Key Match ups v Dees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Key Match ups v Dees

[b]https://thebeardedbugle.wordpress.co ... -game/[/b]
"This Sunday marks a significant milestone for both the St.Kilda and Melbourne Football clubs - it’s the first time in a long time that anyone outside the supporters of each club actually have any interest in the clash."
Hogan v Bruce
Whilst they will be playing at opposite ends of the ground, both mirror the importance of the other at their respective clubs. Both Bruce and Hogan have exploded in 2015 and not only established themselves as their team’s go-to forward for the next 8+ years but more importantly they’ve instilled hope into supporters and that translates into bums on seats.
Bruce has relished his move forward at the Saints after playing as a defender at GWS. He’s slotted 28 goals for the season included three bags of 5+. He ranks fourth in the comp for contested marks and third for marks inside 50 and at just 23, he’s only going to get better.
Melbourne need to stop him if they are to win. But they also need to put some attention into that blonde bloke as well.
Hogan has been touted as Melbourne’s saviour since he was drafted. After back injuries ruined his 2014 season Hogan has lived up to the hype thus far in 2015 booting 17 goals and taken the seventh most contested marks. Whilst still raw, Hogan has the potential to tear a height challenged Saints backline apart. If Hugh Goddard does make his debut he will likely play on Hogan in what will be a taste test into the next 10 years.

Armitage v Jones

The two big bulls of the midfield will more than likely go head to head all day in what will be a gruelling affair. Armitage has taken his game to a new level this year, leading the competition is disposals and is top ten in both clearances and contested possessions. Jones needs to find a way to curb Armitage influence around the ball. He currently leads Melbourne in contested possessions and centre clearances, but his numbers are a fair way behind Armitage. If he can push forward and get on the scoreboard early it might be enough to make Armitage more accountable. Regardless, it’s going to be a bruising affair between the two.

Steven v Vince v Weller

When Armitage is at the coal face getting the contested ball, he’s more often than not getting it out to Jack Steven, the ying to his yang. Steven is second in the comp for uncontested possessions and inside 50’s and 6th in the league for possessions. He’s quick, he runs hard, he breaks the line and he’s more than likely going to find Bernie Vince in his jumper come the start of the game. With Dangerfield and Bontempelli as trophies on his bedside table already this year, Vince has shown he can not only stop the opposition’s best runners, but he can hurt you as well. This was no more evident than last week as he helped himself to 34 touches and two goals against the Pies.
How can the Saints protect Steven and stop Vince? It’s simple, they tag the tagger. Mav Weller returns from a one game suspension this week and has proven himself to be more than capable with run with jobs. It could be awkward to watch, Steven trying to run-away from Vince, Vince chasing him and Weller chasing him. It’s your traditional high school third-wheeling exhibition but both teams do need to stop or at least limit the other.

felix
Club Player

Re: Key Match ups v Dees

Howe ? He is tuff to match up on ...who can run with him ..Gilbert ?

Rosco
Club Player

Howe down back? Membrey?

saintjake
Club Player

felix wrote:Howe ? He is tuff to match up on ...who can run with him ..Gilbert ?
It depends if he plays forward or back!

But the one thing we seem to have an abundance of is medium defenders.

Gilbo, Roberton, Dempster, Webster could all go with him I feel.

saintjake
Club Player

Rosco wrote:Howe down back? Membrey?
The emergence of Bruce this year is such a godsend.
If Mcdonald goes to Bruce then Fitzpatrick goes to Riewoldt, and vice versa.

Dunn probably a better fit for Membrey body wise.
I personally always liked Howe more as a forward though

saintjake
Club Player

Who stops Garlett?
He's too quick for Geary!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Who stops Garlett?
He's too quick for Geary!

The midfield stop Garlett.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Geary will play on Garlett

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF Membrey plays, i hope hes the sub as he's the 22nd picked player IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

Excited for Goddard v Hogan to happen. Look very evenly matched on paper.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Delaney v Hogan
Dempster v Pederson
Geary v Garlett
Gilbert v Howe
Roberton v Watts

Weller v Jones

We really should win this. Extra day's break, only one injured player and we have them covered pretty well in defence. Garland has been playing well this year and is an fairly big loss for them. We just need to get our forward structure right. It will be interesting to see how they match up on Roo, Bruce and Membrey. Fitzpatrick would have been an ideal matchup for Hickey but I'm thinking they might trust him with the job on Roo and play McDonald on Bruce and Dunn on Membrey.

We will be a fairly experienced side this week. With Riewoldt, Montagna, Ray, Gilbert, Dempster, Geary and Armo in the side we have more veterans than a lot of teams at the moment. Throw in Steven, Weller, Roberton, Savage, Newnes and Delaney who are't exactly new to the caper and you realise that more than half of our side has a decent chunk of experience. No excuses

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

On league teams, they thought Vince would go to Armo, not the pace to keep up with Steven.

I'd actually put some pressure on Brayshaw, I have respect for this kid and his influence on games already.

Garland out is big IMHO, they don't have much experience out there as it is.

I don't think gears would have the pace for garlett, but happy for him to prove me wrong, confident if asked he will certainly do his best.

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I don't think gears would have the pace for garlett, but happy for him to prove me wrong, confident if asked he will certainly do his best.
Um, every player if asked to do a job should do their best. They should be dropped if they don't.

saintjake
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Garland out is big IMHO, they don't have much experience out there as it is.
I agree! Our biggest weakness is now our biggest strength.
Since the Grand Finals, our forward line was just Riewoldt, but with Bruce, Billings, Lonie and the Mids kicking goals our forward line is suddenly so dynamic, and I don't think Melbourne have the cattle to cover it.

The game will really be won in the middle.
Interestingly Demons and Saints are 9 and 10 in hitouts.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
I'd actually put some pressure on Brayshaw, I have respect for this kid and his influence on games already.
Agreed, seems to be the sort of player that gets involved in big plays, damaging and wins contests. Not the sort of guy who gets 20 touches and you didn't even notice him.
\ooks a pretty special player, and brilliant off either foot as well as tough. Paddy and Petracca will want to be pretty handy players.

SMS
Club Player

We will win.

Brayshaw will get knocked out by dunstan.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:We will win.

Brayshaw will get knocked out by dunstan.

Are you smoking something that you shouldn't?