Carlisle ban?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle ban?

WinnersOnly wrote:I have absolutely no sympathy for the club (St Kilda), as it was an extremely poor decision to trade for Carlisle which has again been proven to be the case. Carlisle and Essendon are poison and always have been! 

The one positive out of this is it will give Goddard and Delaney the chance to further develop their games. 

Carlisles trade will cost our club for years with this years salary for zero games, the poor marketing outlook and the drafts picks we gave up for this clown. 

As far as our recruiting team are concerned they should publicly apologise to the membership for making such a quantum f-up....
What absolute tripe. St Kilda will not be paying him a salary for this year. NFW. This is Essendons issue, not St Kilda's. He was banned as an Essendon player not as a St Kilda player.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ripplug66
Club Player

Scollop wrote:This thread and every other thread you invade will be worse off if you continue attacking posters for their opinions

Just comment on the topic or f*** off

Wow. If someone acts like a sook then I will say so. You don't like it then put me on ignore. Now run away and don't attack me for my opinion. And where did I attack him anyway. Iasked questions which is more than you did in your post.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

loris wrote:Never wanted him. Said so right at the start. I'm not even concerned if he never plays a game for the Saints.

I hope Tom Lee will be able to step up this season, surprise the doubters and add something to our backline and Flakey Jakey is confined to the rubbish bin of poor recruiting made by the Saints.

Saints often make poor recruiting decisions and possibly will continue to do so........... just the modus operandi of Saints throughout its history. Get used to it folks!!!!
How true is that last paragraph Loris its just history repeating itself. The Saints are without doubt the 'premeirship holders' when it comes to the worst trades and list decisions makers of all time!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

loris wrote:Never wanted him. Said so right at the start. I'm not even concerned if he never plays a game for the Saints.

I hope Tom Lee will be able to step up this season, surprise the doubters and add something to our backline and Flakey Jakey is confined to the rubbish bin of poor recruiting made by the Saints.

Saints often make poor recruiting decisions and possibly will continue to do so........... just the modus operandi of Saints throughout its history. Get used to it folks!!!!
How true is that last paragraph Loris its just history repeating itself. The Saints are without doubt the 'premeirship holders' when it comes to the worst trades and list decisions makers of all time!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

People are entitled to their opinions, ripplug66. No-one likes to say I told you so - just to make the club suffer. How could this even happen?
Anyway, to the contrary, being a Saint supporter is in and of itself suffering the club, or so it seems.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 12 Jan 2016 12:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And right on cue:
Knock on the door and it's the postie with my sons' membership pack. The youngest one demanded to be able to put one of his St. Kilda 'tattoos' on, and as he did this I felt much better. Pretty funny seeing them eat lunch in the middle of summer wearing footy scarves and caps though.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I have absolutely no sympathy for the club (St Kilda), as it was an extremely poor decision to trade for Carlisle which has again been proven to be the case. Carlisle and Essendon are poison and always have been! 

The one positive out of this is it will give Goddard and Delaney the chance to further develop their games. 

Carlisles trade will cost our club for years with this years salary for zero games, the poor marketing outlook and the drafts picks we gave up for this clown. 

As far as our recruiting team are concerned they should publicly apologise to the membership for making such a quantum f-up....
What absolute tripe. St Kilda will not be paying him a salary for this year. NFW. This is Essendons issue, not St Kilda's. He was banned as an Essendon player not as a St Kilda player.
I didnt know we dont have to pay him which is great, but there is no other positives of bringing this clown the club!

ripplug66
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:

Yes you have made your point a few times even if somethings you said were emotive and untrue. Does it help to keep knocking them and finding posts that keep knocking them?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-01-1 ... -statement

St Kilda FC has received a copy of the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s decision regarding the 34 past and present Essendon players, which includes Jake Carlisle.

Jake is understandably devastated with the decision, and our priority is to provide him with ongoing welfare and support.

St Kilda is currently liaising with the AFL and the AFLPA to determine more detailed implications of this morning’s decision and will provide further updates as appropriate
What Jake needs to do now is to get the counselling he needs to be resilient enough to deal with this setback, repay our mighty club for the confidence they have shown him and for the sacrifice we made to sign him, steel his resolve and pay us back for becoming a 100 game player for the club from 2017, sticking it right up Essendon in the process and helping us to win our second premiership.

