What Happened to the "3 Talls" Strategy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What Happened to the "3 Talls" Strategy?

What I want to know is we trained all preseason/JLT with a "3 talls" forward line of Bruce, Membrey (I know he is not too tall) and McCartin but as soon as McCartin goes down we don't replace a like for like. Brown had to come straight back in this week but maybe for someone else other than Joyce and then Battle could have gone to the forward line for the "3 talls" playbook.

Who would not be playing if McCartin was fit and playing?

At this stage of the year maybe trying two rucks with Marshall as the 3rd tall who can chop out in the ruck may be the go or, otherwise, as above.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Happened to the "3 Talls" Strategy?

Balttle is being primed for the back line and he did a good job last week. why should we chop and change him?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:52pm What I want to know is we trained all preseason/JLT with a "3 talls" forward line of Bruce, Membrey (I know he is not too tall) and McCartin but as soon as McCartin goes down we don't replace a like for like. Brown had to come straight back in this week but maybe for someone else other than Joyce and then Battle could have gone to the forward line for the "3 talls" playbook.

At this stage of the year maybe trying two rucks with Marshall as the 3rd tall who can chop out in the ruck may be the go or, otherwise, as above.
I'm confused, your post is a little ambiguous.

Our structure is 3 talls and order has been restored this week.

Battle is now a backman, he trained that position all summer.

When Billy comes back we will be a 2 ruck structure because when Paddy also comes back Marshal plays predominantly ruck/forward and it will be a flanker or small forward that goes out.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 7:58am
Jacks Back wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:52pm What I want to know is we trained all preseason/JLT with a "3 talls" forward line of Bruce, Membrey (I know he is not too tall) and McCartin but as soon as McCartin goes down we don't replace a like for like. Brown had to come straight back in this week but maybe for someone else other than Joyce and then Battle could have gone to the forward line for the "3 talls" playbook.

When Billy comes back we will be a 2 ruck structure because when Paddy also comes back Marshal plays predominantly ruck/forward and it will be a flanker or small forward that goes out.
Agree with OP

We are too small up forward......

This was same last week

Cairnsman.......where is the 3 talls up forward!!!

saint4life
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 8:41am
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 29 Mar 2019 7:58am

Agree with OP

We are too small up forward......

This was same last week

Cairnsman.......where is the 3 talls up forward!!!
Ok it's not the first choice option for the 3 tall structure but I'm expecting Marshall and Blake to rotate through the fwd line.

As per last week I reckon Alan has conceded the ruck contest or at least has a Plan B to win the ball at ground level.

Crossy66
Club Player

Whilst i agree on the 3 talls scenario, this would be the week to go in with 2. I think Acres could be a real weapon if they play him predominately up forward because he will be a tough match up. One on one he is a strong mark and is good on the ground as he is a mid.
I would have liked Long to be included as the main concern will be Essendons pace. We can win this if we bring intense pressure - give them space and time and it will be a tough arvo.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

8cres up forward can be a tough match up. He was a really good kick for goal until last year (like most of the players he had the yips last year). I hope he has practiced his goal scoring.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!