Club restructure and cheersquad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Club restructure and cheersquad

It appears that the club is making fantastic strides towards a new look St Kilda with the women's team etc

My suggestion is that the cheersquad should have a couple of paid employees (maybe they do already, not sure)

To organise with volunteers something like this

You can see in this clip there are guys almost conducting the singing but the result is fantastic

I have absolutely nothing against the existing cheersquard , but as people have mentioned elsewhere

Where is the youth, how do they get into the squad, etc

It appears that nearly every club cheersquad looks way older than they did 30-40 years ago and unfortunately for the most part it shows

My other question is has the days of the huge banner gone, god know how much effort goes into making them , and these days the players hardly even break them there is like a entrance through the banner, so they certainly don't have the theatre that they once did

Maybe all that volunteer effort could be put into other new ideas

None of this is a criticism but everything should always be getting reviewed

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Club restructure and cheersquad

terry smith rules wrote:It appears that the club is making fantastic strides towards a new look St Kilda with the women's team etc

My suggestion is that the cheersquad should have a couple of paid employees (maybe they do already, not sure)
I think the idea of paid "cheer squad members" is worth pursuing
And I am think along the lines of a honey pot trap
Im not talking blue birds or swanettes leotard dancers - but what about some girls(and a few young guys) in stkilda jumpers that encourage other sainters close by to sit behind the goals to grow the numbers they could do a once a quarter express beer and meat pie run so you dont have to leave the area. A bag full of PR gear to give the "best" supporters
Think along the lines of pit lane girls crossed with a super box attendant. And they have to be able to handle a few wolf whistles and photo requests - so the aspiring actor/model types

I have been down to Metricon a few times and they fire tshirt bombs (compressed air canons) into the crowd - the elcheapo $5 bali kind would suffice, great fun and good PR
And not sure that it happens much anymore with saints players but how about a victory lap?

Seeya
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

A good old fashioned brass band powerfully blasting out the Saints song! Now that would be money well spent.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Legendary
Club Player

Love the brass band idea.

How about this for simplicity? The club offers free cheer squad & social club membership to St Kilda members aged between 18 and 25.

The CS might be a bit of a riot, but it would certainly lift the atmosphere...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Love the brass band idea.

How about this for simplicity? The club offers free cheer squad & social club membership to St Kilda members aged between 18 and 25.

The CS might be a bit of a riot, but it would certainly lift the atmosphere...
Nailed it. Simple and effective.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

meanwhile whilst they were singing that in a AFL game six goals are scored and there is no cheer for our boys

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

The Hawthorn cheersquad had someone playing the bongos in Tasmania, not sure if they do the same here. We need someone who can play the trumpet & blast our song out at every opportunity.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe someone playing the violin ?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm 71 and need NOBODY to motivate/lead me in barracking for my club! My take? Look not to what the cheer squad can do to lift the team, but look within YOURSELF! I'm more than happy to look silly and foolish at times in my efforts to "rev up" my fellow Sainters, because folks, if I cant be out there on the paddock with those players I can sure as heck do my bit in the outer! GO SAINTS! ( to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)