What's the ceiling for Seb Ross?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

What's the ceiling for Seb Ross?

Seb is coming off his best year by a mile, in which he took his game to a whole new level. I guess in the Rating levels he is about a B Grade mid now. A very pleasing aspect is that he has gone toe to toe with some of the best, including Dangerfield, and held his own.

With a focus on improving from within, how good can Seb become? Does he have elite potential? What does he need to do to reach the next level?

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: What's the ceiling for Seb Ross?

lewdogs wrote:Seb is coming off his best year by a mile, in which he took his game to a whole new level. I guess in the Rating levels he is about a B Grade mid now. A very pleasing aspect is that he has gone toe to toe with some of the best, including Dangerfield, and held his own.

With a focus on improving from within, how good can Seb become? Does he have elite potential? What does he need to do to reach the next level?
Just needs to do his pre-season along side Jack Newnes. If he can get to elite running, anything is possible

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
loris
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:
lewdogs wrote:Seb is coming off his best year by a mile, in which he took his game to a whole new level. I guess in the Rating levels he is about a B Grade mid now. A very pleasing aspect is that he has gone toe to toe with some of the best, including Dangerfield, and held his own.

Just needs to do his pre-season along side Jack Newnes. If he can get to elite running, anything is possible
Well they share the same house and are very close, so maybe Newnes and Seb can push each other two new heights?

barneyboyz
Club Player

loris wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

Well they share the same house and are very close, so maybe Newnes and Seb can push each other two new heights?
Actually I reckon it is already becoming a natural progression for Seb, he will be a super player and a key player at Saints

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Seb and a couple of other mids, do work with a sprinting coach over summer and really work on speed off the mark. We really only have Steven who can take off and run, but when he gets tagged, it all slows down a lot.

barneyboyz
Club Player

spert wrote:I would like to see Seb and a couple of other mids, do work with a sprinting coach over summer and really work on speed off the mark. We really only have Steven who can take off and run, but when he gets tagged, it all slows down a lot.
Agree and I would like to see Mav playing more mid roles, his aggression at the ball in the centre would be huge. I don't see the midfield being as big an issue as some would believe and reckon if Holmes can become a ruck/forward, his tap-work would greatly help as Hickey already is

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A touch better than this year

Solid A Grade Mid... Similar level to a Mundy or Scotty T or Jordan Lewis

damienc
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:
loris wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

Actually I reckon it is already becoming a natural progression for Seb, he will be a super player and a key player at Saints

On the money. Well said.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

He's never gonna be a "star", he's not flashy enough. He wont get the plaudits in the media or the greater footy community.....and that's fine.

He is/will be a great warrior for the Saints. I still think he has some filling out to do which will help with strength around the contest, his disposal looks ungainly but is pretty effective, and his movement improved greatly in 2016. For the first time in his career he looked like a strong athlete, where previously he'd been a bit of a plodder.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

For me Sebs next step on his journey is to start stepping up in responsibility. With Armo struggling this year we often only had Steven who had the ability to try and swing the momentum of games and that is too easy to stop. The big losses we had this year started in the centre, unable to change the pattern of a match spiraling out of control.

I have worries about Armo's ability to be a real force for us in the middle with his injuries and age. I'd love Seb to start taking over from ARmo as the man in the middle who organises, inspires, makes the big clearances when needed and gets up in others faces when its going against us to work out whats happening and fix it. He seems to have a quiet personality though so I don't know if that will come natural to him.

I'd also love to see him kick more goals - just 3 this year. I understand he has done a defensive role quite a few times. But we need our mids to score to take the pressure off the forward line and make us multi-faceted and hard to stop.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is Armo that old?

Thought he was 28..

Saint wagga
Club Player

In 3 more seasons Seb will only be 26 and entering his prime!! I expect him to become an elite mid, With the ability to win a B and F and knock on the door of AA selection...I thinking equal end up playing a lot like his cousin, bullocking mid who can kick goals and be an inspiration thru actions. He could even be our next skipper!! No pressure or anything Seb

aaron82
Club Player

Armo worries me a little. He has been one of my favourites and an absolute warrior for the team. He is 28 and never been blessed with pace. Due to his hardness over the years he has had a lot of collision injuries. He could go quickly 31-32 like Stephen Powell, Luke Ball etc.

I see a role for him next season up on forward flank/midfield. He is a reliable kick, makes good decisions, can take an overhead mark and he will put forward pressure on. I'm hoping Acres, Gresham and others come on rapidly as he could be useful in our forward line

and that's the bottom line