Ratten said to be leaving Hawks- I hope to us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ratten said to be leaving Hawks- I hope to us

Ratten just reported on SEN as leaving.

Too good to not to be off somewhere. I hope it us as I rate him.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 02 Aug 2018 6:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratten said to be leaving Hawks- I hope to us

It wouldn't surprise if he just wanted to take a break.

SuperDuper
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 5:08pm Ratten just reported on SEN as leaving.

Too good to not to be off somewhere. I hope it us as I rate him.
would be happy to have him, yes..

far better than the spuds Carlton have had since he was head coach
They over rated their list when they dumped him

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I’d be quite happy with Ratten, Mitchell & Hayes

derby Street
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 7:23pm I’d be quite happy with Ratten, Mitchell & Hayes
For some reason Hawthorn wouldn't guarantee him a position for next year - guess they are waiting on Sam?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 7:51pm
prwilkinson wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 7:23pm I’d be quite happy with Ratten, Mitchell & Hayes
For some reason Hawthorn wouldn't guarantee him a position for next year - guess they are waiting on Sam?
Sam was a Saints supporter as a kid, would be good to have anyone involved that has been apart of so much success and the inner workings of a succesful club...and get Banger back now he has seen how the skunks work.

older saint
SS Life Member

Ratten would be good to provide someone who has coached at AFL level before in the background.
Mitchell highly rated and maybe good but unproven and going on playing reputation which may or may not transfer.
Caracella at Richmond would be a real get .

Competition then for the next coach - Kingsley, Caracella, Harvey,

degruch
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:42pm Ratten would be good to provide someone who has coached at AFL level before in the background.
Mitchell highly rated and maybe good but unproven and going on playing reputation which may or may not transfer.

Yes, I'd temper the enthusiasm on Mitchell just a little, as he's effectively unproven...sounds like he has a touch of Scott 'my way or the highway' Watters about him too, which is a little stressful. Agree on Ratten and Caracella.

derby Street
Club Player

degruch wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 9:11am
older saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:42pm Ratten would be good to provide someone who has coached at AFL level before in the background.

Yes, I'd temper the enthusiasm on Mitchell just a little, as he's effectively unproven...sounds like he has a touch of Scott 'my way or the highway' Watters about him too, which is a little stressful. Agree on Ratten and Caracella.
Word has it that Caracella is staying at Richmond on an improved contract

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I think we might be a chance with Ratten. Wouldn't be surprised if we have sought him out and interviewed him already.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
amusingname
Club Player

A slight whisper I heard (no real inside source or anything) is that Mitchell announcing that he is coming back to Melbourne and Ratten deciding to look elsewhere are not completely unrelated. Thought is that Mitchell will be back at Hawthorn, so Ratts may have taken that as an indication that he may not be next in line there so decided to see what else is on offer.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 9:11am

Tend to agree
Have nothing to base it on other than Mitchell comes across as pretty happy with himself..
That said you shouldnt judge a book....
Mind you ....some utter knobs on here and I’ve never met them but am certain they’re cabbages

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bigfooty Hawk poster suggesting we’ve made massive offer to Roos with Mitchell and Ratten included..

Will see...

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 8:31pm Bigfooty Hawk poster suggesting we’ve made massive offer to Roos with Mitchell and Ratten included..

Will see...
I heard Paul Roos on FoxFooty earlier this year commenting on the Carlton senior coach and the dilemna he finds himself in with regard to having to accept the senior role at Carlton and not being in control of who he has surrounding and supporting him as his senior assistant coaches. One of the things that Roos said was the most important proviso in him accepting the senior coaches role at Melbourne Football Club was that he demanded that he bring in his hand selected team of assistants.

Roos said it is vitally important with the amount of work and the delegation required to fulfil the role that he had people alongside him that he believed were not only competent and skilled but also people he could trust and that were on the same page.

Not sure if Roos has ever had any working relationship with Ratten or Mitchell or if he knows them or is close to them in any way. I'm hoping the Roos name is a smokescreen and that the team we might get might include Ratten, Mitchell and one other bloke who is very close to these two

axcellence
Club Player

I like Ratten... Purely because he gave Harvey his first assistant coaching role

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 9:20pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 8:31pm Bigfooty Hawk poster suggesting we’ve made massive offer to Roos with Mitchell and Ratten included..

