Lewis Pierce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Lewis Pierce

17 and 18, sorry carnt hide them, they have already had exposure!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:42am 17 and 18, sorry carnt hide them, they have already had exposure!!!!!
Height?
Vertical leap?

Has my old mate Johnny Beverage cast an eye over them?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
stonecold
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:52am
stonecold wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:42am 17 and 18, sorry carnt hide them, they have already had exposure!!!!!
Height?
Vertical leap?

Has my old mate Johnny Beverage cast an eye over them?

Oldest boy will go footy:

6 foot 6

Standing Vertical Leap around the 80 mark, St.Kilda no, Hawthorn had shown some interest!!!!!

Youngest boy leaning towards cricket!!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:56pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:16pm
dragit wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:40pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:32pm what ruck experience do you have?????
Mate, you need to give this ^ schtick away… this is a fan forum, not a big noting, self anointed, former players chat group.

No-one cares bud.
Not pumping up anyone's tyres, just pointing out that the poster clearly has no understanding of ruckwork after being challenged by him/her, I'm allowed to defend myself based on my experience!!!!!

Anyway, good to see Longer back in the best, again!!!!!

By the way Dud, St.Kilda's best year since Lyon was 2017 not 2016!!!!!

And Longer was 1st Ruck last year!!!!!
Any chance you could mentor Hickey, Stonecold. His background is volleyball- no physical presence required there. Perhaps he needs someone to show him the ropes.

He also played a lot of Union. Plenty of physical contact there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:29am
BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:16am
loris wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 11:44pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:10pm

If the club can wait 5 more years - my son is showing good signs as a ruckman / forward and is already Jack Lonie’s height at 13. Smarter footballer than me and plays his ruck role against taller opponents in Division 1 SMJFL like an extra inside mid with excellent hands.

Does the AFL have a forum fan / son rule? If so ... problem solved!
You’ve won me there BfromUSA........ I’ll keep my membership going for another 5 years to see BfromUSA Jnr in the Red, White & Black! :P
If the club had listened to you McGovern would already be in red white and black if my memory serves me correctly!
Yes that always sticks in my Craw BfromUSA.

I recently had Mc Govern’s then boss back at my home to do some more electrical work and we relived the time I had that young electrical apprentice Mc Governclambering around my roof top. I told S/S at that time what a nimble lad he was on my roof for such a gangly young man. I think that was 2010 and the Saints had chatted to him, the only Vic club to do so and he was hoping they might follow up & select him in the draft as we were a top team then. A real missed opportunity.

I can also recall Big Mart telling me he was too small to be a ruckman or key position player in the AFL........ sometimes I get it right. :lol:
Okay, that was the boy. I can remember you telling me about him at the time.

Any comment tony 74. I know you guys looked at a couple of Western Australians.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 7:09pm
one point wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:56pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:16pm
dragit wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:40pm
stonecold wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 5:32pm what ruck experience do you have?????
Mate, you need to give this ^ schtick away… this is a fan forum, not a big noting, self anointed, former players chat group.

No-one cares bud.
Not pumping up anyone's tyres, just pointing out that the poster clearly has no understanding of ruckwork after being challenged by him/her, I'm allowed to defend myself based on my experience!!!!!

Anyway, good to see Longer back in the best, again!!!!!

By the way Dud, St.Kilda's best year since Lyon was 2017 not 2016!!!!!

And Longer was 1st Ruck last year!!!!!
Any chance you could mentor Hickey, Stonecold. His background is volleyball- no physical presence required there. Perhaps he needs someone to show him the ropes.

He also played a lot of Union. Plenty of physical contact there.
Yes and admitted he was s*** at it!!!!!

barneyboyz
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:37pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 4:43pm
Firstly, Longer came into the season underdone so shouldnt have played round one. I think you have to look at his 2017 form, particularly the back half of the year in which most conceded he went well.
I dont think we have a poor midfield as such. If you only look at stats, then our mids have matched most others for clearances and possessions.
I think the main knock on our mids is that they are one paced (except for Steven), overuse the ball by hand and in general, don't use the ball well.
Hickey in no way made it hard for Grundy, He had an absolute night out. Even the stats tell us that, but again Grundy is one of the better rucks getting around.
So heres the conundrum with Hickey (imho): He doesnt do well at ruck contests against most recognised ruckman (dont count Dawson Simpson, Stanley Etc)
But he also doesnt do well against the mobile rucks around the ground i.e. Grundy, Martin etc. either.

