Geary needs to have a big year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary needs to have a big year

dragit wrote:

It sounds like you are complaining more about our list & probably coaching than about geary who people appear to want dropped & delisted.
Today it is wet and cold outside in Melbourne. That is not a complaint, it is an observation of the actuality of the situation.

My posts on Geary are the same. I am not "complaining" at all. I like to use the forum to discuss what is, and not just what may be (though I do that as well).

Posters come of here and post in all sorts of ways. Some to vent, some as groupies, some to bait, some to discuss. I enjoy the anlaysing and discussing. Tis a lot more enjoyable when you are in GF contention, but why should I not still do so when we are cellar dwellers?

My assessment of our list is not a "complaint", but is an observation of the actuality of the situation.

My posts on any given game or player are also an observation of the actuality of the situation as I see it.

I have not called for Geary to be dropped or delisted, and indeed I have actually stated in this thread and others that he will play many more games for Saints.

The club is rebuilding at present, and in the process are going to have to have a lot of "make-dos". Successful teams have less "make-dos".

Every player has flaws, some more than others.

I think my earlier comparison of Geary to CJ and Blake is a good one. Both were more than handy players for the Saints. But both were not stars due to deficincies in their game and in all 3 cases ball use was a problem.

The OP was about Geary stepping up as the Saints need it...and we actually need a lot more than Geary to do so. With Geary the aspect of his game that needs to be improved is his ball use and decision making.

IMO saying but wow he had 24 disposls means little. The role he played was one where you would expect to get that or more. However the role he played is also meant to be one where he sets up the play, and in te game against GWS by that measure he failed.

That for this game, that there was no one else the selectors could have picked just means that the pragmatic decision and comment is that he stays in the 22.
I am sure though that the coaches wil be looking in future to try and get Webster or another into the backline to set up play, and to have Geary in a role better suited to his abilities...unless of course Geary steps up and improves.

And given opportunity some players do improve in various ways. ie Loewe with his kicking on goal. Roo with his banana kicking on goal that he suddenly last season rolled out after many seasons of not being able to master it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Can't find the link on my phone but Geary got four votes in the coach's award.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Can't find the link on my phone but Geary got four votes in the coach's award.
They must have no idea as the real judges have marked his game as a failure.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Can't find the link on my phone but Geary got four votes in the coach's award.
They must have no idea as the real judges have marked his game as a failure.

The coaches are biased, they base their assumptions on Geary's actions in the game instead of a general impression built up over years. They just don't put the effort into finding fault like the real judges of these things. I say look at the man's ears and see if you still trust him. Tiny ears freak. Compared to Hird who could flap his and lift himself over an opponent he just doesn't rate. He looks like he cuts his own hair too. Until he gets more metro he should be sent to the Sandy dev squad that way he will have more time to put into his appearance. I'm actually starting to get sick of all the players. We should start a new trend where we just field fat old forum trolls who get a spot based on the obvious expertise they possess from what they post.

spert
Saintsational Legend

ALL our more experienced players need a big season, not just Geary- all too inconsistent last season for experienced guys and now really need to lead by example on a consistent basis.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:ALL our more experienced players need a big season, not just Geary- all too inconsistent last season for experienced guys and now really need to lead by example on a consistent basis.

This.

Last year we only had a few of our experienced players that had the type of year you would expect.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 08 Apr 2015 2:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In this Hawks team who would Geary be picked in front of?

HAWTHORN

FOLLOWERS
7 Ben McEvoy
15 Luke Hodge
3 Jordan Lewis

FB 9 Shaun Burgoyne 12 James Frawley 17 Brian Lake

HB 4 Matthew Suckling 6 Josh Gibson 24 Ben Stratton

C 16 Isaac Smith 5 Sam Mitchell 10 Bradley Hill

HF 22 Luke Breust 19 Jack Gunston 33 Cyril Rioli

FF 28 Paul Puopolo 2 Jarryd Roughead 18 Jonathon Ceglar

INTERCHANGE
8 Taylor Duryea
26 Liam Shiels
29 Will Langford

Or to ask the question in a different way. Hypothetically, if Geary was on the Hawk's list ,what does Geary need to improve to be selected in the team above?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There aren't many players on our list who would get a game for Hawthorn. Steven, Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna and Armitage are the only saints who could be regulars at Hawthorn. Not sure I see the point of your argument SRR. Right now Geary is a solid experienced player who will help keep us competitive and provide great leadership to the kids. He won't be part of our next push for the flag, but right now he's comfortably in our best 18.

