FIXture Response !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: FIXture Response !!

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/the- ... 1eg05.html

tell me this......if we finish last...how come three other teams get better draws than us..???....when i say better...i mean easier

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

sMarty_saints wrote:I hate the draw myself, but I will still buy my two SC memberships...I will probably go to 2 Saints game for the year.

still tossing up....think stanley was the last straw for me...they did however get a bit back....in my eyes..... by not trading the no1 pick

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:So we finish bottom and melb get to travel 3 times interstate.??!

How the f*** does that work?!
Tell me thats not some day dodgey handshake shite going on.

Glad I'm not a saints member in melb.

Why is that? An 11 game membership sees them 14 times. Sounds ok to me. Certainly better than interstate members who maybe see them once a year.
yeah?
an 11 game membership sees them 14 times?
what?...you get 3 games for free when you buy an 11 gamer?

i see them twice this year
for $500

Yep of course we get 3 free games. Your point was you said you were glad you weren't a Saints member in Melbourne and now you say you see then twice for $500. Seems the Melbourne people have a great deal compared to you and that is my point. Most on here are whinging because certain games don't suit them and then people like you pay $500 to see them twice. I reckon Melbourne need to stop whinging and think how lucky they are and get to friggin games so we at least have something to show the AFL when arguing we deserve a better fixture.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Yep of course we get 3 free games. Your point was you said you were glad you weren't a Saints member in Melbourne and now you say you see then twice for $500. Seems the Melbourne people have a great deal compared to you and that is my point. Most on here are whinging because certain games don't suit them and then people like you pay $500 to see them twice. I reckon Melbourne need to stop whinging and think how lucky they are and get to friggin games so we at least have something to show the AFL when arguing we deserve a better fixture.

Pretty close to the truth. Melbourne supporters are spoiled in comparison to our interstate supporters who will get to see the team twice at best for two probably huge losses.

We at least get a chance to see a win early on in the season.

You are garbage - Enough said
sMarty_saints
Club Player

My point is i hate the draw and I live in Melbourne but I can't go to some games due to various reasons, but I still pay my memberships...i'm allowed to have a whinge once in a while! I will not be able to go to the games that we may have a chance to win....but most likely the ones we lose. However, I was spoilt last year as I got to go interstate twice (both big losses) but I got to see see them win twice (Ess & Freo) - you win some, you lose some!. Anyway nothing I can do about the change in fixture...for some its good, for some its great and for others like me...not great.

sMarty_saints
Club Player

My point is i hate the draw and I live in Melbourne but I can't go to some games due to various reasons, but I still pay my memberships...i'm allowed to have a whinge once in a while! I will not be able to go to the games that we may have a chance to win....but most likely the ones we lose. However, I was spoilt last year as I got to go interstate twice (both big losses) but I got to see see them win twice (Ess & Freo) - you win some, you lose some!. Anyway nothing I can do about the change in fixture...for some its good, for some its great and for others like me...not great.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Loving the lack of Friday nights from a personal calendar perspective.

But in all fairness, when we have been good, we get the Friday night and Saturday games. When you finish last - you get Sunday's.

I'm happy with the draw. It's the same issues every year. Some people can't do Friday's, some can't do Saturdays and some can't do Sunday's.

There's no perfect time for everyone.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:When you finish last - you get Sunday's.
Which would be fine if it were actually true for every club.

Rewarding clubs with equitable fixtures for performance would be a fine system.

Unfortunately though, If Collingwood finish bottom 4, they still get 4 or 5 friday night games, anzac day, queens birthday, 2 games against Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Hawthorn. Maybe a couple of Sunday games, only travel 3 or 4 times.

If they finish top 4, they essentially get the same fixture with maybe 8 or 9 friday night games.

I'm not so concerned about us having a fixture that suits my lifestyle, but if you continue to play the rich clubs in prime-time and the poor clubs on Sunday afternoon… then the disparity will get worse.

Pretty hard to get a decent sponsor or attract new fans if you are not on TV.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Spinner wrote:When you finish last - you get Sunday's.
Which would be fine if it were actually true for every club.

Rewarding clubs with equitable fixtures for performance would be a fine system.

Unfortunately though, If Collingwood finish bottom 4, they still get 4 or 5 friday night games, anzac day, queens birthday, 2 games against Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Hawthorn. Maybe a couple of Sunday games, only travel 3 or 4 times.

