Quick poll: How do you feel about the Rhys trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

How are you feeling in the wake of the Rhys Stanley trade?

Good, I didn't rate him
8%
Good, I rated him but I think pick 21 is good compensation
28%
OK, you have to make tough decisions during a rebuild
32%
Bad, I rated him and I think pick 21 is not enough
16%
Bad, I rated him highly and didn't want him traded
10%
Bad, I don't think we have a natural replacement for him
6%

Total votes: 144

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quick poll: How do you feel about the Rhys trade?

ChelseaGuy wrote:Footy is a ruthless business and Saints need to make hard nosed decisions - hope they are the right ones and we don't end up as a feeder club for the top teams

that's exactly what we are at the moment.......geelong, hawthorn, north melbourne, essendon, adelaide, west coast and collingwood have all topped up at our expense in the past 5 seasons

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I'm very disappointed to lose him.
A gamble on Stanley really coming good is significantly less of a gamble than on pick 21 coming good.
I think 21 is a poor return.

depends ... he had 6 years to "come good" the delivery to him isnt going to get any better any time soon in fact its prob going to get worse now Lennys gone ...

Pick 21 could be anything Stanley for 6 years has been just Stanley .. we had to send him away now while his value was at its highest cause after another meh year Stanley only becomes a pick in the 30's

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
A gamble on Stanley really coming good is significantly less of a gamble than on pick 21 coming good.

depends ... he had 6 years to "come good" the delivery to him isnt going to get any better any time soon in fact its prob going to get worse now Lennys gone ...

Pick 21 could be anything Stanley for 6 years has been just Stanley .. we had to send him away now while his value was at its highest cause after another meh year Stanley only becomes a pick in the 30's
That's rubbish trav…
He's 23 years old, pretty well known that guys his size take years to "come good"
He has been clearly improving

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:look i think Rhys was a great guy always friendly and very polite but he is too gentle ... it is like he didnt believe he was the size he was really lacking in the agro and arrogance that you need to be a powerful player

pick 21 is good for him - he will prob kick more goals for geelong and look like a revelation with the ball coming to him off the boot of selwood Bartel etc but thats not the point its not how good he becomes over there its how good would he have become with us and i would say we would have got exactly what we have seen from rhys over the last 6 years for the next 6 years had he stayed so while he may go on to better things with geelong i doubt he would have done anything with us

not happy but content with the trade ... good work team

that's pure guess work on your part......no one would know how good he was until he regularly became the focus up forward ...after roo had retired.....
for 6 years he had guys like Lenny Dal Joey delivering the ball into the forward line while he had Roo pulling the two best defenders and he couldnt make his mark you think suddenly when he has a lesser midfield delivering it to him and Roo not there he is going to become a super star ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:quick someone call the Waaaambulance .....
you have always got to get personal don't you????? :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:look i think Rhys was a great guy always friendly and very polite but he is too gentle ... it is like he didnt believe he was the size he was really lacking in the agro and arrogance that you need to be a powerful player

pick 21 is good for him - he will prob kick more goals for geelong and look like a revelation with the ball coming to him off the boot of selwood Bartel etc but thats not the point its not how good he becomes over there its how good would he have become with us and i would say we would have got exactly what we have seen from rhys over the last 6 years for the next 6 years had he stayed so while he may go on to better things with geelong i doubt he would have done anything with us

not happy but content with the trade ... good work team

that's pure guess work on your part......no one would know how good he was until he regularly became the focus up forward ...after roo had retired.....
for 6 years he had guys like Lenny Dal Joey delivering the ball into the forward line while he had Roo pulling the two best defenders and he couldnt make his mark you think suddenly when he has a lesser midfield delivering it to him and Roo not there he is going to become a super star ??

saints delivery into the forward line is the worst in the afl...every one knows that...just ask roo if you don't believe me......in addition...the players always kick it to roo...even when stanley was on his own......guess you don't get to many saints games.....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

That's rubbish trav…
He's 23 years old, pretty well known that guys his size take years to "come good"
is he though ?
yes he is getting more marks per game but is he effecting the outcome of the game ? even in his stand out game last year against Freo he went missing for the second half ..
i have full respect for Rhys cause he is a lovely kid but a superstar he isnt and as i said the delivery he would have got next year with lenny gone was going to be worse then any previous years he has faced right now a move for him to a team with a more solid midfield will see his game come on leaps and bounds another year with us would have him stagnating ... pick 21 for him is a good return we win - geelong win and Stanley wins ....

