Key Position Back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Key Position Back

Who takes the second key back position to work with Delany for the next season? If Bruce doesn't go back there, surely we must get a mature bloke to play the role for a year or 2 while we develop someone else or identify a decent prospect in an upcoming trade period -- can't see Fisher 191cm or Simpkin 191cm doing it - anyone else. ? Or does Bruce just need to be played back ?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Key Position Back

Sam Gilbert.

His foot surgery went very well.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping Bains was going to trade for a KPD

Now i'm i'm hoping we recruit one

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saint6709
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:I was hoping Bains was going to trade for a KPD

I hope we recruit one - but what do we do during the next few years while he develops ??

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:I was hoping Bains was going to trade for a KPD

I hope we recruit one - but what do we do during the next few years while he develops ??
Struggle

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BackFromUSA wrote:Sam Gilbert.

You know that for a fact? Good news if true......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think with Riewoldt… Membrey, Lee, White & Siposs vying for for the tall forward spots, Bruce will need play defence. Between Dempster, Fisher & Gilbert we should have enough tall defenders with Bruce & Delaney, Simpkin a backup.

No more recycled spuds like Mitch Brown please.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

dragits list of KPD's reads like we need to recruit one, and very soon

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Sam Gilbert.

You know that for a fact? Good news if true......
Sam told my footy wife.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I think with Riewoldt… Membrey, Lee, White & Siposs vying for for the tall forward spots, Bruce will need play defence. Between Dempster, Fisher & Gilbert we should have enough tall defenders with Bruce & Delaney, Simpkin a backup.

Sounds from that list like we are desperate for a Key back. If our future backline depends on Depmster,Fisher & Gilbo then its fair to say we are in a lot of strife going fwd.

Bruce and Delaney is a decent start though. But I think we will need another at some stage shortly.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:I think with Riewoldt… Membrey, Lee, White & Siposs vying for for the tall forward spots, Bruce will need play defence. Between Dempster, Fisher & Gilbert we should have enough tall defenders with Bruce & Delaney, Simpkin a backup.

Sounds from that list like we are desperate for a Key back. If our future backline depends on Depmster,Fisher & Gilbo then its fair to say we are in a lot of strife going fwd.

Bruce and Delaney is a decent start though. But I think we will need another at some stage shortly.
Wish i had said that

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Which is why I hope we select Oscar McDonald in the draft.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Which is why I hope we select Oscar McDonald in the draft.
PC has him at 27 and Knightmare has him at 40.
So he is certainly in our striking range.
He is from Edenhope which I have never heard of so that has to be a good thing.

Which border are you near anyway Barry?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Absolutely, what I am saying is that we shouldn't be getting in any stop gap recycled ones... Next 2 years won't matter anyway and we have a couple of senior guys who can fill the roles.

The op is suggesting we get a "mature" player in for next year - and has mentioned ex geelong Mitch Brown in another thread who is nowhere near as good as fisher & Dempster. We need to draft as many young players as possible, not top up.
Last edited by dragit on Sat 25 Oct 2014 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Roberton is obviously another tall but he needs to be operating with a full can of coke next year, but even saying that he's not a KPP.
With Membrey into the team and a fit and performing Lee we should be ok for forwards next year.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Scoop
Club Player

+1

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Forget about drafting key backs. They are like ruckman. get matured aged ones when you need them or turn a tall forward into as back as many are anyway. We should only be drafting mids and maybe a tall forward. Not even sure we should do that. I suppose a question that would be interesting to answer is would a team with Ablett, Fyffe, Dangerfield, Priddis, Kennedy, Parker, Hodge and no good forwards beat a team with Franklin, Roughead, Ballantyne, Rooy, Bruest, Hawkins beat a tem with no good mids. Im going for the mids side and by a fair margin.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Forget about drafting key backs. They are like ruckman. get matured aged ones when you need them or turn a tall forward into as back as many are anyway. We should only be drafting mids and maybe a tall forward. Not even sure we should do that. I suppose a question that would be interesting to answer is would a team with Ablett, Fyffe, Dangerfield, Priddis, Kennedy, Parker, Hodge and no good forwards beat a team with Franklin, Roughead, Ballantyne, Rooy, Bruest, Hawkins beat a tem with no good mids. Im going for the mids side and by a fair margin.
Im not trying to get in an argument but I suggest you re-visit your logic. Firstly obviously you want a balanced list. So the all mids v all kpps question isnt really a question at all.

Secondly footy clubs go on trends. So I assume you are basing your no key backs idea on the fact lake, gibson, mcpharlin, frawley, richards are all re-cycled. But if all 18 clubs took your logic - and copied this approach then by definition noone would draft a key back or a key position player.

