Do we really need another tall defender?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we really need another tall defender?

If we are in the frame for a scrawny defender that can run and carry (Scrimshaw) then surely we should be looking at a slightly stronger bodied defender that can run and carry; Griffen Logue

If we haven't spoken to him, that's ok. I heard him being interviewed and he's happy to move interstate. As long as both parties are willing it will all work out. In any case, I've watched the tv show 'Married at first sight' and there's been a few happy endings

Not sure if he or Scrimshaw will end up as KPDers ( in the Sam Fisher/Josh Gibson mould) but they fit the Bont and Cripps prototype pretty well

POS: Key defender, Ht 194cm, WT 92kg, DOB 13/4/98
From Swan Districts/Western Australia

Logue has come into the top-20 because of his unique range of skills. The 194cm prospect has played senior football for Swan Districts this season and was used as a key defender for Western Australia at the under-18 championships. But two weeks ago he played an outstanding game for his club's colts side as a tall midfielder, gathering 33 disposals and using his bigger frame to bust through stoppages. He also had five hit-outs across the day, pinch-hitting as a ruckman when required. He has his fans as a first-round pick.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

If he is quicker than Goddard
the interception skill of Allir/Gibson
and a better back up ruckman than Bruce
then why not ?

oops forgot to add - no way a first rounder

Seeya
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Gardiner the one we should look at if Corr doesn't pan out (likely).

Eli and a pick should do it but will be a bit of wheeling and dealing in between then I'm sure.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:Need a plan B. Even if its just for a year or two.
This would be precisely what the club is considering IMO, and I reckon they'll be looking at recycled players for the answer (with fresh backup coming from the rookie draft)...I don't think we'll be chasing a huge fish, maybe Mackenzie, or if N Brown can't find a gig?

Wombat15
Club Player

Scollop wrote: POS: Key defender, Ht 194cm, WT 92kg, DOB 13/4/98

Logue has come into the top-20 because of his unique range of skills. The 194cm prospect has played senior football for Swan Districts this season and was used as a key defender for Western Australia at the under-18 championships. But two weeks ago he played an outstanding game for his club's colts side as a tall midfielder, gathering 33 disposals and using his bigger frame to bust through stoppages. He also had five hit-outs across the day, pinch-hitting as a ruckman when required. He has his fans as a first-round pick.
Seems a very good athlete based on his combine results. looks very much in the mold of Sean Dempster. Skills wise he didnt seem to place highly though but they can be improved obviously.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:

Seems a very good athlete based on his combine results. looks very much in the mold of Sean Dempster. Skills wise he didnt seem to place highly though but they can be improved obviously.
There's potential for him to play in the midfield, but if he can replace Dempster or Sam Fisher that would be perfect. Quite a bit of love for Logue in the 'jaxons come on down' thread. He'll need time, but I'm hoping if we are fortunate enough to recruit Logue that he could be our Josh Gibson or Easton Wood in years to come.

Wombat15
Club Player

personally id prefer scrimshaw at that pick though. has the tools to become pretty much anything and i think we are in the perfect window to gamble on a player like that. i reckon we should too alot of our picks have been the safe solid bet and i reckon scrimshaw has that x factor about him.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hope we don't end up with Mitch Brown. Those Brown brothers aren't much chop in the modern game.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Hope we don't end up with Mitch Brown. Those Brown brothers aren't much chop in the modern game.
Make a decent wine, though.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:

There's potential for him to play in the midfield, but if he can replace Dempster or Sam Fisher that would be perfect. Quite a bit of love for Logue in the 'jaxons come on down' thread. He'll need time, but I'm hoping if we are fortunate enough to recruit Logue that he could be our Josh Gibson or Easton Wood in years to come.
Plus we could name an award after him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:personally id prefer scrimshaw at that pick though. has the tools to become pretty much anything and i think we are in the perfect window to gamble on a player like that. i reckon we should too alot of our picks have been the safe solid bet and i reckon scrimshaw has that x factor about him.
It's ok to have x factor but I reckon the one ingredient that you must possess to play our great game is a bit of mongrel factor

If I was a recruitor, I'd be looking for kids that show agression. It doesn't necessarily have to be the way they tackle or the way they contest the footy. It could be a kid that knows how to hang on to the footy or evade a tackle and knows how to aggressively fend off when he's about to be tackled. Think Jade Gresham in that goal of the year moment against Lonergan

Wombat15
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
Wombat15 wrote:personally id prefer scrimshaw at that pick though. has the tools to become pretty much anything and i think we are in the perfect window to gamble on a player like that. i reckon we should too alot of our picks have been the safe solid bet and i reckon scrimshaw has that x factor about him.
It's ok to have x factor but I reckon the one ingredient that you must possess to play our great game is a bit of mongrel factor

If I was a recruitor, I'd be looking for kids that show agression. It doesn't necessarily have to be the way they tackle or the way they contest the footy. It could be a kid that knows how to hang on to the footy or evade a tackle and knows how to aggressively fend off when he's about to be tackled. Think Jade Gresham in that goal of the year moment against Lonergan
Yeah i completely get that, but we have a lot of that as it is. Scrimshaw is a very smooth operator, moves like pendles, just very cool calm and collected when he has the ball. Having him and Acres in the same side would be very handy. He's also a Jack as well which is a handy thing.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I didnt want to start a new thread so Ill ask here.

Ill start by saying my exposure to Goddard is minimal, only the games he's played at top level.

So...We all know he looks slow, possibly due to him being built like a giant. Would it be possible sculpt him into the same sort of body shape as Dustin Fletcher was? Gives up an inch or 2 in comparison to Fletcher but his body type to me looks like a hulked up version of that. It would also take some of the force out of his achilles also and gives us more run and intercept out of the backline which is what we have built a game style on.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Not anymore

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Done and dusted N Brown Collingwood for no cost other than salary

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"