Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

Look, the club has signed off on a strategy, and they're sticking to it.

Credit where it's due. Whether you agree with the strategy or not is a different story.

We needed to trade someone to get extra first round pick. And if not for one game this season where Rhys blitzed, we'd never have got close to pick 21 for him.

So it'd have to have been Dunstan, Billings or Steven. As they're probably the only 3 on our list that we'd have got a first round pick for!

Or of course, trading Petracca for two top 10s.

So really, I think the club did really well.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

And, well almost certainly get pick 1 again next year you'd think.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Milera will go home for nothing. Big fail there by the Saints.
How can that be a fail?

There was zero interest.
The fail was trading him in the first place. Wasn't good enough for the AFL
Like 75% of players that are drafted…

I think he was worth a try, clearly has talent & he didn't cost us anything, so I wouldn't call it a big fail.

31 goals in 30 games says he isn't a complete spud.
Was part of pick 25. They should have tried for 1 decent player another Newnes type would have been good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Was part of pick 25. They should have tried for 1 decent player another Newnes type would have been good.
They did try, they recruited Ross.

Seriously, Saad & Milera cost us a packet of chips… a 5 pick downgrade, we probably got the player we wanted anyway.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I'm going to sit on the fence. I'm not sure Petracca will be a gun, but it's interesting how he compares to some of our other top 10 picks.

Ball, Roo, Kosi, Raph, X, McEvoy, Ball, Billings, BJ.

There is not one player in that list who I'd consider explosive goal kicking mids. We have never had a Martin/Dangerfield type on our list especially one picked that high. Steven may be close, but he is more Swan and was not a top ten pick.

So back to trades, we got a steal for Rhys, I'm still not sure it's a good trade though - of course now he is off the list he is an inconsistent athlete who never fulfilled his potential but I'm not convinced. If we get McKenzie, if McKenzie is available, then I'm satisfied with the trade - as much as it looks like overs, jury is still out depending on pick 21 and I'm not convinced that we will get a big name.

I suppose it is more, what could've been. Was Armo really on the table for pick 12? If so, I don't understand our reasoning in not trading. We have Dunstan, Ross, Mav, TC etc, pick 12 could be an absolute gun this year with the evenness up to around 15.

GWS played us, but I'm glad we didn't panic, Paddy, Laverde and Weller vs Petracca, would've been crazy good. Having said that, it wasn't available.

We missed Jaksch, JOR, Boyd, but our involvement meant GWS got some incredible deals for them and so part of me is glad we didn't overpay.

So, we got Membrey for nothing. Who kicks lots of goals in a suburban comp, sorry, that was negative. He has always shown potential, even in his U18 days. HOLY COW, I just realised something, Sydney really are the nice guys of the comp. They felt so guilty that they traded TDL for the pick they got Membrey with they just gave him back to us for nothing, top blokes! Anyway, he sort of reminds me of Petracca. A small but stocky forward who might turn into a bullocking oversized mid. Could be a great pick up, especially with his excellent goal kicking ability. Oh wait, another big inside mid, what are we trying to create here! Nah, he will be a great third tall, if someone steps up to become our first and second tall that is :?

I'm going to be upset on draft day as the players I really rate fall in the 7-15 range, but I don't think I can call our trade week a fail. Because of the deals that didn't go through, it's not a pass but it's not a fail. I'm on the fence.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:From Jon Ralph in the Hun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7092874309

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

IN: Nil

OUT: Rhys Stanley. James Gwilt

DRAFT PICKS: 1, 21, 22, 41, 78, 96, 114

VERDICT: This might have been a high distinction if they had lured GWS into offering picks 4, 6 and 7 for their No. 1, which they believed was a chance. But it is highway robbery for them to get pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, who they knew had a nice highlights reel but did little for most of the time. For the second straight year they have three picks inside 22, a big tick. And they will get Tim Membrey for a packet of chips. They just love likely No. 1 draft pick Christian Petracca, who they believe is a game-changer. Think Dangerfield — dynamic and strong and with breakaway speed.
"

I'd be pretty happy with that if I was our recruiting team. He gives Sydney and WCE a "Fail", and marks Freo "Absent". Only Brisbane and the Hawks were rated higher. And many lower … FWIW.

that's funny....i counted 4 high distinctions.....double checked too......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

VERDICT: This might have been a high distinction if they had lured GWS into offering picks 4, 6 and 7 for their No. 1, which they believed was a chance. But it is highway robbery for them to get pick 21 for Rhys Stanley, who they knew had a nice highlights reel but did little for most of the time. For the second straight year they have three picks inside 22, a big tick. And they will get Tim Membrey for a packet of chips. They just love likely No. 1 draft pick Christian Petracca, who they believe is a game-changer. Think Dangerfield — dynamic and strong and with breakaway speed.
"

I'd be pretty happy with that if I was our recruiting team. He gives Sydney and WCE a "Fail", and marks Freo "Absent". Only Brisbane and the Hawks were rated higher. And many lower … FWIW.
He obviously hasn't spoken to Stinger :D

i don't rate ralph....do you???

stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Milera will go home for nothing. Big fail there by the Saints.
How can that be a fail?

