Thanks to all for an interesting trade period.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to all for an interesting trade period.

Now that the dust has settled and we can cast a more objective eye over the work Ameet and trout did, I think it's fair to say the "boys done good". The steal from Hawthorn was the biggest robbery since Ronnie Biggs and co. knocked over the mail train in the old dart back in the 60's. That's the sort of thing that has, in the past, been done to us. With 2017 to come, our trading position could hardly be stronger. That will see the end of a five year cycle of outstanding drafting and recruiting. The club is now really well placed to repeat the successes of the last decade, with us hopefully going one better!

A big thanks to Jaxons for the updates and for keeping the intelligence coming. The problem with these trade periods is that there are so many conversations and potential trades, of which only a tiny percentage come off. When you look at it, we got only four 'deals' done, when there would've been dozens of conversations and a lot of haggling. As an outsider, or even an ITK, if you could get just a couple right, you'd be ahead of the game. The main fun is all the speculation and dreaming of what might be. We didn't land the big one, but we're nicely set up to do so next year.

Thanks also to Stonecold for keeping up the enthusiasm and providing plenty of lively discussion along the way! To Ace and his magical computer that kept cranking out the numbers and explaining what values were attached to each trade. To Saynta for being first with the news of Jack Steele coming to us, way back in early September. Probably the club house leader for the best prediction of the period. To Tony 74, a true ITK whose assessment of the trade period would be most welcome. Very quiet, was Tony. A good tactic, given you want to play your cards as close to your chest during this time. To all the other posters, a big thanks. I love this forum and one thing is certain, it's never boring. I'm off on holidays, but I bet I won't be able to stay away. Further developments are bound to be revealed.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thanks to all for an interesting trade period.

I'm looking for a math teacher WW. Ace did my head in! I tried, oh how I tried, to decipher what his numbers meant; however for an innumerate such as I, I was left floundering trying to work out what combination of draft picks would give us the numerical value to land 'the big fish'.
Didn't understand a bit of it 'Ace', but I was impressed. I plagurised one of your posts over a cup of coffee with friends the other day. They were astounded with my mathematical knowledge of interpreting draft picks. Then they started asking me to work out the math on Freo's possible trades. I was then found out as a fraud!!!

yipper
SS Life Member

Yep, ditto. outstanding work by Trout and the team. Made me very proud - universally ackowledged that we owned the trade period.

And thanks Jaxons - your input is just excellent - when I know you are online I always go and look to see what is happening.

CHeers

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
George27
Club Player

Excellent post, WW, and thanks to all those whom you mentioned. I did not post at all during the trade period, as I am definitely one of the NFI brigade when it comes to the in and out of trades, but I enjoyed immensely reading all the speculation and ultimately the successes of the recruiting team. Aside from a few unfortunate lapses when posters launched into personal criticism of each other - which is so tiresome but happily seems to have reduced in quantity over time - the posts have been interesting and enjoyable .

Next I think comes the hard part - the decision to part ways with some good servants of the club to make way for the recruits. That will definitely not be fun .

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Now that the dust has settled and we can cast a more objective eye over the work Ameet and trout did, I think it's fair to say the "boys done good". The steal from Hawthorn was the biggest robbery since Ronnie Biggs and co. knocked over the mail train in the old dart back in the 60's. That's the sort of thing that has, in the past, been done to us. With 2017 to come, our trading position could hardly be stronger. That will see the end of a five year cycle of outstanding drafting and recruiting. The club is now really well placed to repeat the successes of the last decade, with us hopefully going one better!

A big thanks to Jaxons for the updates and for keeping the intelligence coming. The problem with these trade periods is that there are so many conversations and potential trades, of which only a tiny percentage come off. When you look at it, we got only four 'deals' done, when there would've been dozens of conversations and a lot of haggling. As an outsider, or even an ITK, if you could get just a couple right, you'd be ahead of the game. The main fun is all the speculation and dreaming of what might be. We didn't land the big one, but we're nicely set up to do so next year.

Thanks also to Stonecold for keeping up the enthusiasm and providing plenty of lively discussion along the way! To Ace and his magical computer that kept cranking out the numbers and explaining what values were attached to each trade. To Saynta for being first with the news of Jack Steele coming to us, way back in early September. Probably the club house leader for the best prediction of the period. To Tony 74, a true ITK whose assessment of the trade period would be most welcome. Very quiet, was Tony. A good tactic, given you want to play your cards as close to your chest during this time. To all the other posters, a big thanks. I love this forum and one thing is certain, it's never boring. I'm off on holidays, but I bet I won't be able to stay away. Further developments are bound to be revealed.
+1
Well said WW