andrewg
Club Player

In light of recent news on draft picks, pick 1and Rhys for pick 4,6,7,21,22 and 41 is petty good:)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Current conclusion: Two thirds of people are fine with it. A very vocal minority are less happy. Sounds about right.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Very happy the Cats picked him up, only one team would have made me happier if they had of picked him up and thats' Collingwood.
Last edited by mordiboyz on Wed 15 Oct 2014 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I rate Rhys as a nice young man, one who has shown loyalty to the club. Sadly, Like many others, I find his lack of aggression, and second efforts for too many games over his time with us, to be adequate reason to trade him. I have nothing against the guy, and wish him well. As for this trade having any bearing on whether or not I'll renew my membership? I'll renew regardless of who we trade or recruit. I'm a member of the CLUB, and that will always be bigger than any individual.
I have similar sentiment. I have been critical of him with the caution that 2 metre key forward ruckmen with his pace don't grow on trees and don't mature overnight.

His game against Freo will go down in history as his one and only four quarter performance for the Saints. Sure, he tantalised. His mark, play on and goal late in the season (forget against who) was a glimpse of what he can do.

Regardless, Pelch and Co can be satisfied with gaining 3 draft picks in the top 22. Tim Membrey (a gun according to all my mates who watched him at Traralgon) might be gained for nicks.

I can't get sentimental over Rhys. I hoped and wished he would come through for us, and hope he does for Geelong, but my patience ran out in the last half a dozen games. On the upside, the Saints brain trust have stuck to their plan and we can look forward to the Draft with optimism.

Saint supporter since '62
dragit
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dragit wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

That's rubbish trav…
is he though ?
yes he is getting more marks per game but is he effecting the outcome of the game ? even in his stand out game last year against Freo he went missing for the second half ..
i have full respect for Rhys cause he is a lovely kid but a superstar he isnt and as i said the delivery he would have got next year with lenny gone was going to be worse then any previous years he has faced right now a move for him to a team with a more solid midfield will see his game come on leaps and bounds another year with us would have him stagnating ... pick 21 for him is a good return we win - geelong win and Stanley wins ....
Yes he is improving, it's plain as day… in nearly every single facet
disposals, marks, contested marks, hitouts, tackles, goals, shots on goal etc etc

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be a superstar, not every player we keep on the list is… in fact barely any. Right now he has been playing an important that we don't have anyone else to fulfil.

As far as delivery goes, we are atrocious, it would be unfair to suggest that he has benefited from good supply.

I think pick 21 is good return, just not sure if we have any coverage for ruck/forward & I get a bit disappointed whenever we spend years developing a player to then trade them just as they are coming good.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Like all trading periods you have to look at the totality.

This trade in itself I do not like.

But for example we trade 1, 22 for 4,6 and 7 then I am ok with it.

McCartin, then two mids and then McKenzie

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:[
Yes he is improving, it's plain as day… in nearly every single facet
disposals, marks, contested marks, hitouts, tackles, goals, shots on goal etc etc

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be a superstar, not every player we keep on the list is… in fact barely any. Right now he has been playing an important that we don't have anyone else to fulfil.

As far as delivery goes, we are atrocious, it would be unfair to suggest that he has benefited from good supply.

I think pick 21 is good return, just not sure if we have any coverage for ruck/forward & I get a bit disappointed whenever we spend years developing a player to then trade them just as they are coming good.

fair comments

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Like all trading periods you have to look at the totality.

mccartin will be gone in the first three picks.....

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Strange the Hillbillies chose Rhys. :?

Yes, Hawkins needs help, but they already had more ruckman than they could fit in, and then they got Mitch Clark...

If Clarke holds up, then barring injuries, Rhys is really going to have to pull his finger out, and develop a bit of 'hunger for the contest', to get a game.

He's clearly go the ability, but has he got the fire...?

We've all been hoping on that one for a while, but now it's up to the Hillbillies to find the answer.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Like all trading periods you have to look at the totality.

mccartin will be gone in the first three picks.....
At least that would provide some small solace, Sting... :wink:

(And hi sRs, why would we also give them pick 22?
And I don't see Cameron's name there.
We have what they want, not the other way round.
No deal from me.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Strange the Hillbillies chose Rhys. :?

Yes, Hawkins needs help, but they already had more ruckman than they could fit in, and then they got Mitch Clark...

If Clarke holds up, then barring injuries, Rhys is really going to have to pull his finger out, and develop a bit of 'hunger for the contest', to get a game.

He's clearly go the ability, but has he got the fire...?

We've all been hoping on that one for a while, but now it's up to the Hillbillies to find the answer.
I was only listening in the background, but did Scott Lucas (his manager) hint at CHB?

If that's the case, and it works, some may owe SW an apology ;)