Our Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Coach

I don't have an issue with the players he selects.

Just reckon he selects 22 guys and then wonders where they'll play.

It's why we get Weller in the back pocket, Curren as a defensive forward, Chips as FB, Dempster playing on betts while Shenton subs.

It's his way.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't have an issue with the players he selects.

Just reckon he selects 22 guys and then wonders where they'll play.

It's why we get Weller in the back pocket, Curren as a defensive forward, Chips as FB, Dempster playing on betts while Shenton subs.

It's his way.

People whinge that we don't try players in different positions and now people think its strange that they are played in different positions. And im guessing they, as its more than one coach, pick players and know exactly why they have picked those players and know exactly where they want them to play. In D grade ammos we know, I would 100% sure our coaches know.

FQF
SS Life Member

Going onwards and upwards as the season progresses. That celebration speaks a thousand words.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think AR just needs to tighten up aspects his coaching, especially team defensive work off the ball through the midfield and around packs. The forwards improved their defensive work yesterday which is encouraging.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I loved his excitement when Joey kicked the winning goal, shows he really is passionate about the club winning!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

think he's doing a good job... we're moving forward players are improving... that's what you want to see.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

And the players are often saying in the media what a good coach he is. I don't think players would be so gushing unless they really thought it true. The biggest challenge a coach of a young team has is getting buy in from the playing group, and Richo seems to have achieved this.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I like him and the boys are playing for him. Too early to call on match day strategy as we are still developing players

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I was interested in Bomber Thompsons comments on the commentary, compared the young saints with the young geelong team he started with. He was super impressed with our cohesion and said that it looked like we had played together for years.
I also liked the comment that Richo is coaching the team to play how we want to play when we are ready for our run at the flag.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Doing a great job as are the media team
We had a fair team at the championships on the other side of the country spotting the talent as well as a few heading to the Gold Coast. And Plugger I'm not carrying the drinks!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Doing a great job as are the media team
We had a fair team at the championships on the other side of the country spotting the talent as well as a few heading to the Gold Coast. And Plugger I'm not carrying the drinks!

I think that may have been someone else. I think you are a volunteer of some kind. Good on you. I did that with the club for 14 years. It made me feel really good. Started with a GF and finished with a GF. Just no friggin flag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

That's pure gold mate, and thanks for the info.

Dont worry about Plugger. He is just envious of your cred around here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Yep of course I am. When I see all the people from this site at the footy they all laugh at me for being envious. Pure Gold? Even Tony wouldn't say that. He has written much better stuff. I think you need to up your bar.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yep of course I am. When I see all the people from this site at the footy they all laugh at me for being envious. Pure Gold? Even Tony wouldn't say that. He has written much better stuff. I think you need to up your bar.
Are you asking saynta to bar up? :oops:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

More gold. Of course you are envious of Tony plugger or why else would you try and rubbish him. And use two nicks to do it too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

More gold. Of course you are envious of Tony plugger or why else would you try and rubbish him. And use two nicks to do it too.

Yes of course I did because I wanted to hind my true feelings of Tony so I made up another name to make one post that I have made many other times. Im envious that he gets to see our great club most days. That I will admit but im not envious of what he knows. I had 14 years of all that stuff and in the end I didn't even bother talking footy. I could find out anything I wanted about the saints, within reason, with a phone call or by being at my local club after training tonight.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yes of course I did because I wanted to hind my true feelings of Tony so I made up another name to make one post that I have made many other times. Im envious that he gets to see our great club most days. That I will admit but im not envious of what he knows. I had 14 years of all that stuff and in the end I didn't even bother talking footy. I could find out anything I wanted about the saints, within reason, with a phone call or by being at my local club after training tonight.
Yes, we all know that you used to babysit young saints. I'm sure the club is forever indebted to you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Yes, we all know that you used to babysit young saints. I'm sure the club is forever indebted to you.

Well that is completely untrue but go with it if you like. My mate up the road did though and it was great to meet the young kids and watch them progress. He deserves credit, I certainly don't as you don't. I really wish you posted more over the years. I like your style.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Well that is completely untrue but go with it if you like. My mate up the road did though and it was great to meet the young kids and watch them progress. He deserves credit, I certainly don't as you don't. I really wish you posted more over the years. I like your style.
Glad to know.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

This is about our coach not you plugger, even though nearly every thread ends up about you.

Richo is a professional through and through. He is not a true Saints man, and nor should he be. he had no affiliation to the club before being offered the coaching job.

I am sure he is grateful that he was offered a senior coaching job, only 18 in the country in AFL, but he is a hired gun.

Let me stress though, that there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure he has a lot of affinity with the players and staff. he is growing this club from the ground up, along with Finnis and Summers and Trout and the rest of the team that, from the outside seems to be trying everything to get the club up and going, and in the most part succeeding.

Personally I don't want a coach that "loves the club" Thommo was one, James Hird is another, with the "favourite son" tag comes some pretty big risks as well. Richo's reaction was one of an excited coach for his players and the team as a whole, whom he probably felt had butchered a win. Great reaction, fantastic audio. Also telling was he was straight back to work within seconds. Professional.

The only true 'Saints people" are us, the fans, and some lifer players like Roo and Joey, and Jason Blake etc. The rest are employees, although employees like Richo are well worth having.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:This is about our coach not you plugger, even though nearly every thread ends up about you.

Richo is a professional through and through. He is not a true Saints man, and nor should he be. he had no affiliation to the club before being offered the coaching job.

I am sure he is grateful that he was offered a senior coaching job, only 18 in the country in AFL, but he is a hired gun.

Let me stress though, that there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure he has a lot of affinity with the players and staff. he is growing this club from the ground up, along with Finnis and Summers and Trout and the rest of the team that, from the outside seems to be trying everything to get the club up and going, and in the most part succeeding.

Personally I don't want a coach that "loves the club" Thommo was one, James Hird is another, with the "favourite son" tag comes some pretty big risks as well. Richo's reaction was one of an excited coach for his players and the team as a whole, whom he probably felt had butchered a win. Great reaction, fantastic audio. Also telling was he was straight back to work within seconds. Professional.

The only true 'Saints people" are us, the fans, and some lifer players like Roo and Joey, and Jason Blake etc. The rest are employees, although employees like Richo are well worth having.

Thanks BM. I take everything you say on board and then usually tip it overboard. My name was mentioned so I commented. I will do that if I am mentioned for no particular reason. Just like you here. I have said Richo is doing well but its to early to call.

I hope Richo ends up the best coach we have had and if he is here long enough that will mean he has probably done very well. Im not going to go overboard yet and say he is better than this coach or that coach but im not going to say anything negative either. lets just cool our jets and hope we have someone special.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:This is about our coach not you plugger, even though nearly every thread ends up about you.

I have to agree with you there.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think AR is doing a reasonably good job, but is still improving as a match day coach just like the inexperienced players are getting the feel of senior footy. If he can get into the players heads like Jeans did, then it will be the big turning point. AR has the technical creds, and now it's about getting the players to think along the same lines so they know what is expected almost automatically...I think it will happen but there's a lot of work to do yet.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah..what is the go with that ?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Listening to the in the box commentary and coaching, I couldn't be more impressed with Richo.

Calm, clear, encouraging and obviously loves the players.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-06-1 ... re-through

Nee!