2005 QF v 2009 PF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

2005 QF v 2009 PF

Which was the better finals win?

Bad management is bad management
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2005 QF v 2009 PF

2005 QF was one of the best wins of all time

Big underdog win, A vocal minority crowd, led by Great Sir Robert himself

Bowey Boy
Club Player

2005 by quite a stretch.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

For those of us St. Kilda barrackers over 40 I think that the 97 preliminary final is the best match we have ever seen. North, with Carey and McKernan, were the best side of the 1990s, and were the raging favourites in that match. It put us in a Grand Final for the first time in over a quarter of a century. North were THE Friday Night Side, and we played them on THEIR home turf and we beat them pointless. I think that's the key actually, we were far enough ahead in the last quarter to just kick back and enjoy the feeling that WE, the perennial underdog were going to the Big Dance!!!!!!!!!!!

1997 by the Bass Strait for mine.

PS - Love your avatar Bowey Boy - The Saint was my favourite TV show when I was a kid - after Shintaro (of course).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:For those of us St. Kilda barrackers over 40 I think that the 97 preliminary final is the best match we have ever seen. North, with Carey and McKernan, were the best side of the 1990s, and were the raging favourites in that match. It put us in a Grand Final for the first time in over a quarter of a century. North were THE Friday Night Side, and we played them on THEIR home turf and we beat them pointless. I think that's the key actually, we were far enough ahead in the last quarter to just kick back and enjoy the feeling that WE, the perennial underdog were going to the Big Dance!!!!!!!!!!!

1997 by the Bass Strait for mine.

PS - Love your avatar Bowey Boy - The Saint was my favourite TV show when I was a kid - after Shintaro (of course).
Thank you (lip sync goes all out of whack), most noble one.

I agree 1997 was ace. I seem to remember Mr McKernan left the ground early after a double body slam - most excellent. 1992 win against the filth was ace too - Timmy Pekin running out of defence along the back flank to a massive cheer cos the game was won. First finals win since 73 I think. Thought Devonport was going to be a champion then.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
ripplug66
Club Player

Anything that gets you into a GF has the others covered by a long way.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Both were excellent but 2009 win was more of a relief given our form during the year and that we were a better team.

2005 QF was out of the box so probably a better win.

Agree with Samuraisaint about 97 Prelim. It was the best win I have seen as a Saint supporter.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sMarty_saints
Club Player

Yeah '97 was the best and been there was even better, but also we were the complete underdogs and the tackle by Burke (and not sure who else) on McKernan was a game changer. I think I actually shed a tear because the Saints finally got into a grand final. I agree '09 was more of relief and '05 whilst a great game, I remember watching that on TV and it was one of those can't watch but had to watch games and it was a great win. I agree any win to get into a grand final is more satisfying....now if we can just go one step further!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Brett Cooke

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Both were excellent but 2009 win was more of a relief given our form during the year and that we were a better team.

2005 QF was out of the box so probably a better win.

Agree with Samuraisaint about 97 Prelim. It was the best win I have seen as a Saint supporter.
I agree with this. the 09 prelim was a struggle all night. But the realisation at the end that we were finally into a GF was an unforgettable feeling.
The 05 Qualifying Final win was pure jubilation, against all odds. I was absolutely gutted that I didn't have the courage to fly over and be there after watching live the disappointment of the 04 Prelim the year before.
The 2010 Qualifying Final is up there for me as well. Most expected it to be a pies v Cats GF in 2010 and we came out firing. Roo was back to vintage form after being injured all year, Milney was everywhere after the press saying during the week that he couldn't play in big finals at the G and Lenny was sensational. That bump on Chappy will forever live in my memory. The drama at the end just added to it with the Ling goal being disallowed because of Mooney pushing Gwilt in the back in the tackle.

The 97 Prelim wasn't as big a deal for me. Probably because that was my first year following the Saints after the demise of my beloved Roy boys. However I recall expecting the Saints to win. The Kangas had been carrying injuries and suspensions to key players and were no where near as formidable as the year before. We had finished on top of the ladder that year. I recall sitting with my best mate who had been influential in me becoming a sainter, and he was very emotional - a lot like I was in 09 I guess.

If I had to choose, I would say the best game live I've seen is 2010 Qualifying final. Any finals win is a bloody good night though..........