There was zero interest.
The fail was trading him in the first place. Wasn't good enough for the AFL

exactly....if he was any good port would have snapped him up......

...if he goes then that's eight off the list ...so schneids may yet get to stay and mav gets upgraded....

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:Massive fail in my opinion. GWS offered picks 4 and 7 for pick 1. I can not believe they rejected this.
Totally incorrect

GWS demanded 1 & 21 for 4&7.

That is way way unders. Even 4&7 for 1 is unders.

They had 4,6,7 and 1&21 would have been swapped for that.

last year they demanded Jack Steven and #3 for #1, theis year they offer this crap :roll:

Have been saying it for weeks that offering s.hit wouldn't get it done.
citywest wrote:They are gutless in my opinion.
Who cares about your opinion. It is based on incorrect facts in the first place.
citywest wrote: Scared that Petracca MAY be better than who we would have got at 4 and 7 and they would look silly.
Huh - what a silly thing to say. Scarred that the best player at TAC level will be any good.
citywest wrote:What they don't realize is that you need to dare to win. They didn't dare so we didn't win.
lol - what unmitigated rubbish.

oh woe is us we get the best TAC player in the country while you would have had us giving 1 and 21 for 4&7

Thank god we have sensible people running our recruiting not panic merchants who would give away the farm

You are garbage - Enough said
markp
Saintsational Legend

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

"

Like, and agree.

Pass.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:That is way way unders last year they demanded Jack Steven and #3 for #1, this year they offer this crap :roll:

So this year it is Jack Steven & Jack Billings for Ryan Griffin & pick 6, I think I just threw up a little...

GWS are pretty bloody awesome operators to be fair. They got better deals than I expected for Frost, Jaksch, JOR and Boyd. I'm so jealous of all of their talent, I think we all are and just expect them to give up a lot for not much because of what they already have but they aren't a charity I suppose (arguable). I've already said it, but I feel we got played by GWS a bit. They tend to overpay when they want someone (Patful), but play very impressive hardball the other way around (Jaksch), still shocked we didn't get an improved offer for Petracca but they may not have been as desperate as we thought.

Any takers on which clubs wanted pick one and what offers were available?

Also, anyone have a list of the 2016 free agents?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:That is way way unders last year they demanded Jack Steven and #3 for #1, this year they offer this crap :roll:

So this year it is Jack Steven & Jack Billings for Ryan Griffin & pick 6, I think I just threw up a little...

GWS are pretty bloody awesome operators to be fair. They got better deals than I expected for Frost, Jaksch, JOR and Boyd. I'm so jealous of all of their talent, I think we all are and just expect them to give up a lot for not much because of what they already have but they aren't a charity I suppose (arguable). I've already said it, but I feel we got played by GWS a bit. They tend to overpay when they want someone (Patful), but play very impressive hardball the other way around (Jaksch), still shocked we didn't get an improved offer for Petracca but they may not have been as desperate as we thought.

Any takers on which clubs wanted pick one and what offers were available?

Also, anyone have a list of the 2016 free agents?

There are about 10 who are out of contract in 2015 who haven't re-signed. it was on the BF Drafting thread but that is 1050 pages long so I cant find it.

Suffice to say, lets see how bad arsed they are next season when the boot is on the other foot and there are multiple DFA's or PSD's from GWS.

There whole culture is based on money grbas. Both co-captains left their original clubs for $$$$$$$

Their No.1 pick from 2013 just left for money that, in dollar terms makes him better than Riewoldt, Hawkins, Cloke, and Walker by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Next season will be carnage at Greater Waste of Space.

You are garbage - Enough said
Megamaguire
Club Player

Saints Giving IT A G0

I'll give our club a distinction after we secure 2 good picks at the end of the first round in Nov.
That distinction might take a few years to arrive though.
Just hoping that all the research and work finds 2 ripping good players to join Petracca and Membery as part of the 2014 influx.

S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Furphy
Club Player

I'll give it a C+, we have three early picks including #1. If we can bag three talented players it will be great!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

magnifisaint wrote:
CarlD wrote:Boyd may turn out to be a very good player but it will be interesting to see whether it creates any unrest at the Bulldogs with their other young guns and what they think they are worth in comparison. It's a big punt on a young player who hasn't shown a lot as yet. If the Saints are going to throw that sort of money around I would prefer it was for someone with more of a track record.
I think you're spot on. I wonder how much Bomptempelli, Stringer and the other guns will ask for next year when their 2 years is up. How hard will it to be to entice some of those to leave?
I'm sure they are asking the same questions to themselves and would be quitely amused. The Bulldogs have a lot to lose but possibly a lot to gain. It's boom or bust. Will be interesting to see how they go in the next 2 or 3 years.
Excellent points!

