Josh Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Josh Battle

We recruited this kid a couple of years ago.

Apparently he has talent, it's my understanding he's about the same size as Riewoldt, a good mark, goal kicker and endurance runner.

Our forward line has been dysfunctional this year, so why havn't we seen Josh Battle?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Battle

Toy Saint wrote:We recruited this kid a couple of years ago.

Apparently he has talent, it's my understanding he's about the same size as Riewoldt, a good mark, goal kicker and endurance runner.

Our forward line has been dysfunctional this year, so why havn't we seen Josh Battle?
Josh Battle - the new great white hope!!!

He is 19 ffs

Our problem - we have too many young players being relied on to produce game winning instead of having a system that introduces them gradually!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Because we have been watching Pudding.
Pudding was drafted No 1 so he must be played so that Trout and those who agreed to his recruitment don't lose face.
10 years from now we will still be watching Pudding fail because he was drafted at No1.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stonecold
SS Life Member

ace wrote:

Pudding was drafted No 1 so he must be played so that Trout and those who agreed to his recruitment don't lose face.
10 years from now we will still be watching Pudding fail because he was drafted at No1.
Because Josh Battle is showing very little in the two's, he's had one decent game!!!!!

If you think Josh is going to be our white night, prepare to be disappointed again!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
ace wrote:

Because Josh Battle is showing very little in the two's, he's had one decent game!!!!!

If you think Josh is going to be our white night, prepare to be disappointed again!!!!!
Yeah, went to the Sandringham game on Saturday. It'd be hard to pick him on that effort. But he was a decent target all day. I can't really remember the ball being kicked to his advantage once.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

He's had a couple reasonable games allegedly, but didn't feature much in yesterdays drubbing by Box Hill. Marshall didn't look too bad forward towards the end of the game versus Dee's, if he'd kicked straight he would have had 3 goals for the quarter.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saints have worst points for in the comp but several teams have worse points against. I appreciate stability but surely someone in the coaching staff and selection group can see the offense set up is rubbish and wishing a magic wand is not going to cut it. Battle might be young but we can't do worse in terms of relative scoring. The forward and centre lines need radical surgery/transplants - what would Allan Jeans do.

ace
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
stonecold wrote:
ace wrote:

Yeah, went to the Sandringham game on Saturday. It'd be hard to pick him on that effort. But he was a decent target all day. I can't really remember the ball being kicked to his advantage once.
A target you say, that will do, better than a Pudding.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:He's had a couple reasonable games allegedly, but didn't feature much in yesterdays drubbing by Box Hill. Marshall didn't look too bad forward towards the end of the game versus Dee's, if he'd kicked straight he would have had 3 goals for the quarter.
Agreed Battle has to demand a game with his form at VFL level. I fail to see why people are excited by Marshall, he is way off and may never make it. He is treacle slow and has the turning circle of those giant earthmovers they use in mining. He's not a key forward at best he may make a ruckman in the future, but at this stage he is behind Hickey and Longer as a ruckman.

stonecold
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:He's had a couple reasonable games allegedly, but didn't feature much in yesterdays drubbing by Box Hill. Marshall didn't look too bad forward towards the end of the game versus Dee's, if he'd kicked straight he would have had 3 goals for the quarter.
Just reviewed the tape, Marshall, like a lot of our players looked better when the result was done and dusted, simple, before that really gave us nothing to much!!!!!

The Melbourne big fellas dismantled ours early when the game was really on the line!!!!!

Our guys such as Marshall, Hickey, Carlisle etc only really came into the game when the result was beyond doubt (by halftime, if your fairdinkim), as much as I hate to admit it, Melbourne teased us when you look closely!!!!!

We really stink at the minute!!!!!

Player Breakdown:

#1 Was honest, smashed in the 1st qtr, did some good things around the ground, however no real influence when the game was up for grabs, not our worst, but not our best, doesn't defend enough and let's he's opponent roam free to often.

#2 Looks either disinterested or injuries, also came into the game when the result was decided.

#3 Tries his guts out, disposal still short of A-Grade, does not hurt enough by foot.

#4 Cracked in and did some nice things, however too often thinks he is the only forward on the ground, refuses to look for better options.

#5 not his best game, typical of our team at the moment, looks million $ when we are going well, looks to struggle at the standard when we are not.

#6 tried hard as always, however not damaging, opposition are happy for him to have the ball as he really doesn't hurt by foot (same as Geelong used to do with J.Gram).

#7 again has a real crack, just no real polish and sadly not damaging enough.

#9 tries hard, but again, another player who has very little influence on the game of football.

#11 will be OK, just not there yet, worth persisting with, just need to manage him

#14 same as others, honest, hard at it, just don't need him kicking the ball.

#15 sad to say, but, soft, is always trying to avoid physical contact, panics, has lost the time he once had, opposition teams work him over physically and mentally.

#16 has no real impact on contests and games, either refuses to tackle or doesn't know how to correctly. (He is the perfect example of the difference between us and Richmond, he constantly is getting games, Richmond have dropped Brandon Ellis, who had played more consecutive games than Jack).

#19 is there for experience and effort only, makes mistakes (as we all know), however just brings much needed experience to the table.

#20 looks very slow, but brings much needed toughness to the contest. Plus kicked straight, so he stays in

#21 our shining light this season, kicked straight, tackles hard, one of not many players whom bring 2nd-3rd efforts to the table, getting better each game.

#22 see Gilbert, doesn't get enough of the ball, however nobody is banging the door down to takes his spot.

