Richo has lost the players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo has lost the players

lewdogs wrote:
To be fair, the umpire told Hickey to give the ball to Gresham. Not Gresham's fault at all.

He definitely burned Billings on one of the misses but realistically it was a running shot from 30m out that he just shouldn't have missed. I would have liked to see him give it though because Jack was calling for it, reckon he would have drilled it and maybe done his confidence the world of good.
Ok that's fair enough, but to be 'fair' why didn't he just tell the ump it was Hickey who actually restricted the player. Gresh knew it should have been Hickey's kick. How many times have we seen players miss gettable set shots when they have a guilty conscious?

Hogan missed a shot because he knew he didn't deserve the free against Carlisle. In any case, Gresh is a good player and he is one of our best, so I understand why he is chosen in best 22 each week, but it should be all about the integrity of team. Fairness for all and equal treatment to play as a team and get dropped if you don't abide to team mantra

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
tony74 wrote:Absolutely not. They’re all in it together. And they all know what they have to do. It’s bleeding obvious. But for some unknown reason we’ve not been able to do it. But it ain’t lack of effort or desire.
Well, hope it all comes together soon or we will have to start playing the kids and having a good look at the top two or three draft picks. :x
100% agreed.

But I’m not stupid enough to not realise how poor our club looks to supporters and media and how poorly our team is playing. It really is crunch time ( but unfortunately that puts more and more pressure on the players and coaches and they really don’t need that at the moment- they’re unbelievably aware of the situation). May the footy Gods be on our side.
The pressure ain't going away in a hurry T74. They need to get it out of their mind. They looked phobic kicking for goal and psychologically shot on Sunday. Richo may need to seriously consider implementing the Ross Lyon 'Bubble'. Ignore the Media and outside world and just focus on the simple 1%ers.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:
tony74 wrote:Absolutely not. They’re all in it together. And they all know what they have to do. It’s bleeding obvious. But for some unknown reason we’ve not been able to do it. But it ain’t lack of effort or desire.
Well, hope it all comes together soon or we will have to start playing the kids and having a good look at the top two or three draft picks. :x
100% agreed.

But I’m not stupid enough to not realise how poor our club looks to supporters and media and how poorly our team is playing. It really is crunch time ( but unfortunately that puts more and more pressure on the players and coaches and they really don’t need that at the moment- they’re unbelievably aware of the situation). May the footy Gods be on our side.
Thanks T74.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” ~ John Steinbeck's “Of Mice and Men”

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
chook23
Saintsational Legend

does not cut the mustard.......

what you have mentioned is non negotiable......

what has been dished up by the players/coaches has been rubbish.............including JLT

some of football and goalkicking is just so laughable and embarrassing....

damage is being done to supporters willingness to support.............or being severely tested.

saint4life
axcellence
Club Player

Richo has post 2 players

Riewoldt and Montagna

In the end, the list isn't good enuf.

Needs stars.... Won't go anywhere with Geary as captain.

stonecold
SS Life Member

axcellence wrote:Richo has post 2 players

Riewoldt and Montagna

Didn't rate Shinner?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote:re the 'trust issue'

i reckon it was the 'incident' against Caaaaarlton last year

gotta back your crew in
This is how Allan Jeans used to roll:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
axcellence
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
axcellence wrote:Richo has post 2 players

Riewoldt and Montagna

Didn't rate Shinner?????
Still won 11 odd games last year with Shinner not playing a single H&A game.

lefty
Club Player

1. Went to the game, at the very beginning we were already playing one loose in defense, why? It's already negative and a sign of no faith. Everyone in the crowd already questioned it. The scores were 0-0. Game plan related.

2. Forward line structure, it's a big concern. I saw Armo kick it out on the full, because he looks up and has no one. I see poor Patty, probably the slowest man in the AFL trying to catch two or three spare Melbourne players. Where's our small forwards? What happened to "saints footy" and hunting opposition like last year? Where is our structure? Why not try something different and always have one player at FF at all times, and the next at CHF. This is all game plan related. What we have isn't working, so try something. Can't be any worse than what we're already doing.

3. Kicking for goals, its in the head. Low confidence, low skills. There's no magical fix to confidence. Will only come from either winning or significant change.

4. Gresham always tries to do way to much, I wonder if he's playing for the team or himself?

5. People keep saying the answer is to just put in player X,Y,Z, but it won't make any difference. Relying on players who have not played one single AFL game as the saviors to all our problems are in la-la-land. I look at players like poor ol Wright, gets one AFL game and instantly dropped. There's no possible way that giving a player one AFL game then dropping them back to the two's gives any of them continuity and confidence at all. Doesn't matter what pick we get players, history shows that our development and faith in players over the last few years has been pretty poor. Tom Lynch, Siposs, White?, Goddard?... the list goes on. They can't all be that bad. They can only succeed and grow if they are put into an environment with structures, plans, and backed by the coaches.

