Votes v Suns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

George27
Club Player

Re: Votes v Suns

5. Newnes
4. Hickey
3. Armo
2. Weller
1. Roo

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

5. Rocket Eade
4. Ritischelli
3. Prestia
2. Hall
1. Martin

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Membrey
Hickey
Weller
Savage
Lonie

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
avid
Club Player

Newnes
Riewoldt
Hickey
Weller
Gresham

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

83 Weller
69 Newnes
42 Hickey
28 Riewoldt
19 Gilbert
18 Gresham
14 Armitage
10.5 Membrey
9 Savage
6 Montagna
3 Dunstan
3 Roberton
3 Steven
1 Delaney
1 Lee
1 Lonie
0.5 Geary

Therefore:
5 Weller
4 Newnes
3 Hickey
2 Riewoldt
1 Gilbert

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
avid
Club Player

I know you've probably thought this through Sainter Dad, but can we really say that The Fireman's one word blurt "Gilbo" is actually an allocation of 5 votes, as opposed to 1 vote, or as opposed to a throw-away joke?
I bit hard on Gresham, who earned his 18 votes more credibly, along with his Rising Star nomination.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I know you've probably thought this through Sainter Dad, but can we really say that The Fireman's one word blurt "Gilbo" is actually an allocation of 5 votes, as opposed to 1 vote, or as opposed to a throw-away joke?
I bit hard on Gresham, who earned his 18 votes more credibly, along with his Rising Star nomination.
I know, I know

But in reality - who am I to try and understand what people are trying to do - everyone has a right to vote, and to do so in any way that they chose. If some numpties try and play funny buggers and stuff the system, then they get their 15 seconds in the sun.

The truth of it all is - The more people that vote, the less these outliers will have an effect on the result.

I can only call it as I see it

Unless it is blatantly obvious:
Impatient Sainter wrote: 5. Rocket Eade
4. Ritischelli
3. Prestia
2. Hall
1. Martin
I totally agree with you regarding the skewing of votes, and personally, if I voted, I would have given Gresh at least 2 votes, but I try and stay impartial.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
avid wrote:I know you've probably thought this through Sainter Dad, but can we really say that The Fireman's one word blurt "Gilbo" is actually an allocation of 5 votes, as opposed to 1 vote, or as opposed to a throw-away joke?
I know, I know

But in reality - who am I to try and understand what people are trying to do - everyone has a right to vote, and to do so in any way that they chose. If some numpties try and play funny buggers and stuff the system, then they get their 15 seconds in the sun.

The truth of it all is - The more people that vote, the less these outliers will have an effect on the result.

I can only call it as I see it

Unless it is blatantly obvious:
Impatient Sainter wrote: 5. Rocket Eade
4. Ritischelli
3. Prestia
2. Hall
1. Martin
I totally agree with you regarding the skewing of votes, and personally, if I voted, I would have given Gresh at least 2 votes, but I try and stay impartial.
Sainter_Dad ........ just a query, as I am a totally innumerate individual and really don't know how to work out the skewering of numbers for votes. My math ability totally runs out at simple addition & subtraction. %, fractions, call them what ever are another language I don't comprehend.

So last week I only voted for 3 players, as I felt they were the only players for practically 4 quarters that did not let up with their attitude and attack on the ball, against the odds. I did give them 5, 4 & 3 votes.

Now my query is, in only voting for 3 players, does that 'skew' the results of the voting outcome for the year?

If I again find in any matches I cannot find 5 players to give votes to, should I refrain from voting on that match?

Also, I notice occasionally that some posters give the same number or votes to two different players, eg. 1 vote to PlayerA 1 vote to Player B. Does that also 'skew' the voting at the end of the season?

Sorry if I have unintentionally, done any 'skewing' Sainter_Dad.

Loris

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Loris

As I said earlier, Feel free to vote anyway that you want. At the start of this little exercise, 8 1/2 years ago, I tried to be a stickler for 5,4,3,2,1 votes, but with the number of strange combinations, and personalised nick names, I quickly gave up and just accepted 15 points spread as the poster wanted, as long as they used names that I could interpret, and had a clear intention in their voting.
loris wrote:
If I again find in any matches I cannot find 5 players to give votes to, should I refrain from voting on that match? - Absolutely NOT - vote to your hearts content - your votes stop the skewing, because it helps to spread the distribution

Also, I notice occasionally that some posters give the same number or votes to two different players, eg. 1 vote to PlayerA 1 vote to Player B. Does that also 'skew' the voting at the end of the season? - The distribution of the votes is not so relevant, 4,4,3,3,1 if spread amongst the 5,4,3,2,1 will still allow for a big enough sample size the share the love.
Some people have done 1,2,3,4,5 rather than 5,4,3,2,1 and this caused some consternation, but usually the best on is a clear decision, so I can usually interpret what they mean.

The overriding thing is, usually, with enough votes, the skewing is minimised, it used to be less of an issue, as we had more traffic and therefore voters, but as Saintsational became more 'welded on' supporters, there will be weeks when there are only 20 sets of votes cast. In these instances, the skewing is more evident.

However.........

Vote to vote - can be some massive skewing (due to peoples view of the importance of varying acts etc)
Week to week - a lot less skewing (due to the number of votes absorbing the outliers)
Yearly - a lot less impact.
Sainter_Dad wrote: Our Winners of Saintsational Player of the Year:

2008: Nick Riewoldt
2009: Lenny Hayes
2010: Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard
2011: Nick Dal Santo
2012: Lenny Hayes
2013: Leigh Montagna
2014: Lenny Hayes
2015: Jack Steven
Looking back, I believe that We (the collective 'WE'), have usually got it right.

TLDR; Vote as you will, I can usually make sense of it, and I am not as anal in my older age as I used to be.

The worst scenario would be If I only got one voter for the week and they voted 'left of centre'

I just ask one thing - Don't argue about your votes in the voting thread, if you must argue, please don't quote a persons votes, or better still, start a new thread for your pontification

― Aristophanes