I'm torn...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm torn...

Despite this thread starting out with abuse and warnings, it has developed into one of the great debates and an interesting read. Essentially two ways of thinking and some slight variations on each theme. It actually has made me think in terms of what would be the best plan forward in my opinion if I was CEO and my discussions this with each key stakeholder.

Football Department Head

- go out an win as many games as you can
- a winning culture is crucial to player development
- it is even more crucial to our membership and sponsorship results

The Coach

- you are doing a really good job
- we can see the playing list
- you have my support and I really like the way you represent the club
- the Board seems to be very happy with onfield developments
- what resources do you need to develop this current list (and new players) further?
- start preparing game strategies for a mature and motivated playing list post Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna etc NOT for a win next week or the week after

List Management

- you are going to have to work harder and smarter than ever before
- this year we hope to end up with a draft pick ranging from 4 to 8 or even 9 ... anything lower than 4 will be disappointing BUT an opportunity too
- our first pick is not tradable UNLESS the player is too good to refuse ... and fits the 2018 window with at least 5 PEAK years and 150 games over 8 years a possibility
- our second pick may not be until the mid to late 20s - the second pick can be used in a trade situation that suits our age profile
- so what resources do you need to ensure we can get the best possible player/s available
- grab a free agent ONLY if you feel they add quality to the list and can do so for 5 years and 100 games - this should be true until 2017 at minimum
- stay loyal to our young group - keep anyone that wants to be here and deserves a spot - the reward will be in loyalty down the track - but make changes where essential
- keep experience around the club, so stagger the retirements of players as much as you can leaving enough experience on every line of the ground without being too old
- keep your eye on the 2018-2020 window with armitage, steven, geary, savage, ross, delaney, bruce, newnes, webster, wright, hickey peaking with a young support crew
- keep your other eye on the 2021 onward window with longer, acres, dunstan, billings, templeton, mccartin, goddard, mckenzie, sinclair, lonie etc at their peak
- keep adding elite talent to this young list with always retaining first round draft picks and using second round or third round to bring in YOUNG trade talent to fill roles
- for the 2017 season we can alter our Free Agent strategy to also look at free agents that can deliver 3 or 4 quality years to bolster the 2018 - 2020 premiership window

Commercial Operations

- commence negotiations with Nick and Catherine Riewoldt to become club embassadors on a 5 year contract after the completion of his playing career
- budget in a wider player academy for the future - we are going to leverage our ties with the SMJFL based at Moorabbin to develop the kids in our corridor
- find a social hub for the club in St Kilda that we can do in partnership with commercial partners that gives our supporters and sponsors a tie to the st kilda brand
- ensure this facility has at minimum web broadcast capability to ensure activity can be shared with non Melbourne based fan base
- engage all past players to become part of the club and culture and become an asset for live and recorded (online) fan experiences
- develop new coterie groups that target different levels of fan and break from traditions - e.g. create an Animal Enclosure area at Etihad (positioned near the social club)
- sponsorship needs to be elevated to find a long term elite club sponsor of a major national brand by selling the 2018 onward vision and this MUST commence NOW

As CEO, I would be going to the AFL and requesting

- an economical stadium deal once the AFL buys out the ownership of Etihad Stadium from the current owners (hopefully after the next broadcast rights deal)
- proper one off compensation from the AFL for helping them pay off Etihad Stadium in the Docklands with a one off grant (given equally to the Bulldogs and Kangaroos)
- our academy zone to be tied directly to the SMJFL areas so that we can work with them at our Moorabbin base to ensure the best possible development of local talent
- improved fixturing to ensure we can maximize attendance of families and our sponsorship capability - with a regular Saturday afternoon 2.10pm time slot
- a commitment from the AFL to help the NZ governement build a new AFL and Test sized stadium in Auckland by 2022
- a multi million dollar AFL NZ budget to make us AFL embassadors to NZ and help market the game and our club in NZ via extensive TV advertising and exposure
- in exchange for us playing 2 home games (against non victorian teams) and 3 AFL designated away games (against Victorian teams) at that Stadium per season

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very good thread that was over moderated early or under moderated in the middle. And mods have read it which makes it even more confusing.

