Phantom Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phantom Draft

St Ick wrote:KM changed his selections again.

Rose now in the 50s and we are now taking ANB with 22. He now has DeGoey @ 5!! We'd been discussing him at 21 a fortnight ago! Between 5 and 25 is such a huge guess this year. KM best in the business and is clearly rattled judging by all of his changes

No wonder they can all claim they eventually get it right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a hard draft to pick overall. This will make or break Elshaugh's reputation. No pressure :-)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Seems like a hard draft to pick overall. This will make or break Elshaugh's reputation. No pressure :-)
To be honest, its hard to pick a phantom but probably bloody easy to pick 21 & 22 when it comes our time.

I am almost positive two kids sitting around 10-15 on our list will be there at our picks. They will just take whoever isnt crossed off the list yet - as much as I'd love 11&12 - having the later ones certainly take a tiny bit of pressure off as we will just take the best kid that slides from that better group. It could easily be Duggan, Cockatoo, DeGoey, Weller, Langford or similar.

Cal Twomey mentioned something like there are about 20 kids to fit in that 7-15 draft range so just sit and patiently wait for the cards to fall.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:
evo wrote:Emma Quayle says we are still deciding on pick #1.
hmmm.....i'm hoping that christian isn't a head case......bit of a worry ..that story by ben casanella in this weeks inside football......he's saying that only christian himself can stop christian from becoming the player the masses project him to be........he has evidently already consulted a psychologist and admits his own expectations are a potential career breaker......

..if you want to know more ...by the paper...good value this week...has all the stats on every potential draft pick too....
If we don't grab our Christian, I'll be really pissed-off that we didn't take the multi picks option from the Wogans. :evil:

He'll be fine Sting. Plenty of blokes put high expectations on themselves.

(Didn't Stewie and Plugga always throw-up pre-game because of nerves and expectations...? They tended to settle once out on the field though... four Brownlows, a few more goals, and Team of the Century memberships...)

This story is probably a last minute beat-up to try and spook us out of nabbing the best number one since Roo. Can't see it working though.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Seems like a hard draft to pick overall. This will make or break Elshaugh's reputation. No pressure :-)
To be honest, its hard to pick a phantom but probably bloody easy to pick 21 & 22 when it comes our time.

I am almost positive two kids sitting around 10-15 on our list will be there at our picks. They will just take whoever isnt crossed off the list yet - as much as I'd love 11&12 - having the later ones certainly take a tiny bit of pressure off as we will just take the best kid that slides from that better group. It could easily be Duggan, Cockatoo, DeGoey, Weller, Langford or similar.

Cal Twomey mentioned something like there are about 20 kids to fit in that 7-15 draft range so just sit and patiently wait for the cards to fall.
You make a good point. Picking a phantom is almost impossible because u cant know each teams intentions/ratings (unless you hacked all their computers).

We will rate each player and then pick the highest rated available when our pick comes around. That part is straight forward.

But its the 'ratings' on each player that will decide who we pick and those ratings will be inevitably be what Elshaugh is judged on in the long run. Whether he got those 'ratings' right in the first place. Thats the tricky part.... But so far so good (2011-now)....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:
evo wrote:Emma Quayle says we are still deciding on pick #1.
hmmm.....i'm hoping that christian isn't a head case......bit of a worry ..that story by ben casanella in this weeks inside football......he's saying that only christian himself can stop christian from becoming the player the masses project him to be........he has evidently already consulted a psychologist and admits his own expectations are a potential career breaker......

..if you want to know more ...by the paper...good value this week...has all the stats on every potential draft pick too....
If we don't grab our Christian, I'll be really pissed-off that we didn't take the multi picks option from the Wogans. :evil:

He'll be fine Sting. Plenty of blokes put high expectations on themselves.

(Didn't Stewie and Plugga always throw-up pre-game because of nerves and expectations...? They tended to settle once out on the field though... four Brownlows, a few more goals, and Team of the Century memberships...)

This story is probably a last minute beat-up to try and spook us out of nabbing the best number one since Roo. Can't see it working though.

Why would they honestly run a story to try and stop us taking Petracca. Of course we are taking him.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Reading Knightmares draft thread on Bigfooty he says that this draft is a bit different to others because there will be quality sliders up until at least pick 25. After the first 6 or 7 players there's a wide spread of even (and good) quality.

He mentions that at 21 and 22 we are in a really good spot to get two quality players.

As for who we get, I bet they still ask for extra time and take forever to call the name.

Gershwin
Club Player

Here is another one. From Luke McAlister (Bound for Glory). Think he is just a draft obsessive.

http://boundforglorynews.com/luke-mcali ... tom-draft/

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Here is another one. From Luke McAlister (Bound for Glory). Think he is just a draft obsessive.

Colin Sylvia comparison is a bit worrying. Colin was a pick 3. Mckenzie also sounds risky.
I'd be happy with Garlett at 22.

Gershwin
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Gershwin wrote:Here is another one. From Luke McAlister (Bound for Glory). Think he is just a draft obsessive.