Agree that all the big fellas you mentioned cant be on the field at the same time. I said that i think Hickey can play FF but thats assuming Paddy needs a few weeks. I think if Longer drifts back and blocks space, perhaps we can replace brown with a more mobile option i.e. the Roberton type. And Membury to me is a mobile third forward so not a big lumbering type.
Either way it would be good to see Richo try something different.
Well if we’re going back to when players are playing well we should go back to Hickey’s 2016. Don’t forget he missed basically a whole year of AFL footy last year which I’m sure dented his development after a promising year before. And Longer is hardly knocking the door down in the 2s.

Our midfield might not be poor, but it’s not as good as Collingwoods. So with an inferior midfield, a non-competitive ruckman, and a opp ruckman having s night out, how did the clearance stats end up so close? I still stand by the fact I think Hickey is competitive and I believe the stats back that up. If he wasn’t the clearance stats should be a blow out.

I’m not trying to claim Hickey is close to AA or anything, but he’s the best option IMO at the moment. I was all aboard the Marshall train but it appears he needs a rest in the 2s. Bring Pierce in for him and let’s see how he goes, it’s not like we’re playing for much anymore this season.
I agree, Hickey is the type that just needs a run of games. He's clearly out of form, but similarly to the rest of them, if they start kicking goals then form could change quickly.

Pierce for Marshall could work.

Our clearance work as mentioned hasn't been bad, and even to entries into the 50, just that it comes out pretty quickly afterwards, so (some of) those that get the clearances i.e. Ross and Steven need to find a way to better deliver the ball. This could be by better protection of the carrier (allowing more time) and/or dropping their eyes (especially Ross)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 6:04pm Bottom line is the clearance numbers.
The Bulldogs - an average team whose ruck is even less of a "non-entity" than Hickey - are nevertheless averaging the same number of clearances as WCE this year, with about 30 less hitouts/game .

All Pierce has to be is competitive in ruck contests - as long as he's not a "non-entity" around the ground. He has to get his 15 possessions plus and not be a passenger around the ground.

What a load this post is - really comparing to WCE with NicNat. This is essentially saying NicNat has no impact on the clearances or the game due to his ruckwork and the Bulldogs wouldn't be better off.

Stupidity at its best. Actually watch a West Coast game and tell me NicNat isn't nearly the most influential player in the game, almost the league.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 11:50am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:37pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 4:43pm
Firstly, Longer came into the season underdone so shouldnt have played round one. I think you have to look at his 2017 form, particularly the back half of the year in which most conceded he went well.
I dont think we have a poor midfield as such. If you only look at stats, then our mids have matched most others for clearances and possessions.
I think the main knock on our mids is that they are one paced (except for Steven), overuse the ball by hand and in general, don't use the ball well.
Hickey in no way made it hard for Grundy, He had an absolute night out. Even the stats tell us that, but again Grundy is one of the better rucks getting around.
So heres the conundrum with Hickey (imho): He doesnt do well at ruck contests against most recognised ruckman (dont count Dawson Simpson, Stanley Etc)
But he also doesnt do well against the mobile rucks around the ground i.e. Grundy, Martin etc. either.

Agree that all the big fellas you mentioned cant be on the field at the same time. I said that i think Hickey can play FF but thats assuming Paddy needs a few weeks. I think if Longer drifts back and blocks space, perhaps we can replace brown with a more mobile option i.e. the Roberton type. And Membury to me is a mobile third forward so not a big lumbering type.
Either way it would be good to see Richo try something different.
Well if we’re going back to when players are playing well we should go back to Hickey’s 2016. Don’t forget he missed basically a whole year of AFL footy last year which I’m sure dented his development after a promising year before. And Longer is hardly knocking the door down in the 2s.

Our midfield might not be poor, but it’s not as good as Collingwoods. So with an inferior midfield, a non-competitive ruckman, and a opp ruckman having s night out, how did the clearance stats end up so close? I still stand by the fact I think Hickey is competitive and I believe the stats back that up. If he wasn’t the clearance stats should be a blow out.