He is going to be an extremely wealthy young man and if he needs to get angry, the best revenge is success!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Ooh another positive. Without Carlisle we might tread water this year and end up with pick 5 at next years draft - easy come, easy go. Good times!

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Ooh another positive. Without Carlisle we might tread water this year and end up with pick 5 at next years draft - easy come, easy go. Good times!
I think you need a rest.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ffs
has he been like this for the last month or so?

ignore

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Im sorry but this is just nonsense Loris, every Victorian club would have tried to woo Carlisle, Hawthorn the most professional and successful club of the last 30 years had their coach door knock him in the USA as a last ditch attempt to recruit him. Every so called expert thought that even if the players were found guilty they would get a short ban if any at all.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Ooh another positive. Without Carlisle we might tread water this year and end up with pick 5 at next years draft - easy come, easy go. Good times!
I think you need a rest.
I think people should lower their expectations of what Carlisle achieves this year.

ripplug66
Club Player

matrix wrote:ffs

ignore

Yes fancy trying to support our club and the players. What was I thinking. How about the betting scenario? How did that go. Good idea to ignore me. I was looking at the positives.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Happy new year to you all

A development as momentous as this one has prompted me to pull on the jersey and come out of retirement to have a bit of a spray.

First of all, speaking as a fan of AFL in general rather than an obsessive about my own club, I have to say I'm absolutely delighted at what has occurred.

It demonstrates to those who run the game that they aren't exempt from normal standards of ethical behaviour, reasonableness, due process, etc. It was an attitude that was lacking at times in the Demetriou era: affecting most clubs to some extent and us in particular during 2005-06, when most objective observers formed the view that the AFL administration had it in for our club. Things already seem to be heaps better under McLachlan, although he needs to find a way of keeping his brother away from pretty weather forecasters!

It also shows the leaders of individual clubs exactly what can, and ought to, happen when they put the interests of their club ahead of those of the game as a whole. The intensity of feeling that AFL fans, and even club boards and administrations, have about their own club and its rivalry with others is one of the great things about our game, but this club-centredness cannot be allowed to escalate to the point at which it begins to jeopardise the game's long-term well-being. Essendon went past that point, and have been deservedly punished for doing so. The players also deserve what has happened: the Nuremberg defence is never appropriate in this sort of case. Because of the tribal nature of AFL, there is no effective way of punishing a club for its behaviour other than by undermining its on-field performance. Keeping the substance-enhanced players off the field is the best possible way to do that. Essendon and its fans are hurting big time, and will continue to do so, and that will make the club (and any club) think long and hard about trying on this sort of BS again.

And, regarding our decision to recruit Carlisle: it's far, far too early to call how that's going to turn out.

Perhaps, as the artist formally known as plugger66 suggests, we paid a little over the odds for him. In my mind, that's not so much a matter of the draft pick: he's a highly capable, relatively young player in a position critical to any future premiership success, and being without him for a year isn't going to change that. But we have also signed him to a pretty lucrative contract, and yet - like Andrew Lovett before him - he has to be seen as a considerable risk of not playing many games for us: especially now that he will have to spend a year being forcibly distanced from our playing group.

But it's a risk that our club took in full knowledge of what might happen. Although, I have to say that my impression was that there was at times pretty strong groupthink at the higher echelons of the AFL that the saga would never end up this way. And it's possible some of that complacency filtered down to our club's administrators, and even perhaps to our key rivals for Carlisle's services, Hawthorn. I hope that wasn't how it went, but I know the ways managers can sometimes think.

Over and out from me for now. I'm still looking forward to the forthcoming season. Catch you all then.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
I think you need a rest.
I think people should lower their expectations of what Carlisle achieves this year.

