Big Boy McEvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Big Boy McEvoy

Can't believe Mcevoy is playing so effectively up forward! He handly ever showed any attacking prowess for us, was far better as a defensive ruckman floating back into space and chopping off forward 50 entries - I seriously didn't think he had the attributes to be a ruck who can go forward...it should give us hope that with patience and optimism, our young, developing, did I say young rucks can also learn to be better up forward. Hopefully this coincides/adds to our improvement as a side.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

listered to the game dring down the coast.. cracker match... Big Boy by sounds of it did a lot of good things. seems to be coming on well at the hawks.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
FQF
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:Can't believe Mcevoy is playing so effectively up forward! He handly ever showed any attacking prowess for us, was far better as a defensive ruckman floating back into space and chopping off forward 50 entries - I seriously didn't think he had the attributes to be a ruck who can go forward...it should give us hope that with patience and optimism, our young, developing, did I say young rucks can also learn to be better up forward. Hopefully this coincides/adds to our improvement as a side.
Can't believe Hawthorn fits all its players under the salary cap.

wotever1
Club Player

Hey FQF so did the STORM

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Can't believe Mcevoy is playing so effectively up forward! He handly ever showed any attacking prowess for us, was far better as a defensive ruckman floating back into space and chopping off forward 50 entries - I seriously didn't think he had the attributes to be a ruck who can go forward...it should give us hope that with patience and optimism, our young, developing, did I say young rucks can also learn to be better up forward. Hopefully this coincides/adds to our improvement as a side.

Its called great management. Something we couldn't do when we were a chance.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Clearly great management but Hawthorn's list has significantly better players than ours did so it's truly astounding. The bottom 6 of our best 22 from that period would get SMASHED by Hawthorn's bottom 6, not to mention to players they have who can't make their 22.

Many of them must be getting far less than their market worth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Clearly great management but Hawthorn's list has significantly better players than ours did so it's truly astounding. The bottom 6 of our best 22 from that period would get SMASHED by Hawthorn's bottom 6, not to mention to players they have who can't make their 22.

Many of them must be getting far less than their market worth.

Winning flags is also a key. Players are renowned for taking pay cuts to stay together when you win flags. That doesn't happen when you don't quite get there. Also they got rid of Franklin which also must have helped. It would have been the same as us getting rid of Rooy when we were up the top. I certainly have no issues with their SC and have never heard anyone in the know suggest otherwise.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Many of them must be getting far less than their market worth.
And many of ours would be getting far over their market value...As we have to pay 95% of the cap.
Not sure we have a team worthy of a $9.5M payroll.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
And many of ours would be getting far over their market value...As we have to pay 95% of the cap.

Jack and Armo would be loving that rule. However cant they now pay a bit less as long as they make it up the next year. The problem is we couldn't make it up the next year at the moment.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Jack and Armo would be loving that rule. However cant they now pay a bit less as long as they make it up the next year. The problem is we couldn't make it up the next year at the moment.
Hopefully most of our contracts from the future fest, and especially Jack's, were heavily front loaded so that in a couple of years we will have an enormous warchest with which to raid the comp. Money talks.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

he wears pee and poo

loris
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:he wears pee and poo
And by his lean frame this season, he has been doing a fair bit of the latter :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:wink:
loris wrote:
The Fireman wrote:he wears pee and poo
And by his lean frame this season, he has been doing a fair bit of the latter :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

I posted about this a couple of years ago. A few years ago I coached Mark Evan's daughter in netball in a local comp out our way. (He's a ripper bloke actually) Anyway during the Presentation night, as you can imagine not a lot of guys around to talk to. It was the same night as the Freo/cats 1st semi final, Freo playing in their first final series under Ross Lyon. We were sitting together watching the game on his mobile phone and got talking about footy. He was remarkably candid with me about a lot of things to do with the Hawks. He disclosed that only two players at the hawks were on over $500k. One obviously being Buddy and the other being Hodge. He mentioned that Mitchell was very close, possibly just over. The point was, that guys like Lewis, Roughead Rioli etc were on b/w 300-400k. He claimed it simply couldn't work if they were all on big money, as the minnows coming through would simply leave. He then asked me what I thought BJ was worth (it was when BJ was looking at leaving, and eventually did leave) I told him I thought maybe $500k. He told me that he would love to have him at the hawks, and then told me what he believed he would get paid if he did got to the hawks. Lets just say the in his opinion the bombers were paying way over the odds.