Saint wagga
Club Player

If Geary can play a good consistent year, we will be a better, more competitive team...I'd be hard pressed to be talked out of that opinion. Guys like Wright, Webster, Shenton, roberton...they'd have to improve in consistency, running power and versatility a fair bit for me to select them ahead of Gears this season...as others have mentioned, the sooner someone like Gears is struggling to be in our best 22, we will have improved as a team...a lot!! IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:There aren't many players on our list who would get a game for Hawthorn. Steven, Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna and Armitage are the only saints who could be regulars at Hawthorn. Not sure I see the point of your argument SRR. Right now Geary is a solid experienced player who will help keep us competitive and provide great leadership to the kids. He won't be part of our next push for the flag, but right now he's comfortably in our best 18.

I honestly think only Steven and Rooy would play for the Hawks so yes its a bit silly to say that. Also shows how far we have to go.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So for those that forgot...this was the OP
Bluthy wrote:Geary really needs to try and go up a cog this year and become a really damaging player. He one of our few players hitting their prime at the 100 game mark. He works hard defensively and is damn tough. But he needs to start be really damaging going the other way and setting up forwards. He gives some good run from the back but his disposal has lacked penetration and vision. He needs to be really proactive and driving the team now taking over from the likes of Fisher and Dempster.
I am yet to read anything which makes this inaccurate.

We all hope that Geary will become damaging. Round 1 he was not. Let's hope that in Rounds 2+ he can become so.....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So for those that forgot...this was the OP
Bluthy wrote:Geary really needs to try and go up a cog this year and become a really damaging player. He one of our few players hitting their prime at the 100 game mark. He works hard defensively and is damn tough. But he needs to start be really damaging going the other way and setting up forwards. He gives some good run from the back but his disposal has lacked penetration and vision. He needs to be really proactive and driving the team now taking over from the likes of Fisher and Dempster.

We all hope that Geary will become damaging. Round 1 he was not. Let's hope that in Rounds 2+ he can become so.....
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-07/c ... -round-one

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Ps. The man without a photo got second best in a losing side for WCE. Sometimes you just want BM back for an hour a week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Ps. The man without a photo got second best in a losing side for WCE. Sometimes you just want BM back for an hour a week.
He was going on over at big footy about how visionary he was because he had seen through the crapness that was Cripps. Jamie came out and kick 5 for him that day. Still trying to say Longer is a star and Hickey is a spud and Steven not any good at kicking. Apparently has already picked young Sinclair as a gun though so might be upping the positivity.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Sometimes you just want BM back for an hour a week.
Nah...
He's at BF if you are desperate.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As I said I am yet to read anything which makes the OP about Geary needing to be more damaging in setting up our forwards inaccurate So I do not know why you quoted the coaches votes, which already had been mentioned by others.

You do understand that both coaches have to vote using a set voting system no matter how good, or bad, the game or standard of play is?

That is the votes do not reflect the actual quality, but just who was relatively better.

I was at the game and both teams were poor IMO from a skills perspective. Saints got an Elephant Stamp for effort(and thr moat likely will be why Geary and Weller got votes), and GWS actually won becuase their skills and execution were better than ours.

Lower the standard enough and even I would eventually get a coaches vote :wink: Would not mean I was any good though.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
As I said I am yet to read anything which makes the OP about Geary needing to be more damaging in setting up our forwards inaccurate So I do not know why you quoted the coaches votes, which already had been mentioned by others.

You do understand that both coaches have to vote using a set voting system no matter how good, or bad, the game or standard of play is?

