Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

LTN16 wrote:At first I thought pick 21 wouldn't be enough for Stanley but if Essendon are only going to get picks 17 & 37 for Ryder then 21 wouldn't be bad for Rhys.
Difference is that Ryder walked. Stanley was happy at the Club.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Big Footy saying the deal is done - Stanley & 60 for 21.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Zed wrote:If a 23 year old ruck/ forward with a great kick and quite a few games under his belt was available at another club what would we be offering? This forum would be screaming about why we weren't all over him.

Trading for tradings sake .

Dumb
i agree with you...but hey...that's the pelican being true to form...
What is the advantage here?

A Pick 21 is no certainty. Just look at our recent picks in the twenties.

There is no multi-deal here. So we are only getting one player for one player. If it was Stanley for 2 players you might be able to understand it. As t is it is Stanley plus a pick at 60 which is still a chance of finding a player.

Stanley plays the relief ruck forward role quite well despite many people not rating him. Personally I think that is because they are comparing him to Roo, rather than to other players playing the second ruck/forward role where he stacks up quite well. He has a reasonable chance of being better, but even if not he goes ok at present in that role.

One can only assume that someone like Pierce is being preferred.

I certainly hope that it is not a Hickey/Longer combo. It is either/or with those two as far as I am concerned.

How much will it cost to trade in another No2 ruck/forward in the future?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 15 Oct 2014 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like it's in Rhys's hands now. If he is happy to go the deal will get done.

Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Big Footy saying the deal is done - Stanley & 60 for 21.

I was kind of hoping wed use 60 on Membrey. But now looks like we might walk Membrey through the PSD which is also fine (I dont want to have to use 41 on him).

Id like us to work very hard on pick 41.

The Pet man probably picks himself - so where the the recruiters will make us or break us is 21, 22, 41.

The medium term future of the club lies in those picks. Lets make no mistake on that.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
LTN16 wrote:At first I thought pick 21 wouldn't be enough for Stanley but if Essendon are only going to get picks 17 & 37 for Ryder then 21 wouldn't be bad for Rhys.
Do you know for a fact that he is happy at the club do you?

Playon
Club Player

Ameet Bains live chat
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-10-1 ... bainslive-
Roughly said...
"A number of clubs have made inquiries over the trade period into Stanley and have got stronger over the last couple of days,
As a club were exploring ...(cant make it out) and whether something might eventuate, but its a bit premature to comment specifically on Reece and I think within the article (the age) there was some reference to a trade being done, which is not quite the case."

Holding out for more? May not happen? Something else needs to fall into place first? Waiting on other clubs offers to improve?
Doesn't sound like a done deal yet, at least not for pick 21

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:
Zed wrote:If a 23 year old ruck/ forward with a great kick and quite a few games under his belt was available at another club what would we be offering? This forum would be screaming about why we weren't all over him.

Dumb

There is no multi-deal here. So we are only getting one player for one player. If it was Stanley for 2 players you might be able to understand it. As t is it is Stanley plus a pick at 60 which is still a chance of finding a player.

Stanley plays the relief ruck forward role quite well despite many people not rating him. Personally I think that is because they are comparing him to Roo, rather than to other players playing the second ruck/forward role where he stacks up quite well. He has a reasonable chance of being better, but even if not he goes ok at present in that role.

I certainly hope that it is not a Hickey/Longer combo. It is either/or with those two as far as I am concerned.

Agree - it is a risky move SR.

The way I see it we now have 21/22/41 and simply HAVE to get 2/3 of those picks right. 1/3 will be bad for us. 0/3 catastrophic. We get 2/3 good players and we are ahead.
I just hope the recruitnemt staff have been working their asses off all year and looking all over the country for talent - Not just being lazy and watching only TAC cup.

Critical draft coming up for us. We will remember this years draft one way or another for years to come. If we stuff it up it will stuff us up. If we do well we will remember it fondly.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 15 Oct 2014 10:36am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

He wants to stay or certainly wanted too on B&F night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

There you go straight from the mouth of our resident players best 'mate'.
So must be fact.

