Sharks are Circling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sharks are Circling

Now, now, it's not a competition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 9:13pm
chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 1:20am Melbourne play the saints next ...so we can get a fairly good idea how McCartin will go on Dunne...a smaller full back and how Petracca will go on Armitage or someone of that ilk.
I've got a feeling that Dunne (Lynden) now plays for Collingwood, so Paddy is going to struggle to kick goals on him in a match against Melbourne.
You really have to laugh sometimes.

Who said ignorance was bliss :wink: .

chico2001
Club Player

You liar fox...you had no idea

Crossy66
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 5:05pm It means everything....people are judging them on this year , last year and the next game. McCartin has to kick goals and if Petracca plays a good game it will shut those up on the forum who reckon he is no great shakes. Melbourne must win and the same for the saints. So explain why judging either one on this game is pointless?

So when will he be a good player then? Just cant fathom that last sentence, been out once this year with a head knock and kicking under a goal a game. Let us know when he is averaging 2 goals a game and then it can be said he is getting better especially as you say the saints chose the best key forward.
My point was that one game doesnt define a player. If Petracca has a bad one followed by another 200 blinders, then his worth as a player will be judged accordingly.
My view on Petracca (as i think a few other people on this forum) is that he is going ok and looks like he will be a good player, but to judge it right now, this season, he is tracking behind Brayshaw, DeGoey and probably Touk Miller (taken at No 29 same draft). Statistically he is behind Billings, so the point is at this stage he is not quite the superstar.
Same with Paddy, We'll judge his career over the long term, not game number 34. I think most good judges would agree that Paddy is developing nicely. Re: you been unable to fathom my comment on Paddy, not sure if you are aware, Paddy has missed a lot of footy through head knocks over a number of years and is danger of having to give the game away if he gets another one or two. So my view is that a career ending head knock is the only thing i see stopping him from becoming a good player
You seem to doubt that we took the best key forward in that draft, if you disagree, i would be interested to know which key forward you would have chosen ahead of him.

Also dont understand your love of Petracca - a bloody Melbourne player!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Clincher stats: Christian's dogs bit him (animals know!); Paddy has not been attacked by a pet although has had some bird of pray, i.e. falcon type, issues; however his girlfriend (who is gorgeous) loves him; Similarly but in a different way Christian's mother loves him; Paddy is taller and heavier and as we know plays for a far better club. Neither have blonde hair. Paddy had his car stolen but Christian's smells of wet dog so would never be stolen. Paddy looks ok in a helmet, a fashion statement Christian is yet to embrace although apparently he recently bought a muzzle. Final net points tally Paddy 3.5 Christian 2. Hopefully in a couple of weeks they will shape up one on one in a marking contest and the stats can be updated.

Crossy66
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 11:37pm Clincher stats: Christian's dogs bit him (animals know!); Paddy has not been attacked by a pet although has had some bird of pray, i.e. falcon type, issues; however his girlfriend (who is gorgeous) loves him; Similarly but in a different way Christian's mother loves him; Paddy is taller and heavier and as we know plays for a far better club. Neither have blonde hair. Paddy had his car stolen but Christian's smells of wet dog so would never be stolen. Paddy looks ok in a helmet, a fashion statement Christian is yet to embrace although apparently he recently bought a muzzle. Final net points tally Paddy 3.5 Christian 2. Hopefully in a couple of weeks they will shape up one on one in a marking contest and the stats can be updated.
I like your work!

chico2001
Club Player

I dont love Petracca and I could not give a rats arse about him, just think he is a better bet than McCartin at this stage and is showing all the right signs to be a good midfielder/forward. I dont think anyone has suggested he is a Superstar but he is getting a game in a strong midfield. I dont really believe in picking positions for the draft either- you pick the best player possible. With his concussions ...well that is the luck of the draw. I would think his diabetes would be holding him back as well but he is not fit...as in AFL fit. I have found it is 50:50 on this website regarding the success of McCartin. It is a wait and see situation but fair to say some of the saints most recent draft picks have gone straight past him this year.
Paddy was a number 1 pick not 25/30 so the pressure is on the club and its recruiting process.

Shaggy
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 12:09am I dont love Petracca and I could not give a rats arse about him, just think he is a better bet than McCartin at this stage and is showing all the right signs to be a good midfielder/forward. I dont think anyone has suggested he is a Superstar but he is getting a game in a strong midfield. I dont really believe in picking positions for the draft either- you pick the best player possible. With his concussions ...well that is the luck of the draw. I would think his diabetes would be holding him back as well but he is not fit...as in AFL fit. I have found it is 50:50 on this website regarding the success of McCartin. It is a wait and see situation but fair to say some of the saints most recent draft picks have gone straight past him this year.
Paddy was a number 1 pick not 25/30 so the pressure is on the club and its recruiting process.
You judge Paddy as a number 1 pick but not Petracca lol.

Both are ordinary to-date but I would go with the big to improve more.

Time will tell who is better but neither are going be Roo. That year appears a bad draft year.

Crossy66
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 12:09am I dont love Petracca and I could not give a rats arse about him, just think he is a better bet than McCartin at this stage and is showing all the right signs to be a good midfielder/forward. I dont think anyone has suggested he is a Superstar but he is getting a game in a strong midfield. I dont really believe in picking positions for the draft either- you pick the best player possible. With his concussions ...well that is the luck of the draw. I would think his diabetes would be holding him back as well but he is not fit...as in AFL fit. I have found it is 50:50 on this website regarding the success of McCartin. It is a wait and see situation but fair to say some of the saints most recent draft picks have gone straight past him this year.
To go back to your original post, you said the game against Melbourne "means everything" when assessing McCartin and Petracca and i said it didnt. Do you still think that?
I said Saints targeted the best key forward in the draft and asked you which other key forward you would have chosen in the draft instead. Have you got one?
You said you would have chosen the best player, Petracca, I am saying you would have been disappointed as i think Degoey and Brayshaw are ahead of him.
You say he is better than McCartin "AT THIS STAGE Because he shows THE RIGHT SIGNS" and he is "getting A GAME in a strong midfield". I say that just "getting an game" and "showing the right signs" in his fourth year means we aint missing much at the moment. But i do concede that he is ahead of PAddy at this point, but behind a few others in the same draft year. I just dont see the point in comparing the two and lamenting the great player we missed. I think both will be good players though.
I also dont think the club are under pressure because Paddy was a number one pick (plenty of other reasons we are under pressure though!)
Agree the diabetes could be an issue but choose to stay positive. You say that some of the recent draft picks have gone past him, other than Gresham, who else are you thinking?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is coming along fine. The more games he plays the better he gets.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 3:00pm Paddy is coming along fine. The more games he plays the better he gets.
Paddy is on a very slow burn.

Maybe by the age of 30, he will be in our best 22.
Until then, he gets picked only to justify his draft selection.

That free against the Suns, when he goaled, was the softest free ever, with ump on the blind side.
9 times out of 10, it's a throw-in.

Jake's non-free against GWS was 10 times more obvious.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 3:16pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 3:00pm Paddy is coming along fine. The more games he plays the better he gets.

That free against the Suns, when he goaled, was the softest free ever, with ump on the blind side.

To be fair, they missed about 8 earlier in the game to him though!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

NFI, have you?

Why don't you dress up in your lycra and go for a bike ride on your very expensive Government provided bike paths until you get a clue.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Tue 19 Jun 2018 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 3:51pm

Yep, and the one he got was clearly there to be given, despite what nuff nuffs think.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 4:16pm

NFI, have you?

Why don't you dress up in your lycra and go for a bike ride on your very expensive Government provided bike paths until you get a clue.

Oh yeah, thanks for paying for MY bike paths; you and the other haters pay tax, which pays for my bike paths.
WA Govt has pledged $123 mil over the next 4 years to upgrade and improve all bike paths in Perth
(PSP- Perth Shared Paths- ironic because I am happy to SHARE them with walkers, runners, folks on mobility scooters- like you, people walking dogs...and I look good in lycra, buddy)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
takeaway
Club Player

Agree. Just need to keep his head out of trouble. Interesting that two AFL teams (Hawks & Lions) have now trialled some possible new rules, the strongest emphasis being on reducing congestion, including in the forward line, allowing more one on ones.
The Age also has an article where AFL recruiters are doing some reassessing of the Draft, due to possible rule changes, and it was mentioned that more importance could well be placed now into recruiting big key forwards.
More leading space, more one on ones, can only help big forwards like Paddy. Lucky we have him!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 5:10pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 4:16pm

NFI, have you?

Oh yeah, thanks for paying for MY bike paths; you and the other haters pay tax, which pays for my bike paths.
WA Govt has pledged $123 mil over the next 4 years to upgrade and improve all bike paths in Perth
(PSP- Perth Shared Paths- ironic because I am happy to SHARE them with walkers, runners, folks on mobility scooters- like you, people walking dogs...and I look good in lycra, buddy)
I don't give a tinkers curse for any dollars the WA government spends on anything, mamil, 'cause I don't live in your backward state. :wink:

And unless your over-generous state government has built their diamond encrusted bike paths to your front door, you must ride on the roads.

Crossy66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 5:44pm
chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 5:05pm It means everything....people are judging them on this year , last year and the next game. McCartin has to kick goals and if Petracca plays a good game it will shut those up on the forum who reckon he is no great shakes. Melbourne must win and the same for the saints. So explain why judging either one on this game is pointless?

So when will he be a good player then? Just cant fathom that last sentence, been out once this year with a head knock and kicking under a goal a game. Let us know when he is averaging 2 goals a game and then it can be said he is getting better especially as you say the saints chose the best key forward.
What? So McCartin's value is how solely on how many goals he kicks? Even though he often plays CHF and leads up on the wing with Battle/Membrey at FF? Or hits the pack and gets the ball to the ground for Gresham, etc to pounce on? Or sends a 50m pass to Battle for a goal as he did last week? I think Paddy has been doing very well in a dysfunctional forward line. What if Melbourne wins by 100 pts, Petracca gets 30 possessions, mainly gifted to him, and the ball hardly gets to the Saints forward line? They don't play on each other.

The one game is merely a minor increment in hopefully long careers for both of them. Get some logic into you man.
So Mr Chico,
This was the game that would decide once and for all who the best player will be - McCartin / Petracca. What did you learn today?
You wanted to know when Paddy averages 2 goals a game - he kicked 2 today. Just so you know.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:41pm

What? So McCartin's value is how solely on how many goals he kicks? Even though he often plays CHF and leads up on the wing with Battle/Membrey at FF? Or hits the pack and gets the ball to the ground for Gresham, etc to pounce on? Or sends a 50m pass to Battle for a goal as he did last week? I think Paddy has been doing very well in a dysfunctional forward line. What if Melbourne wins by 100 pts, Petracca gets 30 possessions, mainly gifted to him, and the ball hardly gets to the Saints forward line? They don't play on each other.

The one game is merely a minor increment in hopefully long careers for both of them. Get some logic into you man.
So Mr Chico,
This was the game that would decide once and for all who the best player will be - McCartin / Petracca. What did you learn today?
You wanted to know when Paddy averages 2 goals a game - he kicked 2 today. Just so you know.
For what it’s worth, I thought Pat McCartin had an excellent game today, and is ever-so steadily growing in confidence, both in his body, and his all round game. I always LOVE to see players who are maligned, make good.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Crossy66
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:45pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:41pm

So Mr Chico,
For what it’s worth, I thought Pat McCartin had an excellent game today, and is ever-so steadily growing in confidence, both in his body, and his all round game. I always LOVE to see players who are maligned, make good.
+1

chico2001
Club Player

Crossy66, one thing you need to learn is to get your facts straight.

Paddy is not averaging 2 goals a game this year or any other year. Just so you know. There is also no logic for telling porkies or just not having having the knowledge to post accurately. Did I say "once and for all"? Bad form...

Dont create scenarios as you did....indicates a person who cannot respond properly to someones post or to put it another way bereft of game knowledge.

This game was pointless....yeah right....change your nic to "no knowledge" because it has kick started St Kilda and has probably ended Melbournes hopes of a top 4 finish.

What part of "winning is everything" dont you understand? Read the previous point or better still get in touch with any coach you know and ask a question about winning and its impact whether you are a team or an individual. I also mentioned not only the importance to Petracca and McCartin but also to both clubs or didnt you read that section?

McCartin kicked 2 and Petracca got 6 kicks so basically McCartin got the points in my view. Just so you know.

Let me know if Petracca gets a game this week can you?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

McCartin was ok. Just ok. Jesus some of you guys have to watch a bit more objectively.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 11:57pm McCartin was ok. Just ok. Jesus some of you guys have to watch a bit more objectively.
no, you need to watch with an open mind, he kicked 2-3 and had 11 score involvements. he smashed packs and worked his arse off. He needs to improve his set shots but he had an impact today.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 19 Jun 2018 3:51pm

Thought it was a clear free kick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 11:51pm Crossy66, one thing you need to learn is to get your facts straight.

Paddy is not averaging 2 goals a game this year or any other year. Just so you know. There is also no logic for telling porkies or just not having having the knowledge to post accurately. Did I say "once and for all"? Bad form...

Dont create scenarios as you did....indicates a person who cannot respond properly to someones post or to put it another way bereft of game knowledge.

This game was pointless....yeah right....change your nic to "no knowledge" because it has kick started St Kilda and has probably ended Melbournes hopes of a top 4 finish.

What part of "winning is everything" dont you understand? Read the previous point or better still get in touch with any coach you know and ask a question about winning and its impact whether you are a team or an individual. I also mentioned not only the importance to Petracca and McCartin but also to both clubs or didnt you read that section?

McCartin kicked 2 and Petracca got 6 kicks so basically McCartin got the points in my view. Just so you know.

Let me know if Petracca gets a game this week can you?
Mr Chico,
Firstly on the subject of knowledge and fact checking, in your first post on this topic you were keen to see how Paddy went on Lyndon Dunne - unfortunately you didnt realise he has been starring for Collingwood this year - not Melbourne.

You initially said that this game would once and for all determine who was the better pick, McCarting or Petracca. I simply said in the overall scheme of things that this game would determine nothing and that each would be assessed over a career - not one game.

So after this one game that you want to base your assessment on, do you think it means that Paddy is the undisputed better Pick?
After all, Paddy was named in the Saints Best and was clearly better than Petracca today.
FWIW, i'll wait to atleast 100 games, but at the moment I like how Paddy is developing.
Of Course if i misunderstood the point you were intitially trying to make then my apologies