Will see...
I heard Paul Roos on FoxFooty earlier this year commenting on the Carlton senior coach and the dilemna he finds himself in with regard to having to accept the senior role at Carlton and not being in control of who he has surrounding and supporting him as his senior assistant coaches. One of the things that Roos said was the most important proviso in him accepting the senior coaches role at Melbourne Football Club was that he demanded that he bring in his hand selected team of assistants.

Roos said it is vitally important with the amount of work and the delegation required to fulfil the role that he had people alongside him that he believed were not only competent and skilled but also people he could trust and that were on the same page.

Not sure if Roos has ever had any working relationship with Ratten or Mitchell or if he knows them or is close to them in any way. I'm hoping the Roos name is a smokescreen and that the team we might get might include Ratten, Mitchell and one other bloke who is very close to these two
Seems unlikely to me and not sure Roos is the messiah he’s made out to be
Ratten seems ok 55% win stat as coach took Carlton back to finals before they decided Malthouse was their saviour...he also previously worked there with Richo.....so a nice soft sell to Alan you would have to think sexton goes if that eventuates?

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
stonecold
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 1:03am My #1 wish!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94703&p=1744346#p1744335
Abuse to who?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Why the love for Ratten?

What has he done in his coaching career to warrant the opinion on this forum?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 04 Aug 2018 1:57pm Why the love for Ratten?

What has he done in his coaching career to warrant the opinion on this forum?
He's not Alan.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-03/r ... ain-clarko

"ALASTAIR Clarkson has endorsed former Carlton coach Brett Ratten as an ideal candidate to take charge of another club or serve as a director of coaching.

Hawthorn announced on Thursday that Ratten would "explore new opportunities" after spending six years at the Hawks as an assistant coach since the Blues sacked him.

Ratten, 47, could yet return to Waverley Park next year if a suitable rival offer doesn't eventuate in the coming months, according to four-time premiership coach Clarkson.

The August 1 deadline for club officials to give assistant coaches some clarity about their immediate future created the Ratten situation.

"He just feels that after six years of being in a similar role at our footy club, we can't offer him the role that, perhaps, he's exploring as either a senior coach or a director of footy … at this point in time," Clarkson said.

"If it doesn't materialise, then we'll see where things all sit in six or eight weeks, because for us we can't really confirm our structure at this point in time, too.

"The design of this whole thing is to give some clarity to coaches and footy clubs on where everyone sits at a time before the silly season in October – and I think it's a good thing.

"But it's just a little bit hard. It's a little bit like free agency; it's just hard to get your head around the fact people are still employed by your club when they might be elsewhere the following season."

Ratten was hesitant in recent years to publicly state his interest in going for another senior coaching job, but this move is a strong indication he is ready to put his hand up again.

Carlton won 60 of 120 games under Ratten, who started as a caretaker in 2005 after Denis Pagan's unsuccessful stint in charge and lifted the club to three finals appearances.

But a disappointing 2012 season, when the Blues were considered top-four contenders and instead won 11 games and finished 10th, proved the end for Ratten.

"Oh, yeah – he's a ripper," Clarkson said of whether Ratten was capable of still being a senior coach.

"I think we've seen, with what's gone on with Carlton over the last five or six years, that in actual fact his win-loss record and the way that club was tracking at that point in time was pretty good.

"Now, in the wisdom of their decision-making, they chose to make a change at that point in time (to Mick Malthouse) and it cost 'Ratts' his job, but I think he's a very astute coach.

"He's been great for us and his first three years here he helped us win three flags and now he's … helping us rebuild our group and give ourselves another opportunity."

If clarko thinks he is ok then that's good enough for me.

doggerel
Club Player

It would make a lot of sense for Lethlean to have lined Ratten up. If we have a similarly disappointing year in 2019 we can pull the trigger on Richo with 8 rounds to go and give Ratten a good audition.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Please tell me we have lined up ratten for the top job and we will announce richos sacking this week?