Hickey gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey gone?

st.byron wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 3:29pm
degruch wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 2:48pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 2:44pm AFL website reporting that Lobb has chosen Fremantle and will seek a deal to land there.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-08/w ... he-dockers

So that would perhaps increase the likelihood of Hickey finding his way to WCE.
Sounds like it...it would probably be a two-way race between Hickey and Roughead, who most neutrals seem to see as same-same. We might hold the whip hand, but Roughy is a FA and may come cheaper, so if we push too hard Weagles may look elsewhere. From what I'm reading they may be set to gain some picks in the mid-high 20's from trades, I'd love one of them.
Both about the same age. (3 months apart). Hick 80 games, Roughead 140. If there’s no competition for Roughead, and WCE rate them similar, they hold the reins in negotiations.
I've read and / or heard that Hickey is the preferred option.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 4:33pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 3:29pm Both about the same age. (3 months apart). Hick 80 games, Roughead 140. If there’s no competition for Roughead, and WCE rate them similar, they hold the reins in negotiations.
this is a litmus test for our club tho
yep WC at this stage seem to have the upper hand
they are hoping Nicnat comes back next year - but really at 28 how many more good years has he got?
So they lose Lycett and have looked to Hickey as a statistically similar player but his age is similar to NicNat and will cost something in negotiation terms
J roughead is in the picture as a RFA and comes at 28yrs but a much poorer ruckman
They could also get Mumford and a wheelchair for 12 months or go with best local ruck in the WAFL - cheap cheap

they way I see it - they have options but there really is only 1 ruckman out there so we should dictate them terms
lets say a sub 30 pick
we wont
Agree it needs be higher than pick 30. Anything less would be a fail. Closer to 20 I reckon.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can we get the result of the medical. It would be interesting to have a comparison of Tom's physical attributes as assessed by the Weagles and Billy's. There must be plenty about Billy's aches and pains on the myhealth website as the poor guy has copped plenty over the last two years. It can only be a matter of time before Gawn and Grundy also cop serious injuries - Paddy Ryder and Nic Nat have - and the Dees and Pies will struggle accordingly. Being a ruckman in AFL might just be one of the toughest roles in professional sport (yes Stonecold?). Anyway, all power to Lewis, our next favourite ruckman.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I still say we hold out for their first pick.

We let Cripps go for a packet of twisties because he wanted to go home to Perth.. The Eagles said at the time that they would respond in kind. They had their chance with Mitch Brown, who wanted to move back to Melbourne and they didn't.

So, it is pick 20, or Hick stays. I want him to stay anyway, he's contracted for next year. On principle I want the club to be very careful about who they re-contract from the group of players who are coming out of contract this year, with the exception of Lonie who showed something in the last four or five games - although he is no match winner - yet.

Pierce and Marshall showed a bit in the last six games as well as Lonie, but we didn't actually win a game in that time, so while they may have earned more games, the court of public opinion will have to wait until next year to make their minds up.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
To the top
SS Life Member

IF we trade Hickey on the basis that we have Longer and Pierce, log in Draft Pick Number 1 next year on the back of a winless season

Marshall is a mobile tall who can give a chop out in the ruck

Why do St Kilda have such high regard for such ordinary players on their List?

Starting from the Captain

Ordinary begets ordinary - and that unfortunately is St Kilda hence the Clubs record

The games I saw Pierce in, he was out worked because of a lack of mobility and exposed accordingly - but at least he took a mark so in front of Longer

Hickey and Marshall are the requirement

Or do we get our kicks out of having former St Kilda players receiving premiership medallions - with other Clubs because that also is the history of St Kilda

And now we have 3 former St Kilda players in the West Coast side which are the premiership favourites for 2019 based on their 2018 premiership

Go figure

derby Street
Club Player

To the top wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 10:09pm IF we trade Hickey on the basis that we have Longer and Pierce, log in Draft Pick Number 1 next year on the back of a winless season

Why do St Kilda have such high regard for such ordinary players on their List?

Starting from the Captain

Ordinary begets ordinary - and that unfortunately is St Kilda hence the Clubs record

The games I saw Pierce in, he was out worked because of a lack of mobility and exposed accordingly - but at least he took a mark so in front of Longer

Hickey and Marshall are the requirement

Or do we get our kicks out of having former St Kilda players receiving premiership medallions - with other Clubs because that also is the history of St Kilda

And now we have 3 former St Kilda players in the West Coast side which are the premiership favourites for 2019 based on their 2018 premiership

Go figure
Who are the 3 - Cripps, Hutchings and ?????

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I assume he’s including Hickey in the three.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
derby Street
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 10:33pm I assume he’s including Hickey in the three.
Thanks Kosi - I wasn't quite as perceptive.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 9:45pm I still say we hold out for their first pick.

We let Cripps go for a packet of twisties because he wanted to go home to Perth.. The Eagles said at the time that they would respond in kind. They had their chance with Mitch Brown, who wanted to move back to Melbourne and they didn't.

So, it is pick 20, or Hick stays. I want him to stay anyway, he's contracted for next year. On principle I want the club to be very careful about who they re-contract from the group of players who are coming out of contract this year, with the exception of Lonie who showed something in the last four or five games - although he is no match winner - yet.

Pierce and Marshall showed a bit in the last six games as well as Lonie, but we didn't actually win a game in that time, so while they may have earned more games, the court of public opinion will have to wait until next year to make their minds up.
You’re dreaming if you think we get a first rounder.. :roll:

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 10:09pm IF we trade Hickey on the basis that we have Longer and Pierce, log in Draft Pick Number 1 next year on the back of a winless season

Want a wager on that Guru????

