Team defence was tight...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Team defence was tight...

Was super worried about norths talls, so many helped out...it started up the ground, loved it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team defence was tight...

Backline was excellent

Outside of Nick

The next best 6 were the defenders

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

They did damn well tonight. Geary was really good. Gilbo and Roo was a great support for them too. I'm still looking forward to a more attacking backline with Carlisle and Goddard to give those quick attack launches from the back that the best teams have. We struggle to work it out of the back against a good press.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Never thought I'd ever say it, but, Geary was excellent!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Never thought I'd ever say it, but, Geary was excellent!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:-)

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Almost Dunstan like.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Backline was superb today. North had over 70 inside 50's, so was a great effort. Gilbo had one howler, but overall his kicking and marking has improved out of sight. Almost 09 like.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Almost Dunstan like.
steady on. he was good but geez...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes the whole back 6 were excellent.

Savage is having a fantastic year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's fair to say, he's no star player, but I think most people don't really appreciate how much he puts in every week. Sure, his disposal can be a little average, but he's a tough player. Have a look at the amount of pressure he applies and the one percenters he affects. A number of supporters have been most unfair in making him a whipping boy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Yep. Backline was superb today. North had over 70 inside 50's, so was a great effort. Gilbo had one howler, but overall his kicking and marking has improved out of sight. Almost 09 like.
They had 60 I50 according to http://live-footy.foxsports.com.au/stat ... 0160140709
Saints had 50

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
carn_sainter
Club Player

I agree team defence was excellent. This is what I saw from level 3 last night. It is hard to pinpoint every player at stoppages at the other end of the ground but this is how I saw it.

On the whole, team defence was excellent. We lacked potency in the first quarter and struggled to move the ball, we dominated the second quarter but lacked potency and couldn't score, the third quarter was a repeat of the first and the last quarter it all clicked. We needed to win more contested ball and clearances to overcome the problems we had moving the ball the length of the ground and that started happening in the last.

All along the defence was great. We really stopped North playing how they wanted to play when they had the ball. A great effort, a real team effort. I don't like the way they play...just flood and then run back with the ball.

Overall we were robbed. Just like against Hawthorn, we deserved the 4 points as much as the opposition (more against Hawks), we weren't beaten, but we didn't get the reward. Stiff is an understatement.

Jarryn Geary - Excellent game. In the votes. Ran back with the flight into the pocket in an act of extreme guts and courage which typified his game. A very good one on one defender and stopper. No wonder the players put him in the leadership group.

Sean Dempster - Gun. Excellent game. If he ever gets to play on somebody his own size he will monster them. So good at reading cues up the ground and getting into good position or helping out other defenders, all of which he did last night.

Sam Gilbert - Richo said he was probably our best last night. In the style of gymnastics judging, I would say he gets an 11/10 for difficulty and an 8.5/10 for execution. His run, side step and tackling in traffic seems to be as good as ever too.

Shane Savage - Having a great season. Thought he and Montagna were our best at quarter time. His kicking is obviously lethal. There was one in the second quarter I think where he was charging off half back but rather than bomb it he nailed a short one to hit up Roo in the middle. Very well done. But he also wins his contests as a stopper.

Sam Fisher - Another great game. Everything said about Dempster above applies to Fisher. This guy deserves to be recognised as a great of our club. Mature age recruit who has been a consistent automatic selection since his debut and who has always played for the team in eras of success and hardship.

Leigh Montagna - Great game. It's so good for the team to have Joey in the backline for his composure, ability to receive the ball and execution. Played a full 4 quarter game.

Blake Acres - Was a bit quiet but he contested well. Definitely keeps his spot. I hope we are working on his overhead game and leading game. I expect it would take a long time top develop but if he can add overhead work, good leading ability and a tank over two or three preseasons he will be a beast. There was one contest in the third where he made a really poor decision and really poor execution but he then backed up, made a second effort and got us a score.

David Armitage - Another solid contribution.

Jack Newnes - Another solid contribution. His field kicking can be excellent and he plays a good mix of inside/outside every week.

Jack Billings - Such a gun. We haven't had as good a kick at his age since Goddard was drafted. He is as good a set shot as we have and his field kicking is excellent. Both sides, under pressure or with time. This season he needs to just hang out between 40 and 80 from our goal and do all of our entries. Played well last night.

Nick Riewoldt - Excellent game. The reason we didn't get blown away in the first and third quarters when we could barely move the ball at all. Another BOG. And that's nothing to worry about...people complaining that 'our best player is over 30' really annoy me. He's not just a thirty year old. He is Nick Riewoldt. A once in a generation player. The expectation that we could have a player his better is preposterous. Yes, that's possible but there aren't many at all.

Darren Minchington - I'm a fan of meatball and I think he keeps his spot. Sinclair said during the week that what he is working on is just finding more of the pill. This applies to Minchington and Lonie and Gresham too. Does a lot of things well but he needs to get the ball in his hands more.