If they finish top 4, they essentially get the same fixture with maybe 8 or 9 friday night games.

I'm not so concerned about us having a fixture that suits my lifestyle, but if you continue to play the rich clubs in prime-time and the poor clubs on Sunday afternoon… then the disparity will get worse.

Pretty hard to get a decent sponsor or attract new fans if you are not on TV.

Pretty hard to get over a billion dollars for TV rights if every club gets the same amount of FTA time even if they have bugger all supporting them. But that's fine if we don't want the money then we take the risk of the AFL not giving us more money to guarantee survival.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if we need a billion dollars? I would rather 950 million with a draw that actually helps improve clubs like us commercially.

You could just rotate collingwood Essendon & Carlton every Friday night, maybe that would generate 1.1 billion.

The 6 day break and fairness issues are completely seperate, yes people will whinge about everything. I am concerned about lack of exposure, it doesn't bother you... No worries.

It has been clearly acknowledged by the AFL already, I just don't think the handouts in compensation for poor fixtures is sustainable.

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

However, 18 clubs are needed for nine games a weekend televised into all markets in Australia, so poorer drawing clubs need to be compensated for accepting that principle of designing a fixture to maximise attendances.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Not sure if we need a billion dollars? I would rather 950 million with a draw that actually helps improve clubs like us commercially.

You could just rotate collingwood Essendon & Carlton every Friday night, maybe that would generate 1.1 billion.

The 6 day break and fairness issues are completely seperate, yes people will whinge about everything. I am concerned about lack of exposure, it doesn't bother you... No worries.

It has been clearly acknowledged by the AFL already, I just don't think the handouts in compensation for poor fixtures is sustainable.

If fixtures are to be designed to maximise attendances and television ratings, then the big drawing clubs must have the prime time slots (Friday nights) and blockbuster games (Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday).

Fulfilling that objective multiplies the power of bigger drawing clubs because it increases their gate receipts and membership, as well as sponsorship opportunities. It works in reverse for poorer drawing clubs.

However, 18 clubs are needed for nine games a weekend televised into all markets in Australia, so poorer drawing clubs need to be compensated for accepting that principle of designing a fixture to maximise attendances.

We do get compensated. And do you realise how poor our crowds were last season even when we had the occasional good timeslot. And I think the lack of exposure is probably a good thing considering how poor we are. We didn't lack exposure 3 years ago but Richmoond yet their membership increased and ours went backwards. Lets face it we are a smaller club no matter when we play and anyfixture that was designed but a common sense group would have us in the poorer timeslots at least until we become good.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets face it we are a smaller club no matter when we play and anyfixture that was designed but a common sense group would have us in the poorer timeslots at least until we become good.
Yes we are a smaller club and always probably will be, but the point I am making is that the gap between the rich & poor is just getting bigger and will continue to do so while we favor short term revenue over building 18 strong clubs long term.

Unfortunately the guys designing the fixture earn millions in bonuses by skewing it to maximize revenue. Let's keep playing the 70,000 member club in the marquee fixtures and give a hand out to the 30,000 sunday arvo crew… that sounds like a really responsible long term plan.

2 - 4 Friday night games for each club would be a common sense approach to ensure a little bit exposure to everyone. Instead we have some getting 7 or even 9 some years and others with 1. That's both unnecessary & unreasonable IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets face it we are a smaller club no matter when we play and anyfixture that was designed but a common sense group would have us in the poorer timeslots at least until we become good.
Yes we are a smaller club and always probably will be, but the point I am making is that the gap between the rich & poor is just getting bigger and will continue to do so while we favor short term revenue over building 18 strong clubs long term.

Unfortunately the guys designing the fixture earn millions in bonuses by skewing it to maximize revenue. Let's keep playing the 70,000 member club in the marquee fixtures and give a hand out to the 30,000 sunday arvo crew… that sounds like a really responsible long term plan.

2 - 4 Friday night games for each club would be a common sense approach to ensure a little bit exposure to everyone. Instead we have some getting 7 or even 9 some years and others with 1. That's both unnecessary & unreasonable IMO.

