Saints fastest and best runners

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints fastest and best runners

No real suprises there I guess in total km's. Bloody hell, Phillip's is such a good runner so its no wonder he gets plenty of footy like his brother. Great late selection by the club.

Webster and Steele the speed kings also!!

I love these stats.

Team distance: 2540.3km

Distance kings
1. Jarryn Geary 14.9km
2. Jack Lonie 14.7
3. Ed Phillips 14.5

Geary and Phillips are always top-two in the club's pre-season time trials, although the captain still holds the edge over the second-year wingman in those races.

Speedsters
1. Jimmy Webster 33.7km/h
2. Tim Membrey 33.1
3. Jack Steele 33.1

Webster has been excellent and shows his pace coming out of defence. At the other end of the ground, Membrey has struggled with goalkicking but is otherwise playing well. His speed helps him create separation from backmen. - Dinny Navaratnam

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints fastest and best runners

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 2:34pm No real suprises there I guess in total km's. Bloody hell, Phillip's is such a good runner so its no wonder he gets plenty of footy like his brother. Great late selection by the club.

I love these stats.

Distance kings
1. Jarryn Geary 14.9km
2. Jack Lonie 14.7
3. Ed Phillips 14.5

Geary and Phillips are always top-two in the club's pre-season time trials, although the captain still holds the edge over the second-year wingman in those races.

Speedsters
2. Tim Membrey 33.1
3. Jack Steele 33.1

Webster has been excellent and shows his pace coming out of defence. At the other end of the ground, Membrey has struggled with goalkicking but is otherwise playing well. His speed helps him create separation from backmen. - Dinny Navaratnam
Top speed means very little in football where explosive speed is king.
I think above is a totally useless stat.

Webster would be top 3 in B&F this year with Carslile and Dunstan and going well but is not football quick, either is Membrey or Steele.

The Saints with some explosive speed are Steven, Long, Phillips & perhaps Clark.
Acres has some explosive power from a stoppage.

If Steele is our fastest mid we are in diabolical trouble as he is one paced and not at all explosive.

Real speed is Dangerfield, the Hill brothers, Gary Rohan, JJ, Jayden Hunt, Lemmens, Saad etc.
Mc Donald Tipungwuti has short explosive speed.

I spend a lot of time in Sydney & Brisbane so I go to a few GWS & GCS home games, Tom Scully is IMO the best runner in the AFL by a country mile, he is a speed endurance freak and probably only matched in gut running by Robert Harvey who was a also freak in his era.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saint-stu
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 2:34pm No real suprises there I guess in total km's. Bloody hell, Phillip's is such a good runner so its no wonder he gets plenty of footy like his brother. Great late selection by the club.

I love these stats.

Distance kings
1. Jarryn Geary 14.9km
2. Jack Lonie 14.7
3. Ed Phillips 14.5

Speedsters
2. Tim Membrey 33.1
3. Jack Steele 33.1

Webster would be top 3 in B&F this year with Carslile and Dunstan and going well but is not football quick, either is Membrey or Steele.

The Saints with some explosive speed are Steven, Long, Phillips & perhaps Clark.

If Steele is our fastest mid we are in diabolical trouble as he is one paced and not at all explosive.

Real speed is Dangerfield, the Hill brothers, Gary Rohan, JJ, Jayden Hunt, Lemmens, Saad etc.

I spend a lot of time in Sydney & Brisbane so I go to a few GWS & GCS home games, Tom Scully is IMO the best runner in the AFL by a country mile, he is a speed endurance freak and probably only matched in gut running by Robert Harvey who was a also freak in his era.
Is Steele a mistake? Do they not mean Jack Steven?!

1ac46a38
SuperDuper
Club Player

saint-stu wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 7:02pm
Joffa Burns wrote:

I love these stats.

Distance kings
1. Jarryn Geary 14.9km
2. Jack Lonie 14.7
3. Ed Phillips 14.5

Speedsters
2. Tim Membrey 33.1
3. Jack Steele 33.1

Is Steele a mistake? Do they not mean Jack Steven?!

Webster has fantastic closing speed and it helps his defending... also runs out of defense a lot... So I dont agree with the assessment on him

Steele really does not show/use his speed enough..

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Steele doesnt appear fast with the ball but have to think part of the reason for his high tackle count is speed related