I’m not trying to claim Hickey is close to AA or anything, but he’s the best option IMO at the moment. I was all aboard the Marshall train but it appears he needs a rest in the 2s. Bring Pierce in for him and let’s see how he goes, it’s not like we’re playing for much anymore this season.
I agree, Hickey is the type that just needs a run of games. He's clearly out of form, but similarly to the rest of them, if they start kicking goals then form could change quickly.

Pierce for Marshall could work.

Our clearance work as mentioned hasn't been bad, and even to entries into the 50, just that it comes out pretty quickly afterwards, so (some of) those that get the clearances i.e. Ross and Steven need to find a way to better deliver the ball. This could be by better protection of the carrier (allowing more time) and/or dropping their eyes (especially Ross)
Pierce for Marshall COULD be a good move, one from left field? I still remember Tom & Lewis absolutely SMASHING it against Carlturd in 2016 Pierce even grabbed an opportunist goal! Naturally, Richo being Richo, The lineup was changed for the next game!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts on our ruck future is Lewie with Marshall playing forward and changing in the ruck by the end of the year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 12:01pm
The Bulldogs - an average team whose ruck is even less of a "non-entity" than Hickey - are nevertheless averaging the same number of clearances as WCE this year, with about 30 less hitouts/game .

All Pierce has to be is competitive in ruck contests - as long as he's not a "non-entity" around the ground. He has to get his 15 possessions plus and not be a passenger around the ground.

What a load this post is - really comparing to WCE with NicNat. This is essentially saying NicNat has no impact on the clearances or the game due to his ruckwork and the Bulldogs wouldn't be better off.

Stupidity at its best. Actually watch a West Coast game and tell me NicNat isn't nearly the most influential player in the game, almost the league.
What a pompous post. You can interpret things anyway you choose to without getting personal.

Whether you disagree with the comments and whether you think there is a strong point to be argued, doesn't give you the right to be a pompous, pretentious know it all. Yes, certain players will make a difference in any team. He was merely providing statistics comparing hitouts to clearances. It's a little similar to when Clarko was winning premierships and losing the contested ball.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 2:44pm

What a pompous post. You can interpret things anyway you choose to without getting personal.

Whether you disagree with the comments and whether you think there is a strong point to be argued, doesn't give you the right to be a pompous, pretentious know it all. Yes, certain players will make a difference in any team. He was merely providing statistics comparing hitouts to clearances. It's a little similar to when Clarko was winning premierships and losing the contested ball.
Where did the poster get personal?????

derby Street
Club Player

Can anyone tell me if Lewis is as quick as Marshall?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:26pm Can anyone tell me if Lewis is as quick as Marshall?
Don't think so but Lewis is a ruckman while Marshall is basically a tall key position player.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:12am
Any time you want to give him ruck coaching he is an eager student. He is in V Squad with Scott Lucas and Paul Hudson gives good feedback from his work on his drills. Over the school holidays Shane Crawford is going to fix up his field kicking because he won’t listen to his old man.
What is V-squad like?

I have received 37,000 emails from a guy called Luke O'Çonnell inviting my son who doesn't play AFL to join V-squad. I'd assumed it was some sort of gimmick program some ex players put together because of the constant emails and contact. Is it worthwhile program, is it developing your sons skills?

My son played Team Vic footy a couple of years back through his school, but doesn't play for a club.
I think that's where they got his name and my email address.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 6:59pm
Any time you want to give him ruck coaching he is an eager student. He is in V Squad with Scott Lucas and Paul Hudson gives good feedback from his work on his drills. Over the school holidays Shane Crawford is going to fix up his field kicking because he won’t listen to his old man.
What is V-squad like?

I have received 37,000 emails from a guy called Luke O'Çonnell inviting my son who doesn't play AFL to join V-squad. I'd assumed it was some sort of gimmick program some ex players put together because of the constant emails and contact. Is it worthwhile program, is it developing your sons skills?

My son played Team Vic footy a couple of years back through his school, but doesn't play for a club.
V-Squad follow the school footy among other things, they then invite the half decent players along to participate, not a bad program, however they do charge or used to!!!!!

Gives the talented kids some opportunity, but really doesn't help that much, it is run by and does give exposure to former AFL players!!!!!

