Who plays Stanley's role now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Who plays Stanley's role now?

ace wrote:I hope no-one plays the Stanley role.

We don't need another player weakly contesting marks in the forward line and weakly playing second ruckman.

You're right, we need a playertaking contested marks weekly, and playing second ruckman weekly.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The couple of times I have been to training at Seaford and seen them running ruck drills - Spencer White was always included and appeared competitive. Hence I believe he will be developed in that role which will also help him build the tank he will need if he is to make it as a key forward. He is a much more natural forward than Stanley and will be as solid in the ruck!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If Spencer works out to be a decent player -he doesnt have to be a star - but a decent player then it will be a huge bonus. He was a pick 25. Now I know players shouldnt be judged entirely on what pick they were but the reality is that to some extent they are. But Spencer was never a complete smoky. Until proven otherwise - we should expect that he can play at least as well as Rhys.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

City west

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Bruce, White and Lee all look at present to be second or third forwards rather than a "proper" spearhead.
One of them might develop. Rhys was never going to be a genuine key forward. IMO. More of a featherweight ruck who could pinch hit at ff and pinch hit in the ruck and do neither to satisfaction.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:City west
+1
give the lad a crack

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

He's training with Essendon.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I expect to see Holmesy having a run in the seniors before too long. Looking forward to it.
This.

While in the short term there will be some pain. I am very quietly confident Homles is going to turn into a big asset. needs time but the guy is really coming a long well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

:D

His sig WW haven't you read it?
White Winmar wrote:
He's training with Essendon.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I expect to see Holmesy having a run in the seniors before too long. Looking forward to it.
This.

While in the short term there will be some pain. I am very quietly confident Homles is going to turn into a big asset. needs time but the guy is really coming a long well.

He would want to improve his marking if he was to play around 70% forward. marks like Longer at the moment and has hardly kicked a goal. Yep only his first year but I think he is a ruckman and not a forward.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

i think after this season P66 we will have a better idea about Holmes... I hope he turns into what i pray he might... but time will tell. (agree there's a heap he still needs to improve)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Now that Rhys is gone, who will take his place? Despite the criticisms of him, he played an essential role in the modern game plan, that of the forward who can go into the ruck. While we're really well stocked for ruckmen, none of the current crop looks capable of changing a game as a forward. I know Rhys didn't do this enough, but at least he looked threatening on a few occasions.

So where to now? Hickey looks the most capable, but he is likely to be our number one, when fit. Billy Longer looks to be a ruckman only. I know he's young and developing, but his inability to take an overhead mark, coupled with the fact he has the mobility of a hobbled snail, rules him out. One goal in twenty five-odd games speaks volumes. That one goal came from a free kick.

That leaves Holmes, very much a project player and Lewis Pierce. Maybe they have plans to use White or Lee in the role, but I sincerely hope not. Lee is already injury prone and I believe would be ineffective, while Spencer needs more time to develop. So going on all of that, it looks as though Pierce may be the man. He can certainly take a grab and is good below his knees for a big man. He's mobile with good skills, but is he physically nature enough?

After considering all of this, do we just go with two ruckmen, namely Hickey and Longer, or do we take a punt on Pierce? Thoughts?
Sandy will find someone to take over from Rhys

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
andrewg
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Now that Rhys is gone, who will take his place? Despite the criticisms of him, he played an essential role in the modern game plan, that of the forward who can go into the ruck. While we're really well stocked for ruckmen, none of the current crop looks capable of changing a game as a forward. I know Rhys didn't do this enough, but at least he looked threatening on a few occasions.

So where to now? Hickey looks the most capable, but he is likely to be our number one, when fit. Billy Longer looks to be a ruckman only. I know he's young and developing, but his inability to take an overhead mark, coupled with the fact he has the mobility of a hobbled snail, rules him out. One goal in twenty five-odd games speaks volumes. That one goal came from a free kick.

That leaves Holmes, very much a project player and Lewis Pierce. Maybe they have plans to use White or Lee in the role, but I sincerely hope not. Lee is already injury prone and I believe would be ineffective, while Spencer needs more time to develop. So going on all of that, it looks as though Pierce may be the man. He can certainly take a grab and is good below his knees for a big man. He's mobile with good skills, but is he physically nature enough?

After considering all of this, do we just go with two ruckmen, namely Hickey and Longer, or do we take a punt on Pierce? Thoughts?
Spencer White.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:i think after this season P66 we will have a better idea about Holmes... I hope he turns into what i pray he might... but time will tell. (agree there's a heap he still needs to improve)

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:i think after this season P66 we will have a better idea about Holmes... I hope he turns into what i pray he might... but time will tell. (agree there's a heap he still needs to improve)
Yeah about three years time! He will not play a senior game next year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Yeah about three years time! He will not play a senior game next year.
Or at least not as a forward!!

Holmes has shown some aptitude with his tapwork....but as for winning the ball the around the ground, let alone playing as key forward he has shown very little to date.

Her certainly will not be playing mainly in the forward line in the seniors next. Not unless we are looking fora goal post.

When, and if, he plays it will be as a No 1 ruck, unless he has a dramatic transformation..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 28 Oct 2014 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Stanley's role was as a passenger. Hopefully no one can fit that role next year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Who plays Stanley's role now ?

What role ?
Jack Watts without the talent.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
gringo
Saintsational Legend

People very harsh on big Rhys. I think he was progressing nicely. I think Pierce will probably get a few games next season and was coming home very strongly after returning from his injuries. He probably has the most natural forward/ contested aerial game of the remaining rucks. Could see him being a bit of a Kosi/ Hale 20 to 40 goal a year forward if he got a good run at it but with a bit of a chop out for the main ruck. He looks a bit of a Darren Jolly type in the ruck too. I think he will be a bit of a surprise packet Big Lewie.