McCartin Concern

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: McCartin Concern

saintspremiers wrote:
chook23 wrote:Even before knocks x 2

He was clearly struggling with his health issue.......

Slow.....unfit.....no second effort (energy)

I f he is out for a couple I am concerned it is not just the knock (whiplash) contributing........

He was struggling to even compete at any level on Sunday......
It was reported he had hypoglycaemia at the start of the second term. A serious drop in blood sugar due to
his diabetes not being under control (so to speak - don’t judge him without the facts).

If severe, a person can end up in a coma and die. If you get onto it quickly, you get some sugary food into the person ASAP and that perks them up. The condition makes a diabetic very lethargic/drowsy.

FWIW I’ve seen this happen to someone, and it’s quite unsettling to see.
Yep they would have the complimentary jelly beans at the boundary line and revise the intake and quality of food to come within the framework of serious energy usage.

Don't envy Paddy's condition. Its pretty amazing he can actually do this at all.

Low sugar also affects brain functionality even before the onset of hypoglycaemia so decisions may not be always spot on prior to the onset. The brain definitely need sugar.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
congorozides
Club Player

wolfpup wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Instead of bagging McCartin perhaps some supporters need to look at how the ball is kicked to him.
thats a fair enough call.

lets not write him off.
If he is relying on having the ball lace out on the lead he isnt going to have much of a career at AFL level.
Even in a good side that might only happen once or twice a game.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Well his brother played a very McCartin like game. Only worse.

Give it a rest!!!!!

How many AFL games the 'Desertsaint' family played?????
international - different footy code.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
congorozides
Club Player

McKay and Curnow are already ahead of Paddy and both can play in multiple positions.

stonecold
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Well his brother played a very McCartin like game. Only worse.

Give it a rest!!!!!

How many AFL games the 'Desertsaint' family played?????
international - different footy code.
Fair enough!!!!!

Is there a different footy code????? ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We're better off developimg Battle and have Bruce and Skunk as the other talls

If Geelong want him we should consider a trade. I'd take a second round at this stage unless Paddy can prove he is worthy of more before the end of the year

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Gee Paddy is a beautiful field kick.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

In few years time he is going to be an absolutely beast - patience my fellow forumites

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Think he had another very good game, all he needs is a little more confidence and to kick a bit straighter and he’ll tear a game apart!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 5:45pm Think he had another very good game, all he needs is a little more confidence and to kick a bit straighter and he’ll tear a game apart!
If we'd lost today there'd be a few more voices and they would be exaggerating in the negative rather than praising Paddy like you just did

We won today inspite of his bad kicking and dropped sitter of a mark in the last quarter

I think we over rate him because he's on our list. If decisions have to be made on either keeping Juice/Skunk/Battle versus a different combination which includes Paddy please let us know which way you'd prefer going forward.

When we first recruited Paddy and Skunk there was congesture as to who deserved game time and who would contribute more to the team as well as the over riding theme of who would develop into a damaging forward. The only way we saw that Skunk was better than Paddy was by playing him....I think Juice/Skunk/Battle offer more upside but the only way to prove it one way or another is to play this combo.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Good post, scollop.
Our forward combo worked well together - and Paddy also took a nice steadying mark on the wing, late in the game.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Damn if only he converted more today.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 5:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 5:45pm Think he had another very good game, all he needs is a little more confidence and to kick a bit straighter and he’ll tear a game apart!
If we'd lost today there'd be a few more voices and they would be exaggerating in the negative rather than praising Paddy like you just did

We won today inspite of his bad kicking and dropped sitter of a mark in the last quarter

I think we over rate him because he's on our list. If decisions have to be made on either keeping Juice/Skunk/Battle versus a different combination which includes Paddy please let us know which way you'd prefer going forward.

When we first recruited Paddy and Skunk there was congesture as to who deserved game time and who would contribute more to the team as well as the over riding theme of who would develop into a damaging forward. The only way we saw that Skunk was better than Paddy was by playing him....I think Juice/Skunk/Battle offer more upside but the only way to prove it one way or another is to play this combo.
Paddy is a totally different type of player to Membrey, and that is what you need. It has never been Paddy vs Membrey for that reason. Battle also compliments it well. Paddy could improve his kicking but gets to good spots, and also takes his player(s) away from Membrey/Battle sometimes when they are leading. They worked well together today. There was much less "congesture" in the forward line. Don't know where Bruce fits in at the moment.

older saint
SS Life Member

His misses were generally from 50 and near the boundary so tough kicks. Missed one easy one. thought player well and a few really strong marks.

SuperDuper
Club Player

also took a strong mark coming out of defense in that last quarter... needs another huge pre season then we can judge him agin next year.. may be AFL standard by then.. atm he is borderline but still developing

SuperDuper
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:13pm

also took a strong mark coming out of defense in that last quarter... needs another huge pre season then we can judge him agin next year.. may be AFL standard by then and hopefully able to really impact games.. atm he is borderline but still developing

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Power forwards don't grow on trees. I reckon there's more chance of Richmond trading Dusty than the Saints giving away Paddy/N1DP. Today is arguably the first time the three talls have worked well together which is all becsuse they are stringing games together to help them execute the forward play. They looked fluid and Paddy is picking things up.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Out of our 4 key forwards I would have Membrey at the top, then Paddy/Bruce, and Battle last. An in-form Bruce would move to 1 or 2, but haven’t seen an in-form Bruce for a while.

I thought Paddy had a better game today than Battle, plus played on the better defender.

I don’t think we can play all 4, but I dont know who to leave out...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_President
Club Player

Would be silly to trade him, especially if the rule change comes in where players must stay in the 50

The_President
Club Player

Would be silly to trade him, especially if the rule change comes in where players must stay in the 50

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:18pm Would be silly to trade him, especially if the rule change comes in where players must stay in the 50
Trade talk and Paddy is insane. And yeah you'd have to think the new zone rules will help power forwards.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:09pm

Paddy is a totally different type of player to Membrey, and that is what you need. It has never been Paddy vs Membrey for that reason. Battle also compliments it well. Paddy could improve his kicking but gets to good spots, and also takes his player(s) away from Membrey/Battle sometimes when they are leading. They worked well together today. There was much less "congesture" in the forward line. Don't know where Bruce fits in at the moment.
Aha..... 'congestion' .... different meaning and different word to 'conjecture' :)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see Bruce Paddy Membrey and Battle all in the same forward line rotating through - would be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders as all can roam and/or stay at home - throw in a combination of Gresh Stuv Long Billings Clarke and RANKINE at their feet with some running through the middle and the nightmare just gets a little darker for our opponents

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:15pm

Out of our 4 key forwards I would have Membrey at the top, then Paddy/Bruce, and Battle last. An in-form Bruce would move to 1 or 2, but haven’t seen an in-form Bruce for a while.

I thought Paddy had a better game today than Battle, plus played on the better defender.

I don’t think we can play all 4, but I dont know who to leave out...

It would be tough on Brown, who has been good for us, but do you bring Bruce in as a defender. He’s played there before.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 6:42pm I would love to see Bruce Paddy Membrey and Battle all in the same forward line rotating through - would be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders as all can roam and/or stay at home - throw in a combination of Gresh Stuv Long Billings Clarke and RANKINE at their feet with some running through the middle and the nightmare just gets a little darker for our opponents
It'd be good if we could play 6 defenders, 6 mids, and 8 forwards plus 4 on the bench but I think we'd lose every match due to disqualification
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 01 Jul 2018 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.