Jade ready for midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Jade ready for midfield

chico2001 wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 10:14am
skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Nov 2018 4:15pm He’s a tricky one because as much as he’s exactly the type of mid we lack... I don’t want to lose him from the forward line.

He’s one of those players that can do things that others can’t and fans often think was impossible
Agree, I don't think he will be a top midfielder, has too many tricks when he plays there and the opposition are aware of them. Hasn't got the tank either. If he could improve his handball skills in traffic that would be a plus. Maybe pinch hit with him but a much better player around the goals where his tricks work against backmen.
Not sure how a midfielder can have 'too many tricks'?????

Each to their own I suppose Drakeyboy!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Fri 09 Nov 2018 12:10pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 08 Nov 2018 4:15pm He’s a tricky one because as much as he’s exactly the type of mid we lack... I don’t want to lose him from the forward line.

He’s one of those players that can do things that others can’t and fans often think was impossible
Agree, I don't think he will be a top midfielder, has too many tricks when he plays there and the opposition are aware of them. Hasn't got the tank either. If he could improve his handball skills in traffic that would be a plus. Maybe pinch hit with him but a much better player around the goals where his tricks work against backmen.

You missed the point Dusty. All tricks are not good tricks. Might pay for you to watch a few games where Gresham has gone in the middle. Blind turns, baulks, trying to always kick across the body and handballing when out of position etc dont work against top players, they tackle you to death. That style of play does not work in the midfield now.

stonecold
SS Life Member

chico2001 wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 2:18pm

You missed the point Dusty. All tricks are not good tricks. Might pay for you to watch a few games where Gresham has gone in the middle. Blind turns, baulks, trying to always kick across the body and handballing when out of position etc dont work against top players, they tackle you to death. That style of play does not work in the midfield now.
That's your opinion Drake, your entitled to it, only one way to get midfield experience though!!!!!

Good players adapt, that's what I will say, and Jade is/will be top shelf, so I expect him to make a fist of it!!!!!

Let's see how it pans out, as for watching more games, I think I do enough of that already!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 6:16pm
chico2001 wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 2:18pm

That's your opinion Drake, your entitled to it, only one way to get midfield experience though!!!!!

Good players adapt, that's what I will say, and Jade is/will be top shelf, so I expect him to make a fist of it!!!!!

Let's see how it pans out, as for watching more games, I think I do enough of that already!!!!! ;)
Not saying he wont make it coalminer but as I said earlier, probably better for us in the forward line. No point moving out a 40 goals a year player. Who is going to take his place in the forward line? Milne is a fine example of that in the past, tried him briefly as a midfielder.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

alright here is the problem that no one seems to be addressing
J Steven
J Gresham
D Kent ( the next AA on-baller it seems)

all sub 180cm - it will be the smallest group going around

& pre-empting the "what about Hannebery?" - he hasn't been a regular in the centre for two years - lets just get him on the park

Lets just get Bailey Smith and go from there

Seeya
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Of course he is. Possibly the question is can we win or break even in the ruck contests. If not he is probably wasted being a spectator in the middle and when our hard pressed defenders actually rebound having Jade in the fwd half is a good thing, but if we can win the tap, he breaks from the centre - put a score down just about every time. Jade is the new gold.

chico2001
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Nov 2018 6:57pm Of course he is. Possibly the question is can we win or break even in the ruck contests. If not he is probably wasted being a spectator in the middle and when our hard pressed defenders actually rebound having Jade in the fwd half is a good thing, but if we can win the tap, he breaks from the centre - put a score down just about every time. Jade is the new gold.
Count out the rucks breaking even , let alone winning. Starting to dream a bit if you think he will break away from the centre that easy and then hit a team mate on the chest. More like Steven or Seb Ross doing that. One thing Gresh has got is that he is improving every year and you would expect him to do the same in 2019. 45 goals and about 25 assists would do nicely. To be worthy in the centre he would have to average over 20 good possessions a game.