New Jumper Numbers for 2017 ( official)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Jumper Numbers for 2017 ( official)

Interesting

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spiral3
Club Player

happy with Sinclair in 35, there's something about his shimmy in traffic that reminds me of the great man harves
just rewatched the game vs Melb early in the year and he did some very nice things (was dropped the next week I think....? (no facts checked))
was a class above in one of the VFL finals also (vision and execution)
really hope he kicks on at AFL level, like the way he goes about it, especially his ability to make the most of opportunities inside 50
IMO if you take your opportunities inside 50 your value is high. hoping Josh Battle has enough nouse to create opportunities at AFL level, it seems as though he will cash them in

note to J Billings - finish your good work!!!

did check some facts :) - career GL vs BH
J Sinclair - 22.11
J Billings - 27.33

Billings fan but that ratio is craptastic given his skill level

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote:
J Sinclair - 22.11
J Billings - 27.33

Billings fan but that ratio is craptastic given his skill level
Agree with your opinion on Sinclair and also thanks for the stats on Billings. No excuse for missing easy shots and there have been times when he's muffed easy goals. There have been other times during matches where he lacks confidence or flair in general play and other times where he simply rushes his disposals and it usually means it's a turnover or ineffective disposal.

E.g. Billings makes good position on a lead to a pocket but he doesn't finish if it's on his non-preferred. Pisses me off when it is on the wrong side for a left footer, he still goes for the low percentage shot from a tight angle. Either kick it as a drop punt with your right foot or practice kicking across your body on your right foot (StevieJ style) or just go the check-side banana. If you're getting the same result, why not change? Why do players think there's a better chance of kicking it normally when the angle is tight rather than going the banana?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Full list was published by the saints on Saturday
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-12-0 ... 17-numbers
St Kilda has finalised its playing numbers ahead of the 2017 season, with all new recruits allocated guernseys and some familiar faces inheriting famous numbers.

Exciting young gun Jade Gresham will wear No. 4 next season, a number made famous in red, white and black by Tony Lockett, Darrel Baldock and Barry Breen, while another budding youngster Jack Sinclair has received Robert Harvey’s iconic No. 35.

Recently acquired midfielder Koby Stevens will continue in the No. 25 he wore at the Western Bulldogs, while former Giant Jack Steele will wear No. 9 and former Collingwood premiership defender Nathan Brown will run out in No. 22.

St Kilda’s first pick in last Friday night’s National Draft, Ben Long, has received No. 21, while fellow draftees Josh Battle and Ed Phillips have been allocated No. 26 and No. 30 respectively.

The Saints’ sole selection in Monday’s Rookie Draft, Rowan Marshall, has been handed No. 43.

Irish recruits, Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan, won’t have to look far for each other in the locker room at Linen House Centre, with the pair receiving No. 39 and No. 40.

While New Zealand international rookie, Barclay Miller, has been allocated No. 47, next to two other overseas products in Jason Holmes and Joe Baker-Thomas.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sinclair will do the No 35 proud. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Not sure how Josh is feeling, but personally, I'm rapt that he's kept the famous No 27. :D

The last Saint's left-footed full forward I remember in that number was one of our club's all-time greats.

Now there's a footballer to aspire to emulate Josh. You mightn't be quite of that standard, but I still reckon that you're very very worthy to carry that famous number in our forward line. :)

(IMHO, still an inexplicable travesty GY isn't in our Team of the Century. :shock: But that's another topic... )

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
George27
Club Player

Dave -as you can imagine, given the name I use on this forum, I am totally with you in hoping that Josh can aspire to emulate the great George Young ! Regrettably however, as much as I wanted to , I could not fit George into my best ever Saints team ( being players whom I had the pleasure of watching )
My six forwards are : Winmar, Riewoldt,Baldock; Loewe, Lockett, Milne. Couldn't even find him a spot on the bench, given the need for midfield rotations !

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:Dave -as you can imagine, given the name I use on this forum, I am totally with you in hoping that Josh can aspire to emulate the great George Young ! Regrettably however, as much as I wanted to , I could not fit George into my best ever Saints team ( being players whom I had the pleasure of watching )
My six forwards are : Winmar, Riewoldt,Baldock; Loewe, Lockett, Milne. Couldn't even find him a spot on the bench, given the need for midfield rotations !
Hi G27. Great news!

Roo and Tipper are officially out of your Team Of the (20th) Century. :D

And as for last century's team... with all due respect to his unique and eternally unassailable place in our club's history... I'd rate the great George Young as a significantly better player, than Barry Breen. (Not like for like necessarily, but I'd also rate GY ahead of Darryl Griffiths.)

So he's in. :D

(I also like the look of that bloke loitering in the forward line next to Plugger. The only bloke who made the team... who played before WW1! :wink: )

St Kilda Team of the Century: 1900–1999
B: Barry Lawrence Verdun Howell Kevin Neale
HB: Trevor Barker Neil Roberts Daryl Griffiths
C: Nicky Winmar Ian Stewart Lance Oswald
HF: Stewart Loewe Darrel Baldock (C) Bill Mohr
F: Dave McNamara Tony Lockett Nathan Burke
Foll: Carl Ditterich Robert Harvey Ross Smith
Int: Barry Breen Robert Murray Alan Morrow
Jim Ross
Coach: Allan Jeans

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Georgey in my greatest ever saints team. On the Hff flank. I couldn't have the doc in mine because I never saw him play. Gehrig, Milne Lockett, Riewoldt Loewe and Young. Imagine throwing the Doc, Breen and Hunt into that mix!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Breeny made my bench. Wore his number as a kid.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Georgey in my greatest ever saints team. On the Hff flank. I couldn't have the doc in mine because I never saw him play. Gehrig, Milne Lockett, Riewoldt Loewe and Young. Imagine throwing the Doc, Breen and Hunt into that mix!
I did see the Doc play and he is my 'Best Team' captain
My forward line is (from players I have seen live) :-

Georgie, Nick, Doc
Buckets, Plugger, Milney

(Nicky would be on a wing)

As for Darryl Griffiths, he's the second best RuckRover I've seen at St Kilda (only behind Banger) IMHO