Not running it down, however the top end talent don't really need it, if you know what I mean!!!!!

derby Street
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:36pm
derby Street wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:26pm Can anyone tell me if Lewis is as quick as Marshall?
Don't think so but Lewis is a ruckman while Marshall is basically a tall key position player.
Geez he must be slow then. What else can he offer - suppose he must be worth a look?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 7:10pm
What is V-squad like?

V-Squad follow the school footy among other things, they then invite the half decent players along to participate, not a bad program, however they do charge or used to!!!!!

Gives the talented kids some opportunity, but really doesn't help that much, it is run by and does give exposure to former AFL players!!!!!

Not running it down, however the top end talent don't really need it, if you know what I mean!!!!!
Assumed it was a paid service, why else would they pursue a kid who doesn't play the sport.

I reckon they get names then try and sell them an exclusive squad that will give the kid an edge.

Good luck to them, as long as the kids enjoy it.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Take it up with the stats. They speak loud and clear.
Nic Nat and WCE's extra 30 hitouts/game don't produce any more clearances for his team - the Bulldog midfielders despite their "non-entity" ruckman/ruckmen (who win considerably less than half the hitouts that NicNat and co do) nevertheless clear the ball as many times as WCE midfielders do with their "super duper" ruckman/ruckmen.
Nicnat's midfielders are not reaping the reward of his hitout dominance. He might be influential and great in other ways, but it's clearly not because of his hitouts.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

What is V-squad like?

More about thinking footy rather than normal footy skills. Teaches kids about teamwork, creating and using space, out number scenarios, leading patterns and things like that.

If a kid is already good then he would get better in thinking the game.

Around 6-8 kids drafted each year come from having done V Squad originally.

Prepares the kids for the under 15 squads.

Only makes sense if your kid wants to play footy beyond school or beyond ammos or suburban footy.

Not 100% sure mine is that ambitious as he is talking about studying overseas!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 10:11pm
What is V-squad like?

More about thinking footy rather than normal footy skills. Teaches kids about teamwork, creating and using space, out number scenarios, leading patterns and things like that.

If a kid is already good then he would get better in thinking the game.

Around 6-8 kids drafted each year come from having done V Squad originally.

Prepares the kids for the under 15 squads.

Only makes sense if your kid wants to play footy beyond school or beyond ammos or suburban footy.

Not 100% sure mine is that ambitious as he is talking about studying overseas!
Cheers guys, and good luck to your kids with their footy.

Mine chose to pursue a different sport which takes him away from home next year at age 14.

Oh to be young again!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Tom.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/s ... the-bounce

SUB-PAR kicking skills at St Kilda, both at goal and in play, have been heavily scrutinised but coaches around the competition have pinpointed another area the Saints have struggled in.

St Kilda has been thumped in the ruck.

A look at the coaches' votes shows the Saints have conceded more votes to opposing ruckmen through nine rounds than any other side, with 28.

Geelong (25) and Greater Western Sydney (22) round out the top-three, two clubs which have had noted troubles in the ruck.

Only votes by primary ruckmen were counted, rather than also considering back-up big men.

On three occasions, the opposing ruckman hasn't polled against the Saints. Two of those matches were against Geelong and GWS while the Magpies' Brodie Grundy did not manage any either last Saturday night.

Tom Hickey has been the club's primary choice since round four and has conceded 15 votes in that time, while scoring the club's only coaches votes by a ruckman this year when he had two in the draw to GWS, going up against Dawson Simpson.

Hickey has been hurt by the third-man up no longer being allowed at stoppages, which the Saints used to great effect in Hickey's career-best year of 2016.

Furthermore, he spent much of the pre-season recovering from a right shoulder reconstruction.

St Kilda experimented with its ruck situation in the first month of the season. Billy Longer lined up in the opening two games of the year after establishing himself in 2017 as the club's preferred option.

However, an interrupted pre-season seems to have affected his form and since being dropped, the 25-year-old has been underwhelming with VFL affiliate Sandringham.

Rookie Rowan Marshall was the primary ruckman in round three against Adelaide but his inexperience, having now lined up in six career matches, and a quiet run since returning from concussion, make it hard for the Saints to use him in that role.

A solution could lie with Lewis Pierce. The 23-year-old has played for Frankston this season instead of Sandringham in a deal created to allow him more opportunities to play in his preferred position, instead of in defence as he often had to do at the Zebras in 2017.

