Who do we select with pick 4? POLL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who do we select with pick 4?

Walsh
6%
Smith
32%
Luko
5%
Rankine
33%
B. King
No votes
M. King
20%
Rozee
5%

Total votes: 66

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Who do we select with pick 4? POLL

It's pretty sad that the majority on here know we need pace and/or a mid either Rankine (future mid), Smith (inside not outside) or rozee (outside but small) but we are all resigned to the fact it will be max king,a broken untried forward who to be fair has a lot of potential

wally
Club Player

Victorian Smith.
Its going to get harder to retain good players as time goes by, just eliminate the go-home excuse.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

AFL.com

Tomorrow's Heroes: Max King

"The versatile tall is just as dangerous on the ground as in the air

WHEN MAX King went down in April clutching his knee while playing for Haileybury College, the potential top draft pick knew his season was over.

The exciting key forward, whose twin brother Ben also shapes as a top-10 choice on draft night, had torn his anterior cruciate ligament and underwent surgery in the following weeks.

It was a huge blow for King, who entered the season as one of the most hyped players in this year's NAB AFL Draft pool and missed his chance to impress.

However, he has attacked his rehabilitation with rigour, used his time on the sidelines to add more size to his frame, and has spent two days a week at St Kilda's Moorabbin headquarters to aid his recovery so that he's ready for a return early next season.

Just watch the tape of King's performance against the Oakleigh Chargers earlier this year and you'll see why clubs rate him so highly. His eight-goal performance was full of everything King does so well: he jumped high and took strong marks, he led at the ball and used his pace off the mark to get away from his opponent, and he was crafty, quick and agile at ground level.

King's height makes him extremely difficult to stop in the air, and although his sample size of games is so small this season, he has shown that when he extends at the ball he's hard to contain. He also enjoys the responsibility of being the star in attack – the key forward his teammates look for and kick to.

His height (202cm) and improved strength means he will also be able to play as a pinch-hitting ruck support for the club that chooses him, adding to his appeal.

Clearly the knee injury is the biggest question on King. A prospect suffering such a significant setback before the draft will mean his medical at the Combine will have been crucial for clubs who are considering taking the 18-year-old. In terms of his game, he appears a very well-rounded forward option.

King is a forward who plays like West Coast star Josh Kennedy. He can lead up the ground to get away from his opponent but is equally as comfortable closer to goal taking strong marks or creating opportunities for teammates at ground level. He has genuine star factor.

If not for the injury, King would have been spoken about more regularly this season as a potential No.1 choice. He still seems likely to be selected in the top five, with Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda all interested in the goalkicker.

King might be the most talented player in this year's pool. Injury robbed him of showing what he could do this year, but his talents won't be forgotten. He'll frighten defences for a long time."

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps it is wishful thinking but I'm leaning to the thought that the Suns will hold on to their picks. They need 3 of the best 6 in this draft after losing both Lynch & May. I believe or hope they will choose Max King & Rankine, knowing they will pick up Ben with pick 6. From a retention view, it makes life easier for the Kings.

The Suns have some very good young mids, Rankine adds a touch of polish and I believe the Suns will back themselves to retain him.

With Walsh likely gone at #1, this makes pick #4 incredibly important. Port can guarantee it by swapping #5 & #10. We give them our 3rd rounder.

They get Lukosius, we get Smith & a top 10 (best / highest rated available, possibly Hateley or give that impression)

Adelaide take Rozee at #8. If they want Hateley, they can give us picks #13 & #16 or #21.

I know, a lot of wishful thinking but we need to hold on to #4 for draft night as I have a feeling both the SA guns won't go in the Top 3. We may have an opportunity to turn pick #4 into Smith plus two more picks in the Top 21 if that happens.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I want us to pick up a mid
But unless GC calls out his name first, I think we will pick up Max King

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
chico2001
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:25am It's pretty sad that the majority on here know we need pace and/or a mid either Rankine (future mid), Smith (inside not outside) or rozee (outside but small) but we are all resigned to the fact it will be max king,a broken untried forward who to be fair has a lot of potential
Probably just got a few too many his size and although they are still unproved, Battle,Marshall have plenty of upside. Would'nt expect King to come into the side straight away if we get him unlike the smaller guys.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Rankine IMO.

Would slot straight in for round one.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 4:38pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:25am It's pretty sad that the majority on here know we need pace and/or a mid either Rankine (future mid), Smith (inside not outside) or rozee (outside but small) but we are all resigned to the fact it will be max king,a broken untried forward who to be fair has a lot of potential
Probably just got a few too many his size and although they are still unproved, Battle,Marshall have plenty of upside. Would'nt expect King to come into the side straight away if we get him unlike the smaller guys.
Completely agree and it is nothing against kIng he could be gun but we don't need him as much as a mid but I will be furious if lukosious is there at pick 4 and we don't get him. Hypocritical I know but he is so highly rated and port may sell the farm to get him so shows his potential

saintadamski
Club Player

Rankine looks great, but will return to South Australia in the near future IMO.

I think Smith is more of a mid that we need, who can break the lines in 'Judd' like fashion - I believe he will be a star, and we should take him

The fact that he is Victorian is a huge plus as well

ace
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 7:19pm Looking like most people would be happy with either Smith or Rankine.

Lol. Imagine if we take B. King!
We are going to Shanghai not Beijing.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

The one advantage of Max King is it would stop the club wasting games on "pudding" McCartin, the worst defensive forward left in the game.
Even Menzel kicked goals.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How many draftees go home straightaway after 2 seasons?

Not being critical of the concern but am wondering how realistic it is

chico2001
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 6:42pm How many draftees go home straightaway after 2 seasons?