6. Final note, just remember this was a team that belted Richmond last year (minus Roo and Monty). Guess we'll all have to sit and see what happens.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think one thing that is abundantly clear is our lack of leadership onfield...

We’re disorganised and confused all over the ground and there’s nobody there that grounds the structure. Who inspires the players?

As much as we need to play the kids, we need a veteran or two to lead the guys on the ground.

One late lesson that I’ve learned was the value of a guy like Adam Schneider who I didn’t rate and scoffed at the suggestion on the mystery value he had in the team...
That was the year that Lonie looked a player and our forward line functioned smoothly

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Tony there may be “effort” in a physical sense at times, or even often, but MENTALLY the team and club IS SHOT TO PIECES.

I’ve been attending Saints games since 1982 and can never remember it like this mentally speaking.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Saintly66 wrote:The fact that Rooey didn’t even like Richo is probably saying something, piss that campaigner off asap.
I haven't heard that before. Is there a media source on this or is it just grapevine stuff?
Have also heard this from very good source. Older players (Roo, Joey, Fisher) saw right through Richo. Called him mini GT.
I thought they all loved GT. Went to his place for bbq's, etc.
Loved him as a bloke and leader but as they matured, saw his weaknesses as a coach. Knew they needed more than rah-rah to take them to the next level which was why they loved Ross. See Richo as having the same limitations as GT.
Dark me!!
Hallelujah!!
Finally the truth comes out and we hav buffoons on here “pleading for GT to come back!!
The Emperor had NO clothes folks - he was ra ra, corporate spin....and then not much else - I can not believe people don’t see that even when ex players say it !
I had an ex assistant under Thomas tell me direct “he farked your club” (the guy was from North Melb ...u worknit iut??)
IF Richo is another Thomas we are in serious trouble cause right now it means he has NO CLUE how to get us out of this mess
We’ll be lucky not to fold

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
One late lesson that I’ve learned was the value of a guy like Adam Schneider who I didn’t rate and scoffed at the suggestion on the mystery value he had in the team...

It is also why Joey has been a much bigger loss than many understand or appreciate.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Saintly66 wrote:The fact that Rooey didn’t even like Richo is probably saying something, piss that campaigner off asap.
I haven't heard that before. Is there a media source on this or is it just grapevine stuff?
Have also heard this from very good source. Older players (Roo, Joey, Fisher) saw right through Richo. Called him mini GT.
Loved him as a bloke and leader but as they matured, saw his weaknesses as a coach. Knew they needed more than rah-rah to take them to the next level which was why they loved Ross. See Richo as having the same limitations as GT.
Dark me!!
Hallelujah!!
Finally the truth comes out and we hav buffoons on here “pleading for GT to come back!!
The Emperor had NO clothes folks - he was ra ra, corporate spin....and then not much else - I can not believe people don’t see that even when ex players say it !
I had an ex assistant under Thomas tell me direct “he farked your club” (the guy was from North Melb ...u worknit iut??)
IF Richo is another Thomas we are in serious trouble cause right now it means he has NO CLUE how to get us out of this mess
GT win loss ratio 51.63% 2001-2006
AR win loss ratio 34.09% 2014-
Last edited by spert on Tue 08 May 2018 9:04am, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
David-Lee wrote:
Actually Tony it is a lack of effort, skill and desire.
The facts, those things in black and white tell the story, lack of second efforts, poor disposal, missed marks, pathetic 1% er efforts. There is a significant lack of effort and if you are telling me you honestly think they have a passionate desire to win (players and coach) you need urgent mental health treatment. I am not kidding. If you can not correctly process body language, behaviour and actions to the point you see passion, desire and effort from this group, you need help. I'm not being funny. I'm serious. Call someone now, dont drive or operate machinery, you can't properly perceive reality.

Now, if you are just trying to be a positive ballast to keep the negatives from sinking the forum, then say so, otherwise, seek assistance immediately.

It’s a lack of skill. Absolutely no lack of effort or desire.
But when we kicked Richmond’s arse last year or in other games where we delivered top shelf footy, we had the skills....so why not now? Did the players suddenly become struck with irreparable skill loss? Did they lose their ability? Of course not. Their inability to deliver this year is a direct result of their mental state and that is down to leadership and coaching. Here we have one of the staff blaming the players and if that represents a deeply held attitude within the club, then we are going nowhere. It’s exactly the same as workplaces I have been in where management blame staff for the problems instead of taking responsibility for fixing it, which is management’s job.

spert
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
David-Lee wrote:
The facts, those things in black and white tell the story, lack of second efforts, poor disposal, missed marks, pathetic 1% er efforts. There is a significant lack of effort and if you are telling me you honestly think they have a passionate desire to win (players and coach) you need urgent mental health treatment. I am not kidding. If you can not correctly process body language, behaviour and actions to the point you see passion, desire and effort from this group, you need help. I'm not being funny. I'm serious. Call someone now, dont drive or operate machinery, you can't properly perceive reality.

