Zac Dawson , if you can't appreciate what he does

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac Dawson , if you can't appreciate what he does

Dawson wasn't that good a player anyway. He was decent. Just as is the case at Freo, he doesn't get supported by a back six, it's a back 12. Job is a hell of a lot easier when you're rarely isolated one-on-one. He'll always go well under Lyon's coaching.

Should have played Max in 2009. (Dawson was sick anyway)

End of thread.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Absolute SPUD, didn't rate him when he was a Saint and still don't rate him!!!

Like RL, I'm glad he's gone!!!

As for Hughton v Dawson;
Maxy would've got a game in every other side in the comp, but Dawson would struggle at any other club unless RL was at the helm.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Absolute SPUD, didn't rate him when he was a Saint and still don't rate him!!!

As for Hughton v Dawson;
Maxy would've got a game in every other side in the comp, but Dawson would struggle at any other club unless RL was at the helm.

33 years old and continuous injuries in 2009....

Max lost his own spot due to no fault of his own.

Dawson had to play. Max was the risk in 2009.

And to elevate this forum from one that is used by kindergardener, not max over his whole career but max in 2009. Some idiots here think people are debating careers - get some sense, no one is - it's 2009. Remember back.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

oh yeah how many passes came into schultz that were spoiled by dawson?
oh thats right 20 goals from mids

guys a spud

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintbob wrote:Absolute SPUD, didn't rate him when he was a Saint and still don't rate him!!!

As for Hughton v Dawson;

33 years old and continuous injuries in 2009....

Max lost his own spot due to no fault of his own.

Dawson had to play. Max was the risk in 2009.

And to elevate this forum from one that is used by kindergardener, not max over his whole career but max in 2009. Some idiots here think people are debating careers - get some sense, no one is - it's 2009. Remember back.
I agree. There was always an ugly disrespect from the Saints fans towards Zac. He was a very solid player for us and we were worse for not replacing him straight away. He is one of the few players that can hold guys like Franklin one on one. He was struggling against the hulks like Cloke but most FBs do. Fans have in idea that a defender has failed if they have goals kicked on them but don't look at the bigger picture.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
chook23 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Hudghton, daylight...................................... Dawson. And that's generous!

NOT IN 2009 :roll:
Yes in any year

read it and weep
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/st ... 5776928115

I guess Ross Lyon disagrees with you

lyin..is well...a liar...he never ever picked the best team avilable to him........ever

...."Dawson was wobbly early on Friday night but improved as the game went on, and Lyon made an off-hand remark that at one point he wished he had selected the more experienced defender.

“When Zac was mis-matched a couple of times I thought 'Gee whiz, maybe I should have done that (selected Hudghton)',” he said.

“But until we come through unscathed we'll make a decision and we'll pick the best team.”

there is no doubt whatsover that max was the better player and should have played in the grandfinal as oppossed to a scared little girl who had been on a drip the night before...and lyin knew it.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Playon wrote:
chook23 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Hudghton, daylight...................................... Dawson. And that's generous!

Yes in any year

read it and weep

lyin..is well...a liar...he never ever picked the best team avilable to him........ever

...."Dawson was wobbly early on Friday night but improved as the game went on, and Lyon made an off-hand remark that at one point he wished he had selected the more experienced defender.

“When Zac was mis-matched a couple of times I thought 'Gee whiz, maybe I should have done that (selected Hudghton)',” he said.

“But until we come through unscathed we'll make a decision and we'll pick the best team.”

there is no doubt whatsover that max was the better player and should have played in the grandfinal as oppossed to a scared little girl who had been on a drip the night before...and lyin knew it.....

That is such a immature last line. Seriously.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Max was a good average player. He took few contested marks in his career and was a poor kick (and was only one sided). He had two strengths - dumb courage and the ability to punch the ball away without infringing. The first of these was often used after he stuffed up in the first place - better than nothing. The second is fine when marking is not an option, but to do it every time is stupid. But, he didn't have the skills or height to do otherwise.

Zac was somewhat better, especially since he was at the beginning of his career rather than at the end like Max. Again, his main form of defence was the punch away. His disposal was better than Max's and he is taller.

Neither of them is, or was, an A grade key defender at full back. Our hope there was Luke Penny. I guess some posters never saw him, even though he only played ten years ago. Luke was a high draft pick at Footscray, and you could see why. He could kick both feet and long. He could take an overhead contested mark. Premierships are won on defences almost all the time these days. A few of ours went out the window when he went down.

If there was one type of player I hope we find in the next couple of years, it's a champion full back who can play with the club for a decade. Once the foundation is laid, the true rebuilding can start.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I would hope he took bugger all contested grabs.
Should be spoiling as first priority

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:oh yeah how many passes came into schultz that were spoiled by dawson?
oh thats right 20 goals from mids

guys a spud

How is that even relevant? Obviously they weren't kicking to Shultz because he was never free or in good position due to his defender.

