Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armo

Ok so I am about to be a hypocrite here.
Every year for the last five years we have discussed the idea of trading Armo to the GC. So predictable that is basically a running joke on here. I myself have mocked the idea.

BUT

The GC have just lost Prestia and JOM.

Swallow, Ablett and Rischitelli are injured almost all of the time.

They are desperate for a mature midfielder.

They have two x top 10 picks (at least - maybe they will end up with 4).

Is this too good an opportunity for us to pass up?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 28 Aug 2016 2:23am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo

Personally, I'm not opposed to this idea.

Armo is 28. 2 years ago he had his breakout and verged on being among the very elite players but his form line has dropped a bit to the point that is he a good player mosts weeks with a few great games a season, and a few under par ones.

He's not overly fast and his disposal is not particularly great though it's not exactly terrible either. Tough as a freaking bull... A true wrecking ball. In a lot of ways he's the barometer of this team... Hot stuff one week, cam go missing others.

The thing is however that we have a few players in the same mould. Sebastian Ross comes to mind... Luke Dunstan is obviously not yet as good but looks capable of getting there... Guys like Newnes etc that aren't exactly like for like but still.

The fact is that we need more jets... Fast, excellent disposal etc and if we got one, a starting 22 mid would have to make way.
Armo is expendable IMO. He's pbly past his best and if u got a decent offer for him, I'd be mighty tempted to take it

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Remind me again why he didn't play in our GFs ...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Because whilst Chapman was cutting us up to pieces, we needed Dempster up forward to guard particularly important parts of space... Not just any ground, he needed to stand in particular spots.

Armo just wasn't up to that at the time

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Remind me again why he didn't play in our GFs ...
Something to do with the Genius of Lyon, Misson and the bubble? 8-)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Trade Armo at your peril. He is what I call a "fabric of the club" player. Worth more than just his on field stats. Remember Bradbury and Carey at the dopers? GOPs but traded away by shitty in the middle of what was meant to be a dynasty. Raines and Richardson were brought in and the club tore itself apart. Took years to mend. Apparently the two of them used to fight to the death for mirror time. Your argument is a compelling one, Con, but I would proceed with extreme caution.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So if we get JOM hypothetically and he's fit to play, whose spot does he take?

carn_sainter
Club Player

Armitage has had a disappointing season in many ways.

His offensive output is pretty minimal. As mentioned, his disposal isn't horrendous...some of his field kicking is very neat, though never penetrating. His set shots on goal have been very good this year too.

His defensive output is very important.

Last year he was much better able to get first hands on the ball. This year he has been a step or two behind, so he is tackling more than he is winning clearances.

But the coaches love him. Absolutely love him. So he clearly does what is asked of him and clearly provides some important stuff to the team.

In my opinion, of all the midfielders, Armo is the one whom we could trade. I would see trading any of the others as a worse idea. But Dave is still a valuable guy to have in our team.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:So if we get JOM hypothetically and he's fit to play, whose spot does he take?
Anyone other than tall, key position types and ruckmen. He's a gun when fit. Would be close to our best midfielder if he came down and got himself right. Only Steven would be ahead of him, IMHO. As with Dangerfield, the cost may not be as high as the Suns are demanding. Their president has to talk tough, but in the end the Suns have no bargaining power if they are willing to send him to the draft. Trade, or get nothing. The Crows saw this and did the deal for Danger, quickly and cleanly. A bit like Carlisle last year. Hopefully we learned from that experience. If we want him badly, that is.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Remind me again why he didn't play in our GFs ...
Something to do with the Genius of Lyon, Misson and the bubble? 8-)
Yep. Bad f****** coaching, IMHO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
skeptic wrote:So if we get JOM hypothetically and he's fit to play, whose spot does he take?
Anyone other than tall, key position types and ruckmen. He's a gun when fit. Would be close to our best midfielder if he came down and got himself right. Only Steven would be ahead of him, IMHO. As with Dangerfield, the cost may not be as high as the Suns are demanding. Their president has to talk tough, but in the end the Suns have no bargaining power if they are willing to send him to the draft. Trade, or get nothing. The Crows saw this and did the deal for Danger, quickly and cleanly. A bit like Carlisle last year. Hopefully we learned from that experience. If we want him badly, that is.
So anyone would include Armo would it not?

