If we had the right recruiters ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: If we had the right recruiters ...

saintadamski wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 2:37pm
samoht wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:27am
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:23am
BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:03pm The Cho has NFI.
He is part of the list management and selection teams.
You cant excuse him from the list mgt after 5 years at the helm.

It is the Cho who decides to play the likes of Weller, Newnes, Savage and Geary week in week out.
It is the Cho who picks Paddy and ignores the bleeding obvious - that he isnt fit enough.
+ 1
Our coach might have little choice. Which A graders are Weller, Newnes, Savage and Geary keeping out of the team - is it DeGoey, Brayshaw (we wish)? Weller was dropped, anyway.
Where are our skillful outside midfielders - why didn't we recruit/draft a player with outside ability and X factor like De Goey? We had too many inside midfielders with average skills - and just kept recruiting more, and we overlooked a robust, quick, skillful player with X factor and outside running ability like DeGoey. We also overlooked an A grade skillful midfielder in the making, in Brayshaw. Inexcusable. Our recruiters have no plan and NFI - they just recruit willy nilly.
Anyway, I've had my say - this thread was about "if we had the right recruiters" ... but most of you keep bringing it back to "coach and development", which has already been discussed to death ... so I take it that most of you must be over the moon with our scattergun recruiting, and see no harm in it or are just indifferent to it. :wink:
+1

and on another topic - I feel we should be drafting Rankine if he is still available

Quick running ability - tick
skilled - tick
smart footy brain - tick
X factor - huge tick
I agree. Rankine would be a great get - just what our team needs and he does indeed tick all the non-negotiables (that our recruiters need to tick/check off from now on, to prevent bad/poor recruiting).

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 2:52pm

I agree. Rankine would be a great get - just what our team needs and he does indeed tick all the non-negotiables (that our recruiters need to tick/check off from now on, to prevent bad/poor recruiting).
Don't worry - he'll have that coached out of him pretty quickly.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 5:26pm
samoht wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 2:52pm

Don't worry - he'll have that coached out of him pretty quickly.
Just like Steele, Roberton, Ross, Steven, Membrey, Carlisle, Savage, Webster, Gresham etc... Shiel be right mate. Richoice, Alanluyah!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Flagless
Club Player

Zed wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 9:51pm young, robust/strong-bodied players with courage and skill

You could easily argue that all of Dunstan, Acres, Billings, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie all met this criteria when they were recruited.

I would say skill, footy smarts, and pace need to be prioritised followed by a minimum height of 185cm

"I'm with you on this one, "footy smarts"is something that has been lacking for some time- we have very few genuinely clever footballers. When players have that it can hide a lot of sins, but when you dont have it, it exposes any weaknes in the skill department. Geary is a clasic example- tries his heart out and doesnt lack for courage but he is about the dumbest footballer going around