Now that I can 100% agree with. We should actually act like a really strong club and suspend him for an extra 20 weeks this year for him using cocaine and filming it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lovett and now this. We are the Bombers bunnies. They see us coming and think, 'Here come the suckers.'
Waiting for all the club apologists to tell us how smart the club is blah blah blah.
The club are morons. I am happy to have Jake and 1 year out doesn't worry me much at his young age - but we paid overs.
And people wonder why only have 1 flag in 120 years.
I am also willing to bet $ the rumour about Hawthorn wanting Jake was made up by the Bombers and that Dodoro leaked it the press. Bet on it.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:21pm, edited 3 times in total.

lefty
Club Player

I distinctly remember a heap of people on here wanting Carlisle, wouldn't be hard to resurrect that thread.

Truly and utterly pissed off at those who wanted him.

1. We pay way overs (why would you give up pick 5 ffs).
2. People on here ignored the ASADA like it was nothing to worry about.
3. People on here ignored his shady character.

Now we have gotten royally screwed.
Should have ONLY been a 2nd round pick, maximum, or he would of walked.

Not happy Jan.

Meh...
Last edited by lefty on Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
matrix wrote:ffs

ignore

Yes fancy trying to support our club and the players. What was I thinking. How about the betting scenario? How did that go. Good idea to ignore me. I was looking at the positives.
Hey Mr Grumpy's. I've got the rose-coloured glasses firmly attached and I'm seeing positives everywhere now. Jake won't be late for training again this year, amirite? And now he can focus on completing Fallout 4 which will boost his confidence. Go St Kilda!! Ra Ra Ra

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AFL just announced Saints can immediately upgrade a rookie for Carlisle.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Legendary
Club Player

I'm mystified at this thread.

We recruited Carlisle to play for us for 7 years, not for 12 months.

We went into this "eyes open", and everyone was aware of the possibility of suspension.

We paid a price for Carlisle that was close to equivalent of what other clubs had offered - indicating that we were close to his fair market value.

We did not pay dramatically over what other clubs were prepared to offer.

Carlisle will be 25 when he plays his first game with the Saints.

If Carlisle is All Australian CHB in 2018 and we finish top 4, is it a wasted trade? Of course not. And yet this outcome is still a very real possibility. So why write him off?

My information is that Carlisle's contract is for less than $500k per year, as it was reduced after the footage of his previous off-field indiscretions was released.

St Kilda is prevented from paying Carlisle for 2016, so the club won't be spending money on a player who has been suspended.

And jaxons is correct - Elshaug's ranked list (written and seen prior to the draft) had Gresham as the player we would have drafted with pick #5, not Parish.

Surely it's time to support Carlisle, given his potential upside and the investment we have made. If you read the posts in this thread, you would think the club has made an Andrew Lovett style decision. We are a long way from that!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I distinctly remember a heap of people on here wanting Carlisle, wouldn't be hard to resurrect that thread.

Truly and utterly pissed off at those who wanted him.

1. We pay way overs (why would you give up pick 5 ffs).
2. People on here ignored the ASADA like it was nothing to worry about.
3. People on here ignored his shady character.

Now we have gotten royally screwed.
Should have ONLY been a 2nd round pick, maximum, or he would of walked.

Not happy Jan.

Meh...
Lots wanted him for sure (me included) - the issue was always the price.
Many wanted him but thought we paid overs in the end.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMS
Club Player

PROS
Carlisle will be fresher for 2017+ and it will prolong his career. We will be realistically going for the flag 2019 onwards.
Won't have to pay Carlisle in a year we don't really need him.
Essendon are screwed. It will ruin them for 10 years. I hate essendon. sorry.
DRAFT 2016: We will have more money and will get better draft picks. In a strong draft from early reports.
Gives Coughlan/Payne a go in 2016. Test them right out.

CONS
Don't get to see Carlisle in Action in 2016
Will lose a couple of games in 2016 we may have won due to this.
MUST keep Carlisle in check over the year. That is going to be a task and a half. I believe in our leaders and staff these days.

All is not that bad guys.
Last edited by SMS on Tue 12 Jan 2016 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Go Holmsey- if the upgraded rookie

or maybe Josh gets the Lifeline

clubs affected allowed to upgrade a rookie to cover immediatly
AFL ‏@AFL
Other affected clubs - Melb, PAFC, WB, and St K - may immediately upgrade rookies to its list to replace suspended players.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107