Thank you Jonno Brown and happy to say Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Thank you Jonno Brown and happy to say Umpires

Thanks Jonno Brown for some of the best commentary I have heard this year. Unbiased supportive and all round great info being spoken about our players and the Lions. Wish we could have him commentating all our games.

For once a heap of support and positive remarks about our young players. even when we where 5 goals down 1st quart.

Umpires great to see didn't notice them at all today. was night and day to the last two weeks of rubbish.

Lonie what a pick up absolutely amazed with this kid. Like he's in his 4th senior year. smart thinks goal smarts courage. un bloody real. I have been hoping to see the minch come in but with Lonie playing this way. think Minch is really going to struggle.

still heaps of things to work on but overall very good game and the younger guys are now forming a team. Blake is also coming a long nicely.

Great win Saints!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thank you Jonno Brown and happy to say Umpires

Thought Brown was entertaining and fair.

Umpires were slightly better than last week but still poor overall ... this week it just favoured us more ... with some non decisions that could have hurt us big time.

Biggest issue IMHO is the umpire coaches ... they prime the umpires to look for certain free kicks and as such predetermine some decisions.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Thought Brown was entertaining and fair.

Umpires were slightly better than last week but still poor overall ... this week it just favoured us more ... with some non decisions that could have hurt us big time.

Biggest issue IMHO is the umpire coaches ... they prime the umpires to look for certain free kicks and as such predetermine some decisions.
hear you BFU, felt we had a fair chance today. but after last week any small improvement is night and day. Jonno Brown made the game very enjoyable. was worried at the start as he's mob where playing.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Umpires had little influence, which was great. John Brown spoke sense and I dont even think Dwayne belittled us once today. Good day all round.

JB's comments most refreshing when mob rule in the media says you just write the Saints off as a basket case. Russell is one of that mob but he must have taken on board Jono's comments in the second quarter. He is now saying the Saints are on the right track.

Saint supporter since '62
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Brownie comes across as a good bloke. Someone you could actually sit down and have a beer with, unlike most of the current AFL media heads these days.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see much of the game but from what I saw the umpires and Jonathan Brown were pretty hopeless.

Geary tackled without the ball. Play on. A lion pushes Roberton in the back and then rolls over his back. Play on. Weller put his hands right in the middle of a Lion's back. Play on and goal.

Brown saying Roo should hang around and help the kids. He wanted him to retire last week.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Griggsy
SS Life Member

To be fair he was stating the obvious last week, and that was Roo should make an informed decision by himself. Was a shitty way to do it however as he just put the media onto Roo. A phone call would have been a better choice.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:JB's comments most refreshing when mob rule in the media says you just write the Saints off as a basket case. Russell is one of that mob but he must have taken on board Jono's comments in the second quarter. He is now saying the Saints are on the right track.
Dwayne also said that whoever wins is still a good chance of making the finals.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Griggsy
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:JB's comments most refreshing when mob rule in the media says you just write the Saints off as a basket case. Russell is one of that mob but he must have taken on board Jono's comments in the second quarter. He is now saying the Saints are on the right track.
Dwayne also said that whoever wins is still a good chance of making the finals.
He also said both teams have evenly matched games in the next couple rounds...we play hawthorn next week.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The home crowd was going ballistic at the umps a fair bit and we did get away with a lot for some reason. A couple of high tackles by our guys were let go in the crucial last qtr. crowd went apeshite.

Actually I reckon there was more Sts fans there than Lions

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:JB's comments most refreshing when mob rule in the media says you just write the Saints off as a basket case.
That's not really the vibe I've been getting, most of them seem to accept that we have a bunch of good kids but that it'll take time for it all to come together.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Didn't the Brions have a sub activated in the first term? And another injury also early. Kills many a team.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:The home crowd was going ballistic at the umps a fair bit and we did get away with a lot for some reason. A couple of high tackles by our guys were let go in the crucial last qtr. crowd went apeshite.

I have a feeling we might have lodged a complaint with the AFL. We got the rub of the green for the first time this year.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

wow Gringo that's a massive win if so...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

Umpiring was in our favour.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very good umpiring. people who find fault today think Jennifer Hawkins looks ordinary. That's life though. No idea how you know that about the umpire coaching. Seems a real guess to me.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Umpiring was in our favour.
Well surely we were due. :D

FQF wrote:Umpiring was in our favour.
23 to 16 free kicks was in our favour.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:[

P66 said: ". No idea how you know that about the umpire coaching. Seems a real guess to me.
"

So who is guessing now?

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Very good umpiring. people who find fault today think Jennifer Hawkins looks ordinary. That's life though. No idea how you know that about the umpire coaching. Seems a real guess to me.
Nope. Not a guess that the umpires are coached.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-04/hayden-kennedy

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Trixilver
Club Player

In regards to Lonie,

I remember during the off season all the speculation about who we were going to take with pick #1, there was a highlights video for McCartin. I remember seeing Lonie dance around opponents and deliver it lace out to Paddy and thinking "gee, why don't we just take that kid for #1".

This was before I knew who he was.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
stevie wrote:The home crowd was going ballistic at the umps a fair bit and we did get away with a lot for some reason. A couple of high tackles by our guys were let go in the crucial last qtr. crowd went apeshite.

I have a feeling we might have lodged a complaint with the AFL. We got the rub of the green for the first time this year.
I really hope this is not the case. Apparently we were done over last week, but the Lions should not be punished because Foot is an incompetent fool and done us over last week.

Umpires have to be able to try an officiate each individual game, not be directed to "go easy" on a team. This just disenfranchises another teams supporters and erodes the integrity of the game in more supporters eyes.

No, the aim should be to improve the umpires not direct them.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Nope. Not a guess that the umpires are coached.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-04/hayden-kennedy

Of course they are. Who said they weren't.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[

P66 said: ". No idea how you know that about the umpire coaching. Seems a real guess to me.
"

So who is guessing now?

If someone makes a statement that is in the negative they need to prove it. if they don't then I will call it a guess. it isn't up to me to prove its a guess. If I say Richo doesn't train the guys properly then I need to prove that. If I don't then others can me im guessing or talking crap. They don't need to prove that.