Player by Player vs Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Player by Player vs Geelong

I was watching from Level 2. Even though the crowd number was low, it felt like it was higher. Great atmosphere at the game and about as much fun as I've had at the footy for a while. I would say it was our most gutsy win for a while. They could have run over us in the third but we fought back and converted that effort into score. Same thing again in the last. Really a very commendable performance.

Here are my observations on each player.

Acres - Had a pretty good game. Disposal wasn't great but he played with more intensity than I have been used to. Presented well and was active. I really liked when he marked on fifty and immediately turned and put it inside 50 to catch the defenders out of position.

Armitage - Had a pretty good crack at contests but his offensive impact with pretty minimal. He contributed.

Bruce - Worked as hard as he always does. His touch was a little bit off in that he dropped some grabs he would normally take but he gave everything he had for effort.

Delaney - Played very well. However you see the key defenders at the club it is important to have guys like Delaney to maintain pressure on the position and depth. Reads the ball well in the air and got to a better position than his opponent on a few occasions. Everyone should be pleased with his game.

Dunstan - Disposal wasn't good enough yesterday by foot but he still contributed enormously. His hands in close were good and there were a few occasions where he got his hands in the way to intercept a geelong handpass or where he just got his body in the right place ahead of time to stop their run and interrupt their ball movement. Played well inside but his outside work needs to be more tidy.

Geary - Excellent game. One on one defending was just brilliant.

Gilbert - Couldn't have played more Gilbertly. Some nice defensive work, a massive spoil on that last kick inside 50 of theirs and some absolutely horrendous disposal. That one that bounced over the top was comical, the lazy kick off one step into the corridor 40 from goal in the third that arguably started the cats and got them back in the game was shameful. Polarising as ever.

Gresham - Missed a sitter in the first but everything else was an A+. His pressure, right down to the way he stands on the mark, is so awesome. In the fourth I think he charged off the back of the square and burst through traffic to win the ball, stepped around dangerfield with ease, kicked a goal of the year nominee. His strength through the hips and thighs is impressive. An absolute beauty. I've not been so excited about a first year saint for a long time.

Hickey - Massive game. Worked very hard, excellent second and third efforts playing a role which is about as tough as any asked of a saints player last night. Another excellent performance.

McCartin - Presented well. His leading seemed better to me, especially the one where he got on the end of a pass from Gresham. But his goal kicking needs a lot of work. Everything else was good, the hands are excellent...getting better every game.

Membrey - Similar to Bruce in that he worked as hard as always but just seemed a little bit off with his touch.

Minchington - I'm a big fan of meatball. He sits above Sinclair and Lonie for me as a small forward. Kicked some very important goals and pressures really well. Very capable at a stoppage and was active in all the right areas.

Montagna - Good game from Joey. About his usual, consistent self. Solid contribution, some nice disposal, poise in defence.

Newnes - Great game from Newnes. All of his touches were good, especially the goals. The more we can get him the ball in space the better off we will be.

Riewoldt - A couple of terrible disposals but a super important link man who also put in some huge contests defending aerially. And his ground level pressure was excellent. Brilliant game.

Roberton - Played a very good game. His one on one defending was good when he had to but his composure and reading of the play were excellent. His disposal was a little dicey at times but overall he played a cracker.

Ross - Was our best in the first half quite clearly I thought and in the best for the whole game. Every touch he had, by hand or foot, in space or in a contest, was excellent. His inside work is bull-like and he has some nice touch when he gets the ball in space. Couldn't be much happier with his game.

Savage - Was off last night. Disposal was pretty poor and he couldn't get out and be damaging. Almost kicked a pearler.

Steven - As gutsy and hard working a player as we have had. Massive game...there were things he did last night - mainly breaking through traffic and starting some fast ball movement for us - that only he on our list can do. And his pressure was enormous. So active.

Webster - Quiet. Contributed. Lovely pass to hit up Acres.

Weller - Huge game. His first half was excellent and then in the third when it looked like they could have run all over us it was predominantly Weller who wouldn't allow it. One of his better games in a pretty bloody good season.