Now I don't post this to big note, to embarrass Mark Evans, or to even ridicule the saints or the bombers. Just to show the difference a consistently successful club views good footballers but also how they view team success. Bottom line is, P66 is spot on with his comment imo.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

I posted about this a couple of years ago. A few years ago I coached Mark Evan's daughter in netball in a local comp out our way. (He's a ripper bloke actually) Anyway during the Presentation night, as you can imagine not a lot of guys around to talk to. It was the same night as the Freo/cats 1st semi final, Freo playing in their first final series under Ross Lyon. We were sitting together watching the game on his mobile phone and got talking about footy. He was remarkably candid with me about a lot of things to do with the Hawks. He disclosed that only two players at the hawks were on over $500k. One obviously being Buddy and the other being Hodge. He mentioned that Mitchell was very close, possibly just over. The point was, that guys like Lewis, Roughead Rioli etc were on b/w 300-400k. He claimed it simply couldn't work if they were all on big money, as the minnows coming through would simply leave. He then asked me what I thought BJ was worth (it was when BJ was looking at leaving, and eventually did leave) I told him I thought maybe $500k. He told me that he would love to have him at the hawks, and then told me what he believed he would get paid if he did got to the hawks. Lets just say the in his opinion the bombers were paying way over the odds.

Now I don't post this to big note, to embarrass Mark Evans, or to even ridicule the saints or the bombers. Just to show the difference a consistently successful club views good footballers but also how they view team success. Bottom line is, P66 is spot on with his comment imo.
Enlightening post Moods but with respect, P66"s comment is far from an epiphany as far as Saints fans are concerned. We have suffered poor management over the journey but then again so have other clubs.....we live in hope that we'll get it right. We need to learn from the clubs that have. If only we had the experts here on the forums putting their hands up at the AGM's , our prospects would be tenfold. ;)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Gee, I would be prepared to bet that the Hawks players would be far from impressed to learn that some loose lipped fool from their club was prepared to discuss with an opposition supporter, details of their finances and that said opposition supporter was
prepared to disclose said fool's mutterings to the whole world via an opposition teams supporters forum.

FQF
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Very interesting. The big question is, how did Hawthorn manage to retain all these players (aside for Buddy) when they were being significantly underpaid? Especially prior to their premierships in the last 2 years?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It was similar at Geelong. Nobody was one more than $600k a year until G Ablett jnr got a pay rise. And even that had to get the approval of the leadership group.
We went the other way of paying whatever it took to keep out 'stars' togetherand the rest of the list had to fight for what was left over.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Very interesting. The big question is, how did Hawthorn manage to retain all these players (aside for Buddy) when they were being significantly underpaid? Especially prior to their premierships in the last 2 years?

They won one in 2008. There would still be a few of those playing which again helps.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The key point is that all the top players agree to accept less in order to stay together. I remember Pelchan saying at one point that we needed to get the relativities (if there is such a word) of our salary cap in order because it was out of wack with how the other top clubs went about it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Gee, I would be prepared to bet that the Hawks players would be far from impressed to learn that some loose lipped fool from their club was prepared to discuss with an opposition supporter, details of their finances and that said opposition supporter was
prepared to disclose said fool's mutterings to the whole world via an opposition teams supporters forum.
Yes. You're right. All highly confidential stuff. Pretty sure no-one on here would have guessed that Buddy was on more than $500k. :roll: As someone else mentioned, interesting but not earth shattering stuff. It wasn't a case of him having the spread sheet out and we were going through their salaries. Most Sports journos comment on players salaries or know them anyway.

You need to stop being so sensitive. So I had a go at you on another thread. As I said on that thread to you. Grow up!