Maverick Weller - Good effort. Played like a bull all game long very much in the style of Aaron Hamil 2003-2004, before he was out for two weeks. His stats aren't massive but if he can keep kicking one or two, leading, making space and getting round 15 touches whilst applying immense pressure he is doing his job. Was a bit goal hungry last night and sprayed a couple when a handball option was there...maybe it is good he takes the shot but he has to kick them in those situations.

Josh Bruce - They always talk about what it is to be a Saints Man and play Saints Footy. Josh Bruce is the answer. Another massive effort from him last night. Nobody works harder for his touches than Bruce and I am always pretty relaxed when he has the ball for a set shot.

Tim Membrey - Hit the scoreboard again and earned his spot. Nothing amazing from him but a solid contribution from a 10 game player who is asked to be a target. We really need him to present to the half backs.

Tom Hickey - Excellent game. He was really ripped off in the contest where he was pushed out of the marking contest, from which we were likely to score and then a minute later when he beat Goldstein hands down and got penalised for it. A really complete ruckman now, all of which he showed last night. Hit outs but also his presenting, contesting and marking around the ground is massive. Plus, his ball handling skills below his knees are better than those of players 10cm shorter than he is and his field kicking is neat and tidy. Massive season so far, commendable.

Luke Dunstan - Like th third against Collingwood, his fourth quarter was huge. Really turned the game for us...it takes the whole team to turn a game but if there was one who did it more than others it was Dunstan. Didn't execute for a full four quarters but the effort was there for the full four quarters.

Jack Steven - Held offensively but still ran as hard as any midfielder we've had since Harvey. He's so active and even though held offensively the tackles and pressure were still there as always.

Sebastian Ross - Another solid contribution.

Jade Gresham - Saw why we were so happy to draft him. A bonafide footballer. So quick and cat like in traffic. His agility and quickness to pick the ball up make space for himself in traffic and it is all very natural to him. Progressing nicely.

Jimmy Webster - I said on Thursday that he will probably get Waite for a bit and he did, showing how well rounded his game is becoming. A couple of very big tackles and pressure acts and his kicking was pretty good. Played well, a good half back.

Jack Lonie - Gets front and centre very well but needs to convert that positioning into touches and goals. He'll get there but I think Minchington, Sinclair and Gresham are all ahead of him. Quiet last night.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I gave him a vote.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

They've rijigged the forward line - pushed Rooey up the field to get Paddy in and took a risk on first yearers in Lonie and Sinclair. We've rijgged our midfield with the likes of Ross, Newnes, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham and Billings. And yet we haven't done much with our backline at all.

Fisher, Dempster, Geary, Gilbo. Geez its an old defence. They are have played a lot of footy together. You would expect them to be a tight unit who know each other backwards. But I don't think these guys will be part of our premiership team. So do they need to take more risks getting the next-gen backline players in there - Lee and Goddard. They need to start playing with each other and the rest of the young team in the seniors.

Is Richo being too conservative with the backline? There is a balance point of wanting to create a winning culture and needing to blood the next gen. They did it with the forward line, they did it with the midfield. Why are they not doing it with the backline? Could this bite us in the ass later.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:They've rijigged the forward line - pushed Rooey up the field to get Paddy in and took a risk on first yearers in Lonie and Sinclair. We've rijgged our midfield with the likes of Ross, Newnes, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham and Billings. And yet we haven't done much with our backline at all.

Fisher, Dempster, Geary, Gilbo. Geez its an old defence. They are have played a lot of footy together. You would expect them to be a tight unit who know each other backwards. But I don't think these guys will be part of our premiership team. So do they need to take more risks getting the next-gen backline players in there - Lee and Goddard. They need to start playing with each other and the rest of the young team in the seniors.

Is Richo being too conservative with the backline? There is a balance point of wanting to create a winning culture and needing to blood the next gen. They did it with the forward line, they did it with the midfield. Why are they not doing it with the backline? Could this bite us in the ass later.
You don't just drop players because they're over 30. If Dempster, Fisher Gilbert of geary were out of form Im sure they would lose their spot just like any other member of the team, but quite frankly they are playing very well and as such must stay in. The reason we have tried younger guys in the mids and forward is because we don't have any other options

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: You don't just drop players because they're over 30. If Dempster, Fisher Gilbert of geary were out of form Im sure they would lose their spot just like any other member of the team, but quite frankly they are playing very well and as such must stay in. The reason we have tried younger guys in the mids and forward is because we don't have any other options
So all that matters is how we play in the here and now? That is the Ross Lyon approach and look how well it turned out for us and Freo ie no flags. Lets not worry about playing the long game to win one of those horrible premiership cups that just clutter up our trophy cabinets. There are backline options - Lee is playing very good footy and looked good at AFL level in his two games. Goddard is playing very good footy - named as an emergency so he is certainly on the cusp - he played 8 games or so last year so is no rookie. Murdoch is playing very good football. The backline is Richo's comfy pair of socks he slips on too feel good and safe.

I mean jesus we moved one of the comps elite CHF's in Roo up the field just to give Paddy and Bruce some room to develop. That is going backwards to go forwards and its worked brillaint - bravo to Richo and the match committee. Lenny could easily have gone around another year but saw the benefit of the youngsters being played and needing to step up without him. That is the pure selflessness of Lenny and why he was a great.