Wright - Great game. A couple of opportunistic goals which came from his ability to crack in harder, faster, lower and before anybody else at the contest. Love his pressure too. Hard as nails.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Re: Player by Player vs Geelong

Spot on with your assessment of each player. Great game, great win & for those who weren't there last night for whatever reason, you missed a ripper.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I was happy with Acres last quarter. Had a lot of touches when the heat was really on. A work in progress, but when he gets another 20 or 30 games into him ... look out

George27
Club Player

Excellent - and fair - analysis.

Paddy still needs to learn to present more. With that one you mentioned where Gresham passed to him, Paddy initially was not leading and was pointing to the right and Jade waited and waited, and virtually demanded that he lead to the left . Having said that, Paddy is coming along beautifully.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:I was happy with Acres last quarter. Had a lot of touches when the heat was really on. A work in progress, but when he gets another 20 or 30 games into him ... look out
Watched the last quarter replay when we got home - Acres was our busiest player in the last quarter. Proved a vital run and carry player in the dying minutes. Only a player confident in his own ability could perform that role.

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Terrific assessment. A joy to read. Pretty much agree 100%.

I would just add that spoil Webster did running back with the flight.

Great review.

An interesting stat they mentioned on tv last night. Dunstan has kicked 2.8 this season and his shot on goal last night missed everything. Something to work on.

Kate
Club Player

I was in awe of Wright. Clearly injured and feeling it, he still didn't shirk a single contest. Tough as it gets.

George27
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I was happy with Acres last quarter. Had a lot of touches when the heat was really on. A work in progress, but when he gets another 20 or 30 games into him ... look out
Watched the last quarter replay when we got home - Acres was our busiest player in the last quarter. Proved a vital run and carry player in the dying minutes. Only a player confident in his own ability could perform that role.
Agree. I watched the last quarter again after I got home last night ( too wired to sleep), and again today . At the game I had missed that he got it so many times near the end. He may not have used it perfectly, but he got in position and went after it. Good to see.

loris
Saintsational Legend

If Acres was a middle distance or distance swimmer or runner, he would be a 'negative splitter', in that he comes in faster in the second half of his events.
I have noticed Acres plays most of his better footy in the second half of games - when a bit of pace has dropped off to some extent. He seems to be able to weave his way through opponents more then and makes better decisions.

Dal Santo was a negative splitter and also was BJ - as the game went on their influence was greater IMHO. Ofcourse that is a generalisation on Dal & BJ, there were instances when they took the game on & influenced it early in matches. But mostly their skills didn't drop off in second halves like some players do as they tire.

Just a theory!!!!!!!! From a negative splitter, that hauls the opposition in during ocean swims, and during the few marathons I have run.!!!!!!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
If Acres was a middle distance or distance swimmer or runner, he would be a 'negative splitter', in that he comes in faster in the second half of his events.
I have noticed Acres plays most of his better footy in the second half of games - when a bit of pace has dropped off to some extent. He seems to be able to weave his way through opponents more then and makes better decisions.

Dal Santo was a negative splitter and also was BJ - as the game went on their influence was greater IMHO. Ofcourse that is a generalisation on Dal & BJ, there were instances when they took the game on & influenced it early in matches. But mostly their skills didn't drop off in second halves like some players do as they tire.

Just a theory!!!!!!!! From a negative splitter, that hauls the opposition in during ocean swims, and during the few marathons I have run.!!!!!!!!

Before I read this thread I had a chance to watch the replay again (second time round) and apart from the desperation and pressure the thing that stuck out was Acres ability to run and get into the right position to receive the footy in the last quarter

To the top
SS Life Member

Did you see his first half v Melbourne?

Mind you he was sucking in the big ones on the half time siren in that match!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote: If Acres was a middle distance or distance swimmer or runner, he would be a 'negative splitter', in that he comes in faster in the second half of his events.
I have noticed Acres plays most of his better footy in the second half of games - when a bit of pace has dropped off to some extent.
Though in some last quarters he has looked very tired.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Kate wrote:I was in awe of Wright. Clearly injured and feeling it, he still didn't shirk a single contest. Tough as it gets.
+1