Then say one side did draft a kpp - 1/18 - then that kpp would become immensely valuable as there wouldnt be any other key ps in the whole comp because everyone had thought like you and not drafted them hoping to recycle them later. The club that did have the one single good key back (seeing none were drafted) would then be able to trade them for a lot. Look at Melbourne - ok Frawley has gone to the hawks - but Melbourne are not the loser form this - theyd be more than happy with the pick 3 for him.

This is actually a game theory problem (which basically means you need to adjust your own strategy based on the strategy of your competitors) . Luckily you arent on our drafting committee.

At the end of the day you just need good players. If you can get good players in multiple positions - well then you are doing real well.

Anyway - Oscar McDonald at pick 41 would be awesome imho.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 25 Oct 2014 1:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Forget about drafting key backs. They are like ruckman. get matured aged ones when you need them or turn a tall forward into as back as many are anyway. We should only be drafting mids and maybe a tall forward. Not even sure we should do that. I suppose a question that would be interesting to answer is would a team with Ablett, Fyffe, Dangerfield, Priddis, Kennedy, Parker, Hodge and no good forwards beat a team with Franklin, Roughead, Ballantyne, Rooy, Bruest, Hawkins beat a tem with no good mids. Im going for the mids side and by a fair margin.
Im not trying to get in an argument but I suggest you re-visit your logic. Firstly obviously you want a balanced list. So the all mids v all kpps question isnt really a question at all.

Secondly footy clubs go on trends. So I assume you are basing your no key backs idea on the fact lake, gibson, mcpharlin, frawley, richards are all re-cycled. But if all 18 clubs took your logic - and copied this approach then by definition noone would draft a key back or a key position player.

Then say one side did draft a kpp - 1/18 - then that kpp would become immensely valuable as there wouldnt be any other key ps in the whole comp because everyone had thought like you and not drafted them hoping to recycle them later. The club that did have the one single good key back (seeing none were drafted) would then be able to trade them for a lot. Look at Melbourne - ok Frawley has gone to the hawks - but Melbourne are not the loser form this - theyd be more than happy with the pick 3 for him. This is actually a game theory problem. Luckily you arent on our drafting committee.

At the end of the day you just need good players. If you can get good players in multiple positions - well then you are doing real well.

I think we should definitely keep grabbing mids but no more inside mids unless they are absolute stand outs. We need some class and speed on the outside and still need to look at getting another KPB in. Petracca will probably come in and that will mean another guy who can win his own ball but also strong ball carrier and play maker then we have Dunstan, Armo and Ross who are mostly inside types. Steven the only outside speedy type ATM hopefully Billings and Newnes can go through there too and Saunders might also be an option. Joey should step back up this year hopefully. Curren, Weller, Minchington and Ray are a bit of depth but probably not going to get to a grade status. I hope we get Cockatoo or Pickett or Garlett someone with a bit of toe and excitement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Then say one side did draft a kpp - 1/18 - then that kpp would become immensely valuable as there wouldnt be any other key ps in the whole comp because everyone had thought like you and not drafted them hoping to recycle them later. The club that did have the one single good key back (seeing none were drafted) would then be able to trade them for a lot. Look at Melbourne - ok Frawley has gone to the hawks - but Melbourne are not the loser form this - theyd be more than happy with the pick 3 for him.

This is actually a game theory problem (which basically means you need to adjust your own strategy based on the strategy of your competitors) . Luckily you arent on our drafting committee.

Did you read what I actually wrote? I also said you can make a back from a forward so they all don't have to be recycled. I will give you a tip, we could have Plugger and Silvagno in our side and we would still get beaten by huge margins because our mids aren't good enough and we don't have enough of them, well certainly true mids. Backs and rucks should now be later picks or recycled or in the backs case turned from forwards into backs. The rider on that is a Rooy or a Franklin type.

I love the way you say I am wrong and use examples to prove I am right. Sounds like you are just saying I am wrong for the sake of it. By the way which side do you think would win Con?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

that one........you have never hear of edenhope...????unbelievable

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Which is why I hope we select Oscar McDonald in the draft

Fraid to admit it sting.
I have been to mt gambier as a kid and done the trip to adelaide a few times as well the grampians and stawell a few times.
ive had a dip at border town and a pie at tailem bend.
but not been to edenhope. Im sure im not alone on that score.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Which is why I hope we select Oscar McDonald in the draft

Fraid to admit it sting.
I have been to mt gambier as a kid and done the trip to adelaide a few times as well the grampians and stawell a few times.
ive had a dip at border town and a pie at tailem bend.
but not been to edenhope. Im sure im not alone on that score.

on the road to narracourte. near vic/sa border..........ballarat, ararat, stawell....edenhope......did you get my pm...

:wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

To be fair, you don't really pass through Edenhope on the way to anywhere in particular.......unless you're going from Horsham to Mt Gambier.

Pretty sure Edenhope is the birthplace of a very good footballer, possibly one of the most talented Collingwood players in the past 40 years.

Anybody care to guess?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend