The Peta Affirmative Action Debate

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stephen Milne fined $15,000 with no conviction

Dave McNamara wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Rather than use an emoticon, let's give the argument some body. If Peta was such an outstanding candidate, answer me this. Why, over a period of many months did not a single AFL, VFL, VAFA, or suburban club offer her a position? It forced her from the game and back into teaching. Along comes St.Kilda, sees an opportunity to gain some positive publicity and hey presto, we have the first female coach in the history of the game. What a joke. Are we a charity, or a professional football club, intent on winning premierships? No wonder we are considered the Mr. Magoo of the competition.
Hi WW, my understanding was that she did have a secure and valued role for quite a few years at a VFL club... Port Melbourne. She was forced to leave coz the pay for the time commitment involved simply wasn't enough to support her kids as a single mum.

So she went back to teaching. She did however pick up a VAFA coaching gig (with Old Scotch I think it was?) under Daniel Harford, who claimed to be very sorry to lose her.

So my question remains, is she or isn't she a worthy member of the coaching team at AFL level? And why/why not, in people's opinion? Ta.
i don't many of us would be qualified to answer that question dave...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Rather than use an emoticon, let's give the argument some body. If Peta was such an outstanding candidate, answer me this. Why, over a period of many months did not a single AFL, VFL, VAFA, or suburban club offer her a position? It forced her from the game and back into teaching. Along comes St.Kilda, sees an opportunity to gain some positive publicity and hey presto, we have the first female coach in the history of the game. What a joke. Are we a charity, or a professional football club, intent on winning premierships? No wonder we are considered the Mr. Magoo of the competition.
Hi WW, my understanding was that she did have a secure and valued role for quite a few years at a VFL club... Port Melbourne. She was forced to leave coz the pay for the time commitment involved simply wasn't enough to support her kids as a single mum.

So she went back to teaching. She did however pick up a VAFA coaching gig (with Old Scotch I think it was?) under Daniel Harford, who claimed to be very sorry to lose her.

So my question remains, is she or isn't she a worthy member of the coaching team at AFL level? And why/why not, in people's opinion? Ta.

Ring up the club and ask to see her performance review.

They have to relsease it as per Section 6, Part IV of the club's Articles of association.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Who really cares how good she is at placing witches hats anyway. Assistant coaching has to be the most overrated role in football. Half the senior coaches out there aren't much better than village idiots - look at super coach Clarkson, can hardly string two words together. Then there was Sheedy, Pagan, Malthouse...the list goes on.

Seriously?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Who really cares how good she is at placing witches hats anyway. Assistant coaching has to be the most overrated role in football. Half the senior coaches out there aren't much better than village idiots - look at super coach Clarkson, can hardly string two words together. Then there was Sheedy, Pagan, Malthouse...the list goes on.
Yeah - that's why Clarkson is on close to a mill a year. Because he's a drip. Sure he doesn't speak with the Scotch College finishing school elocution that some might like to suit their own snob values, but to say he's a drip and can hardly string two words together must mean that the entire AFL industry is full of idiots who are overpaying fools to coach teams - because Clarkson is head and shoulders the best of these idiots. And assistant coaches being paid 3-4 hundred thou a year, is because most clubs have too much money, have a budget, and need to fulfil their budget. That's how it works isn't it?

The fact that most assistants take training and work on the highly technical aspects of the play, ie the biomechanics of their kicking, handballing, as well as enforcing the game plan. Yourpost suggests that you haven't been around an elite football environment for say, 20 years?
Yeah, I'm saying he is a drip. He has a good team - any fool could coach them. Funny how the best sides always have the best coaches - nothing to do with the talent at their disposal.
Looking forward to hearing spud talking about biomechanics, should be riveting stuff. That game plan stuff must be pretty complex. Wonder how today's footballers can deal with all the complexities of it.
Rocket scientists, the lot of them
You have no idea. You are clearly ignorant. Who developed the game plan to win without the best fwd in the comp? Who started coaching with a list that was a shambles and has kept them in the top 4 for the better part of 8 years? Which coach is it that leads the game plan that all the others try and copy?

Any fool could coach them??? Ask any Hawk supporter and they will tell you that their biggest asset isn't Roughie, or Hodgey, or Mitchell - it's Clarkson!
Nuffies like you believe that your heroes are all superhuman. Clarkson must be a genius. Same goes for Roos, Malthouse, Sheedy - even Choco. You must be a mental midget if you are looking up at them.
Clarkson has a skilled kicking side and with incredible foresight, he decided to utilize that skill. Well who would have thought...
Even that nobody assistant managed to coach them to victories. He could also have coached them to a flag.
Players make the coach and you are the ignorant one.

OMG as my daughter would say. I will say this about Searl and you can take it anyway you you like. I worked in the Port Meblourne coaches bos for about 8 games 2 years ago and found her knowledge the equal of anyone in there apart from an injured Toby Pinwell who shone out. However she was just a backs lines coach and there would be 50 equal to her in the VFL. What I obviously didn't see was he interview so she may have been very good and also school teaches do seem to have a great record as coaches these days. I would so though the appointment was because she was a girl but hopefully it wont have any negative effect on the club. And my guess is a few players would have a bit of laugh about it with their mates. Again that doesn't make it the wrong appointment.

Anyway lets just get Toby Pinwell the day he retires from playing. He is excellent.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
Yeah - that's why Clarkson is on close to a mill a year. Because he's a drip. Sure he doesn't speak with the Scotch College finishing school elocution that some might like to suit their own snob values, but to say he's a drip and can hardly string two words together must mean that the entire AFL industry is full of idiots who are overpaying fools to coach teams - because Clarkson is head and shoulders the best of these idiots. And assistant coaches being paid 3-4 hundred thou a year, is because most clubs have too much money, have a budget, and need to fulfil their budget. That's how it works isn't it?

The fact that most assistants take training and work on the highly technical aspects of the play, ie the biomechanics of their kicking, handballing, as well as enforcing the game plan. Yourpost suggests that you haven't been around an elite football environment for say, 20 years?
Yeah, I'm saying he is a drip. He has a good team - any fool could coach them. Funny how the best sides always have the best coaches - nothing to do with the talent at their disposal.
Looking forward to hearing spud talking about biomechanics, should be riveting stuff. That game plan stuff must be pretty complex. Wonder how today's footballers can deal with all the complexities of it.
You have no idea. You are clearly ignorant. Who developed the game plan to win without the best fwd in the comp? Who started coaching with a list that was a shambles and has kept them in the top 4 for the better part of 8 years? Which coach is it that leads the game plan that all the others try and copy?

Any fool could coach them??? Ask any Hawk supporter and they will tell you that their biggest asset isn't Roughie, or Hodgey, or Mitchell - it's Clarkson!
Nuffies like you believe that your heroes are all superhuman. Clarkson must be a genius. Same goes for Roos, Malthouse, Sheedy - even Choco. You must be a mental midget if you are looking up at them.
Clarkson has a skilled kicking side and with incredible foresight, he decided to utilize that skill. Well who would have thought...
Even that nobody assistant managed to coach them to victories. He could also have coached them to a flag.

OMG as my daughter would say. I will say this about Searl and you can take it anyway you you like. I worked in the Port Meblourne coaches bos for about 8 games 2 years ago and found her knowledge the equal of anyone in there apart from an injured Toby Pinwell who shone out. However she was just a backs lines coach and there would be 50 equal to her in the VFL. What I obviously didn't see was he interview so she may have been very good and also school teaches do seem to have a great record as coaches these days. I would so though the appointment was because she was a girl but hopefully it wont have any negative effect on the club. And my guess is a few players would have a bit of laugh about it with their mates. Again that doesn't make it the wrong appointment.

Anyway lets just get Toby Pinwell the day he retires from playing. He is excellent.
Quoted for the relevance and for the fact that you have made another attempt to big note yourself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:

Quoted for the relevance and for the fact that you have made another attempt to big note yourself.
No quoted to show you have no idea and also relevant to the topic. If that is big noting then I feel sorry for your life considering Ayres isn't even in the box. I reckon Andrew Jobling playing with me at Ormond is more big noting than that. You need to live a better life.

#gosaintas
Club Player

The thing is big noter, there is no point name dropping Searl as I didn't support her or knock her. I have no idea about her. I just made a comment on assistant coaches in general. You had to turn it into some sort of personal experience because it really is all about you spending time in some coaches box. I hope she's great. We will prolly never know. Coaches, and particularly assistant coaches, are pretty irrelevant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:The thing is big noter, there is no point name dropping Searl as I didn't support her or knock her. I have no idea about her. I just made a comment on assistant coaches in general. You had to turn it into some sort of personal experience because it really is all about you spending time in some coaches box. I hope she's great. We will prolly never know. Coaches, and particularly assistant coaches, are pretty irrelevant.

I was commenting on her because that was what people were talking about. I only included you in the quote because I think your comment was totally wrong. I knew there would be at least one person who would take it as big noting but as I said being in the coaches box at Port is even less important than Jobbers playing at Ormond. Anyone thinking it is big noting must have a pretty boring life. I find you a very funny person though. Especially when you write about footy.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Who would know what you are rabbiting on about. A whole post to me about you meeting Searl. I guess you know why...maybe time to get your fat arse down to the boundary.

<warning for abuse>

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Exactly Moods, your last two sentences sum up my fears. The evidence suggests most of the industry doesn't rate her. Why should we be the guinea pigs? I feel that Gil and Matt got together on this one. Take your experiments elsewhere, administrators. Let us get on with building a top class coaching team, without PC based interference.
Well your "evidence" is without foundation. You have no first hand knowledge and this is a really pathetic piece of garbage coming from you.

How do I know? From personal contact at Port Melbourne. Some one who worked there when she was assistant to Ayres and who still works there.

Ayres rated her very highly, and most importantly the players rated her very highly.

The only "experiment" is to get Neanderthal mysognists to get their heads out of their arses and not make things up because of their innate prejudice.

If she is no good she will get the sack. Unbelievable piece of garbage from you :roll:
They won't sack her. They wouldn't dare. You're talking crap again when you say I have no knowledge of her abilities. I know four people who have been coached by her and they rate her as ok, nothing outstanding, hardly an endorsement for the elite level. If Ayers thought so highly of her, give her a pay rise or promotion. Maybe another club may have taken her on, but none did. BTW, I love your pathetic, ass licking, PC rubbish. Perhaps you could take some time from smelling your own farts and basking in your own moral superiority. She wasn't the best available and you know it. I love the way you set yourself up as some sort of superior moral arbiter, when in fact you usually resort to abuse to try and "win" your arguments. Reminds me of that uber flog, Joffaboy. Just saying.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
suss wrote:
White Winmar wrote:You have to be kidding, Dave. The kindest thing one could say about her appointment is that it is tokenism at its worst. Her "outstanding CV" consists of five years in the women's league and two years as a part time VFL assistant. If you trawled the available talent for an assistant's position, there would be literally hundreds of men who are better qualified. Shame on those who appointed her, putting the club's welfare and chances of success behind the need to satisfy some pathetic, affirmative action agenda.
:roll:
Rather than use an emoticon, let's give the argument some body. If Peta was such an outstanding candidate, answer me this. Why, over a period of many months did not a single AFL, VFL, VAFA, or suburban club offer her a position? It forced her from the game and back into teaching. Along comes St.Kilda, sees an opportunity to gain some positive publicity and hey presto, we have the first female coach in the history of the game. What a joke. Are we a charity, or a professional football club, intent on winning premierships? No wonder we are considered the Mr. Magoo of the competition.
I thought she gave up her $5,000 assistant coach role in the VFL so she could take up a full-time teaching role as she had two children to support on her own.
I doubt that another role in the VFL, VAFA or elsewhere was going to work for her.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:

No quoted to show you have no idea and also relevant to the topic. If that is big noting then I feel sorry for your life considering Ayres isn't even in the box. I reckon Andrew Jobling playing with me at Ormond is more big noting than that. You need to live a better life.
Great footy career mate.
Playing in a team with Andrew [ s*** footballer ] Jobling and sitting in a sesspit box at port melbourne for a couple of weeks with a wanna a be chick coach. As Dave would say :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A friend who barracks for the Tiges and has a few family members playing high level football told me he had heard really good things about her and thought we'd done really well getting her as she is both a competent coach and a great story and a really good footy person. Apparently she gets a really good response from players who listen to her as she gets her message across well as players seem to give her more respect than others or seem to find the point of difference engaging after having heard the message from men all the way through their junior footy.

If she can do the job to a high standard and happens to be a woman all power to her. Respect to anyone who trail blazes IMO. You know she isn't going to sit on her arse happy that she's drifted into a paid role like some ex players who are out to avoid getting a real job.

jamesmc
Club Player

gringo wrote:A friend who barracks for the Tiges and has a few family members playing high level football told me he had heard really good things about her and thought we'd done really well getting her as she is both a competent coach and a great story and a really good footy person. Apparently she gets a really good response from players who listen to her as she gets her message across well as players seem to give her more respect than others or seem to find the point of difference engaging after having heard the message from men all the way through their junior footy.

If she can do the job to a high standard and happens to be a woman all power to her. Respect to anyone who trail blazes IMO. You know she isn't going to sit on her arse happy that she's drifted into a paid role like some ex players who are out to avoid getting a real job.
Men know football, women know netball.

<warning for baiting>

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:

Great footy career mate.
Playing in a team with Andrew [ s*** footballer ] Jobling and sitting in a sesspit box at port melbourne for a couple of weeks with a wanna a be chick coach. As Dave would say :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen:

I worry about your mental health. Sorry no need to worry, its stuffed. By the way how was your footy career? My guess is Dave wouldn't even bother wasting his time with you. Anyway Im sure your the guy who saiud Rooy was either overated or no good for the club anymore. I think that makes all your opinions invalid.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

jamesmc wrote:
gringo wrote:A friend who barracks for the Tiges and has a few family members playing high level football told me he had heard really good things about her and thought we'd done really well getting her as she is both a competent coach and a great story and a really good footy person. Apparently she gets a really good response from players who listen to her as she gets her message across well as players seem to give her more respect than others or seem to find the point of difference engaging after having heard the message from men all the way through their junior footy.

Why are you trying to incite a riot? You can take your netball and shove it in your 1950s Woman's Day collection.

Great post, gringo.

Always loyal
gringo
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:

I come on here enough to know most men seem to have a better grasp of netball than footy too.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
Moods wrote:

Great footy career mate.

I worry about your mental health. Sorry no need to worry, its stuffed. By the way how was your footy career? My guess is Dave wouldn't even bother wasting his time with you. Anyway Im sure your the guy who saiud Rooy was either overated or no good for the club anymore. I think that makes all your opinions invalid.
My opinion of Riewoldt has never been either one of those two.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:

and <edited by mods> only know soccer.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87654

jamesmc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

and wogs only know soccer.

Are you enjoying the female commentator on the cricket at the moment [ channel 9 and abc ] ?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Are you enjoying the female commentator on the cricket at the moment [ channel 9 and abc ] ?
Kate Fitzpatrick? She's brilliant.

Why?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Why are you trying to incite a riot? You can take your netball and shove it in your 1950s Woman's Day collection.

Great post, gringo.
+1

jamesmc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Great post, gringo.
+1
That sounds a bit too gay for my liking Simper

<warning for homophobic post>

jamesmc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Kate Fitzpatrick? She's brilliant.

Why?
I wonder how many people would agree with you on that one pav.

poor example.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Great post, gringo.
+1
That sounds a bit too gay for my liking Simper
How old are you?

I think some on here need to get a grip. This was a thread about Milney and Peta Searl was not a terrible appointment.