You can call him a spud but don't trot out irrelevant stats.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Playon wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Yes in any year

read it and weep

That is such a immature last line. Seriously.

Lol did anyone else read the article and think that it didn't contribute to what playon was saying....

What is this. Quoting stats, articles that actually don't align to the argument their using them for.

Also, how old are you stinger? You like changing peoples names too, similar to those who use the weagles, swines and bumbers... It's tacky.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Zac is solid, without being great.

Good to have to have in your back six as a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Bad management is bad management
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
stinger wrote:
Playon wrote:
chook23 wrote:

Yes in any year

read it and weep

Lol did anyone else read the article and think that it didn't contribute to what playon was saying....

What is this. Quoting stats, articles that actually don't align to the argument their using them for.

Also, how old are you stinger? You like changing peoples names too, similar to those who use the weagles, swines and bumbers... It's tacky.
what's my age got to do with what i post ...and yes i like referring to opposition scum as the filth, the scumbaggers, the cheats, the dulbogs etc ...because those names actually suit those sides...again so what??...i suggest you keep your eyes on the topic and not attack the poster... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Zac is solid, without being great.

he plays scared and has a nasty little habit of punching players from positions where they can't see what is coming.......a dirty scared little sniper if you ask me.....but hey...lyin is most welcome to him....unless he can pick up frawley ..then he will dump him like a used pair of socks...just like he did to the saints.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:Zac is solid, without being great.

he plays scared and has a nasty little habit of punching players from positions where they can't see what is coming.......a dirty scared little sniper if you ask me.....but hey...lyin is most welcome to him....unless he can pick up frawley ..then he will dump him like a used pair of socks...just like he did to the saints.....

Yep you have the game covered well Stinger.

Club Player

Back in our heyday my kids gave nicknames to three players based on comments from me they must have overheard when they were playing - the names: Unforgiveable (Bakes), BK (Zac) , and "time and again"(Blake).

They told me BK stood for brainless knob, an expression they inexplicably link to Zac Dawson. How such a thing came about I have no idea!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
stinger
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Back in our heyday my kids gave nicknames to three players based on comments from me they must have overheard when they were playing - the names: Unforgiveable (Bakes), BK (Zac) , and "time and again"(Blake).

They told me BK stood for brainless knob, an expression they inexplicably link to Zac Dawson. How such a thing came about I have no idea!
:wink: :D ......... :twisted:

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I never thought Zac was that good a player; relatively weak one-on-one, often caught out of position, and an average disposer of the footy at best, but you can't argue against the fact he has been regularly selected for 2 different teams contending strongly for premierships over the past 6 seasons. Clearly he was/is rated by the selectors for those teams. And they are closer to the action than certainly I am anyway, so perhaps they know a bit more about it than I do.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:I never thought Zac was that good a player; relatively weak one-on-one, often caught out of position, and an average disposer of the footy at best, but you can't argue against the fact he has been regularly selected for 2 different teams contending strongly for premierships over the past 6 seasons. Clearly he was/is rated by the selectors for those teams. And they are closer to the action than certainly I am anyway, so perhaps they know a bit more about it than I do.
no he was selected by two teams who had the same coach....one guy's personal view....imho...the guy who talked him out of an early retirement......if it wasn;t for lyin ..no-one would even know who zac was.....

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

A coach who has had teams in grand finals in 3 seasons out of 8 ... and lots of finals in other years. And I don't think selection is a one-man band these days anyway. Whether you like Lyon or not, or like they way his teams play, it's clear he is a very effective coach.

I'm still not a fan of Zac, but he keeps getting picked ...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:A coach who has had teams in grand finals in 3 seasons out of 8 ... and lots of finals in other years. And I don't think selection is a one-man band these days anyway. Whether you like Lyon or not, or like they way his teams play, it's clear he is a very effective coach.

he won't be next year............. if frawley signs with the shockers......

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
St DAC wrote:A coach who has had teams in grand finals in 3 seasons out of 8 ... and lots of finals in other years. And I don't think selection is a one-man band these days anyway. Whether you like Lyon or not, or like they way his teams play, it's clear he is a very effective coach.

Of course he will stinger…

Frawley may replace McPharlin, but not Dawson.
Last edited by dragit on Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

Of course he will stinger… he's contracted for starters.

we will see...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

we will see...
He's been picked by ross every game for 6 years straight, unless injured.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

we will see...
He's been picked by ross every game for 6 years straight, unless injured.

yeah...well that says a lot really......he cost us goals and a possible flag.....he has cost the shockers in some games i've watch as well....i really don't rate the guy as a footballer....