Colin Sylvia comparison is a bit worrying. Colin was a pick 3. Mckenzie also sounds risky.
McKenzie could be a high risk/high reward. Sounds a bit like Stewart Loewe in his early days. Development coaches would love to get their hands on him. Love a bloke that can clunk marks.

summertime and the living is easy ........
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

going to Wet Toast or Freo

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Megamaguire
Club Player

. ' S A F E B E T S '

Luke McA's (bound for glory ) latest has Saints going for R.McKenzie & J.Garlett but describes both as a gamble, J.G. because as an outside player he is by definition risky.
In retrospect it'll be interesting to see how Luke goes compared to KM and our own Els but it has me thinking how much Els and our other recruiting brains are prepared to gamble on Luke McA's ( or actually their own) perceived riskier draftees?

I noticed Luke has described his slightly later rated draftees in J.Steele @ #24 as " a truely exceptional player" and O.McDonald @ #27 who "projects as a 'safe bet' to be a relatively good key defender".
I think Luke believes these 2 are surer bets and this is the issue I would like to highlight here.

I think our recruiters will be loath to take a more riskier bet on these hard won picks (21 & 22).
A perceived safer bet especially if the perceived difference in ability is negligable may well see McDonald picked in front of McK (if still there) if McDonald is rated in front of the big fwd to make a successful transition to afl or the 'exceptional' Steele picked in front of Garlett or Ellis (depending on what choices we have) because the recruiters feel more confident Steele will make it successfully.

More Trivia - Last year Emma Q. had Acers rated @ #16 & Dunstan @ #22 either side of our picks @ #18 & #19.
Wonder who she has in similar position front and back of #21 &#22 this year? Emma had us taking Zach Merrett @ 18 & Tom Cutler @ 19 last year.

G O S A I N T S !
Last edited by Megamaguire on Tue 11 Nov 2014 1:35pm, edited 2 times in total.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im not sure but isnt steele some kind of gws zone pick?

another afl gift.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: . ' S A F E B E T

Megamaguire wrote:I noticed Luke has described his slightly later rated draftees in J.Steele @ #24 as " a truely exceptional player"
He's a GWS academy player. The highest bid for him was North who put forward #15. That suggests he's not "truly exceptional" but definitely pretty good.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love this years draft. After the top half dozen it seems like we could get anyone from Weller to Miller. Will be a few busts from this year & some steals. Let's hope we get lucky & nail at least 3 out of 4 plus an overlooked, underated rookie who becomes All Australian in 6 years. Surely the least we deserve.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kim hagdorn in a hun article describes garlett as a gem selection in this years draft ......says he has been compared to superstar cyril rioli.........but then goes on to say that he is likely to be taken behind his teammates pickett and blakely....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Fidelis
Club Player

Snoop dog from bigfooty just posted his: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/s ... t.1081690/

#1. Petracca

# 21 St Kilda - Damien Cavka
Club: Calder Cannons
Height: 184cm
Weight: 79kg
Position: Wing / HB / HF / Mid
Bio: Fast rising in my list and think he could be one that pushes into the late teens come ‘the day’. He has some real weapons this kid and I think from the Champs on has really figured how to use them and lifted to another gear. He is a momentum changer, he lifts the tempo, endurance (runs a 16.7 beep) and aggression with and without the footy and attacks the goals from the midfield. Has a defensive side to the game as well and had 14 tackles in a game vs NBR. Had an outstanding finals campaign racking up numerous possessions and slotting goals from everywhere. Did I mention he has a 16.7 beep?

# 22 St Kilda - Reece McKenzie
Club: Northern Knights
Height: 196cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Full Forward
Bio: Big tall strong full forward who will have defenders always wondering where he is because he uses his leap and loves hitting a pack. Got good footy smarts and his speed and leading patterns get him into good positions with separation. Has some kicked some big bags of goals this year for the Knights and Marcellin but there is an issue around his ability to dominate against good opposition. His big hauls this year came against weak opposition and hence will be interesting to see where he lands.

Why / Others – He has some ‘risks’ attached to him and I would probably have the widest draft range on him as any player in the draft. His performances against good sides have not been great and clubs will wonder why given the size of him but there is a lot to work with. Yes they have Membrey and White but this guy compliments them and I can see all of them in the one side. Oscar McDonald would be a chance and I really rate Keitel as well.

# 41 St Kilda – Harrison Wigg
Club: North Adelaide
Height: 179cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: HBF
Bio: Am a big fan. Some will say he is a bit of an outside type but you don’t want a kid like this getting bashed up in the stoppages. You want him sitting off as a receiver and slipping it out to him. When he gets it he is off. Reasonably quick, likes attacking the lines and a left foot that was a gift from whichever god you believe in. His ball use is tremendous and arguably the equal of anyone in the draft. That’s not to say he cant win his own ball. He can and he demonstrated that on a number of occasions through the year. You’d love him to be a touch taller and that may hurt him a bit but he is very good. Think of Suckling. He is your kick in man for sure.

Why: Am a big fan of this kid. Think he reads the game as well as anyone in the draft.