#28 better for the run, hands looked cleaner yesterday, not at his best, but who would be playing in our forward line

#29 thought he was our best player, still makes mistakes trying to create, but love the fact he is trying to create and he is hard at every contest.

#32 looked good early (except for kicking), fell away quickly, due to illness and injury, not sure where to from here, think we have to play him when possible, not showing enough, however, often had to compete against too many in the air, including Gawn. Gawn opponent needed to tax him away from those contests (easier said than done however).
As per Skunk, would not like to be a key forward at the saints at the moment.

#33 has composure in spades, looks a little worn down and maybe could be given the week off. Will be a very damaging midfielder in time.

#43 looks lost at times, needs to clunk a few more marks (that will come with body strength), worth persisting with for the moment.

#44 does a lot of 1per centers, could and should get more footy, like Gilbo and Brown, is in for experience, after all, who else is there to play that role: Wright or Lonie?

As stated, that's my take on it after reviewing the tape, I'm sure there will be lots of differing opinions and that's ok.!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Agreed Battle has to demand a game with his form at VFL level. I fail to see why people are excited by Marshall, he is way off and may never make it. He is treacle slow and has the turning circle of those giant earthmovers they use in mining. He's not a key forward at best he may make a ruckman in the future, but at this stage he is behind Hickey and Longer as a ruckman.
Agree Marshall is a ruck/pinch-hit forward, and his trajectory is just as promising as both Longer and Hickey at this point of their careers IMO. No-one said he's the great white hope though. Needs time though. However, if he'd kicked 3 goals in 15 minutes yesterday you would be excited, wouldn't you?

Stonie...I can't take anything you say about Hick or Marshall seriously, they are both a presence around the ground (at no point was Hickey ever 'smashed', had a couple scoring assists as well as some shots and very good defensive mark or two), Longer just isn't. All of us can appreciate The Beard's presence around the ground, he's a proto modern ruckman...the way we passed to him a few times yesterday, we must be in absolute awe of him.

As for Marshall, the Dee's never took their foot off the pedal, so despite the result being done and dusted it was still a competition.
Last edited by degruch on Mon 07 May 2018 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Do we really think these types of changes will make a difference.

Marshall is being played in front of Battle. Battle didn't appear to do much at Sandy either....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Just reviewed the tape, Marshall, like a lot of our players looked better when the result was done and dusted, simple, before that really gave us nothing to much!!!!!

The Melbourne big fellas dismantled ours early when the game was really on the line!!!!!

Our guys such as Marshall, Hickey, Carlisle etc only really came into the game when the result was beyond doubt (by halftime, if your fairdinkim), as much as I hate to admit it, Melbourne teased us when you look closely!!!!!

We really stink at the minute!!!!!

Player Breakdown:

#1 Was honest, smashed in the 1st qtr, did some good things around the ground, however no real influence when the game was up for grabs, not our worst, but not our best, doesn't defend enough and let's he's opponent roam free to often.

#2 Looks either disinterested or injuries, also came into the game when the result was decided.

#3 Tries his guts out, disposal still short of A-Grade, does not hurt enough by foot.

#4 Cracked in and did some nice things, however too often thinks he is the only forward on the ground, refuses to look for better options.

#5 not his best game, typical of our team at the moment, looks million $ when we are going well, looks to struggle at the standard when we are not.

#6 tried hard as always, however not damaging, opposition are happy for him to have the ball as he really doesn't hurt by foot (same as Geelong used to do with J.Gram).

#7 again has a real crack, just no real polish and sadly not damaging enough.

#9 tries hard, but again, another player who has very little influence on the game of football.

#11 will be OK, just not there yet, worth persisting with, just need to manage him

#14 same as others, honest, hard at it, just don't need him kicking the ball.

#15 sad to say, but, soft, is always trying to avoid physical contact, panics, has lost the time he once had, opposition teams work him over physically and mentally.

#16 has no real impact on contests and games, either refuses to tackle or doesn't know how to correctly. (He is the perfect example of the difference between us and Richmond, he constantly is getting games, Richmond have dropped Brandon Ellis, who had played more consecutive games than Jack).

#19 is there for experience and effort only, makes mistakes (as we all know), however just brings much needed experience to the table.

#20 looks very slow, but brings much needed toughness to the contest. Plus kicked straight, so he stays in

#21 our shining light this season, kicked straight, tackles hard, one of not many players whom bring 2nd-3rd efforts to the table, getting better each game.

#22 see Gilbert, doesn't get enough of the ball, however nobody is banging the door down to takes his spot.

#28 better for the run, hands looked cleaner yesterday, not at his best, but who would be playing in our forward line

#29 thought he was our best player, still makes mistakes trying to create, but love the fact he is trying to create and he is hard at every contest.

#32 looked good early (except for kicking), fell away quickly, due to illness and injury, not sure where to from here, think we have to play him when possible, not showing enough, however, often had to compete against too many in the air, including Gawn. Gawn opponent needed to tax him away from those contests (easier said than done however).
As per Skunk, would not like to be a key forward at the saints at the moment.

#33 has composure in spades, looks a little worn down and maybe could be given the week off. Will be a very damaging midfielder in time.

#43 looks lost at times, needs to clunk a few more marks (that will come with body strength), worth persisting with for the moment.

#44 does a lot of 1per centers, could and should get more footy, like Gilbo and Brown, is in for experience, after all, who else is there to play that role: Wright or Lonie?

As stated, that's my take on it after reviewing the tape, I'm sure there will be lots of differing opinions and that's ok.!!!!!
Seems very fair and accurate to me.

The rebuild has failed.

Play all the kids and get back to a basic game plan.

Give the players and the team a few simple goals that they can work on.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.