Re-setting the Foundations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re-setting the Foundations

As a supporter since the late 50s, enduring the constant highs and lows over the years and only being rewarded once in that lifetime (1966) with the ultimate victory, I can't recall a year where the Saints have offered so much hope as they have in the past few months.....collecting yet another wooden spoon has occurred far too often during this period.

Under the new club president I sense strong and positive leadership on the management side which is crucial to our club succeeding off-field, with excellent appointments starting with the CEO, and visionary forward planning - the move back to St Kilda in particular should pay big dividends in terms of corporate sponsorships and membership.

Last Thursday's NAB Draft is the icing on the cake. For months we had been hyped up in the media about Petracca, I for one was absolutely convinced that he was the one and only choice for our No.1 draft pick. Paddy McCartin's selection took a while to sink in, but the more I read about it the more this decision came to make sense - think of the old adage in football "Always select a good big man over a good small one". Paddy gives the impression that he is not going to be another Jack Watts - he is much bigger bodied and comes across as being in the mold of Jonathan Brown, someone who is going to intimidate his opponent and inspire those around him to attack the goals.

Hugh Goddard was likewise a great selection at pick 21 - how he wasn't picked up earlier is quite amazing. Daniel McKenzie (22) and Jack Lonie (41) are likewise excellent selections to fill positions in the top 22 that are up for grabs in 2015. Following is a quote from the AFL website:

AFL talent guru Kevin Sheehan has compared McCartin and Goddard to when Hawthorn recruited Jarryd Roughead and Lance Franklin a decade ago.

The same article mentions that membership for 2015 is already 2000 up on the same time last year.

The news from, and about, St Kilda is as good as what I can remember during an off-season - even Danny Frawley coming back to his home club is very good news.

Roll on season 2015!!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
howlinwolf
Club Player

Re: Re-setting the Foundations

Great first post Sanctorum !
I agree 100%.
The future looks very bright and our leadership looks like it has purpose.
Great selections and looks like we're building an excellent side of quality people.
The only slight downer was losing Luke Beveridge.
That would have been that one better.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Re-setting the Foundations

Let's hope BJ's cousin is a bit better than Cuz's cousin!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.