IMHO boyd has to REALLY produce big-time from pretty much straight away.

Why?

Coz IMHO you can't claim that you're a very young and very inexperienced big bloke who will take 4-5 years to start delivering, when from day one you are drawing...

$1 million per year!

For Boyd (unless injured) there are no excuses not to perform.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

More important than the pass/fail of the trade period was the high distinction mark for signing so many of our players for the next few years. With this front ended/back ended contract negotiations the club knows EXACTLY how much salary cap manoeuvring they have in the next few years. Very important planning and a high distinction.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
CarlD wrote:Boyd may turn out to be a very good player but it will be interesting to see whether it creates any unrest at the Bulldogs with their other young guns and what they think they are worth in comparison. It's a big punt on a young player who hasn't shown a lot as yet. If the Saints are going to throw that sort of money around I would prefer it was for someone with more of a track record.
I think you're spot on. I wonder how much Bomptempelli, Stringer and the other guns will ask for next year when their 2 years is up. How hard will it to be to entice some of those to leave?
I'm sure they are asking the same questions to themselves and would be quitely amused. The Bulldogs have a lot to lose but possibly a lot to gain. It's boom or bust. Will be interesting to see how they go in the next 2 or 3 years.
Excellent points!

IMHO boyd has to REALLY produce big-time from pretty much straight away.

Why?

Coz IMHO you can't claim that you're a very young and very inexperienced big bloke who will take 4-5 years to start delivering, when from day one you are drawing...

$1 million per year!

For Boyd (unless injured) there are no excuses not to perform.

He is on about 80K next year so he has a year to go to justify the money.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

really 80 thousand?

i cleared 80 thousand working on machinery

he needs a new job,

dogs can have boyd
we'll tak jezz cam next year thank you very much
i reckon most people would give that a pass mark huh

8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:really 80 thousand?

i cleared 80 thousand working on machinery

he needs a new job,

dogs can have boyd
we'll tak jezz cam next year thank you very much
i reckon most people would give that a pass mark huh

8-)

They would. I didn't know we already had him signed.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

make some sense when you post

have another go at it Image

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:make some sense when you post

have another go at it Image

It makes complete sense if you attended school when you were younger. And try ignore as you suggested many times. Its like a car crash. You cant stop looking. Your posts are funny.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

PASS

Not hard for GWS to trade well when they are bulging with young talent. They identified a hole in their list that Petracca could fill and could not get the deal done, now they have 3 more top 10s at a time they need to reduce their list size whilst re sign young guns. Not the ideal scenario for them. Glad we held our nerve in an even draft where there appears no definitive order from picks 6 to 25. I think this years draft will see all clubs trotting out the line, "Very happy with our selections, they were the players we targeted.", and actually mean it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:PASS

Not hard for GWS to trade well when they are bulging with young talent. They identified a hole in their list that Petracca could fill and could not get the deal done, now they have 3 more top 10s at a time they need to reduce their list size whilst re sign young guns. Not the ideal scenario for them. Glad we held our nerve in an even draft where there appears no definitive order from picks 6 to 25. I think this years draft will see all clubs trotting out the line, "Very happy with our selections, they were the players we targeted.", and actually mean it.

next year guys...next year

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/adam-t ... 7093960529

"Stars out of contract at the end of 2015 at the Giants include Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Coniglio, Toby Greene, Tomlinson, Buntine and Will Hoskin-Elliott.

GWS boss Dave Matthews said this week he knew some “wild offers” were coming but believed the Giants would keep their list together.

“We understand there are some wild offers that get made,” Matthews said. “Melbourne clubs have been into our players as we know. We have a talented group, a strong culture, a good coach and we are improving all the time. So it’s a good place to be"
Last edited by stinger on Sat 18 Oct 2014 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
remboy wrote:

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

"

His opinion counts for as much as yours or mine. That's all these articles are - someone's opinion. The true value of trading and drafting usually isn't known until a few years down the track when players true value is realised. Nobody has a magic crystal ball that lets them see the future in advance.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
stinger wrote:
remboy wrote:

"ST KILDA — DISTINCTION

"

His opinion counts for as much as yours or mine. That's all these articles are - someone's opinion. The true value of trading and drafting usually isn't known until a few years down the track when players true value is realised. Nobody has a magic crystal ball that lets them see the future in advance.

agree with you 100% there... :D