Why keep him then?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If it wasnt for Seb Ross I wouldnt even consider trading Armo.
BUT
Now Seb is so good in Armos position I think we can contemplate trading Armo for a young gun.

citywest

Gold Coast have pick 9 which they received from Melbourne. If they come to us and offer pick 9 for Armo we should take it. Then we trade pick 9 to GWS for Steele and pick 17 which they received from Geelong, via Carlton. Then we go to the Draft with picks 10 and 17.

saintbob
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:Gold Coast have pick 9 which they received from Melbourne. If they come to us and offer pick 9 for Armo we should take it. Then we trade pick 9 to GWS for Steele and pick 17 which they received from Geelong, via Carlton. Then we go to the Draft with picks 10 and 17.
Dreaming, Armo's not worth pick 9 a second rounder at best.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Why keep him then?
Read my earlier post, please. Armo's value to the team is greater than merely his on field contribution. As I wrote earlier, he is a "fabric of the club" type. There is always plenty of room for good players in any team, especially when they are proven leaders and solid role models. His form today was exceptional and showed him at his best. And his best is very good.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Did I see Armo put his hands on an umpire today??

Right after Roo gave away the 50. I'm sure I did, hope I didn't.

8856brother wrote:Did I see Armo put his hands on an umpire today??

Maybe you should delete your post.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Why keep him then?
Read my earlier post, please. Armo's value to the team is greater than merely his on field contribution. As I wrote earlier, he is a "fabric of the club" type. There is always plenty of room for good players in any team, especially when they are proven leaders and solid role models. His form today was exceptional and showed him at his best. And his best is very good.
Are you seeing the contradiction in what you're saying?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
citywest wrote:Gold Coast have pick 9 which they received from Melbourne. If they come to us and offer pick 9 for Armo we should take it. Then we trade pick 9 to GWS for Steele and pick 17 which they received from Geelong, via Carlton. Then we go to the Draft with picks 10 and 17.
Dreaming, Armo's not worth pick 9 a second rounder at best.
What if they offer us overs like a top ten pick?

lintonstreet
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok so I am about to be a hypocrite here.
Every year for the last five years we have discussed the idea of trading Armo to the GC. So predictable that is basically a running joke on here. I myself have mocked the idea.

BUT

The GC have just lost Prestia and JOM.

Swallow, Ablett and Rischitelli are injured almost all of the time.

They are desperate for a mature midfielder.

They have two x top 10 picks (at least - maybe they will end up with 4).

Is this too good an opportunity for us to pass up?
Very difficult to argue with your logic.
From my perspective, I just hope they don't.
I can see Armo playing a key finals role in 2018 just like Lenny did in 2010. I know he'll be 30 then, but his defensive efforts I still think are better than our other mids.
Maybe though I'm still arguing with my heart and not my head. Glad I dont have to make the call./

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Why? Have I missed something?

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
saynta wrote:

Why? Have I missed something?
No. but the media read this site and they don't miss much.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Why keep him then?
Are you seeing the contradiction in what you're saying?
No. No one is untradeable. I just wouldn't trade Armo for reasons I've outlined in consecutive posts. I conceded Con had a good argument for trading him. He's not untradable. It's just IMHO I wouldn't do it, again, for reasons I explained. The club may have a different view. Can I put it more simply for you?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Look i don't disagree with your fabric of the club argument in principle. I think it was Terry Wallace that said that moving on Stephen Powell from the Bulldogs years ago set them back more than he could have imagined and far beyond what came of his onfield performance... And one could argue that he their loss was our gain given how much we improved shortly after he came on board.
That point is clear...

I guess i'm zeroing in on trying to figure out what you think we should do rather than not do... And in that sense perhaps reading too much into what you've been saying.
Con is arguing that Armo is the most dispensable... And bringing JOM in, Well it would suggest that it would cost us Armo + whatever more.

I thought you were saying we should get him, but not sacrifice Armo but a better/more valuable player and was struggling to follow the logic but that's not what you're saying. Just that you want to keep Armo. Correct?

To the top
SS Life Member

Heart and soul of the Club - and quite possibly the 2017 Captain.

Given McKenzie and White looking to slot themselves into our defence (and Rice) we may have a surplus of mid sized defenders to support Carlisle, Fisher and Goddard (upon his return) - then there are Roberton and Gilbert with these options allowing Montagna to return to the mid-field which will be further improved by Freeman completing an uninterrupted pre-season.

That leaves the likes of Savage and Geary under pressure from the "next wave".

But not the leader of our mid-field.