On the line Saturday night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

On the line Saturday night

For a side that was the team of the 90s, playing in 8 consecutive preliminary finals, and winning three premierships, playing in 6 grand finals in a row in the 70s during our bad years, and being a top 5 side during our wooden spoon era of the 80s, and the fact that they have been more than 4 times more successful than us; despite all of this, we are level with North in our victory head to heads - 76 each of 2.
Even our respective greatest winning margins against each other is identical - 104 points.

So we are not just playing for the top 8 tomorrow night, we are playing for bragging rights - the lead in our head to heads!

I will never forget the game we had to win to avoid the wooden spoon in 1980 - Round 22 at Arden St, home of perennial Grand Finalist, North Melbourne.
Lindsay Fox told the team if we won he'd shout the team a trip to Hawaii.
In the last quarter the side were peppering the goals, and all the while the cheer squad behind the goals were chanting 'Hawaaaiiiiiiiieeee'. Fitzroy were playing Carlton at VFL park, and people who were listening to their transistor radios were giving us updates, as Fitzroy booted goal after goal in the last quarter in their attempt to dodge the wooden spoon.
They kicked 9 goals in the last quarter and lost by a few points.
We kicked a bag too, but too many points and drew.
The 'Roys got the wooden spoon.
The players didn't get their Hawaii holiday.

This is the side we played and defeated in a game in 1933 where we famously earned our shield - awarded to us in a ceremony at the St. Kilda Town Hall.
With only 15 fit players on the field, many of them severely injured, we emerged victorious in one of the club's most famous wins. We earned our most iconic emblem, our shield against this mob. Let's invoke the spirit of '33 and bring those bragging rights home.

Carna Sainters!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: On the line Saturday night

If our current Prez shouts the boys lunch at the Portsea Pub if we win would that be enough incentive for tomorrow night?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:For a side that was the team of the 90s, playing in 8 consecutive preliminary finals, and winning three premierships, playing in 6 grand finals in a row in the 70s during our bad years, and being a top 5 side during our wooden spoon era of the 80s, and the fact that they have been more than 4 times more successful than us; despite all of this, we are level with North in our victory head to heads - 76 each of 2.
Even our respective greatest winning margins against each other is identical - 104 points.

So we are not just playing for the top 8 tomorrow night, we are playing for bragging rights - the lead in our head to heads!

I will never forget the game we had to win to avoid the wooden spoon in 1980 - Round 22 at Arden St, home of perennial Grand Finalist, North Melbourne.
Lindsay Fox told the team if we won he'd shout the team a trip to Hawaii.
In the last quarter the side were peppering the goals, and all the while the cheer squad behind the goals were chanting 'Hawaaaiiiiiiiieeee'. Fitzroy were playing Carlton at VFL park, and people who were listening to their transistor radios were giving us updates, as Fitzroy booted goal after goal in the last quarter in their attempt to dodge the wooden spoon.
They kicked 9 goals in the last quarter and lost by a few points.
We kicked a bag too, but too many points and drew.
The 'Roys got the wooden spoon.
The players didn't get their Hawaii holiday.

This is the side we played and defeated in a game in 1933 where we famously earned our shield - awarded to us in a ceremony at the St. Kilda Town Hall.
With only 15 fit players on the field, many of them severely injured, we emerged victorious in one of the club's most famous wins. We earned our most iconic emblem, our shield against this mob. Let's invoke the spirit of '33 and bring those bragging rights home.

Carna Sainters!
Love the passion! CARN SAINTS!!

George27
Club Player

I think we will all walk into the ground tomorrow with a spring in our step. We deserve to be there.

I remember the day in 1978 at Arden Street when we stole the game with a "goal" after the siren by Rob Elliott. I was up that end , behind the goals . The siren sounded and people ran onto the ground from everywhere. As far as I could see, his kick landed about 6-8 metres out. I lost sight of it in a sea of humanity. When I saw the goal umpire grab two flags I could not believe it. The ball must have somehow bounced through , but clearly Norf defenders had been impeded by the crowd. It was a complete mess , but the victory - sweet victory - stood.

It would not happen these days, so let's just pump 'em by 5 or 6 goals to make the footy world sit up and take notice !

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Great post ss. I remember I was playing in junior finals that day, resigned to the fact the saints would get flogged by the then mighty Roos. The threat of another spoon loomed large, even though the Roy's needed to upset the scum. Imagine my delight when I found out after my game that we'd drawn and stayed off the bottom. We won as well. A big night was had by all.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:I think we will all walk into the ground tomorrow with a spring in our step. We deserve to be there.

I remember the day in 1978 at Arden Street when we stole the game with a "goal" after the siren by Rob Elliott. I was up that end , behind the goals . The siren sounded and people ran onto the ground from everywhere. As far as I could see, his kick landed about 6-8 metres out. I lost sight of it in a sea of humanity. When I saw the goal umpire grab two flags I could not believe it. The ball must have somehow bounced through , but clearly Norf defenders had been impeded by the crowd. It was a complete mess , but the victory - sweet victory - stood.

It would not happen these days, so let's just pump 'em by 5 or 6 goals to make the footy world sit up and take notice !
Me too George. Remember that game very well. During the late 1970s and very early 80s we played in some close games against them. I always remember Arden St being a ground that we used to play well at.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.