Hypothetical Trade & Draft Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Hypothetical Trade & Draft Period

This is just Hypothetical, made up on rumours.

As you all know we are "apparently" keen on Kristian Jacksch & Jono O'Rourke from GWS.

There's also a rumour on the AFL website that we are into Jarryd Lyons from Adelaide.

Lets say the following happened. What would people's thoughts be?

1. Pick 1 & 38 to GWS in exchange for Jaksch, O'Rourke, picks 4 & 21
2. Terry Milera to Adelaide in exchange for Lyons
3. National Draft Picks 4, 21 & 22

- 4. Patrick McCartin Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 95 kg, DOB: 19/04/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Player comparison: Jonathan Brown/Taylor Walker

McCartin is a genuine, old-fashioned full forward. He busts through packs, takes big contested grabs, inspires with his courage and is always the source of headaches for the opposition. He’d add the perfect dynamic to the beanpole, athletic and agile talls already at the club, and looms still very much in the frame for the number one pick. It was a frustrating year for Patrick McCartin who suffered niggles throughout the season that robbed him of a consistency and a clean run, all unfortunately coming at important times of the year. He was hampered by a quad complaint throughout the National Championships, and was struck down with an adductor strain in the qualifying final a fortnight ago. Ultimately, it meant he missed the semi-final, in which the Falcons bowed out in. When fully fit, McCartin is unstoppable: he’s an aerial threat and he demands the opposition’s best defender.

- 21. Lachlan Weller
Position: Midfielder
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 23/02/1996
Club: Broadbeach
Projected draft range: 6-15
Player comparison: Dayne Beams

Incredibly underrated and by far one of the most polished kicks of the draft, Lachie Weller’s outside polish will address the need for speed and outside flair for the Suns. A brilliant decision maker and a player that goes about it with a certain flair, Weller has been part of Gold Coast’s Academy. However, he is ineligible to be selected by them in the bidding process, given he hasn’t resided in Queensland long enough to warrant a zone selection. Weller is arguably the most well-rounded and refined midfielder in this year’s draft crop. The medium-sized midfielder wins his own ball on the inside, and can hurt the opposition on the outside. An exciting speedster that is pure silk, Weller makes good decisions with the ball in hand: however, it was his work-ethic, gut-running and efficient link up play that dominated the National Championships in division two.

- 22. Tom Lamb
Position: Forward/midfielder
Height: 192 cm, Weight: 83 kg, DOB: 19/10/1996
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Projected draft range: 6-25
Player comparison: Brendon Goddard

Tom Lamb’s biggest bug bear is his body language and attitude. Despite this along with a mixed bag of form during the National Championships, Lamb is still very much in the frame to be a first round selection, but I’ve got him sliding here to the second round. As much as it separates the cream of the crop on offer towards the pointy end of the draft, the National Carnival also has a habit of exposing areas of weakness in players. For Lamb, it showed us a frustrating conundrum in Lamb’s game, whereby he could pull off something stunning, and follow it up with a butchered kick, a stray handball or just an inability to apply himself for four quarters. Despite these inconsistencies, he still offers plenty. At ground level, Lamb is solid, given he tracks the ball well for a player of his size and uses the ball well by hand. His marking game, particularly contested, mirrors that of what key forwards are offering up this year. He reads the ball well in flight, and although he can sometimes double grab a mark rather than take it cleanly, he still marks well both overhead and out in front. Although Lamb’s kicking efficiency around the ground might be his weakness at this stage, he understands the momentum of the game, and often plays on when he can, backing his speed, athleticism and thumping kick to propel his team into attack. Above all, the big tick for Lamb is his versatility.

Saints end up with Jacksch, O'Rourke, Lyons, McCartin, L. Weller & Lamb.

I have to say I'd be pretty happy with this!
Last edited by sax on Mon 29 Sep 2014 4:01pm, edited 4 times in total.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Hyperthetical Trade & Draft Period

GWS will most likely end up with pick 4 which would probably not be McCartin, and even if it is, we would have no way of knowing that prior to the trade. Together with the unproven Jaksch and O'Rourke this trade is far too speculative to offer the value deserving of a pick 1. I would not be happy if this happened.