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
The 97 Prelim wasn't as big a deal for me. Probably because that was my first year following the Saints after the demise of my beloved Roy boys. However I recall expecting the Saints to win. The Kangas had been carrying injuries and suspensions to key players and were no where near as formidable as the year before. We had finished on top of the ladder that year. I recall sitting with my best mate who had been influential in me becoming a sainter, and he was very emotional - a lot like I was in 09 I guess.
I don't know why others are saying we were massive underdogs in this game. 8 wins in a row and finished on top. Had a week off. North had finished seventh. And we'd beaten them by 9 goals just a couple of months before. Schwass and Archer were both suspended. I know Everitt and Smith were out as well but I'd be very surprised if we weren't favourites.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
lewdogs
Club Player

05 was wonderful, but soured by the fact that we blew the prelim so badly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Moods wrote:
I don't know why others are saying we were massive underdogs in this game. 8 wins in a row and finished on top. Had a week off. North had finished seventh. And we'd beaten them by 9 goals just a couple of months before. Schwass and Archer were both suspended. I know Everitt and Smith were out as well but I'd be very surprised if we weren't favourites.
Without a doubt, we were massive underdogs...reigning premiers versus, well, St Kilda. We've seen our team produce AFL record breaking winning streaks and still no-one is convinced, this was absolutely the case in 1997 also. Unfortunately, the doubters were right again, as our PF against an extremely strong and battled hardened North was our GF. Barely even turned up the next week.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If the doubters were right, we should have lost the prelim.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ripplug66
Club Player

degruch wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Moods wrote:
Without a doubt, we were massive underdogs...reigning premiers versus, well, St Kilda. We've seen our team produce AFL record breaking winning streaks and still no-one is convinced, this was absolutely the case in 1997 also. Unfortunately, the doubters were right again, as our PF against an extremely strong and battled hardened North was our GF. Barely even turned up the next week.

I don't believe either statement is true. We were clear favourites and the next week we lead by 13 points at half time in the GF. I'm unsure how that isn't turning up. We were still only 10 points down at three quarter time.

#gosaintas
Club Player

That 97 GF loss was a shocker. Just stopped to a walk with 5 mins to go before half time. They were all over us at the end of the 2nd qtr and we didn't fire a shot in the second half. Just pathetic it was.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Well, gosaintas nailed my thoughts on the GF. :( Aside from a few flashes of brilliance early on we barely raised a canter, rolled by a team that was expected to beat by 30-odd points.

ripplug66
Club Player

degruch wrote:Well, gosaintas nailed my thoughts on the GF. :( Aside from a few flashes of brilliance early on we barely raised a canter, rolled by a team that was expected to beat by 30-odd points.

So leading a GF by more than 2 goals at HT isn't turning up? You must have been very disappointed in 2010 in the first GF?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

IN fairness, we did have our share of issues on and off the field as well. The form ruckman of the competition in Everitt was missing. Our aggressive intimidating back up in Vidovic was missing. Winmar's dad died during the week and he was a shadow of the player we all know he could be, and Loewey obviously had almost as big a tragedy the night before the game with his sister. They are 4 massive key players that were missing. Having said that Modra and Riccutto were both missing for the Crows, but not having a genuine ruckman for a GF is almost unheard of.

Having said all that - I reckon we all expected to take care of the Crows, who let's face it, were lucky to even be there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Well, gosaintas nailed my thoughts on the GF. :( Aside from a few flashes of brilliance early on we barely raised a canter, rolled by a team that was expected to beat by 30-odd points.
Adelaide were well coached but everyone except Stan could see what Blight was going to do. Stan coached a stinker and he had no plan B.

They killed us in the midfield and across half back. We relied too much on Harves who the Crows relentlessly targeted.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:

So leading a GF by more than 2 goals at HT isn't turning up? You must have been very disappointed in 2010 in the first GF?
Yes, and hell yes.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Adelaide were well coached but everyone except Stan could see what Blight was going to do. Stan coached a stinker and he had no plan B.

They killed us in the midfield and across half back. We relied too much on Harves who the Crows relentlessly targeted.
Agreed, but we also had little left in the tank from the week before IMO. In response to the OP, sadly, history shows we were a flash in the pan and North were a beast of a team that ended up with 2 premierships and a runner-up over a short period...the PF was a stunning win, the GF was another opportunity lost. But, it's all history.

ripplug66
Club Player

degruch wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Yes, and hell yes.
So to turn up in a GF you say you expect to win by 30 points and you are nearly half way there at HT isn't turning up? That truly makes no sense at all. As for the 2010 GF what do you call it when you are 20 points down at HT. Playing dead? Luckily you were to young to watch the only flag we won. We were a point down at HT. Obviously they didn't turn up.

We were beaten in 1997 because of injuries, poor coaching and some pre match stuff that most humans couldn't handle but not because we didn't turn up.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Yes, and hell yes.

We turned up but we were outcoached and had a poor second half.

Our key outs hurt us more and completely screwed up our structure which was a key advantage that surprised many teams during the season. It meant that the Crows had us covered.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

You guys are welcome to your opinions, I'll stick with general consensus. We certainly had the capabilities, what we lacked the killer instinct...just like 2010.