Sharks are Circling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Sharks are Circling

Con Gorozidis wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 11:18pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:48pm
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:42pm Rodger...you have to face it.....Petracca is a good player and a fair bit better than McCartin. You are on a hiding to nothing with your logic on this issue. Pendlebury has flogged a lot better players than Petracca over the years and thats a fact. You were given a description of what football fierceness is and you chose to wipe it, the poster even named some players as an example.
Yes, Petracca is a far better midfielder than Paddy. Paddy is a much better key forward.
30 goals from 32 games as a 'key forward' makes you a fairly s*** key forward.
Yeh, s*** forward like Tom Hawkins, who had 43 goals from 32 games in a better side, playing in 3 out of 3 grand finals. I can't judge a player after about 2 games like you Con, give Paddy time and some decent delivery.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 11:36pm
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:42pm Rodger...you have to face it.....Petracca is a good player and a fair bit better than McCartin. You are on a hiding to nothing with your logic on this issue. Pendlebury has flogged a lot better players than Petracca over the years and thats a fact. You were given a description of what football fierceness is and you chose to wipe it, the poster even named some players as an example.
Yes, Petracca is a far better midfielder than Paddy. Paddy is a much better key forward.
Yeh, s*** forward like Tom Hawkins, who had 43 goals from 32 games in a better side, playing in 3 out of 3 grand finals. I can't judge a player after about 2 games like you Con, give Paddy time and some decent delivery.
Dude.
Hawkins had 59 goals from 43 games in his first 3 seasons and at age 21.

When he was 22 (same age as Paddy) he had 80 goals!

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Add to that - the game has changed a hell of a lot in the last decade for key fwds. Much harder for a 'stay home' type like Hawkins and Paddy to start their career. Much more crowded fwd line.

Not to even mention the concussion......

If you are still holding on the the 'Paddy is the next Hawkins' fantasy.
I have news for you....

asiu
Saintsational Legend

no need jax

i'm happy as long as there's no shifty sh1t
(and that was my concern )

seeing as Shostack has stepped back ,
he who 'controls the coin' of McDonalds in a bottle ,
can have no influence , regardless

my apologies to Shostack for the snowflake slur

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ps

i woulda been Shostacks biggest fan ,
if he had marched in with the $ , the contacts , the bravado , the honour and the smarts to stand this Club on its own feet again and leverage the passion of those who support her

and obviously , i would not have been on my pat malone

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Saintly66
Club Player

If members from a former board come back and assume control of the club I’ll spew.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

?

So this is what I've posted in this thread...

"Honestly, all I see is a man-child with really good potential, who is playing Ok in a very, very deep midfield where he gets zero attention from the opposition because he's about 5th in line. I don't see any 'fierce competitor' traits to be honest. Certainly no more than a guy like McCartin who has had 7 concussions, has diabetes and still goes head first into contests every week."

"I don't have an issue with people thinking we should have drafted Petracca ahead of McCartin, but your reason why is one of the least compelling I've stumbled across."

"My question was what do you see in Petracca that tells you he's a fierce competitor. I don't see anything in him in that regard that separates him from many other young players (including McCartin)."

"I think even mentioning those guys in the same sentence as Petracca in regards to his attack on the ball is legitimately laughable."

"The dude got beaten up in the contest repeatedly by Scott Pendlebury on the weekend FFS. "

"The jury is still out for mine personally, and I don't totally reject the notion that we should have picked Petracca. He has plenty of potential - but he's miles from a world beater at this stage. "

"I suggested that McCartin's competitiveness should probably not be dismissed, because he's digging very deep to even be playing AFL footy"

"I never said I don't see his ability to win a contest, his pace or courage."

So again, are you sure you were directing this post to me? I can't see the relevance or context.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:42pmPetracca is a good player and a fair bit better than McCartin.
And? I never said anything otherwise. He's not a world beater, but certainly not a dud. He's good, but nowhere near great. I've never said anything otherwise.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:42pmYou are on a hiding to nothing with your logic on this issue. Pendlebury has flogged a lot better players than Petracca over the years and thats a fact.
I never said anything about Petracca being flogged by Pendlebury. I specifically said he was beaten up in the contest by Pendlebury.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:42pmYou were given a description of what football fierceness is and you chose to wipe it, the poster even named some players as an example.
I know what fierceness is. I clearly said I know what fierceness looks like. I acknowledged the players mentioned, I didn't wipe it. I very clearly disagreed that Petracca displayed anywhere near the level of 'fierceness' that the players mentioned did. It's laughable. His career average for tackles per game is the same as Jack Billings!

So I'm unsure why you posted this? It doesn't make sense.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

s***.

Here we go again.

:roll:

:evil: :twisted:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

There is some more detail on the Petracca psyche tests. Apparently it wasn't 'cocky' that worried them, the fact that a number of tests showed he lacked resilience was the worry. He also interviewed terribly and straight after the psych tests showed he lacked resilience, he quit the time trial at the draft camp. Good call not to take him.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Right now Petracca is a better footballer than Paddy, and looks like he’ll end up being a better one than him in the future.

I would have much rathered us take Petracca, especially looking at our team now with other big forwards like Bruce, Membrey and Battle.

If Paddy turns out to be as good as Hawkins I’ll be disappointed. Hawkins is a B grade forward playing his whole career in one of the best teams in recent memory. I want a Kennedy/Cameron/Roughy with my number one key forward pick.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 12:56pm There is some more detail on the Petracca psyche tests. Apparently it wasn't 'cocky' that worried them, the fact that a number of tests showed he lacked resilience was the worry. He also interviewed terribly and straight after the psych tests showed he lacked resilience, he quit the time trial at the draft camp. Good call not to take him.
Fair enough - but sometimes very talented kids need a bit of direction and discipline and they can be taught the right way to do things.

The Tractior was an 18 year old kid then.

Imagine how much of loose cannon he would’ve been with our wonderful structures in place?

He’d prob be in all sorts and not playing like he is for the Dees.

So yes - you’re right- we did the right thing taking Paddy given all the above sadly...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
takeaway
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 11:48pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 11:36pm
Dude.
Hawkins had 59 goals from 43 games in his first 3 seasons and at age 21.

When he was 22 (same age as Paddy) he had 80 goals!

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Add to that - the game has changed a hell of a lot in the last decade for key fwds. Much harder for a 'stay home' type like Hawkins and Paddy to start their career. Much more crowded fwd line.

Not to even mention the concussion......

If you are still holding on the the 'Paddy is the next Hawkins' fantasy.
I have news for you....
Start a debate and Con goes on holiday again! Ah well. FWIW I was not saying Paddy is the next Hawkins, merely comparing their first 32 games. Hawkins is no superstar, but did take a while to get going.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 1:39pm Start a debate and Con goes on holiday again! Ah well. FWIW I was not saying Paddy is the next Hawkins, merely comparing their first 32 games. Hawkins is no superstar, but did take a while to get going.
Not to mention a slight difference between Geelong's GF era midfield and ours...Lonie could have kicked 100 goals!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The sharks might leave our troubled waters and start circling around the Carlton area after today.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 3:47pm The sharks might leave our troubled waters and start circling around the Carlton area after today.
Welcome back to Moorabbin, SOS

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
chico2001
Club Player

Melbourne play the saints next ...so we can get a fairly good idea how McCartin will go on Dunne...a smaller full back and how Petracca will go on Armitage or someone of that ilk.

Crossy66
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 1:20am Melbourne play the saints next ...so we can get a fairly good idea how McCartin will go on Dunne...a smaller full back and how Petracca will go on Armitage or someone of that ilk.
In the scheme of things it wont mean anything. Judging either on one game is pointless. As said earlier in the thread - saints wanted the best key forward so chose McCartin. If they wanted the best midfielder, should have chosen Brayshaw or even Degoey as both seem to have Petracca covered at the moment. Petracca looks like he will be a good player but he is no world beater yet. He also didnt want to come to StKilda.
The other choices for the Saints when selecting a tall would have been MArchbank (at second club and struggling) or two metre Peter,( currently cant get a game at Gold Coast!). On that basis we chose well.
McCartin will be a good player if he keeps his head out of harms way.

chico2001
Club Player

It means everything....people are judging them on this year , last year and the next game. McCartin has to kick goals and if Petracca plays a good game it will shut those up on the forum who reckon he is no great shakes. Melbourne must win and the same for the saints. So explain why judging either one on this game is pointless?

So when will he be a good player then? Just cant fathom that last sentence, been out once this year with a head knock and kicking under a goal a game. Let us know when he is averaging 2 goals a game and then it can be said he is getting better especially as you say the saints chose the best key forward.

takeaway
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 5:05pm It means everything....people are judging them on this year , last year and the next game. McCartin has to kick goals and if Petracca plays a good game it will shut those up on the forum who reckon he is no great shakes. Melbourne must win and the same for the saints. So explain why judging either one on this game is pointless?

So when will he be a good player then? Just cant fathom that last sentence, been out once this year with a head knock and kicking under a goal a game. Let us know when he is averaging 2 goals a game and then it can be said he is getting better especially as you say the saints chose the best key forward.
What? So McCartin's value is how solely on how many goals he kicks? Even though he often plays CHF and leads up on the wing with Battle/Membrey at FF? Or hits the pack and gets the ball to the ground for Gresham, etc to pounce on? Or sends a 50m pass to Battle for a goal as he did last week? I think Paddy has been doing very well in a dysfunctional forward line. What if Melbourne wins by 100 pts, Petracca gets 30 possessions, mainly gifted to him, and the ball hardly gets to the Saints forward line? They don't play on each other.

The one game is merely a minor increment in hopefully long careers for both of them. Get some logic into you man.

chico2001
Club Player

Logic, come off it, you are starting to make excuses already. We are talking right here right now...not 5 years. Thats why the sharks are circling.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 1:20am Melbourne play the saints next ...so we can get a fairly good idea how McCartin will go on Dunne...a smaller full back and how Petracca will go on Armitage or someone of that ilk.
Get a good idea of what?

chico2001
Club Player

If you have to ask, then it is no point explaining it to you because you would just not understand.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I've got a feeling that Dunne (Lynden) now plays for Collingwood, so Paddy is going to struggle to kick goals on him in a match against Melbourne.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 18 Jun 2018 9:13pm
I've got a feeling that Dunne (Lynden) now plays for Collingwood, so Paddy is going to struggle to kick goals on him in a match against Melbourne.
Melbourne are nuts matching up Paddy with someone who hasn't played for their club for 2 years, especially when they've got a perfectly serviceable FB in Ossie McDonald. Idiots!

chico2001
Club Player

haha....well done and beautifully picked up. Took 2hrs from my first post though

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dude, it literally took 5 minutes.