Hypothetical**

sax
Club Player

FQF wrote:GWS will most likely end up with pick 4 which would probably not be McCartin, and even if it is, we would have no way of knowing that prior to the trade. Together with the unproven Jaksch and O'Rourke this trade is far too speculative to offer the value deserving of a pick 1. I would not be happy if this happened.

Hypothetical**

I actually think McCartin would be there at pick 4. I think Melbourne will take Brayshaw & White. Losing Frawley they may even look at Lever!

The one out of the three I don't think will happen is Weller sliding to 20!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just a couple of things on that. Firstly its just about certain GWS will get pick 4 because Melbourne will probably get 3 as compensation. Secondly unfortunately I doubt Milera is worth anything at all but I would like Lyons. His outside run would be great for us. Got doubts on Jacksch and JOR as well.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Still trading with GWS, I would prefer Pick one and a player them, for pick 3/4, Whitfield, (or Cameron) , and maybe their third round (40) which could be used in a trade with a player to get a pick in the range 25/30.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:This is just Hyperthetical, made up on rumours.

As you all know we are "apparently" keen on Kristian Jacksch & Jono O'Rourke from GWS.

There's also a rumour on the AFL website that we are into Jarryd Lyons from Adelaide.

Lets say the following happened. What would people's thoughts be?

1. Pick 1 & 38 to GWS in exchange for Jaksch, O'Rourke, picks 3 & 20
2. Terry Milera to Adelaide in exchange for Lyons
3. National Draft Picks 3, 20 & 21

- 3. Patrick McCartin Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 95 kg, DOB: 19/04/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Player comparison: Jonathan Brown/Taylor Walker

McCartin is a genuine, old-fashioned full forward. He busts through packs, takes big contested grabs, inspires with his courage and is always the source of headaches for the opposition. He’d add the perfect dynamic to the beanpole, athletic and agile talls already at the club, and looms still very much in the frame for the number one pick. It was a frustrating year for Patrick McCartin who suffered niggles throughout the season that robbed him of a consistency and a clean run, all unfortunately coming at important times of the year. He was hampered by a quad complaint throughout the National Championships, and was struck down with an adductor strain in the qualifying final a fortnight ago. Ultimately, it meant he missed the semi-final, in which the Falcons bowed out in. When fully fit, McCartin is unstoppable: he’s an aerial threat and he demands the opposition’s best defender.

- 20. Lachlan Weller
Position: Midfielder
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 23/02/1996
Club: Broadbeach
Projected draft range: 6-15
Player comparison: Dayne Beams

Incredibly underrated and by far one of the most polished kicks of the draft, Lachie Weller’s outside polish will address the need for speed and outside flair for the Suns. A brilliant decision maker and a player that goes about it with a certain flair, Weller has been part of Gold Coast’s Academy. However, he is ineligible to be selected by them in the bidding process, given he hasn’t resided in Queensland long enough to warrant a zone selection. Weller is arguably the most well-rounded and refined midfielder in this year’s draft crop. The medium-sized midfielder wins his own ball on the inside, and can hurt the opposition on the outside. An exciting speedster that is pure silk, Weller makes good decisions with the ball in hand: however, it was his work-ethic, gut-running and efficient link up play that dominated the National Championships in division two.

