Mav names in Tigers team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Mav names in Tigers team

Wow, delisted by the saints and named on HFF for the Tigers in round one.

Got to hand it to Mav, must have trained the house down.

Good luck to him 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
guitars4
Club Player

Re: Mav names in Tigers team

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:36pm Wow, delisted by the saints and named on HFF for the Tigers in round one.

Got to hand it to Mav, must have trained the house down.

Good luck to him 👍
100% agree I hope he does well

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Was Goddard named for Carlton?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Go Mav, just proving what some on here really know about the game and it's role players, nothing!!!!!

Go well!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:53pm Go Mav, just proving what some on here really know about the game and it's role players, nothing!!!!!

Go well!!!!!
But the coach nailed it right

Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:56pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:53pm Go Mav, just proving what some on here really know about the game and it's role players, nothing!!!!!

Go well!!!!!
Really?

The general consensus based on threads i have read on Saintsational was that Richo plays favorites and that is the only reason Mav got a game. Clearly that is now false.

Mav getting a game for Richmond simply shows that StKilda has serious depth. We lack at the top end.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:20pm
Mav getting a game for Richmond simply shows that StKilda has serious depth. We lack at the top end.
Indeed.. .

Last year it was just Steven and Carlisle. Way too little cream.

Coaching wise :(

This year the cream is still thin. Thinner with Carlisle out, and Hanna seemingly out for a bit too.

Coaching wise. Well I personally like Rats, but....

You can keep swapping players like Weller, Lonie and many others in and out and it makes little difference. They are all capable of supporting good players, that is if you have them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Go well!!!!!
Really?

The general consensus based on threads i have read on Saintsational was that Richo plays favorites and that is the only reason Mav got a game. Clearly that is now false.

I really don’t know what to say to this? Is the argument really that Mav was doing his part but the problem was a lack of players to make his performance not look as bad?

How exactly did you rate Mav’s last 2 seasons

Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:38pm
Shaggy wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:20pm Really?

I really don’t know what to say to this? Is the argument really that Mav was doing his part but the problem was a lack of players to make his performance not look as bad?

The argument is that Richmond picked up Mav after he was de-listed because he can play football and he is now likely to play round 1. He was not drafted by Richmond because he is the coach's favourite. He was drafted because he can play football even though some Saint's supporters disagree.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 12:03am
Shaggy wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:20pm Really?

The argument is that Richmond picked up Mav after he was de-listed because he can play football and he is now likely to play round 1. He was not drafted by Richmond because he is the coach's favourite. He was drafted because he can play football even though some Saint's supporters disagree.
And how did you rate his form over the last 2 years?

Are you even reading what ur typing? How is it that Richo seemingly gets credit for playing him all along and no criticism for delisting this ready made all of a sudden good player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

And just to add...

Richmond making Mav earn his spot and rewarding good form does not in anyway validate how Richo coached him

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Richmond have a number of injuries. Depth player and can try to do the role thing by leaving the forward line clear for Lynch/Reiwoldt. Despite our circumstances its hard to see where MW would fit in the Saints forward set up, if only because we need a goal(s) from all.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He always was a bit of a tiger.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Go well!!!!!
Is your opinion the coach made a mistake delisting Mav?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Go well!!!!!
Really?

How exactly did you rate Mav’s last 2 seasons
Perhaps con has a theory on Dimma and why Mav has been selected?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 8:37am

Go well!!!!!
We just have younger 'role players' with more upside in that position now!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 8:45am
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 8:37am

Go well!!!!!
We just have younger 'role players' with more upside in that position now!!!!!
Two questions SCSO...
Do you think he was playing well for us and would you have extended his contract?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This forum is so weird sometimes...

So now it was a mistake to delist Weller.
The coach was right all along to play him and was also right to delist him
His form over the last 2 years was brilliant apparently
The fans critical of his form know nothing

Yet those sticking it to the critical majority are suspiciously quiet on the topic of would they have extended his contract and how was his form

George Orwell would have an absolute field day here... very definition of double think

Any logical person would surely conclude that if Mav goes to Richmond and starts burning it up and playing to a standard that he couldn’t achieve in the last 2 years here, it would be a bad reflection on our development...
But nooooooooooo. Here on SS the reason a player that was on the list for 4-5 years and couldn’t play to the necessary standard is because we don’t have enough better players to make him look good.

What qualities did Tom Hickey lack that stopped him from being an elite ruck... apparently none. The problem was he needed 3 Chris Judds in the midfield...
SOMEBODY FIND ME A RUCKMEN THAT COMES EQUIPPED WITH 3 CHRIS JUDDS

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Depth player.
They have injuries.