Not for our survival it isn't. Lets face it we want to play Collingwood on a Friday night and guess what, we do. Isnt our home game but its exposure on the best night and the biggest club. Who else should we play. What about Melbourne a Friday night. Maybe get 25k instead of 23k on a Sunday.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What about you sell a fair and equitable draw to the TV networks, whatever that is worth.

Each team gets a chance to a) win a premiership & b) become a viable club financially

3 or 4 Friday games each, rotate the marquee slots, that would be common sense.

The AFL is going to go bankrupt from this, that's a complete furphy…

Demetriou was getting bigger personal bonuses than our handouts, that's how ridiculous the current set-up is.

We have more chance of folding the further away we slip into insignificance (sunday afternoon).

dragit
Saintsational Legend

At current rate, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon will have 150,000 members in another 10 years… The Dogs, Dees, Saints & North will have a quarter…

This is when clubs will fold.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:What about you sell a fair and equitable draw to the TV networks, whatever that is worth.

Each team gets a chance to a) win a premiership & b) become a viable club financially

Demetriou was getting bigger personal bonuses than our handouts, that's how ridiculous the current set-up is.

We have more chance of folding the further away we slip into insignificance (sunday afternoon).

Why wouldn't the AFL do that if they thought it would end up fair to everyone. My guess is their financial modelling suggests they would lose that much moiney that they would struggle to support all the clubs because the fact is the smaller clubs get bugger all to games when they are struggling where as the bigger clubs still get huge crowds when they are struggling. Imaging if this year it was playing Melbourne on Anzac day. What a joke that would be where as you can still bet the Essendon, pies game gets huge crowd even though both will probably struggle this year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:What about you sell a fair and equitable draw to the TV networks, whatever that is worth.

Why wouldn't the AFL do that if they thought it would end up fair to everyone. My guess is their financial modelling suggests they would lose that much moiney that they would struggle to support all the clubs because the fact is the smaller clubs get bugger all to games when they are struggling where as the bigger clubs still get huge crowds when they are struggling. Imaging if this year it was playing Melbourne on Anzac day. What a joke that would be where as you can still bet the Essendon, pies game gets huge crowd even though both will probably struggle this year.
Maybe the guys running the show earn millions more by the current system?

Anzac day should be awarded to teams playing well - say the grand final replay from the year before - would always be a huge crowd.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Anzac day should be awarded to teams playing well - say the grand final replay from the year before - would always be a huge crowd.

Freo playing Sydney at the G? And yep they get more money with the current system but the commission would stop the current system if they didn't think it was the best system for the competition.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Surely it would be Hawks v Syd at the G. A much better game than Ess v Coll.
It's not the best system for the competition. It is a system that guarantees to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. That is a crap system. There needs to be some sort of middle ground where smaller clubs have a chance to grow support and gain sponsorship. No home fri night games to StKilda or Footscray, while two non finalists get 13 between them. Madness.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Surely it would be Hawks v Syd at the G. A much better game than Ess v Coll.
It's not the best system for the competition. It is a system that guarantees to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. That is a crap system. There needs to be some sort of middle ground where smaller clubs have a chance to grow support and gain sponsorship. No home fri night games to StKilda or Footscray, while two non finalists get 13 between them. Madness.

Yes it would next year but what happens when 2 interstate sides play in the GF? It does happen. I think the point everyone misses is the TV money helps us survive. Playing one or two big sides at Etihad when we are going poorly would give us bugger all money. We are a small side and will only get Friday night when we are a better side. By the way if Friday night really helps all sides then why did we struggle to build our membership after 2010 and also sponsorship.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Go point #gosaintas - crap system.

Anzac Day could be the two highest vic clubs from the year before, it doesn't matter anyway as next year things change, the AFL has realised how unfair things have been for too long.

Plugs, it's not about getting a good draw for one or two years, it's accumulative. McDonalds don't just pay the money to advertise prime time for a year then call it quits. They pay for prime time every single year cause that's how it works, when people keep seeing the same thing each week, they buy it... Same goes for a football team if you were new to the sport. You're not going to pick a team that isn't on the tellie.

In the last 15 years melbournes population has increased by nearly a million people, we need some of these people to choose the saints, they're most likely choosing Essendon or collingwood, cause they are on every week regardless of how s*** they are playing.

Hoo de farhk is saynt kill'd her ?
Never heard of him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We for the third year running get Anzac Day in NZ.

Not sure what you mean?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.