- 21. Tom Lamb
Position: Forward/midfielder
Height: 192 cm, Weight: 83 kg, DOB: 19/10/1996
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Projected draft range: 6-25
Player comparison: Brendon Goddard

Tom Lamb’s biggest bug bear is his body language and attitude. Despite this along with a mixed bag of form during the National Championships, Lamb is still very much in the frame to be a first round selection, but I’ve got him sliding here to the second round. As much as it separates the cream of the crop on offer towards the pointy end of the draft, the National Carnival also has a habit of exposing areas of weakness in players. For Lamb, it showed us a frustrating conundrum in Lamb’s game, whereby he could pull off something stunning, and follow it up with a butchered kick, a stray handball or just an inability to apply himself for four quarters. Despite these inconsistencies, he still offers plenty. At ground level, Lamb is solid, given he tracks the ball well for a player of his size and uses the ball well by hand. His marking game, particularly contested, mirrors that of what key forwards are offering up this year. He reads the ball well in flight, and although he can sometimes double grab a mark rather than take it cleanly, he still marks well both overhead and out in front. Although Lamb’s kicking efficiency around the ground might be his weakness at this stage, he understands the momentum of the game, and often plays on when he can, backing his speed, athleticism and thumping kick to propel his team into attack. Above all, the big tick for Lamb is his versatility.

Saints end up with Jacksch, O'Rourke, Lyons, McCartin, L. Weller & Lamb.

I have to say I'd be pretty happy with this!

I don't mind the look of that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pretty impressive post sax.

I think it is an unlikely scenario - but i like the way you have 'gone about' your post. Well laid out presentation. Odds are we will just go the conventional path and take the Pet man. But with Pelchen - you just never know. He doesnt mind complex deals like this one.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Sold!!!!!

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hypothetical Trade & Draft Period

the thread heading needs some editing :-)

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'd be devastated with part 1 of that hypothetical! :(

Mc Cartin does not take pack marks. Relies on leading. Can play only at full forward. IMHO will probably struggle to make it in the AFL... period. I would not pick him... period.

I agree with Pluggs. Not yet sold on the perceived high value of J & JOR either.

Any deal involving the Wogans getting our No 1 pick (Petracca)... starts with Cameron, then they can start to negotiate what else they will give us.

No 1 pick. We have it. They want it. Vendor's market. The buyer pays overs!

To any fellow Saintsationalists who disagree with that attitude, I say that is your right, and discussion/debate is a major reason for forums like our's... however..., if you ever have anything of substantial value up for sale... please contact me, as I'd like to make you an offer. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
sax
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:the thread heading needs some editing :-)
Done!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I'd be devastated with part 1 of that hypothetical! :(

Mc Cartin does not take pack marks. Relies on leading. Can play only at full forward. IMHO will probably struggle to make it in the AFL... period. I would not pick him... period.

I agree with Pluggs. Not yet sold on the perceived high value of J & JOR either.

Any deal involving the Wogans getting our No 1 pick (Petracca)... starts with Cameron, then they can start to negotiate what else they will give us.

To any fellow Saintsationalists who disagree with that attitude, I say that is your right, and discussion/debate is a major reason for forums like our's... however..., if you ever have anything of substantial value up for sale... please contact me, as I'd like to make you an offer. :wink:

You also don't turn your nose at an offer just because you want much more than the true worth if it actually effects your side just because of some silly principal. By the way the days of needing a pack marking forward are over so that is hardly a reason not to get McCartin. I mean to even slightly suggest they need to give us more than Cameron is like trying to sell a 500K house for a million.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

You also don't turn your nose at an offer just because you want much more than the true worth if it actually effects your side just because of some silly principal. By the way the days of needing a pack marking forward are over so that is hardly a reason not to get McCartin. I mean to even slightly suggest they need to give us more than Cameron is like trying to sell a 500K house for a million.
No, it's like trying to sell a 500K house for a million in circumstances that the million will be taken for no compensation in a year from now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

All I will say at this stage is this.

None of us here know anything about what is really going on behind the scenes. What proof do any of us have that GWS desperately want pick 1?

Because a lot of these theoretical are based on just that assumption.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No, it's like trying to sell a 500K house for a million in circumstances that the million will be taken for no compensation in a year from now.
And the last star to go for nothing in the PSD was? And does he want out in a year from now? And if we don't win a game next season how are we even on the radar what ever money we offered him. You take the stars when you can and if the rumour that GWS want pick one now then that's when you get the best player you can.