The last 3 or 4 points by the way are fanciful and will never happen even if we live for another 50 years.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

there's a 'theory' about dinosaurs that goes a little like that Plug
:)

small at one end , much thicker in the middle and small again at the other
... mid 70's ish.

Edit : hours later
(coz i'm sick of seeing WindSister's name everywhere across the Boards)

Simon ,
can we have your opinions 'n thoughts
on why 'this thread' worked out as well as it did ,
for the length it did ,
... given , that it 'goes against the grain' of recent SS experiences.

Miss Ann Elks theory on the Dino , in fact ,
should my recollection from those days serve me well.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
citywest

BackFromUSA wrote:Despite this thread starting out with abuse and warnings, it has developed into one of the great debates and an interesting read. Essentially two ways of thinking and some slight variations on each theme. It actually has made me think in terms of what would be the best plan forward in my opinion if I was CEO and my discussions this with each key stakeholder.

Football Department Head

- go out an win as many games as you can
- a winning culture is crucial to player development
- it is even more crucial to our membership and sponsorship results

The Coach

- you are doing a really good job
- we can see the playing list
- you have my support and I really like the way you represent the club
- the Board seems to be very happy with onfield developments
- what resources do you need to develop this current list (and new players) further?
- start preparing game strategies for a mature and motivated playing list post Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna etc NOT for a win next week or the week after

List Management

- you are going to have to work harder and smarter than ever before
- this year we hope to end up with a draft pick ranging from 4 to 8 or even 9 ... anything lower than 4 will be disappointing BUT an opportunity too
- our first pick is not tradable UNLESS the player is too good to refuse ... and fits the 2018 window with at least 5 PEAK years and 150 games over 8 years a possibility
- our second pick may not be until the mid to late 20s - the second pick can be used in a trade situation that suits our age profile
- so what resources do you need to ensure we can get the best possible player/s available
- grab a free agent ONLY if you feel they add quality to the list and can do so for 5 years and 100 games - this should be true until 2017 at minimum
- stay loyal to our young group - keep anyone that wants to be here and deserves a spot - the reward will be in loyalty down the track - but make changes where essential
- keep experience around the club, so stagger the retirements of players as much as you can leaving enough experience on every line of the ground without being too old
- keep your eye on the 2018-2020 window with armitage, steven, geary, savage, ross, delaney, bruce, newnes, webster, wright, hickey peaking with a young support crew
- keep your other eye on the 2021 onward window with longer, acres, dunstan, billings, templeton, mccartin, goddard, mckenzie, sinclair, lonie etc at their peak
- keep adding elite talent to this young list with always retaining first round draft picks and using second round or third round to bring in YOUNG trade talent to fill roles
- for the 2017 season we can alter our Free Agent strategy to also look at free agents that can deliver 3 or 4 quality years to bolster the 2018 - 2020 premiership window

Commercial Operations

- commence negotiations with Nick and Catherine Riewoldt to become club embassadors on a 5 year contract after the completion of his playing career
- budget in a wider player academy for the future - we are going to leverage our ties with the SMJFL based at Moorabbin to develop the kids in our corridor
- find a social hub for the club in St Kilda that we can do in partnership with commercial partners that gives our supporters and sponsors a tie to the st kilda brand
- ensure this facility has at minimum web broadcast capability to ensure activity can be shared with non Melbourne based fan base
- engage all past players to become part of the club and culture and become an asset for live and recorded (online) fan experiences
- develop new coterie groups that target different levels of fan and break from traditions - e.g. create an Animal Enclosure area at Etihad (positioned near the social club)
- sponsorship needs to be elevated to find a long term elite club sponsor of a major national brand by selling the 2018 onward vision and this MUST commence NOW

