Ross and Webster's 50th game this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Ross and Webster's 50th game this week

Congrats and I hope both go on and play another 200+ games for the Saints.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross and Webster's 50th game this week

Well they say it takes 50 games to start really producing and these two are right on cue.

I thought Jimmy was excellent last week. He's quite fearless. As for Seb, he's having a terrific season and long may it continue.

BTW, I've seen it mentioned on here that Jimmy cleaned up a couple of Carlton players last round. I must have missed it. Could someone enlighten me?

Saint wagga
Club Player

Well done to both boys! Both future leaders of the club and along with Newnes, could be the 3 amigos of the 2011 draft crop that help bring home a flag!!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Just be nice if Jimmy could start hitting targets for a change. Give it a try Jimmy - see it that works better for you than running the ball out and then kicking to the opposition or just a patch of ground on the field. You won't know until you give it a go. Love Bluthy.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: BTW, I've seen it mentioned on here that Jimmy cleaned up a couple of Carlton players last round. I must have missed it. Could someone enlighten me?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote: BTW, I've seen it mentioned on here that Jimmy cleaned up a couple of Carlton players last round. I must have missed it. Could someone enlighten me?

:D Thanks for that. I see now why they are calling him the wrecking ball over on BigFooty

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:Just be nice if Jimmy could start hitting targets for a change. Give it a try Jimmy - see it that works better for you than running the ball out and then kicking to the opposition or just a patch of ground on the field. You won't know until you give it a go. Love Bluthy.
Is that a joke? His efficiency is 78%. That ranks him 6th at the club (of players who've played 3+ games) and way above the league average.

He'd be up with Savage and Montagna as the best kicks in our team.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I agree that his kicking is not great

It looks good, smooth action, low trajectory, penetrating... But often it's a big miss, or a really poor option. Jimmy is not the smartest footballer going around. He is like a smaller version of Gilbert, in that he's hard at the footy, he runs with the footy and takes players on with a side step and he kicks it hard and low (he's not as poor as Gilbo by foot though) he does however make poor decisions like Sam.

He's going to be an ok player, but his kicking is high risk, like Jack Steven... It's gonna hurt sometimes, particularly coming out of the backline.

Don't consider %efficiency as a good argument for kicking quality .... All defenders have a very high efficiency (even Geary) because by foot the take very safe options most of the time. Jason Blake was a very average kick and one year he had a 91% efficiency. Rarely will you kick to a contest in the backline

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
I could sit here and watch that all day. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Just be nice if Jimmy could start hitting targets for a change. Give it a try Jimmy - see it that works better for you than running the ball out and then kicking to the opposition or just a patch of ground on the field. You won't know until you give it a go. Love Bluthy.
Is that a joke? His efficiency is 78%. That ranks him 6th at the club (of players who've played 3+ games) and way above the league average.

He'd be up with Savage and Montagna as the best kicks in our team.
No, just another in a long line of posts from someone who really can't see the trees for the Forrest. Or gems from pebbles. :D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm flabbergasted that Webster is playing his 50th already. I remember Seb Ross playing his first game around 2012. Was it that game we narrowly lost to Collingwood?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bluthy, I am worried about you after reading many of your posts recently. More so now you reckon Jimmy is a crook kick. I think this is just another sign of a commited (perhaps, should be committed?) Saintsationalist who sees one negative and convinces themselves that is the norm.

So much so that, when I just screwed the top off a bottle of Shiraz (only to accompany some nice cheese, of course), I went back and topped up to well over the "enuff" line so I couldn't be accused of being a glass half empty-type of person.

So lighten up Bluthy! The Saints are on track, going all right and the youth is starting to shine through.

And well done Jimmy and Seb on your minor milestones. Both of you have made the grade and have big roles to play in the success of the StKilda Football Club over coming seasons.

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I agree that his kicking is not great

It looks good, smooth action, low trajectory, penetrating... But often it's a big miss, or a really poor option. Jimmy is not the smartest footballer going around. He is like a smaller version of Gilbert, in that he's hard at the footy, he runs with the footy and takes players on with a side step and he kicks it hard and low (he's not as poor as Gilbo by foot though) he does however make poor decisions like Sam.

He's going to be an ok player, but his kicking is high risk, like Jack Steven... It's gonna hurt sometimes, particularly coming out of the backline.

Don't consider %efficiency as a good argument for kicking quality .... All defenders have a very high efficiency (even Geary) because by foot the take very safe options most of the time. Jason Blake was a very average kick and one year he had a 91% efficiency. Rarely will you kick to a contest in the backline
Get out of my head BM! We are totally on the same page with Mr Webster. I still find him an enigma. His kicking is a bit like Schneiders - occasionally he'll do an amazing slicing laser pass and you go "we've got a ripper kicker here". But then he can't back up - he's very erratic. I was tearing my hair out in the blues games where he just couldn't hit targets up the field. I'm crossing my finger with games under his belt his decision making and execution under pressure will get better. He's going to face some stiff competition from the likes of White, Rice and Mckenzie in that mid sized running defender role.

supersaints
Club Player

Well done to the boys... Fifty games of AFL is a great achievement... It's a pity that the usual posters take the opportunity of a great milestone to knock you... Keyboard warriors, unfit to be called a Saints supporter that's all they are.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Milne
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

Get out of my head BM! We are totally on the same page with Mr Webster. I still find him an enigma. His kicking is a bit like Schneiders - occasionally he'll do an amazing slicing laser pass and you go "we've got a ripper kicker here". But then he can't back up - he's very erratic. I was tearing my hair out in the blues games where he just couldn't hit targets up the field. I'm crossing my finger with games under his belt his decision making and execution under pressure will get better. He's going to face some stiff competition from the likes of White, Rice and Mckenzie in that mid sized running defender role.
I think you're on your own with the Webster hate. One of our better kicks.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Well done Seb and Jimmy

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is it 'hate' when a critical observation is made

Or wait... Is it trolling???

If you want a mutual wankfest about how brilliant stk and all its players are... Go to Big Footy

Legendary
Club Player

Agree with this.

Love his hardness and willingness to take the game on (attack at the ball and the man) - but his kicking is far from perfect, although not the worst in the side.

Good footballer, still young and still has upside

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross will be the club's next captain. I am 100% convinced after tonight.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Seb Ross will be the club's next captain. I am 100% convinced after tonight.
There was a hint from the Club after the leadership camp this year. It was mentioned how Seb surprised them on a number of aspects in that camp - from previously being a player who was very reserved, however; at that camp he took events by the scruff of the neck and members in various teams just followed his ideas etc.

Obviously Jack Steven and Seb have started to push up in the leadership stakes this year. Very good to have a number of contenders.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Seb Ross will be the club's next captain. I am 100% convinced after tonight.
There was a hint from the Club after the leadership camp this year. It was mentioned how Seb surprised them on a number of aspects in that camp - from previously being a player who was very reserved, however; at that camp he took events by the scruff of the neck and members in various teams just followed his ideas etc.

Obviously Jack Steven and Seb have started to push up in the leadership stakes this year. Very good to have a number of contenders.
Channel 7 already love Seb as well. Seems like he has had media training. Very polished on and off field.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seb, like Newnes is a man of very few words, very dedicated and serious.

Like Harves, Lenny and other humble footballers he doesn't spruke, just goes about his business

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

We would be in very good hands if either Jack Newnes and / or Seb Ross became captain/s. Both intelligent and articulate and valuable contributors week in and week out now.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
George27
Club Player

Channel 7 already love Seb as well. Seems like he has had media training. Very polished on and off field.[/quote]

That might be the influence of Uncle Timmy.