Why can't Demps or Fish have a week off to try out Lee or Goddard? Those who think there will be some huge blowout without Dempster are living in lala land. Yes we might go backwards a bit, but so what? We are a development squad. Guys need to start getting chemistry together - that takes time and games. Playing a huge stack of guys all year on our backline who won't in our premiership side is very strange and conservative. They will do a job, a very good job as they are a tight unit. But it may not help us later down the track.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's back line unit doing a bonding exercise

barneyboyz
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:They've rijigged the forward line - pushed Rooey up the field to get Paddy in and took a risk on first yearers in Lonie and Sinclair. We've rijgged our midfield with the likes of Ross, Newnes, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham and Billings. And yet we haven't done much with our backline at all.

Lee and Goddard are spending lots of time bonding at Sandy, with 4-5 other blokes that could come in if needed also

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

They held Brown, Waite & Petrie to 5 goals & meantime Riewoldt, Bruce & Membrey kicked 9 with Roo not actually playing in the forward line for the 1st half.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:

Lee and Goddard are spending lots of time bonding at Sandy, with 4-5 other blokes that could come in if needed also
...plus Carlisle. I don't see a problem in instilling a winning culture in our young guys by putting the best defence on the park right now. I doubt the club will decide to push for a premiership in 2018 with a bunch of 20-30 gamers in the back 6.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

...plus Carlisle. I don't see a problem in instilling a winning culture in our young guys by putting the best defence on the park right now. I doubt the club will decide to push for a premiership in 2018 with a bunch of 20-30 gamers in the back 6.
We've won 2 games this year against basket case Collingwood and Demons who got ahead of themselves. So much for a winning culture. I'm glad we lost those close games as now Richo might put it back in his pants and forget about finals and realise he needs to keep going down the youth development path and that includes the backline. You can throw Monty in the old backs list as well with him playing that half-back play making role. Fish, Dempster, Gilbo, Geary and Montagna. :shock: Sweet jesus lets see if we can get Maxy back to finish that oldy list off.

Why couldn't Gilbert have a week off and Lee play? Then Dempster have a week off and Goddard play. Then Monty have a week off (or play midfield) and Murdoch gets a game. I bet they would love a week off to get away with their families and come back physically and mentally fresh. You've still got heaps of backline experience each week and you are blooding youth playing with them for support which is the best way to do it.

You've got to reward these guys slugging their guts out and putting in good performances and give them a taste of the show to know what they need to work towards. Goddard literally trained himself to collapse - you've got to reward that sort of effort. It might have set him back a bit but not too much - he is playing damn good footy now. Its easy to play down to the VFL level of footy. Giving a player a taste of AFL lets them realise the level they need to get to consistently.

GWS, Dogs, Hawks, Geelong are developing incredible rebounding defences. We're still using a very static cover defenders. Even Webster seems to be playing a mainly defensive role - he ended up on Waite quite a bit last week.

Watch how quick Gibson for the Hawks is to peel off his man once he realises its not coming to him. He sprints to get to the contest to be that extra man. That means Clarko doesn't need to play too many defenders and that lets them attack from the back a lot with good kicking. Fish, Demps and Geary all struggle to kick the ball well. We rely on our mids working it up the ground a lot now. Thats an exhausting way to do it. You need to get better rebound from your back 3 to take the pressure off.

All these teams have a younger list than us (games played):

13. St Kilda – 60.2
14. Gold Coast – 59.1
15. Western Bulldogs – 57.7
16. Melbourne – 57.5
17. Greater Western Sydney – 56.9
18. Brisbane Lions –

Not only that, we are playing ALL of our oldies - none are injured. Technically we should be ahead of the dogs and GWS. I think since Pelchen left Richo has been getting more conservative with his eyes lighting up at the thought of finals. Hopefully he will start to calm down a bit and realise we have a long way to go and need to look more at the future than just the here and now.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

It's a pity none of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Richo has really ramped up the development of several young mids and forwards with the handy anchor of a solid backline, and despite having only 2 wins on the board (we expected more?) it's working very well indeed. I don't think there's many here who would have him gut the team and reverse our form by throwing random players into our backline for no particular reason.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with Fisher having a rest and not traveling West. Surely be didn't sign him on this year to play 22 games and Goddard none. He should be playing this year so Goddard doesn't have to play 22 games. Not looking forward to the free kicks that will come out of this game. Remember last year against West Coast? Blatant cheats the umps over there.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:It's a pity none of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Richo has really ramped up the development of several young mids and forwards with the handy anchor of a solid backline, and despite having only 2 wins on the board (we expected more?) it's working very well indeed. I don't think there's many here who would have him gut the team and reverse our form by throwing random players into our backline for no particular reason.
I agree to a certain extent with Bluthy. We have rejigged the forward line and midfield but not the back line (although Joey going back there doesn't make the back line any younger).

We need to be blooding "some" (not all) new players down the back line who will be playing during our next finals campaigns and not the same old ones. We need to replace Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Geary & Joey in the near future and maybe we should be resting a few of them at a time to give others an opportunity to see if they will be hanging around after the year is finished.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!