Rooey comments on Longer & McEvoy trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Rooey comments on Longer & McEvoy trade

Just to add, IIRC the comment was that we had "stolen" the player Hawthorn were after, so happily gave up McEvoy

IF Hawthorn had not been interested in Longer, St Kilda would not have been.

And it has worked out as it has.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 5:34pm IIRC Hawthorn had shown interest in Longer and, when they obtained McEvoy, lost interest in Longer with St Kilda then courting and signing him.

We already had Hickey on the List at that time - and at season's end Hickey was playing superior football to McEvoy.

McEvoy, again IIRC was playing games in the VFL.
Think your memory is pretty right., Got Hickey by giving BJ the flick and Longer ditto Dal. Bust all around according to Roo and I must agree with him .

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 5:34pm IIRC Hawthorn had shown interest in Longer and, when they obtained McEvoy, lost interest in Longer with St Kilda then courting and signing him.

We already had Hickey on the List at that time - and at season's end Hickey was playing superior football to McEvoy.

McEvoy, again IIRC was playing games in the VFL.

McEvoy played every game in his last year.
I supported the trade at the time. I thought he was beaten too often in the ruck and wasn’t doing as much up forward as we’d hoped.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
suss
Club Player

The game Acres just played is way too fresh in my mind to objectively comment. Nevertheless, if Acres keeps playing like that, then I'd consider we got the better deal, otherwise win / win.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 3:02pm The deal was done in two stages, however it was the one deal. Do you think we would have traded McEvoy for Savage and a late 1st rounder in a compromised draft? Then in isolation, do you really think Hawthorn would have traded Pick 19 in a compromised draft for picks 24 & 59? Why would they do that?

They wanted McEvoy and we wanted picks and a decent experienced player. It was one deal. The latter half was delayed because we weren't sure of what we could offer them as the second pick, 59 or 70 something.

To treat it as two seperate deals is being technical to suit a particular argument.

I'm actually quite disappointed by Roo, it was trashy lazy media. I'll blame it on the producers of the show.
Thanks for the clarification, certainly makes more sense than the straight trade version.

The Hawks must have rated Ben better than Billy as you would think they could have secured him with #17 & a late one.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Its old news and the decisions made around then are by people no longer involved. Nice to talk about in 2019 I guess but its irrelevant now. You work with what you're currently got from decisions made by others.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:21pm Its old news and the decisions made around then are by people no longer involved.
Your kidding aren't you. I thought it was a SCOOP :shock:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Instead of being mischievous, quote my whole post so the context is present.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 6:52pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 3:02pm The deal was done in two stages, however it was the one deal. Do you think we would have traded McEvoy for Savage and a late 1st rounder in a compromised draft? Then in isolation, do you really think Hawthorn would have traded Pick 19 in a compromised draft for picks 24 & 59? Why would they do that?

They wanted McEvoy and we wanted picks and a decent experienced player. It was one deal. The latter half was delayed because we weren't sure of what we could offer them as the second pick, 59 or 70 something.

To treat it as two seperate deals is being technical to suit a particular argument.

I'm actually quite disappointed by Roo, it was trashy lazy media. I'll blame it on the producers of the show.
Thanks for the clarification, certainly makes more sense than the straight trade version.

The Hawks must have rated Ben better than Billy as you would think they could have secured him with #17 & a late one.
They were right into Billy and offered a better pick than we got him for.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:21pm Its old news and the decisions made around then are by people no longer involved. Nice to talk about in 2019 I guess but its irrelevant now. You work with what you're currently got from decisions made by others.
OK, so its old news for tedtheodorelogan2018 but it is relevant for the Saints former captain, 300 game champion who still loves the club.

Now whose opinion do I listen to tedtheodorekaczynksi2018 or Nick Reiwoldt?
If it was you that warranted listening to tedtheodorebundy2018, then you'd be the one on Fox Footy not NICK :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.