Now, if you are just trying to be a positive ballast to keep the negatives from sinking the forum, then say so, otherwise, seek assistance immediately.

But when we kicked Richmond’s arse last year or in other games where we delivered top shelf footy, we had the skills....so why not now? Did the players suddenly become struck with irreparable skill loss? Did they lose their ability? Of course not. Their inability to deliver this year is a direct result of their mental state and that is down to leadership and coaching. Here we have one of the staff blaming the players and if that represents a deeply held attitude within the club, then we are going nowhere. It’s exactly the same as workplaces I have been in where management blame staff for the problems instead of taking responsibility for fixing it, which is management’s job.
An organisation is in trouble when management blames the workers or customers for their problems. The boys played their hearts out for Roo against Richmond(though lost the second half of that match). Beyond that, clearly not playing for Richo. This cant be fixed- you have to remove the problem at the top level.

barneyboyz
Club Player

outside66 wrote:I think one of the problems is that we've started to turn into party boys. I won't name names because that doesn't achieve anything (well in this environment anyway) but we've got one influential player who gets on the hard stuff almost every weekend - I've personally seen him ingest illicit substances at a nightspot. We've got another young gun who apparently isn't that interested in being a professional footballer and would prefer to hang with mates outside footy (not a bad thing) but their prerogative on the weekend is to also get on hard drugs (that's a bad thing). This is an AFL wide/social endemic yet it infuriates me to think that there are blokes wearing the Saints jumper who don't seem to give 2 stuffs about actually earning their lofty pay packages by making the 'sacrifices' required to be elite ala Rooey or a Dempster.
Welcome to the world of the modern 20 year old. Every footy club in the land is struggling at this age, atm, and it isn't getting any easier

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
David-Lee wrote:

I agree, skill drops off with a drop in confidence. Over the last several years we were able to get away with poor kicking skills (to some degree) by still scoring well. So Gilbert, Geary and the other 'butchers' had enough input to cover these mistakes.

For example, I thought on many occasions last year that Sam's ability and hardness at the footy repelled many opposition entries, it was great footy, and that goes for Geary as well, didn't matter too much the odd 'out of bounds'. This season though, the scoring yips have extended to the whole team's (except Webster) field kicking.

Against Melbourne, I saw on many occasions a free player on the fat side of centre calling for the ball, a quick (but accurate) kick to that player and away we go...but no, time and time again it didn't happen and we simply kick straight up the ground to a disadvantaged contest. Such is the way when it's easier to make the mistake in the decision, rather than the kick.

For what it's worth, I'd be getting them to play-on around the fifty at every opportunity for a month. The yips will disappear eventually, but it's clearly difficult having set shots atm. Get someone running past every time, it might be easy to coach against, but slowly we'll start to work it out. I reckon I could kick 9 out of 10 from 30 directly in front, easy, but I wouldn't want to be doing it in any of our games at the moment, it's sort of like the air inside 50 is about 10 atmospheres at the moment.

Get Jimmy Webster closer to goal too. His kicking was best-on material on the weekend, and if he could deliver 'inside' more...suppose we really need two of him

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he has lost the group.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
Dark me!!
Hallelujah!!
GT win loss ratio 51.63% 2001-2006
AR win loss ratio 34.09% 2014-
How’s that compare to Lyons??? Probably a better comparison but your point is moot - no ones defending Richo but just cause GT stats look nice he failed to take us to the big dance EVER Lyon did it back to back (ignore draw) after winning 19 straight and while they didn’t get it done he at least got us to the opportunity!

“Yeah….nah””
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully tonight I am proven wrong and the players get it done for themselves and Richo. If fact also for the club, sponsors and us supporters

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was hesitant to get involved on this discussion but on the evidence of the “ effort “ tonight ( V Freo ) I’d have to say Richardson is on borrowed time. For gods sake, Blight had a better win-loss record after 8 rounds!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saintly66
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was hesitant to get involved on this discussion but on the evidence of the “ effort “ tonight ( V Freo ) I’d have to say Richardson is on borrowed time. For gods sake, Blight had a better win-loss record after 8 rounds!
Don’t be silly, doesn’t go in line with what others think about all the things that are said about Richo and how they’re scoffed at as being bs.
Guess Rooey just loves Richo and all the players absolutely love playing for him. Bye bye Richo.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was hesitant to get involved on this discussion but on the evidence of the “ effort “ tonight ( V Freo ) I’d have to say Richardson is on borrowed time. For gods sake, Blight had a better win-loss record after 8 rounds!
Now let's not have reality get in the way of blind positivity!!

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

bigred wrote:I don't think he has lost the group.
LOL

Our % is is the lowest in the AFL. 69.4
We were older and more experienced than both Melbourne and Freo.

Just LOL.