(Cos players are going to say publicly at a b&f night to fans that they want to leave :lol: ).

Out of interest here is a tweet from Tom Boyd

Tom Boyd@Tom_Boyd17 · Aug 31

That's an unbelievable testament to the culture and people our club is building, what a win. #standtall

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Boyd also tweeted how happy he was at the Giants after the final H&A game.

Many players are happy, but $$ sweetner and a chance to play finals will probably make him happier.

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:

Dumb

the pelican is just degrading our list further...doesn't want any repeat performances of rhys starring against freo for an unexpected win....wants the no 1 pick again next year it would seem...no benefit to the saints at all in trading stanlely for f****** pick 21 imho..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:...but hey ...must mean we are keeoing pick 1....
Last edited by stinger on Wed 15 Oct 2014 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
4ever_saint
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Many players are happy, but $$ sweetner and a chance to play finals will probably make him happier.
All he has to do is look at his mate Ben McEvoy who was gutted to leave the Saints but is now a premiership player ;)

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Chris wrote:Big Footy saying the deal is done - Stanley & 60 for 21.

I was kind of hoping wed use 60 on Membrey. But now looks like we might walk Membrey through the PSD which is also fine (I dont want to have to use 41 on him).

Id like us to work very hard on pick 41.

The Pet man probably picks himself - so where the the recruiters will make us or break us is 21, 22, 41.

The medium term future of the club lies in those picks. Lets make no mistake on that.
Or we'd use 60 for Saad....

I reckon we've got Caleb Daniel in our sights for 41.....

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I think that people need to thing bigger picture and longer term, not just next season.

Just maybe our brains trust saw enough from Pierce by the end of the season to decide he would go past Stanley within the next one to two seasons, which makes Stanley dispensable, particularly if he has currency. Make no mistake, we need to get young talent into our list, and plenty of it. The only way to do that at an accelerated rate is to gain extra picks, and there are limited means to gain extra picks. One of the main ones is to trade existing players for picks and in that department we have very little currency that we can afford to part with, and I would guess that Stanley is unfortunately considered the currency we can most afford to lose, particularly if the brains trust thinks that Peirce can replace soon enough and the pick we get for Stanley can be tuned into a desperately needed midfielder or key backman....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Only tellling you what I knew 6 weeks ago. What I will say though is people saying Seaford is to far away to recruit players must wonder why Stanley would move. He lives about 30 minutes from Seaford and about 90 minutes from Geelong.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

I have also heard great things about Spencer White and the training he has been doing during his holidays. If he keeps going at his current rate he could replace Rhys by next season......
Last edited by Dis Believer on Wed 15 Oct 2014 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hope now if the deal is done we get a very good player for him. I really rate Pierce so I guess they might as well trade Rhys. I hope it's not in vain. As long as we don't get a guy who in 4 years time is still developing. I think politically we had better go for a mid so we don't have people coming for Pelchen and Bains. Geelong have done well, he has enormous potential.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

very god points tb

im still not f****** happy tho

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Has this been confirmed yet?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints94
SS Life Member

FWIW - Brian Speaking said on BF last night that his hearing Fremantle's first round pick 15 to us for Rhys Stanley.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:FWIW - Brian Speaking said on BF last night that his hearing Fremantle's first round pick 15 to us for Rhys Stanley.
Won't happen

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:FWIW - Brian Speaking said on BF last night that his hearing Fremantle's first round pick 15 to us for Rhys Stanley.

If we could do that I would be stoked.........

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: Only tellling you what I knew 6 weeks ago. What I will say though is people saying Seaford is to far away to recruit players must wonder why Stanley would move. He lives about 30 minutes from Seaford and about 90 minutes from Geelong.

You are able to move houses did you know..

matrix
Saintsational Legend

rhys and pick 41 to adelaide for pick 10
or
rhys and pick 22 to adelaide for pick 10

seeing as a lot of peeps dont rate him its in effect swapping 10 for 22 with a so called average player

could be what adelaide need
they have one forward and one ruckman
rhys is an sa boy

if youre going to get rid of him anyway, speak to the crows