That is the votes do not reflect the actual quality, but just who was relatively better.

I was at the game and both teams were poor IMO from a skills perspective. Saints got an Elephant Stamp for effort(and thr moat likely will be why Geary and Weller got votes), and GWS actually won becuase their skills and execution were better than ours.

Lower the standard enough and even I would eventually get a coaches vote :wink: Would not mean I was any good though.
It's strange that a player would get votes from the people that coached the game when he has failed in his role as you have claimed. You do understand this as a counter-argument don't you?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't bother d....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

It's strange that a player would get votes from the people that coached the game when he has failed in his role as you have claimed. You do understand this as a counter-argument don't you?

You seem very black and white in your views....and also seem to want to imply that a player is a 100% failure if one aspect of his game is not up to scratch. Why so?

Again I will repeat what I have written earlier in this thread. Geary is very good at many parts of his game. Even outstanding at some. His use of the ball is below par though. I have also stated that I believe he will go on to play many more games for the Saints.

CJ was valued despite sometimes poor kicking, and I am sure regularly gained votes from coaches and others despite this. Why should Geary be any different?

This thread is about the need for Geary to be more damaging in his setting up of play for our forwards. Would you like to actually address the OP's question?

Raising the coaches votes is 100% irrelevant unless you actually know what the coach awarded them for, and if it was for setting up play well to our forwards in a damaging way. If you do not know, them it is just a meanigless observation in the context of the OP.

The coaches votes are relevant for mounting a case for him not to be dropped. But I have not indicated that he should be dropped and indeed have indicated that he should not be.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Dragit has become defensive about Geary because people have called for him to be delisted at the end of the year. Sometimes fans see thing differently than they are. Dawson, Raph, CJ, and Shenton now can make one mistake which has people jumping up and down making disrespectful and childish statements. It doesn't seem to matter when they have a game with very little mistakes backed up with statistics. The people who have already decided have their hands over their ears and won't acknowledge their positive elements. That's black and white. I don't think Geary needs to do too much more than play with intensity and help teach the kids to play with a zealous devotion to the game. He isn't a bad influence around a bunch of young kids. If he got his kicking perfect he would be a superstar.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:There aren't many players on our list who would get a game for Hawthorn. Steven, Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna and Armitage are the only saints who could be regulars at Hawthorn. Not sure I see the point of your argument SRR. Right now Geary is a solid experienced player who will help keep us competitive and provide great leadership to the kids. He won't be part of our next push for the flag, but right now he's comfortably in our best 18.

I honestly think only Steven and Rooy would play for the Hawks so yes its a bit silly to say that. Also shows how far we have to go.
I don't think a team like Hawthorn would pick Roo. They go pretty good without Franklin.
Roo is good with us, however i think the game has passed him to be able to cut it with the better clubs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't think a team like Hawthorn would pick Roo. They go pretty good without Franklin.
Roo is good with us, however i think the game has passed him to be able to cut it with the better clubs.

An AA forward in a bad side suggests he would do ok at the Hawks. Obviously they wouldn't pick him up because of age but on ability he would be in their best 18. Im sure they could slot him in their forward line. matters little though because its all just a silly discussion with no correct answer.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

An AA forward in a bad side suggests he would do ok at the Hawks. Obviously they wouldn't pick him up because of age but on ability he would be in their best 18. Im sure they could slot him in their forward line. matters little though because its all just a silly discussion with no correct answer.
True, but if you were picking a team hypothetically, i wouldn't put Roo in their forward line as they work as a team. Nick works as a lone wolf. I'm sure they wouldn't slot him in, regardless of age.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

True, but if you were picking a team hypothetically, i wouldn't put Roo in their forward line as they work as a team. Nick works as a lone wolf. I'm sure they wouldn't slot him in, regardless of age.

Well im sure they would so we agree to disagree. Reckon Roo worked OK with Kosi for years.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well im sure they would so we agree to disagree. Reckon Roo worked OK with Kosi for years.

Not sure they were the perfect match?

Don't see too many Hawthorn forwards smashing into each other so consistently.