In a Dolphins team that sits fourth-last, Pierce has averaged 42 hit-outs through seven games.

St Kilda face Richmond on Saturday afternoon at the MCG, with Tiger Toby Nankervis having been rated among the competition's elite ruckmen by coach Damien Hardwick.

AFLCA votes conceded to ruckmen
1 St Kilda 28
2 Geelong 25
3 GWS 22
4 Essendon 18
5 North Melbourne 16
6 Adelaide 15
7 Port Adeleaide 12
8 Carlton 11
9 Sydney 10
10 Gold Coast 9
11 Western Bulldogs 7
12 Collingwood 5
=13 Hawthorn 4
=13 Richmond 4
=15 Fremantle 0
=15 Brisbane 0
=15 Melbourne 0
=15 West Coast 0

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 6:34pm Sorry Tom.

SUB-PAR kicking skills at St Kilda, both at goal and in play, have been heavily scrutinised but coaches around the competition have pinpointed another area the Saints have struggled in.

A look at the coaches' votes shows the Saints have conceded more votes to opposing ruckmen through nine rounds than any other side, with 28.

Geelong (25) and Greater Western Sydney (22) round out the top-three, two clubs which have had noted troubles in the ruck.

Only votes by primary ruckmen were counted, rather than also considering back-up big men.

On three occasions, the opposing ruckman hasn't polled against the Saints. Two of those matches were against Geelong and GWS while the Magpies' Brodie Grundy did not manage any either last Saturday night.

Tom Hickey has been the club's primary choice since round four and has conceded 15 votes in that time, while scoring the club's only coaches votes by a ruckman this year when he had two in the draw to GWS, going up against Dawson Simpson.

Hickey has been hurt by the third-man up no longer being allowed at stoppages, which the Saints used to great effect in Hickey's career-best year of 2016.

Furthermore, he spent much of the pre-season recovering from a right shoulder reconstruction.

St Kilda experimented with its ruck situation in the first month of the season. Billy Longer lined up in the opening two games of the year after establishing himself in 2017 as the club's preferred option.

However, an interrupted pre-season seems to have affected his form and since being dropped, the 25-year-old has been underwhelming with VFL affiliate Sandringham.

Rookie Rowan Marshall was the primary ruckman in round three against Adelaide but his inexperience, having now lined up in six career matches, and a quiet run since returning from concussion, make it hard for the Saints to use him in that role.

A solution could lie with Lewis Pierce. The 23-year-old has played for Frankston this season instead of Sandringham in a deal created to allow him more opportunities to play in his preferred position, instead of in defence as he often had to do at the Zebras in 2017.

In a Dolphins team that sits fourth-last, Pierce has averaged 42 hit-outs through seven games.

St Kilda face Richmond on Saturday afternoon at the MCG, with Tiger Toby Nankervis having been rated among the competition's elite ruckmen by coach Damien Hardwick.

1 St Kilda 28
2 Geelong 25
3 GWS 22
4 Essendon 18
5 North Melbourne 16
6 Adelaide 15
7 Port Adeleaide 12
8 Carlton 11
9 Sydney 10
10 Gold Coast 9
11 Western Bulldogs 7
12 Collingwood 5
=13 Hawthorn 4
=13 Richmond 4
=15 Fremantle 0
=15 Brisbane 0
=15 Melbourne 0
=15 West Coast 0
Cause StoneCold said so!!!!!

Catch up people!!!!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 5:36pm
It's irrelevant anyway, neither of them are AFL quality, much to our collective disappointment. :roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 11:28pm
saynta wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 6:34pm Sorry Tom.

1 St Kilda 28
2 Geelong 25
3 GWS 22
4 Essendon 18
5 North Melbourne 16
6 Adelaide 15
7 Port Adeleaide 12
8 Carlton 11
9 Sydney 10
10 Gold Coast 9
11 Western Bulldogs 7
12 Collingwood 5
=13 Hawthorn 4
=13 Richmond 4
=15 Fremantle 0
=15 Brisbane 0
=15 Melbourne 0
=15 West Coast 0
Cause StoneCold said so!!!!!

Catch up people!!!!!
So basically they’re saying Longer isn’t even good enough to break into the worst rucking team in the comp :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.