Not being critical of the concern but am wondering how realistic it is
Someone did cover that in a previous thread, it was a few but not a lot.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Max King comes with risk but also high reward. He won’t have an immediate impact like Rankine or Smith so patience will be required. He has the tools to be a generational star. He’s a mad Saints supporter so zero go home factor. He’ll bleed for the club & in my opinion be the best player from the draft. Likely would’ve gone pick 1 if not for the ACL.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 7:59pm Max King comes with risk but also high reward. He won’t have an immediate impact like Rankine or Smith so patience will be required. He has the tools to be a generational star. He’s a mad Saints supporter so zero go home factor. He’ll bleed for the club & in my opinion be the best player from the draft. Likely would’ve gone pick 1 if not for the ACL.
His highlights are a mixed bag.
Clearly knows how to use his body and is a proper dominant forward

His kicking for goal was so erratic though

ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:08pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 7:59pm Max King comes with risk but also high reward. He won’t have an immediate impact like Rankine or Smith so patience will be required. He has the tools to be a generational star. He’s a mad Saints supporter so zero go home factor. He’ll bleed for the club & in my opinion be the best player from the draft. Likely would’ve gone pick 1 if not for the ACL.

If we get one King there is strong chance that the other will go interstate.
When he wants to return home, (and we would support such thoughts), which club would he choose ?

An ACE is good but two Kings.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 9:08pm

He’s not perfect but let’s not judge him solely off one game of highlights.

Rarely do we see a bloke 202cm & still growing that mobile taking the footy at the biggest point. Played as a ruck rover until two years ago. He’ll be near impossible to beat at any level.

He’s like Rory Lobb with aggression & an actual footy brain. A scary prospect. He’ll be too good for the club to pass on.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Nice to see some positive aspects about king being mentioned but personally I feel he is not what we need. Say we get him, what happens next year?
Our midfield is still one paced and Steven will have to play out of skin again. He can't keep doing it alone.
Where does king play? If we play him at all it won't be until his body is right as his body frame seems slight so mid year I am guessing. So no impact until June which by then.Our season will most.likely have been decided
Who do we drop? Someone will have to sit out. Will it be battle or Marshall who need games, Bruce, Paddy, skunk someone has to go.
How good is he? I agree that one game of highlights isn't enough to base any conclusions on. Yes he takes a lot of marks over the top of kids he is a foot taller than but so did paddy. Was his poor shots at goal a bad game or the norm.
Bottom line for me is I will welcome him as per any new.player but where we are right now we don't need him as much as others

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing that concerned me about his kicking wasn’t that he missed set shots per’se... he really missed them.

As in 40m out slight angle = out on the full. Really sprays them at times so there is a technique issue there that I don’t know if we can fix.

It was the strange contrast btw being impressed by a guy that puts himself in a position to have 12 shots at goal in a game with kicking that was early Stewart Loewe standard

From what I’ve read about him, set shots are an ongoing concern

I will say this... he looked a better prospect than Paddy the year he was drafted.
I wouldn’t be unhappy to draft to him... it would just raise more questions about the direction of our list. If we get him then surely Paddy is out?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

A couple of points.

Our midfield not unlike the rest of our playing group needs a lot of work. We need quality across all lines.

Yes, we do have a number of key forwards on our list but what if they are ordinary & not capable of being best 22 players in a team competing in finals?

We won 4 games this year & have a lack of direction from the head coach & a proven poor development program in place. We are not on the brink of finals & adding a midfielder is not going to be the difference to get us into the finals.

It’s important to look at the big picture, not pick a midfielder because we need the immediate impact & to instead pick the best player available.

There’s nothing I’ve witnessed from Paddy to think he makes it. If he wasn’t pick 1 he’d be on a year to year contract on minimum salary. King is so much different it ain’t funny. Totally different players. One is an athletic giant & the other lacks athleticism & is undersized. There’s midfielders taller than Paddy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As DJHiggins said, I will support whoever we draft. If it is King then we have to make a decision on McCartin & Bruce because I believe Battle & Marshall show more athleticism and vigour for the contest, including 2nd efforts.
Picking a mid now allows that kid, hopefully Smith, to learn from and be sheltered by Steven, Hannerbury and Ross for that two to three year period whilst his body becomes use to AFL, this will also (hopefully) be around the break out years for Clark, Coffield, Paton and possibly Langlands.
Whilst McCartin has not threatened to have a break out season, two pre seasons of weight loss & a PB, we have decided to stick with him so someone must see something other than the diminishing value of his stock.
Take the mid, no point having an abundance of key forwards if we still struggle getting the ball to them with any quality, system or precision.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

do we pick who we want or who we think the club will (be able to) pick?
quite a difference.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
DJ Higgins
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Thu 01 Nov 2018 12:05pm do we pick who we want or who we think the club will (be able to) pick?
quite a difference.
I don't quite understand this comment. Most comments are about who will be there at pick 4. i.e. I want Walsh but that ain't happening.
If suns take Lukosius and Rankine then I'd take Cozee or Smith i.e. a mid but our club will probably take Max King because..... honestly I don't know why, because he rehabs with us, he barracks for us as a kid, he comes from a good family, has impeccable table manners, none of which mean jack once the whistle blows
If suns take either King or Kings then Rankine or Lukosius is ours (assuming no late pick trade). Lukosius in a perfect world then Rankine but happy with either

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Smith the winner it seems.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If we draft Lukosious or Rankine, and then say in 2 years they want to go home, what are we going to ask for in return - it will be 2 x first round draft picks.
So you could argue do the deal now with one of the SA clubs if they are still there at 4.

FWIW- I would take Rankine if he is there. I think he is exactly what we need.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton