did the crowd of invaders cost us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: did the crowd of invaders cost us

We'll obviously never know, but I reckon if we won we would have gone on to win it.

We would have been massive underdogs and the Lions would have probably taken us lightly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We'll obviously never know, but I reckon if we won we would have gone on to win it.

We would have been massive underdogs and the Lions would have probably taken us lightly.
I reckon we would have got done like a dinner by Brisbane. They absolutely owned us that year. Both times we played them we were on the wrong ends of royal hidings.

2005 was the Grand Final we needed to make. The Eagles were ripe for the picking.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
jamesmc
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We were dominating until the crowd ran onto the ground.
We won a few clearances and kicked a few goals. Dominating is being ten goals up. What were we - two or three?

We started well but it was no more than that. Games last four quarters, not 15 minutes.

And we led at 3Qtr time, having fought back hard in the third. Didn't seem to affect us then. I think a lot of people have forgotten that.

Blaming the crowd is a fairly convenient argument, though an incorrect one, and certainly one that needs correcting.
couldn't agree more [ with both you posts ].

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We'll obviously never know, but I reckon if we won we would have gone on to win it.

I reckon we would have got done like a dinner by Brisbane. They absolutely owned us that year. Both times we played them we were on the wrong ends of royal hidings.

2005 was the Grand Final we needed to make. The Eagles were ripe for the picking.
That was in Brisbane. Both times we played them up at the Gabba they smashed us.

Down in Melbourne though, it was a different story. We beat them early in the year and the year before as well.

They were also traveling consecutive weeks to Melbourne and just had a hard slog in the wet against Geelong the week before so I think they were toast.

We nearly beat Port at AAMI and Port blew away a tired Brisbane in the second half of the GF. Based on that logic, I think we would have had a very reasonable chance. We would have been massive underdogs and this would have worked in our favour.

Also, Grant Thomas has said he was holding something back in the first final up in the Gabba. Not sure how true this is.

Just my opinion and obviously we will never know but I like to think it was our big chance. In 2005, we got blown away in the last quarter when the heat was really on and we did not even get close.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Revisionism - We got thrashed twice by the Lions in a month, and then again in round 1 the following year. WE are not Port - they had finished on top of the ladder for something like three years before that GF.
In 2005 we did get close, but playing injured players (again) hurt us.
If you're going to give a history lesson, get it right.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Revisionism - We got thrashed twice by the Lions in a month, and then again in round 1 the following year. WE are not Port - they had finished on top of the ladder for something like three years before that GF.
In 2005 we did get close, but playing injured players (again) hurt us.
If you're going to give a history lesson, get it right.
Spare me the friggin lecture lecture enlightened one....I was giving an informed opinion; not a history lesson.

The 3 games you mentioned were in Brisbane. Saints defeated Lions in Melbourne in 2003 and 2004.

Getting smashed and completely over run in the last quarter of a prelim final when it counts, injuries not withstanding, is not my idea of getting close to winning a flag...so you get it right bushi bushi.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:I was at the ground for that game and it was the prevailing view amongst those in my vicinity that there was a big momentum shift against the Saints after the crowd invasion. It allowed Port to settle and get back into the game. That may have happened anyway, but it certainly helped Port and not St Kilda.
Why wasn't there proper security to stop the invasion?

I blame the AFL and ground management. It was an interstate final - not like they had to control 20,000 fans!

How can you stop them? Its impossible if they want to run out. You really love blaming people. Is that your day job as well?
So if you have 50 security guys ringing the stadium and announcements re fines for ground invasions you don't think that helps?

You really are a bit simple at times plugs.

Perhaps as a poster above stated most of the people on the ground were Port fans intent on having a bit of fun during the game and they were totally unprepared/not expecting for that to happen.

I don't believe we'd see a similar thing at Etihad or the G, on the off chance someone kicks a ton again.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:I was at the ground for that game and it was the prevailing view amongst those in my vicinity that there was a big momentum shift against the Saints after the crowd invasion. It allowed Port to settle and get back into the game. That may have happened anyway, but it certainly helped Port and not St Kilda.
Why wasn't there proper security to stop the invasion?

I blame the AFL and ground management. It was an interstate final - not like they had to control 20,000 fans!

How can you stop them? Its impossible if they want to run out. You really love blaming people. Is that your day job as well?
So if you have 50 security guys ringing the stadium and announcements re fines for ground invasions you don't think that helps?

You really are a bit simple at times plugs.

Perhaps as a poster above stated most of the people on the ground were Port fans intent on having a bit of fun during the game and they were totally unprepared/not expecting for that to happen.

I don't believe we'd see a similar thing at Etihad or the G, on the off chance someone kicks a ton again.

Were you there? There was security and announcements. Your memory is also failing. Franklin kicked his 100 at Etihad and even the cameraman ran onto the ground.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I reckon Roger James was why we got rolled, moreso than the crown running on.

We were absolutely dominating, but he kept them in it and we leaked a couple of easy goals against the tide. You can dominate and score, but when you're dominating if the opposition is able to score easily also, it gives them huge confidence that they're still in it.
That's the guy who's name I couldn't remember- James had a strong game and especially the last quarter and really kept them in it, and the combination of our midfield dropping away and our small forwards inability to get the ball in the last 15 mins of the last quarter, gave PA the advantage.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good lord
hindsight

wheres bigmart
he was capt hindsight

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

A million things happen over 120 minutes in a game of footy.

Yes, momentum is a big thing, but I'm not convinced Port weren't going to fight back anyway, especially after their previous finals' disasters. Yet there was also no reason for us not to keep going. We tried. Weren't good enough; they just had a bit too much over the four quarters.

Milne giving nothing, Roger James running amok, Gavin Wanganeen's goals, Aaron Hammil's late withdrawal and Trent Knobel's first three quarters (before winning an impressive 14 hit-outs in the last quarter) hurt us infinitely more. Not that anyone remembers these things. They get brushed aside against the more colourful and entertaining theory that the crowd won Port the match.

I just wish we were a bigger and better footy club to get the job done on the night sans excuses for things that happen in the first quarter.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:A million things happen over 120 minutes in a game of footy.

Yes, momentum is a big thing, but I'm not convinced Port weren't going to fight back anyway, especially after their previous finals' disasters. Yet there was also no reason for us not to keep going. We tried. Weren't good enough; they just had a bit too much over the four quarters.

Milne giving nothing, Roger James running amok, Gavin Wanganeen's goals, Aaron Hammil's late withdrawal and Trent Knobel's first three quarters (before winning an impressive 14 hit-outs in the last quarter) hurt us infinitely more. Not that anyone remembers these things. They get brushed aside against the more colourful and entertaining theory that the crowd won Port the match.

I just wish we were a bigger and better footy club to get the job done on the night sans excuses for things that happen in the first quarter.
weren't one of the ground invaders per chance mate.????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I too was at the game and watched on in disbelief as the crowd invaded the ground. I thought that surely only a PA supporter would run out now, or just a blind fool saint supporter who had no idea about footy. Stevie baker's dad then admits he was part of it!! I'd be too ashamed. He was a small part of costing his son a chance to play in a GF and poss a premiership. And for what? For what? I still get furious thinking about it today.

Ppl forget - PA were massive chokers. Massive! We had them on the ropes. It was early yes, but we were completely dominating. In a sport as competitive and even as the AFL is, this one little thing can be all it takes.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Almost as big a momentum changer as the hore lacy idiot that pulled the nets down with the soccerroos 2-0 up vs Iran and on their way to the World Cup.
Think supporters went to the game primed to run on when the 100th happened - and unfortunately for us, it happened at the worst time.
As for the final - Brisbane were cooked by that game - ran out of legs early. We would've overrun them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:Almost as big a momentum changer as the hore lacy idiot that pulled the nets down with the soccerroos 2-0 up vs Iran and on their way to the World Cup.
Hoare Lacy was a QC Peter Hoare wa the serial pest
desertsaint wrote:Think supporters went to the game primed to run on when the 100th happened - and unfortunately for us, it happened at the worst time.
Yes dickheads will be dickheads
desertsaint wrote:As for the final - Brisbane were cooked by that game - ran out of legs early. We would've overrun them.
Too right Brisbane were totally cooked. We would have won in a canter

You are garbage - Enough said
older saint
SS Life Member

The momentum was definitely lost in the first qtr and was critical with the fragile mental state of the port player that had they been 5 down at 1/4 time they were shot. That said i tend to agree with an earlier person who noted the lost games vs Bulldogs and someone else mid year lost momentum nd cost us a top 2 finish and a home prelim. In the end Wangeeen class was the difference. 2005 was a bigger missed chance with MCG , but injured players playing and no defensive game plan allowed Okeefe to tear Voss a new one and no ruck man allowed the clearances in the last qtr to go all sydney's way

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Can I just ask this wee question; just WHAT is the point of the OP? I mean for God's sake it was TEN ( yes! TEN!) years ago just what is the point of whinging and bitching about what MIGHT have been? Could this sort of thinking be at the root of our ( perceived) " cultural " issues?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I was there.
The crowd invasion had absolutely nothing to do with the result.
If we had of won, we would have beaten Brisbane the next week.
If we had of kicked straight early in the 2009 GF, we would have won.
If the Hawkins poster had not been given a goal, we would have probably won also.
If Roo had not been run down in 2010 we might have won.
If Lenny's kick had bounced straight, we would have won.

The crowd invasion cost us nothing!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Almost as big a momentum changer as the hore lacy idiot that pulled the nets down with the soccerroos 2-0 up vs Iran and on their way to the World Cup.
Hoare Lacy was a QC Peter Hoare wa the serial pest
ha, sometimes it pays to use google instead of my fading memory. apologies to Hoare Lacy :)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Can I just ask this wee question; just WHAT is the point of the OP? I mean for God's sake it was TEN ( yes! TEN!) years ago just what is the point of whinging and bitching about what MIGHT have been? Could this sort of thinking be at the root of our ( perceived) " cultural " issues?
Doubt all this effects our players or coaches on the big days that have cost us flags.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:If Roo had not been run down in 2010 we might have won.
Wasn't that at the start of GF2? Not sure we were ever likely to win that one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Correct, it was the stupid GF replay (not GF2).

Would've loved extra time in the Grand Final rather than a replay. We prob still would've lost but at least it would've been done in the same day.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Would've loved extra time in the Grand Final rather than a replay. We prob still would've lost but at least it would've been done in the same day.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
bergholt wrote:

If Heath Shaw hadn't smothered that kick we would have got on a roll and gained momentum that would have been unstoppable. Lenny would have got the next clearance, BJ would have kicked a goal from the centre square. Well, I am allowed to dream aren't I?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Furphy
Club Player

We had Port on the ropes when those morons stormed the ground, most of them Port Adelaide fans trying to hold up play. GT dragged Gehrig off the field and all momentum was lost...the next goal went to PA almost as soon as play resumed. Remember that drunken old fool trying to attack Roo? As for Guerra evening the scores in the dying moments, it appeared he was too well covered to have got the goal and it was bad luck he turned the wrong direction with the ball.