We made the right decision!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 10:27am This forum is so weird sometimes...

Yet those sticking it to the critical majority are suspiciously quiet on the topic of would they have extended his contract and how was his form

George Orwell would have an absolute field day here... very definition of double think

Any logical person would surely conclude that if Mav goes to Richmond and starts burning it up and playing to a standard that he couldn’t achieve in the last 2 years here, it would be a bad reflection on our development...
But nooooooooooo. Here on SS the reason a player that was on the list for 4-5 years and couldn’t play to the necessary standard is because we don’t have enough better players to make him look good.

What qualities did Tom Hickey lack that stopped him from being an elite ruck... apparently none. The problem was he needed 3 Chris Judds in the midfield...
I've stated at least 3-4 times over the last 2 years that Mav Weller at his best, and when fit would have been easily in our best 22 IF we were playing finals. I reckon one of the main problems with the way he was played was that the coach expected him to perform at his best when he had injuries or had niggles that required managing. The coach was too easily swayed by guys like Roo and other senior players who demanded a game even when they were not fit to play. Fans were questioning Mav's impact and his value instead of looking at what he could offer at his best and how he could be utilised and managed to GIVE his best.

There was this belief that we had a chance to make the finals so it came at the expense of the development of our list over the last 3 years, imo. Mav was one of our toughest bash and crash players who needed to be manged rather than playing 22 games in home and away rounds. Richo was reluctant to test the depth of the list because he was reluctant to play younger guys. This came at the expense of the development of the team and the performance of the team as a whole throughout 2017 and 2018. So, you'd get the situation where Mav was not 100% fit and the coaches and footy department were so desperate to get wins on the board in the short term that they sacrificed what was best for the future to look after their own self interest.

It backfired for the coach and his team's performances and for certain individuals in the team. If we were any chance of playing finals in the next 3 years perhaps Mav Weller would still be on our list. I think the Saints realised at some point during our disastrous 2018 that we need a rebuild of sorts and some of our more senior guys needed to be delisted. I hope at some stage this year they come out and declare that we are rebuilding and we can get fair dinkum about restructuring the list.
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 21 Mar 2019 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I think axing Mav was the right call.
Does it mean he can’t go on and be successful at the Tigers? Not at all.

One mans trash is another’s treasure!

I’m not surprised Mav has made an immediate impact, my query is his ability to maintain the standard required to hold his position and still be on the list in 2 years time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 12:13pm

I've stated at least 3-4 times over the last 2 years that Mav Weller at his best, and when fit would be one of my first picks IF we were playing finals. I reckon one of the main problems with the way he was played was that the coach expected him to perform at his best when he had injuries or had niggles that required managing. The coach was too easily swayed by guys like Roo and other senior players who demanded a game even when they were not fit to play. Fans were questioning Mav's impact and his value instead of looking at what he could offer at his best and how he could be utilised and managed to GIVE his best.

There was this belief that we had a chance to make the finals so it came at the expense of the development of our list over the last 3 years, imo. Mav was one of our toughest bash and crash players who needed to be manged rather than playing 22 games in home and away rounds. Richo was reluctant to test the depth of the list because he was reluctant to play younger guys. This came at the expense of the development of the team and the performance of the team as a whole throughout 2017 and 2018. So, you'd get the situation where Mav was not 100% fit and the coaches and footy department were so desperate to get wins on the board in the short term that they sacrificed what was best for the future to look after their own self interest.

It backfired for the coach and his team's performances and for certain individuals in the team. If we were any chance of playing finals in the next 3 years perhaps Mav Weller would still be on our list. I think the Saints realised at some point during our disastrous 2018 that we need a rebuild of sorts and some of our more senior guys needed to be delisted. I hope at some stage this year they come out and declare that we are rebuilding and we can get fair dinkum about restructuring the list.
I think that’s a fantastically insightful post

saynta
Saintsational Legend

As Roos stated. Good on Weller. Delisted from the two clubs tipped to finish on the bottom of the ladder and pick to play round one for the best team in the competition.

I think we all knew Mav could play. He just didn't perform at the required level the past two years.

I don't have a problem with the Saints for delisting him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you have any doubts about what Mav could offer at his best, watch the match from last year when we drew with GWS in the early rounds. Mav had a huge impact and I reckon he would have been maybe in the ten or 12 best players for our team. Also in the best on ground for us were B White, N Coffield, B Acres and some bloke called Hickey. Hopefully the ones remaining at St Kilda get more opportunities in 2019 and are given more responsibility to show what they can offer rather than be lost to other clubs like Hickey and Weller