Faithful Even Unto Death
saint6709
Club Player

He has what look like pretty decent options for a key back in his rookie predictions as well - which I like the sound of

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Wigg = Suckling? No way then. No receivers! Ever! :evil: Get Daniel. He can win it himself and deliver it... and brilliantly!

And I still reckon McKenzie is iffy. I every good comment I thought was re his poor performances against better opposition... "I have to wonder why given his size advantage." So how is he going to go against good defenders... who are AFL sized...? :idea:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Wigg = Suckling? No way then. No receivers! Ever! :evil: Get Daniel. He can win it himself and deliver it... and brilliantly!

And I still reckon McKenzie is iffy. I every good comment I thought was re his poor performances against better opposition... "I have to wonder why given his size advantage." So how is he going to go against good defenders... who are AFL sized...? :idea:

If you keep mentioning no receivers ever you will just keep losing credibility Dave. Most side probably have 4-6 receiver types in their side. Of those all win their own ball. Some just win it less than others.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Wigg = Suckling? No way then. No receivers! Ever! :evil: Get Daniel. He can win it himself and deliver it... and brilliantly!

If you keep mentioning no receivers ever you will just keep losing credibility Dave. Most side probably have 4-6 receiver types in their side. Of those all win their own ball. Some just win it less than others.
If a bloke can win his own contested footy, then I wouldn't class him as a 'receiver'.

Where we seem to mainly differ here, is re the belief as to whether or not there are 'receivers' in the AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If a bloke can win his own contested footy, then I wouldn't class him as a 'receiver'.

Where we seem to mainly differ here, is re the belief as to whether or not there are 'receivers' in the AFL.

Every single footballer wins their own footy. Can you show me one stat to prove me wrong? I bet you cant.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Do you think Suckling wouldn't get a game with us?

And did you even watch the draftmachine highlights of Wigg before writing this?
He looks a good player, and a lethal kick.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote: And I still reckon McKenzie is iffy.
I agree. McKenzie sounds a bit like Kosi - see ball, get ball.

The problem is, these players get found out quickly, and defenders realise if they can disrupt the forward's line to the ball, they're out of the contest.

Regularly, Kosi would be heading full steam towards a pack, and just get a little nudge from a 3rd man in just before take off. He'd lose balance, not get a jump, and look 2nd rate.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Snoop dog from bigfooty just posted his: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/s ... t.1081690/

#1. Petracca

# 21 St Kilda - Damien Cavka
Club: Calder Cannons
Height: 184cm
Weight: 79kg
Position: Wing / HB / HF / Mid
Bio: Fast rising in my list and think he could be one that pushes into the late teens come ‘the day’. He has some real weapons this kid and I think from the Champs on has really figured how to use them and lifted to another gear. He is a momentum changer, he lifts the tempo, endurance (runs a 16.7 beep) and aggression with and without the footy and attacks the goals from the midfield. Has a defensive side to the game as well and had 14 tackles in a game vs NBR. Had an outstanding finals campaign racking up numerous possessions and slotting goals from everywhere. Did I mention he has a 16.7 beep?

# 22 St Kilda - Reece McKenzie
Club: Northern Knights
Height: 196cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Full Forward
Bio: Big tall strong full forward who will have defenders always wondering where he is because he uses his leap and loves hitting a pack. Got good footy smarts and his speed and leading patterns get him into good positions with separation. Has some kicked some big bags of goals this year for the Knights and Marcellin but there is an issue around his ability to dominate against good opposition. His big hauls this year came against weak opposition and hence will be interesting to see where he lands.

Why / Others – He has some ‘risks’ attached to him and I would probably have the widest draft range on him as any player in the draft. His performances against good sides have not been great and clubs will wonder why given the size of him but there is a lot to work with. Yes they have Membrey and White but this guy compliments them and I can see all of them in the one side. Oscar McDonald would be a chance and I really rate Keitel as well.

# 41 St Kilda – Harrison Wigg
Club: North Adelaide
Height: 179cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: HBF
Bio: Am a big fan. Some will say he is a bit of an outside type but you don’t want a kid like this getting bashed up in the stoppages. You want him sitting off as a receiver and slipping it out to him. When he gets it he is off. Reasonably quick, likes attacking the lines and a left foot that was a gift from whichever god you believe in. His ball use is tremendous and arguably the equal of anyone in the draft. That’s not to say he cant win his own ball. He can and he demonstrated that on a number of occasions through the year. You’d love him to be a touch taller and that may hurt him a bit but he is very good. Think of Suckling. He is your kick in man for sure.

Why: Am a big fan of this kid. Think he reads the game as well as anyone in the draft.
I really like the way Cavka plays. I don't know why he doesn't get much love. I watched a TAC game to see Petracca and Cavka kept doing too much and getting in the way. I think he could be a guy who turns out to be a bit like Joey. Just gets the ball a lot with out much fuss or flashiness. Wigg at 41 would be a steal and Mc Kenzie is like the next Plugger if you get caught up in the hype of his highlights. Like him though.