Structure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Structure

Having to play Bruce in the ruck when Longer had a rest absolutely kills our structure.
At one point Bruce was in the ruck and Roo got the ball from a kick in from the back pocket and had nothing to kick too.

If we persist with this Roo has to be instructed to stay deep when Bruce plays ruck so we have a target.
In saying that. The idea of Bruce in the ruck was floated before he became a bonafide full forward, imagine the outrage if he goes down with a knee whist competing in the ruck.

Playing Hickey as a forward/ruck hasn't worked, what are our other options?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Structure

I assume that's why Membrey was selected. But we really do lack that forward/ruck option.

FQF
SS Life Member

The other problem is that Bruce is a really hopeless ruckman, it tires him out and his output goes down in every facet. It is not a sustainable model, but neither is Hickey at moment. Perhaps that's why Goddard played forward this week. It's probably also the reason why Pierce has been playing as a forward in the VFL. I think we're just trying out lots of options to see which works best.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:what are our other options?
Play two rucks and make it work. Problem is that Longer can't play forward. Hickey can a bit so he paying the price for being versatile. It's a tough one because I like what Billy brings to the team at the clearances. He won plenty of tap outs yesterday but Armo couldn't get near it and Steven was well held for parts of the game

gringo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The other problem is that Bruce is a really hopeless ruckman, it tires him out and his output goes down in every facet. It is not a sustainable model, but neither is Hickey at moment. Perhaps that's why Goddard played forward this week. It's probably also the reason why Pierce has been playing as a forward in the VFL. I think we're just trying out lots of options to see which works best.

I said that too at the game but them he managed to come in fresh and his tap downs to advantage were very handy. He was rucking when Steven broke from the middle with his long kick on goal. I think it has something to do with coming in fresh though. He was playing away from goal a lot yesterday. He was often along way from the forward line when the ball went in even when not rucking.