Ex Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Ex Saints

Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps in particular have seemed to thrive and produce thir best footy with new clubs. Any reason we couldn't get the same level out of them.

Is it just a case of being in a stronger team? Just happened to mature as players?

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ex Saints

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps in particular have seemed to thrive and produce thir best footy with new clubs. Any reason we couldn't get the same level out of them.

Is it just a case of being in a stronger team? Just happened to mature as players?
Chuck in Hutchings as well.

Mostly just mature bodies imo. Most people play their best footy between 23-28. Not all, but most.
Some kids have mature bodies younger (e.g Darling looked 25 when he was 19) but they are exceptions.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It's not all one way. Bruce, Roberton and a few others have looked better as Saints.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint-stu
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps in particular have seemed to thrive and produce thir best footy with new clubs. Any reason we couldn't get the same level out of them.

Mostly just mature bodies imo. Most people play their best footy between 23-28. Not all, but most.
Some kids have mature bodies younger (e.g Darling looked 25 when he was 19) but they are exceptions.
I agree with this. I can never understand why we expect players to be stars by age 21. Spencer White is an example where I think it may be a bit early to tell. But I guess the club knows something.

1ac46a38
Rosco
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:It's not all one way. Bruce, Roberton and a few others have looked better as Saints.
Beat me to it.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Why can't I remember Hutchings?

ripplug66
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Why can't I remember Hutchings?

Rookie. Didn't get a game and only lasted one season.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Why can't I remember Hutchings?
You don't go to any Sandy games!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

In the case of Tom Lynch... Well they played him. In the position he was suited to. And then when he played well, they played him again.
It was an interesting approach compared to the Lyon strategy.

With Hutchins, it was interesting. When they drafted him, they saw "potential". Then WC did something called "persevering". It means that if he wasn't perfect right away, they still tried to develop him instead of giving up right away.

With Cripps, i don't quite recall but i think he chose to leave.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I agree with this. I can never understand why we expect players to be stars by age 21. Spencer White is an example where I think it may be a bit early to tell. But I guess the club knows something.
The club does know plenty about him and Spencer has his problems, but most of them are psychological, from what my sources tell me. If he was able to get his head right, he has the natural footballing ability and athleticism to be a very good AFL player. He has the potential to be a major embarrassment to our club, if some other club has the courage to pick him up and persevere with him. Personally, I'd like to see the club redraft him with our last pick or rookie him, if he is available.

Being delisted may just be the jolt he needs to make him realise the opportunity he has let slip. A wake up call that may resurrect his career. He isn't the first, and won't be the last man to not make the grade because of attitude, lack of work ethic or desire to do all that's required at the top level. We all know, or played with guys who had the raw ability to make it. The demands of the modern game prove to be too much for many. Never has the saying, "90 % of sport is played above the neck", been more relevant.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:In the case of Tom Lynch... Well they played him. In the position he was suited to. And then when he played well, they played him again.

With Hutchins, it was interesting. When they drafted him, they saw "potential". Then WC did something called "persevering". It means that if he wasn't perfect right away, they still tried to develop him instead of giving up right away.

Correct.

Lynch wanted to leave as well. At least we have Membrey who plays a similar role. At this stage, Lynch is in front but Membrey has some potential.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint-stu
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The club does know plenty about him and Spencer has his problems, but most of them are psychological, from what my sources tell me. If he was able to get his head right, he has the natural footballing ability and athleticism to be a very good AFL player. He has the potential to be a major embarrassment to our club, if some other club has the courage to pick him up and persevere with him. Personally, I'd like to see the club redraft him with our last pick or rookie him, if he is available.

Being delisted may just be the jolt he needs to make him realise the opportunity he has let slip. A wake up call that may resurrect his career. He isn't the first, and won't be the last man to not make the grade because of attitude, lack of work ethic or desire to do all that's required at the top level. We all know, or played with guys who had the raw ability to make it. The demands of the modern game prove to be too much for many. Never has the saying, "90 % of sport is played above the neck", been more relevant.
I have heard similar about Spence but he's only 21 and a tall. Seems premature to be making a call. Rookie pick might be worthwhile if he's not already gone.

1ac46a38
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:In the case of Tom Lynch... Well they played him. In the position he was suited to. And then when he played well, they played him again.

Cripps ran home to mummy.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!