As CEO, I would be going to the AFL and requesting

- an economical stadium deal once the AFL buys out the ownership of Etihad Stadium from the current owners (hopefully after the next broadcast rights deal)
- proper one off compensation from the AFL for helping them pay off Etihad Stadium in the Docklands with a one off grant (given equally to the Bulldogs and Kangaroos)
- our academy zone to be tied directly to the SMJFL areas so that we can work with them at our Moorabbin base to ensure the best possible development of local talent
- improved fixturing to ensure we can maximize attendance of families and our sponsorship capability - with a regular Saturday afternoon 2.10pm time slot
- a commitment from the AFL to help the NZ governement build a new AFL and Test sized stadium in Auckland by 2022
- a multi million dollar AFL NZ budget to make us AFL embassadors to NZ and help market the game and our club in NZ via extensive TV advertising and exposure
- in exchange for us playing 2 home games (against non victorian teams) and 3 AFL designated away games (against Victorian teams) at that Stadium per season

If Finnis could make those last 3 points a reality that would secure our club for the next 50 years. They key is Auckland and there massive population as compared to Wellington.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Some posters would appreciate our games at Wellington, because it sealed our wooden spoon last year, and this year the loss to the Blues means that we'll finish bottom three. Maybe a good thing in the scheme of things...
And I have always been for it too, especially as we stuffed up the Launceston experiment. As we improve we'll turn the results around, but it will take time. The $$$ alone mean that we must commit and make it a success.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Very good thread that was over moderated early or under moderated in the middle. And mods have read it which makes it even more confusing.

The last 3 or 4 points by the way are fanciful and will never happen even if we live for another 50 years.
Under moderated in the middle? Get real it was fine. It was finals like umpiring, letting the game go.

There's certainly a line but calling each other 'dumb' or 'idiots' should not draw moderation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Very good thread that was over moderated early or under moderated in the middle. And mods have read it which makes it even more confusing.

Under moderated in the middle? Get real it was fine. It was finals like umpiring, letting the game go.

There's certainly a line but calling each other 'dumb' or 'idiots' should not draw moderation.

Totally agree. What about suggesting someone was a moron or a person should piss off? Or telling someone you are an Essendon supporter. Wowee. And I did say or. I wasn't suggesting warnings in the middle.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

he did say ... 'or'

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Troll.

... u only spent 7k on our finals campaign.
You're not a real supporter.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm not torn. I hope we flog the Dees.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Me too.
50 points would be nice

We ain't going to finish 9th

Although
Stranger things have happened

citywest

matrix wrote:Me too.
50 points would be nice

Although
If we win today that will take us to 4 wins. That will leave us only 2 games behind the cats who are 9th. Touch wood, we have a healthy list at the moment so finishing 9th is not impossible. As I have said all along, this year and next should be all about getting games into as many youngsters as possible. Is this tanking, probably, however if we did somehow finish 9th this season I would be pissed off. Our first pick would be around 10 and our second pick would be around 30. With the imminent retirement of at least 5 great players this would be a disaster for our rebuild.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
50 points would be nice

Although
If we win today that will take us to 4 wins. That will leave us only 2 games behind the cats who are 9th. Touch wood, we have a healthy list at the moment so finishing 9th is not impossible. As I have said all along, this year and next should be all about getting games into as many youngsters as possible. Is this tanking, probably, however if we did somehow finish 9th this season I would be pissed off. Our first pick would be around 10 and our second pick would be around 30. With the imminent retirement of at least 5 great players this would be a disaster for our rebuild.

So you want to lose today? Lets just win and where we finish will take care of its self.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
50 points would be nice

Although

So you want to lose today? Lets just win and where we finish will take care of its self.
I would have to agree with you there.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I want high draft picks to take care of us.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

So Citywest is supporting the Dees today

After all he WANTS the Saints to lose another nine games this season.

Appalling stance for a supposed supporter.

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It' looks like they are tanking this quarter

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I want high draft picks to take care of us.

Wanting to lose to get higher draft picks is like wanting your wife to lose her job so that she will turn to prostitution so that you get more money.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Austinnn
Club Player

Yay for team spirit! Great win against Melbourne and Port Melbourne giving young players an idea of what's required.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Woo Hoo
... that was fun.
Go us.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:Woo Hoo
... that was fun.
Go us.

That's what it's all about. Doesn't have to be a grand final to feel on top of the world! :D

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beats a loss, any day of any year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm torn.

I think it was a hammy when I leapt up after Joey's goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"