Agree there!!!!!

Will not with the Flag if Hickledik plays there!!!!!

Go figure

Go Figure What?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 11:19pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 9:45pm I still say we hold out for their first pick.

Then we should keep Hickey then. We don't have a better ruckman currently, and we certainly don't owe West Coast anything. They're chasing him, not us trying to offload him. And there's first rounders and first rounders - pick #20 is not the same as picks #10-15.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:00am
mightysainters wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 11:19pm

Then we should keep Hickey then. We don't have a better ruckman currently, and we certainly don't owe West Coast anything. They're chasing him, not us trying to offload him. And there's first rounders and first rounders - pick #20 is not the same as picks #10-15.
Hickey is a nothing and if we can get a second rounder, we’re in front.. stop overrating him. Gets slaughtered often

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Lycett is gone, to Port.
Released statement saying he's grateful to WCE
but excited to going to the club he supported since childhood.

WCE gets compo pick at end of first round.

This will strengthen the grab for Hickey.
WCE might give us their compo pick.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Would definitely take a pick in the 20's for Hickey.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
To the top
SS Life Member

Alex Ferguson’s view was that he paid no heed to what bottom Clubs did - only to those he viewed as competition

On that basis, if we release Hickey to WCE, they would not care what they gave us because St Kilda are not in the same competition as WCE

But, inclusive of Hickey, WCE will commence their Flag defence with 3 former St Kilda players leading their charge which should warm the hearts of every St Kilda follower

Meanwhile St Kilda are left with Pierce and Longer

WCE are laughing all the way to the bank

So who else can we trade out to get Second and Third Round Picks and drive our recovery to competitive?

And we are doing damage to those on our List who do have the necessary abilities eg Steven asking the questions he is reported as having asked

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 12:47pm Lycett is gone, to Port.
Released statement saying he's grateful to WCE
but excited to going to the club he supported since childhood.

WCE gets compo pick at end of first round.

This will strengthen the grab for Hickey.
WCE might give us their compo pick.
AFL site reporting WCE receive pick 20 for Lycett. They now have 20 and 22. Also being reported they might use both of them together (worth more points than pick 8) as a way to get Kelly from Geelong.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:18pm Alex Ferguson’s view was that he paid no heed to what bottom Clubs did - only to those he viewed as competition

On that basis, if we release Hickey to WCE, they would not care what they gave us because St Kilda are not in the same competition as WCE

But, inclusive of Hickey, WCE will commence their Flag defence with 3 former St Kilda players leading their charge which should warm the hearts of every St Kilda follower

Meanwhile St Kilda are left with Pierce and Longer

WCE are laughing all the way to the bank

So who else can we trade out to get Second and Third Round Picks and drive our recovery to competitive?

And we are doing damage to those on our List who do have the necessary abilities eg Steven asking the questions he is reported as having asked
...assuming Tom can displace Nic and Vardy as the 1st and 2nd drop ruckman, you'd have to think WCE view Tom as the backup and if he develops beyond that then it's a bonus.

WCE are recent proof you don't need an A grade or elite ruckman to win a flag. 2 serviceable and versatile types will get the job done. We have 3 players that can fit that specification.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If we get their combo pick I will be happy. Pick 19/20 will be overs. Pick 38 isn't great but is worth thiking about

Gershwin
Club Player

I saw enough in Pierce to suggest that he can be our number one ruckman. Marshall looks able to take a mark and do some relief rucking. Longer as back-up. Trade Hickey for as good as we can get then move on. Don't get stuck in indecision because of what Hickey might become. Concentrate on us.

summertime and the living is easy ........
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I don't get the impression any trade will happen fast, as Kelly would be a priority for the Budgies. 20 and 22 packaged up with some other incentives will go towards any trade for Kelly first. If Hickey looks too hard they can land Roughead without too much fuss.

stonecold
SS Life Member

degruch wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 1:40pm I don't get the impression any trade will happen fast, as Kelly would be a priority for the Budgies. 20 and 22 packaged up with some other incentives will go towards any trade for Kelly first. If Hickey looks too hard they can land Roughead without too much fuss.
Yeap and if we get a 2nd round pick for Hickey, that's a win for us!!!!!

TTT, not sure what Alex Ferguson has to do with AFL footy or St.Kilda FC, but, hey knock yourself out with the comparison between there game and ours!!!!!

saintrod
Club Player

WCE will only offer pick 38 now. If they can't get Hickey for that and I don't think it's worth accepting that for him they will offer that pick to the dogs for Roughead. WCE can't afford to take him as a free agent as they will lose the compensation pick for Lycett which they will try to use to get Kelly.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saintrod wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 2:06pm WCE will only offer pick 38 now. If they can't get Hickey for that and I don't think it's worth accepting that for him they will offer that pick to the dogs for Roughead. WCE can't afford to take him as a free agent as they will lose the compensation pick for Lycett which they will try to use to get Kelly.
Geelong won't accept 2nd rnd picks for Kelly!!!!!

saintrod
Club Player

Agree Geelong unlikely to accept 2nd round picks for Kelly but there is also another story running around that they may be able ro get Sydney pick 1 for their 2 2nd rounders

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 2:09pm
saintrod wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 2:06pm WCE will only offer pick 38 now. If they can't get Hickey for that and I don't think it's worth accepting that for him they will offer that pick to the dogs for Roughead. WCE can't afford to take him as a free agent as they will lose the compensation pick for Lycett which they will try to use to get Kelly.
Geelong won't accept 2nd rnd picks for Kelly!!!!!
I think they are suggesting WCE might be able to trade their way to a top ten pick using their two low 20's picks and perhaps a player