Hate blaming Umpires but ........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hate blaming Umpires but ........

FQF wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:One of their players blatantly whacked the ball over the line near the point post but that was OK.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't deliberate have to be a disposal and whacking/paddling the ball is not a disposal?

No not at all. As long as the umpire thinks you deliberately did it, it can happen any way. Umps were fine last night. Like every week they make errors but had no influence on the result.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:One of their players blatantly whacked the ball over the line near the point post but that was OK.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't deliberate have to be a disposal and whacking/paddling the ball is not a disposal?

No not at all. As long as the umpire thinks you deliberately did it, it can happen any way. Umps were fine last night. Like every week they make errors but had no influence on the result.
Cheers

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:Just in the interest of being fair - I still think that there were significant issues last night, on both sides, from the umpires. The thing that really stands out is again the free kick count. We were slaughtering the Suns in all aspects of the game. Hardness, toughness and skill (in most respects), however still the free kick was still in their favour 19 - 17 (and three of those to us were 50 mtr frees). At half time they were 10 - 10. The Suns comeback seemed to be fuelled by a few dodgy decisions and non decisions.
I didn't notice the umpires last night, either way. And that was watching it on TV where usually the mistakes are more obvious.

There's no reason the free kick count has to be perfectly even or aligned with who's playing better. Sydney lost the free kick count 14 to 21 last night and they won by more than double on the scoreboard.

Last week the umpiring was poor, this week I'd say it was fine.
Agree, barely noticed them also

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring was great.

We got 3 50's one which was a double 50!

If you asked a Sun's fan though they would say it was terrible.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Thought the umps were pretty good. They seem to be letting defenders spoil more and not have to worry about interfering like past tIggy touchwood rubbish. Though Chips got away with a fair bit of handling on Lynch in the last when the Suns were challenging. The Shenton was crap. I was at the other end of the ground but it was clear that he was tapping the ball so it would bounce right. He may have 'meant' for it to go out but it wasn't that blatant. The holding the ball new interpretations are working well and will continue as long as both sides get the same chance. Overall the umpiring is miles better than last year but that wouldn't be too hard as they were shocking then

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I thought the Shenton one was there if you want to apply the deliberate rule very strictly but if you apply it that way all the time there should be 10-20 every week and there's not.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
resaintlee
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
On the plus side, it was great to see a free given to Riewoldt after Ablett just blatantly pushed him into the marking contest. I loved seeing the little weed yelling at the umpire. I cant lip read well, but it looked like he was saying "I am Gary Ablett, I can push whoever I like, there is nothing you can do about it."
When Roo came off second best when he and Ablett went down together (in what I think was a Roo tackle) Ablett patted Roo on the back several times and looked to be asking if he was okay.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I thought the Shenton one was there if you want to apply the deliberate rule very strictly but if you apply it that way all the time there should be 10-20 every week and there's not.
They cynically missed one that wasn't that much afterwards. Just silly. It was really lotto type stuff last night some paid some not, some strange heavy handed stuff some let the game roll. Just shabby. The better games get better officials obviously.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Speaking generally, I watched a bit of Geelong v Freo, and if you want to see umpires umpiring to the home ground crowd have a look..I don't think Freo will ever have any cause to complain about umpiring ever again! :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Speaking generally, I watched a bit of Geelong v Freo, and if you want to see umpires umpiring to the home ground crowd have a look..I don't think Freo will ever have any cause to complain about umpiring ever again! :D

Im a bit confused by this post. Matter of fact I just don't get it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Speaking generally, I watched a bit of Geelong v Freo, and if you want to see umpires umpiring to the home ground crowd have a look..I don't think Freo will ever have any cause to complain about umpiring ever again! :D

Im a bit confused by this post. Matter of fact I just don't get it.
I'm with you there!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking spert mayb thought this game was in WA due to the odd matter of Geeelong wearing white shorts at their home ground?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Do I give a free kick to the pies for bumping this thread.? Omfg it's only half time, so angry.