Delaney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delaney

LondonSaint wrote:First of all.. most full-backs have bags kicked against them.. i'm sure Lockett has kicked 10 against Silvagni.. and many pundits thinks Silvagni played well in that game...

Now, in a bottom side team.. (yes, we were bottom last year), when we concede so many forward entries with little midfield pressure.. even kicking directly to
the opposition in midfield and defensive 50 (Geary, Billings), what chance does a fullback have? especially now the AFL has basically outlawed any body contact/wrestle in a marking contest..

So, a little over reaction here.. yes, Delaney is not a world beater or one of the best full backs in the league.. but he is a good player for us, as demonstrated last year.
He is not our problem.. our problem is we don't have pure mids (experienced or young) to win the ball, spread and deliver to the forward line accurately. Armo, Steven, Montagna, Dunstan, Weller 5, that's it.. and only Montagna, Armo are semi reliable kicks... we'll need 8 in a proper mid-field rotation...
Nicely put London.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
LondonSaint wrote:First of all.. most full-backs have bags kicked against them.. i'm sure Lockett has kicked 10 against Silvagni.. and many pundits thinks Silvagni played well in that game...

Now, in a bottom side team.. (yes, we were bottom last year), when we concede so many forward entries with little midfield pressure.. even kicking directly to
the opposition in midfield and defensive 50 (Geary, Billings), what chance does a fullback have? especially now the AFL has basically outlawed any body contact/wrestle in a marking contest..

So, a little over reaction here.. yes, Delaney is not a world beater or one of the best full backs in the league.. but he is a good player for us, as demonstrated last year.
He is not our problem.. our problem is we don't have pure mids (experienced or young) to win the ball, spread and deliver to the forward line accurately. Armo, Steven, Montagna, Dunstan, Weller 5, that's it.. and only Montagna, Armo are semi reliable kicks... we'll need 8 in a proper mid-field rotation...
Nicely put London.

Agree re fullbacks. I remember trying to point that out when Zac was getting bagged for having a few goals kicked on him. The people who wanted Hudgeton back forgot games like the one where Nietz kicked 8 goals or something on him. Defenders are only as good as the team defence starting from the other end of the ground back.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

LondonSaint wrote: He is not our problem.. our problem is we don't have pure mids (experienced or young) to win the ball, spread and deliver to the forward line accurately. Armo, Steven, Montagna, Dunstan, Weller 5, that's it.. and only Montagna, Armo are semi reliable kicks... we'll need 8 in a proper mid-field rotation...
I'm sick of this idea that we can't evaluate our backs (or forwards or rucks) because we don't have a top four midfield. Our midfield is developing just like all sections of our team. Even with the Hawks the ball will come down the back a lot. That's the to and fro of AFL. The best teams almost enjoy the ball coming in the backline because they are confident they can turn it over and make attacks when the oppo are out of position. So stop trying to deflect all criticism and evaluation of our backline by this constant whinging about the midfield. Its not as big an issue as everyone makes out. Our whole team needs a lot of development. This idea you have a great midfield and ONLY then can you make judgements about the rest is rubbish. Its not what they will be doing at the club I assure you. When our midfield starts holding their own we want to have done the work to make our backline a great rebounding force at the same time.

seano1
Club Player

noob wrote:What does this player offer to be ahead of Hugh Goddard who plays a similar position? Whenever I watch him he just seems lost and slow to react. Late in the last quarter he had a paddock to run forward to and just hand balled it sideways to virtually a 1 on 1 situation. He needs to evolve a attacking side of his game. Just spoiling shouldnt get you a afl game.

I believe Hugh G will take over from Fisher as his skill is supposed to be similar ...good fullbacks are like good full forwards very hard to find and to me the rules of the game favour the forward more than the backmen of the game.......

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
LondonSaint wrote: He is not our problem.. our problem is we don't have pure mids (experienced or young) to win the ball, spread and deliver to the forward line accurately. Armo, Steven, Montagna, Dunstan, Weller 5, that's it.. and only Montagna, Armo are semi reliable kicks... we'll need 8 in a proper mid-field rotation...
I'm sick of this idea that we can't evaluate our backs (or forwards or rucks) because we don't have a top four midfield. Our midfield is developing just like all sections of our team. Even with the Hawks the ball will come down the back a lot. That's the to and fro of AFL. The best teams almost enjoy the ball coming in the backline because they are confident they can turn it over and make attacks when the oppo are out of position. So stop trying to deflect all criticism and evaluation of our backline by this constant whinging about the midfield. Its not as big an issue as everyone makes out. Our whole team needs a lot of development. This idea you have a great midfield and ONLY then can you make judgements about the rest is rubbish. Its not what they will be doing at the club I assure you. When our midfield starts holding their own we want to have done the work to make our backline a great rebounding force at the same time.
I don't think anyone is stopping you but it's a bit like a dole bludger who whinges his Daewoo isn't a Ferrari. The team is in transition and there is going to be a lot of frustration. If every loss we try to find 4 players who are completely and totally the problem it's going to be a long rebuild.

spert
Saintsational Legend

In my days of playing, it was definitely a lot easier playing down back when you had a good midfield than a losing midfield. I wouldn't be too harsh on Delaney. The midfield needs to play deeper in the forward and back half, but that's a coaching thing

stkfc1
Club Player

Was outstanding yesterday. Played really smart against a bigger opponent. Best game for the club. He even took the game on a few times!

stkfc1
Club Player

Was outstanding yesterday. Played really smart against a bigger opponent. Best game for the club. He even took the game on a few times!

stkfc1
Club Player

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:Was outstanding yesterday. Played really smart against a bigger opponent. Best game for the club. He even took the game on a few times!
yep bounced back well after an indifferent fortnight

Nee!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Had him in my votes,best game he has played for us

FQF
SS Life Member

Excellent game, aside for one offensive blunder when he forgot which way we were going.

I don't believe his skills are terrible, for him I think it's just a confidence thing. At the moment, he clearly has no confidence whatsoever to kick or handball to a slightly risky option.

He has strength and good defensive capabilities against big forwards. He will play an important role in our 22 for the next few years at least.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I like Luke Delaney. I think he will become a permanent fixture in our best twenty two.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Excellent game, aside for one offensive blunder when he forgot which way we were going.

I don't believe his skills are terrible, for him I think it's just a confidence thing. At the moment, he clearly has no confidence whatsoever to kick or handball to a slightly risky option.

He has strength and good defensive capabilities against big forwards. He will play an important role in our 22 for the next few years at least.
Gerry was the idiot who shat himself and kicked the ball backwards towards Essendons goal. Nearly cost us. I hope it gets pointed our to him this week.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
FQF
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
FQF wrote:Excellent game, aside for one offensive blunder when he forgot which way we were going.

Gerry was the idiot who shat himself and kicked the ball backwards towards Essendons goal. Nearly cost us. I hope it gets pointed our to him this week.
Geary did it as well.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I like Luke Delaney. I think he will become a permanent fixture in our best twenty two.
+ 1

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...